Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011
Stealth Symphony (Author: Narita Ryohgo known by Baccano!/Durarara!!)

Pretty good new Shounen Jump series. I especially liked the setting as it reminded me of Shadowrun via having lots of different races, advanced cyber technology and everyone doing short contract jobs. Seems like it might end soon due to low ratings though.

MrCinos fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Bakanogami posted:

Majime na Jikan

Girl dies in a traffic accident. Quick 9 chapter manga that's basically about her as a ghost, coming to terms with her death and her remaining regrets. Cliche, perhaps, but it got a couple laughs out of me and some tears at the end.

This was sweet, I liked it. Though I thought it ended on a bit of a weird note, shifting to the other guy and leaving Kazusa sort of in limbo. Oh well.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I really hope Stealth Symphony doesn't get canned because my god it is so good.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Well if you like it you should probably support it by paying for the legal translation instead of reading that awful scanlation. http://shonenjump.viz.com

coathat fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 6, 2014

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Punctuation "marks" around random "words"? Definitely Narita.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Gundam: The Origin

I thought about posting something from a fight scene, but I'm enjoying the out-of-suit stuff more. It's a really faithful adaptation (to the movie versions), but I feel like they're giving the Zeon commanders a lot more weight.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Bakanogami posted:

Keyman - The Hand of Judgement

Kind of like a manga take on certain US superhero comics, especially Watchmen only the main character is an angry T-Rex detective.

This is an interesting series, I wonder if the artist was an assistant to Khota Hirano. Though it's got that same cliche that that Vampire Bund manga had where there's an old person in the body of a scantily clad young girl which is weird. Goddamn manga fetishes. I can't recommend it to anybody into western comics who hasn't also read a lot of manga because of that.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 6, 2014

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

So if I'm reading this right, mustache guy grabs blanket guy's dick. Is that right?

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Kramjacks posted:

So if I'm reading this right, mustache guy grabs blanket guy's dick. Is that right?

I think that was intentional, but he's actually just revealing Amuro's gun in his waistband. There's romantic tension there between Ramba Ral, his wife and Amuro, but Mobile Suit Gundam was a kid's show, so it's definitely not that explicit. I do think they've been playing up the Yaoi pairings a bit in Origin, though. It's been a while since I've seen the show, but I don't remember there being so many scenes with Char and Garma hanging out without shirts on.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

coathat posted:

Well if you like it you should probably support it by paying for the legal translation instead of reading that awful scanlation. http://shonenjump.viz.com

Huh, I didn't even know it was in there...I should really put that subscription to more use than just One Punch Man.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Keyman has a fantastic style but like you said it's really hard to recommend due to being really creepy whenever a woman is on panel, and that's a shame because t-rex cop fuckin' rules.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah all the beastmen look awesome. Reminds me of Blacksad kinda.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

MrCinos posted:

Shibatora (15 volumes)

^ Main character is a policeman who practices kendo and works in youth division where his child-like appearance is very useful. Aside from investigating/solving crimes he, of course, is also doing some guidance.

How come the drug addict father is referenced as "stimulant-drugged father"? Why isn't it said he uses some specific drug like heroin or cocaine or something?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

ManOfTheYear posted:

How come the drug addict father is referenced as "stimulant-drugged father"? Why isn't it said he uses some specific drug like heroin or cocaine or something?
Because if you talk about "stimulants" in Japan it is implied that you are talking about Meth.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

tonberrytoby posted:

Because if you talk about "stimulants" in Japan it is implied that you are talking about Meth.

Huh, okay. It would be interesting to know more about Japan and drugs though, I read Jake Adelstein's book Tokyo Vice last year and it didn't have anything about drugs in it.

I'd like to read some actually good police manga, Shibatora is a bit meh for me, it's unrealistic drama in a pretty melodramatic way. Humors a bit forced too, as people have already mentioned in this thread.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Japan is pretty weird when it comes to drugs. Smoking pot is like being a crack head. But "stimulants" can just be seen as something that helps you put in that extra 12 hour shift at the office.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

ManOfTheYear posted:

Huh, okay. It would be interesting to know more about Japan and drugs though, I read Jake Adelstein's book Tokyo Vice last year and it didn't have anything about drugs in it.

I'd like to read some actually good police manga, Shibatora is a bit meh for me, it's unrealistic drama in a pretty melodramatic way. Humors a bit forced too, as people have already mentioned in this thread.

How about Mad Bull 34 :unsmigghh:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
There is something wrong with that man.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

If you like Madbull you should really check out the OVA, it rules and has an extremely fitting dub. Pretty sure you can find it all on youtube.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Police manga? Try Jiraishin.

It's very 90s and fairly NSFW. Ran from '92-'99, complete at 19 volumes and has a 3 volume sequel for all your lone-wolf cop manga needs.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Ibram Gaunt posted:

If you like Madbull you should really check out the OVA, it rules and has an extremely fitting dub. Pretty sure you can find it all on youtube.

Chip and Ironicus took a look at it as part of the Anime Theater way back

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx

Everything Burrito posted:

Police manga? Try Jiraishin.

It's very 90s and fairly NSFW. Ran from '92-'99, complete at 19 volumes and has a 3 volume sequel for all your lone-wolf cop manga needs.

Really good, especially the later arcs. The art gets amazing as well.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I believe Diskotek put it out on dvd pretty recently with both the english and japanese dubs (which had Akio Otsuka as Sleepy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJkXnJU8SPE
NSFW, incidentally.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sen to Man is a comedy about a single not-exactly-the-world's-best dad raising his 6th grade daughter. But he tries, drat it! And also trolls her a bit, as is a parent's right, and she trolls him, as is a kid's right.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Good stuff. I'm always a sucker for single dad manga, and this one does a decent job of portraying a single parent-child relationship in a more realistic, less saccharine way.

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

Fushigi Na Shounen

A bittersweet, episodic manga about an all-powerful boy's observations of humanity across time.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

chumbler posted:

Sen to Man is a comedy about a single not-exactly-the-world's-best dad raising his 6th grade daughter. But he tries, drat it! And also trolls her a bit, as is a parent's right, and she trolls him, as is a kid's right.

This was a really fun read. It kind of reminds me of Yotsubato only with a daughter a few years older and less silly.

coathat posted:

This too, there's just so much creativity in the characters here. If this is in Jump I hope it goes on for a long run there.

To add some content, I also read Karakasa no Saien, short series about a guy running from his psychotic murderer stalker/girlfriend and winding up at a remote inn run by a god and a witch who aren't much more sane.

After a few chapters either the writing or the translation goes a little shifty, and there are some gory bits, but I still kind of enjoyed it overall.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ryuushika Ryuushika, Yoshitoshi ABe's take on a Yotsuba-like character.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Nate RFB posted:

Ryuushika Ryuushika, Yoshitoshi ABe's take on a Yotsuba-like character.

I loooove this, a bit more than Yotsuba&, in fact. It's basically the same as Yotsuba& but it's got an extra edge of slight craziness/surrealness that makes it really fun to read.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Shishunki Bitter Change - Boy and girl swap bodies. It's basically a sort of slice of life with a bit of a melancholy feeling due to the fact the switch happens in elementary school and they realize they're probably stuck for the forseeable future when it continues into middle school.

The only bad part is the translators adding lovely /a/-tier edgy joke pages to the end of each chapter.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Suben posted:

Shishunki Bitter Change - Boy and girl swap bodies. It's basically a sort of slice of life with a bit of a melancholy feeling due to the fact the switch happens in elementary school and they realize they're probably stuck for the forseeable future when it continues into middle school.

The only bad part is the translators adding lovely /a/-tier edgy joke pages to the end of each chapter.

I read this a little while back. A nice new drawn-out take on a tired cliche.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Azumi

Kigurumi Boueitai

Mob Psycho 100, by ONE

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yup, that sure is a Lily Hoshino manga.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Latest things I've been reading:

Ore to Hero to Mahou Shoujo

Manly dude gets a thing to transform him into a Kamen Rider-style hero, it turns him into a cute little magical girl instead. Somewhat mediocre, but I just loved these pages for some reason.

Oddman 11

Linked because it has some light nudity: :nws:http://i.imgur.com/lac5y9z.jpg:nws:

One of Dowman Sayman's series, it's basically a genderswapped version of Scott Pilgrim vs the World, with a girl trying to defeat all of a guy's weird exes. It's got some adult humor, but I like the comedic side of it.

Nanika Mochigattemasu ka

From the guy who made Bokurano and Narutaru, guy with a low level superpower he's not very good with meets another guy who's a sociopath in the same vein as Light from Death Note. Here he explains phase one of his master plan:

Suashi no Meteorite

The plot kind of meanders and it's not very good when it's serious, but it's pretty good when it decides to be silly.

Aho Girl

Same mangaka as Mangaka-san to Assisstant-san to, 4koma series about a girl who's basically too stupid to function and her childhood friend.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Aho girl got a lot less funny once I realized she wasn't just comically stupid, but rather mentally handicapped. Then it just became a bunch of people being mean to a retarded girl.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

This is my pick for Chaosic Rune, which I started reading through this thread. I this particular page really sums the whole thing up, it's full of ridiculous moments like this. Those bikes are both monsters.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Serious Frolicking posted:

Aho girl got a lot less funny once I realized she wasn't just comically stupid, but rather mentally handicapped. Then it just became a bunch of people being mean to a retarded girl.

Isn't that Manga Assistant series the one where he's constantly sexually harassing her too? Seems like the author's just a piece of poo poo in that case

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Bakanogami posted:

Nanika Mochigattemasu ka

From the guy who made Bokurano and Narutaru, guy with a low level superpower he's not very good with meets another guy who's a sociopath in the same vein as Light from Death Note. Here he explains phase one of his master plan:

This series is several years old, I wonder why the translations suddenly dropped so early.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Bakanogami posted:

Oddman 11

Linked because it has some light nudity: :nws:http://i.imgur.com/lac5y9z.jpg:nws:

One of Dowman Sayman's series, it's basically a genderswapped version of Scott Pilgrim vs the World, with a girl trying to defeat all of a guy's weird exes. It's got some adult humor, but I like the comedic side of it.

Yep, that sure is a Dowman Sayman series, alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Shokugeki no Soma

A surprisingly well written cooking manga about an elite high school that basically runs on Iron Chef competitions.

• Locked thread