Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo all of korea needs to get stoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
did not know that Russia and North-Korea shared a border

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korea%E2%80%93Russia_border

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Is the joke there that there are no nuclear sites?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bloodnose posted:

Is the joke there that there are no nuclear sites?
No nuclear sites, few Arabs.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The joke is that they tried to ram the omg nukes angle into a simple ethnographic map.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

It's amazing for having not been that long ago. I suspect its use had declined already, but finding any kind of real information about it in the 20th century is so full of propaganda that it's basically impossible.

People have an impressive capacity to forget though. Another Park era thing is that everyone leaves the windows open while the heat is on in winter. This is now a weird Chinese medicine/bad air makes you sick/grandma said thing and it's hard to have any kind of real discussion about, but it originated in the 60s because the old Korean heating systems used coal, so people dropped like flies all winter due to carbon monoxide poisoning. So the government made it a law to keep a window open, which largely eliminated the problem. Ask a hundred Koreans about this history and the origins of the open window letting all the loving heat out and I'd be shocked if two of them knew it. It's not taught and so the knowledge is just gone.

lovely history education, a plague all around the world.

What's the deal with the fans?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Trench_Rat posted:

I did, but that's just because I read one of the most interesting travel reports ever written: Vienna-Pyongyang via railway.

These people found out that:
- There's a single train car going from Russia to North Korea once a week.
- Russian railways sells/sold tickets to Pyongyang (it's simply in the list of stations, nobody bothered making an exception for it)
- North Korean tourist visas don't list a point of entry because everyone always enters through China.

So they booked a regular North Korea tour, which means being surrounded by guards at all times. They got a ticket to Pyongyang from Russia, and they made sure that their travel agent got an e-mail of their real plans *after* they entered North Korea.

With a lot of luck, they managed to get through the Russian-North Korea border crossing, spent 36 hours WITHOUT tourist guards, and then did the regular tourist tour without any trouble.

I mean, they easily could've been arrested or shot on sight by the North Korean police/military. They got lucky and they managed to keep their cool.

What I'm saying is, read their story. It's awesome.

Also, don't try this yourself. North Korean border controls have gotten more strict since this incident.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

I did, but that's just because I read one of the most interesting travel reports ever written: Vienna-Pyongyang via railway.
Holy poo poo, this is way better than some Latvian story about aerobics festival in North Korea I saw a few years ago.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Does anybody have a link to that Russian guy's blog about studying in North Korea as part of an exchange program? It was really interesting and uncensored. By the way, I recently found out there is an exchange between my university (Prague) and Pyongyang - sadly there were no students interested in filling the quota in the recent years!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Does anybody have a link to that Russian guy's blog about studying in North Korea as part of an exchange program? It was really interesting and uncensored. By the way, I recently found out there is an exchange between my university (Prague) and Pyongyang - sadly there were no students interested in filling the quota in the recent years!
You might mean this.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Carbon dioxide posted:

Also, don't try this yourself. North Korean border controls have gotten more strict since this incident.

Border controls got more strict because of this.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Trench_Rat posted:

There are a lot of North-Koreans 'working' in Russia. It's seen as better then working in a factory or something in NK itself, but it's still poo poo work.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Davincie posted:

There are a lot of North-Koreans 'working' in Russia. It's seen as better then working in a factory or something in NK itself, but it's still poo poo work.
They also, coincidentally, are the most favourite type of immigrants to illegally hire. Excellent discipline, quite productive and you're sure that they neither of them can run off somewhere or complain anywhere.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

kalstrams posted:

They also, coincidentally, are the most favourite type of immigrants to illegally hire. Excellent discipline, quite productive and you're sure that they neither of them can run off somewhere or complain anywhere.

Can't they just run away to Siberia or something? I mean it's better than NK...

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Quite a few try to escape, but they work on lumber yards (at least the ones whose accounts I read) in the middle of nowhere so even if they escape they freeze to death. There's a sort of underground railroad thing operating though which saves about 1/10 of the guys escaping lucky enough to find them. Most just freeze or get shot.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Hogge Wild posted:

Coal powered.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Davincie posted:

Quite a few try to escape, but they work on lumber yards (at least the ones whose accounts I read) in the middle of nowhere so even if they escape they freeze to death. There's a sort of underground railroad thing operating though which saves about 1/10 of the guys escaping lucky enough to find them. Most just freeze or get shot.

Also they only send men with families to work in China or Russia. The workers know that if they run their families are the ones punished.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Frostwerks posted:

Coal powered.

:psyduck: Wait, does that mean that at some point in the past, the Fan Death thing actually made sense? If you were burning low quality coal in an area with poor ventilation, would leaving a fan on overnight increase the circulation in the air such as to make carbon monoxide poisoning more likely?

I mean, I'd heard of the Fan Death superstition before, but I've never heard an explanation of why it might have at some point in the past have had some actual validity.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hogge Wild posted:

No idea. If I were to guess, I'd bet it was made up to encourage people to turn them off and save electricity back when it was less available. It's also used as a euphemism for suicides and especially deaths by alcohol poisoning.

Reveilled posted:

:psyduck: Wait, does that mean that at some point in the past, the Fan Death thing actually made sense?

You missed the joke.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Pretty sure he was being facetious.

According to a probably fairly biased Korean source, fan death is actually real, just extremely rare. It's just one of those things that gets given ridiculous prominence beyond what's reasonable.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Koramei posted:

Pretty sure he was being facetious.

According to a probably fairly biased Korean source, fan death is actually real, just extremely rare. It's just one of those things that gets given ridiculous prominence beyond what's reasonable.

But the supposed mechanism behind fan death is completely nonsensical though, I think it's more likely that there's a few people who died another way that couldn't be determined in their sleep and happened to have a fan in the room.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

But the supposed mechanism behind fan death is completely nonsensical though, I think it's more likely that there's a few people who died another way that couldn't be determined in their sleep and happened to have a fan in the room.

I would bet you 90% of "fan death" cases were alcohol poisoning.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I don't know, my eyes glazed over when I was reading it. Here it is if you care enough.

It's plenty dumb but it's not like we don't get worried about completely ridiculous stuff ourselves, I'm not sure why fan death is the target of quite so much flak.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Grand Fromage posted:

You missed the joke.

No, I got that he was being facetious, I was just wondering if the electric fans were around at the same time as those coal heaters you mentioned, and given that the Korean superstition around keeping windows open originates in carbon monoxide poisoning, could the fan death thing have come from the same place, an actual real danger which fell away to be left with an old wives tale? And now nobody remembers the carbon monoxide thing or the coal fires, so bullshit reasons have to be made up for why it is still real?

I figure that sort of hinges on whether having a fan in a room with an elevated carbon monoxide level and poor ventilation, but it'd be very interesting if it did.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Koramei posted:

I don't know, my eyes glazed over when I was reading it. Here it is if you care enough.

It's plenty dumb but it's not like we don't get worried about completely ridiculous stuff ourselves, I'm not sure why fan death is the target of quite so much flak.

Because it's a foreign superstition that looks totally silly and ridiculous to people in the west. People who then go on to completely trust that "superfoods" are a thing or that they only use 10% of their brains.

What I'm saying is that it's a combination of racism and our collective inability to self-reflect as a society.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Koramei posted:

Its the target of as much flak as anything else made fun of around here, do you really think that people who mock homeopathy, creationism, anti-vaccine scares and all that other poo poo have some special obsession with fan death?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Reveilled posted:

No, I got that he was being facetious, I was just wondering if the electric fans were around at the same time as those coal heaters you mentioned, and given that the Korean superstition around keeping windows open originates in carbon monoxide poisoning, could the fan death thing have come from the same place, an actual real danger which fell away to be left with an old wives tale? And now nobody remembers the carbon monoxide thing or the coal fires, so bullshit reasons have to be made up for why it is still real?

I figure that sort of hinges on whether having a fan in a room with an elevated carbon monoxide level and poor ventilation, but it'd be very interesting if it did.

I don't think so. The one medical thing I've seen is that if you are in a sealed room with a fan on you and the room is above body temperature, the fan basically becomes a heater and that can potentially be a thing if your body can't deal with it. But that's an extremely rare confluence of events and what I read is that it might have happened once. Euphemism for embarrassing deaths is the reality.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

khwarezm posted:

Its the target of as much flak as anything else made fun of around here, do you really think that people who mock homeopathy, creationism, anti-vaccine scares and all that other poo poo have some special obsession with fan death?

This is the first time I've seen it mentioned on SA, I was talking about in general. It's probably third on the list of 'things people know about South Korea' after Gangnam Style and dog eating.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grand Fromage posted:

I would bet you 90% of "fan death" cases were alcohol poisoning.

I thought it was supposed to be the polite term for suicide.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

computer parts posted:

I thought it was supposed to be the polite term for suicide.

It's both. That was an overstatement, it's probably more like if it was a younger person or woman it's likely suicide, if it was an older man I'd bet on alcohol poisoning.

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Japanese art would indicate a ship came from Korea by carving a giant High Times :2bong: pot leaf on it.
When your people have a history of being constantly conquered and re-conquered the only thing you can do is sit back with your bong and go with the flow.

Korea's stoner history kind of makes sense now. I mean they invented this..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budae_jjigae

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't think so. The one medical thing I've seen is that if you are in a sealed room with a fan on you and the room is above body temperature, the fan basically becomes a heater and that can potentially be a thing if your body can't deal with it. But that's an extremely rare confluence of events and what I read is that it might have happened once. Euphemism for embarrassing deaths is the reality.

It could be that North Korean agents used this technique as torture, point fans at someone who's tied down in a closed hot room, and in three days he'll say everything. So South Korean government indoctrinated people to fear the fans, thus dying from heart attack before spilling state secrets. :v:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

One of the Koreans' solutions to fan death was to put timers on fans, which is actually really handy. I have a fan with a timer on it and it'll cool you off and make white noise to help you get to sleep, but automatically shut itself off before it makes the room too cold.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Wow, I wanted to say thank you for being such a good information source on Korea and taking your time to write it down, it's always interesting to read. :)

I don't really find that dish to be that weird actually, it was invented when food was scarce and it probably tastes alright.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Koramei posted:

This is the first time I've seen it mentioned on SA, I was talking about in general. It's probably third on the list of 'things people know about South Korea' after Gangnam Style and dog eating.

Some time ago there was a debate about draft superstitions in various countries in the Eastern Europe thread, and it turned out that pretty much every nation outside the English speaking world has its variation of fan death that is religiously followed by lots of people. So it's not even unique.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Kamrat posted:

Wow, I wanted to say thank you for being such a good information source on Korea and taking your time to write it down, it's always interesting to read. :)

I'm glad somebody enjoys it, sometimes I feel like I'm Koreaposting too much but it's where I live so it comes up a lot.

If I were dictator of Korea my first act would be to give everyone a full week off work and issue weed to all citizens. Get everyone to chill the gently caress out, then we have a talk afterward.

Budae jjigae is gross but there is a LOT of Korean food that was clearly invented while drunk as gently caress. Such as the traditional Korean corn dog covered with french fries and often rolled in sugar or corn syrup.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 15, 2014

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Koramei posted:

SA is where I first heard about it. First I thought that it had been made up here, because I couldn't believe that people really thought it was real.

Modus Operandi posted:

When your people have a history of being constantly conquered and re-conquered the only thing you can do is sit back with your bong and go with the flow.

Korea's stoner history kind of makes sense now. I mean they invented this..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budae_jjigae

Isn't US Army introduced surplus spam part of cuisine in lots of places?

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm glad somebody enjoys it, sometimes I feel like I'm Koreaposting too much but it's where I live so it comes up a lot.

If I were dictator of Korea my first act would be to give everyone a full week off work and issue weed to all citizens. Get everyone to chill the gently caress out, then we have a talk afterward.

Budae jjigae is gross but there is a LOT of Korean food that was clearly invented while drunk as gently caress. Such as the traditional Korean corn dog covered with french fries and often rolled in sugar or corn syrup.

Would probably eat that at 4am.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hogge Wild posted:

Isn't US Army introduced surplus spam part of cuisine in lots of places?

Yep, you can track a lot of the US military's history by places Spam is popular.

Hogge Wild posted:

Would probably eat that at 4am.

Shame the stalls that have it usually close by like 8 or 9 PM. Though if you're in a big drinking area there's a decent chance of finding tents still serving assorted slop.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Baloogan posted:

Holy poo poo all of korea needs to get stoned.

You know, looking at that map the Russians are kind of dicks for not letting China have access to the Sea of Japan.