Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

vOv posted:

There is one upside to the new Gatherer redesign: they fixed exclamation marks in flavor texts not showing up.

But the cursor no longer defaults to the search bar.

I have to hit tab three times :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Zorak posted:

I was listening to one of the recent MagicTVs and they commented on the possibility and idea that had been put to Wizards to ban the fetches in Modern in order to reduce the sheer amount of shuffling in matches. Is it realistic that it could ever happen?

No.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zorak posted:

I was listening to one of the recent MagicTVs and they commented on the possibility and idea that had been put to Wizards to ban the fetches in Modern in order to reduce the sheer amount of shuffling in matches. Is it realistic that it could ever happen?

It would piss off basically the entire existing Modern player base who've spent a ton of money on Fetches.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Entropic posted:

It would piss off basically the entire existing Modern player base who've spent a ton of money on Fetches.

So would reprinting them, but hopefully that happens sometime soon.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Jabor posted:

So would reprinting them, but hopefully that happens sometime soon.

Reprinting them has the benefit of pleasing a whole bunch of players though, plus being something where they can say "we told you these were reprintable".

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Good lord, after going 1-2 and 0-3 in Vintage drafts, I've officially determined I have terrible card evaluation skills. It feels just like cube, I end up with a random pile of cards in vaguely similar colours, and get trounced by people who are playing actual decks.

Now that legacy events are paying out in VMA packs, though, it makes more sense to pick up the rapidly falling duals. Given the reprints, does anyone know of good legacy decks that can take advantage of them? Yes, I know Burn and Dredge, but I was thinking of decks that actually interact and reward play, but don't run Wastelands/Gaea's Cradle/Port/other expensive non-reprinted cards.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I played for the first time in nearly 10+ years today. Holy poo poo has this game changed! I remember I got out of it back in the day because someone would read about a great deck online and drop $500 on a deck. Has it gotten any more fun/easier for a casual player to show up with a $30-50 deck and compete? Also what would be the most effective way to get back into the swing of things and learn the new sets? Just go buy some boosters or a starter deck? I always liked coming up with my own gimmicky or theme decks and trying to come up with my own designs. That was more fun to me than just reading about one and buying a set.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Zorak posted:

e: Same MagicTV also brought up the idea that they'd never be printed in Standard again for similar reasons.

I think people put a LOT more stock in the comment Maro made about avoiding shuffling effects. Avoiding it doesn't mean neve.r again

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Zorak posted:

e: Same MagicTV also brought up the idea that they'd never be printed in Standard again for similar reasons.

I started playing recently so never got to play with them last time around but if fetches were in a Standard environment where the dual lands in rotation didn't have basic land types & there also weren't any landfall effects, would they even be a must-include? I think I understand their role in a Modern manabase (since with shock lands or whatever they can basically fetch any combination of colors) but without that, they don't seem all that helpful.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Zorak posted:

I started playing recently so never got to play with them last time around but if fetches were in a Standard environment where the dual lands in rotation didn't have basic land types & there also weren't any landfall effects, would they even be a must-include? I think I understand their role in a Modern manabase (since with shock lands or whatever they can basically fetch any combination of colors) but without that, they don't seem all that helpful.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

jassi007 posted:

I think people put a LOT more stock in the comment Maro made about avoiding shuffling effects. Avoiding it doesn't mean neve.r again

Well it was more Josh Utter-Leyton and Tom Martell agreeing with other pros that the fetches make so much of modern tournament play just endless shuffling, which isn't fun. And they thought that them being reprinted in Standard would basically just result in a less enjoyable standard due to the endless obnoxious shuffling.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I don't really get where the dislike for shuffle effects comes from, especially since removing it means removing good land ramp and the ability to search for creatures.

Also, VM's interesting because it's really a good predictor for what the likely outcome would be if the reserve list were ever actually abolished and the cards on it reprinted effectively without limit.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I played for the first time in nearly 10+ years today. Holy poo poo has this game changed! I remember I got out of it back in the day because someone would read about a great deck online and drop $500 on a deck. Has it gotten any more fun/easier for a casual player to show up with a $30-50 deck and compete? Also what would be the most effective way to get back into the swing of things and learn the new sets? Just go buy some boosters or a starter deck? I always liked coming up with my own gimmicky or theme decks and trying to come up with my own designs. That was more fun to me than just reading about one and buying a set.
No, it's even worse because there are more people playing so the demand for the cards in top decks has driven the prices even higher. You can do a $50-100 competitve-ish Standard deck, especially if you like (in current Standard) playing white weenie, sligh/red deck wins, or green ramp (although even that isn't that cheap thanks to Courser).

Modern you could get by maybe without fetches but even if you could get around them most of the staple cards in the popular decks add up to $200 even before you spend another $400 on lands.

Still, it's better for you to buy individual cards then just cracking packs.

I don't know about brews, I don't really feel like there are successful brews these days because online testing means that the established archetypes get really fine-tuned to be able to handle themselves.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

goferchan posted:

If they reprint fetches they'll be in a set with a mechanic that can make use of them even without Duals with Basic Land Types. Landfall or Threshold or maybe something new.

And I will also never understand hate for shuffling. Can someone post/link one of these decks that supposedly does constant shuffling so I can see it for myself?

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Fetches are getting reprinted. They would not ban them anyways, but they're back in next year.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

born on a buy you posted:

Fetches are getting reprinted. They would not ban them anyways, but they're back in next year.

What makes you so sure they'll be reprinted so soon?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

A lot of people think that because the RAV duals are rotating out, plus the high prices, the fetches are going to be reprinted immediately. I don't really see why they would be, the big spike in price happened too late for that to be a factor in whether or not they print them this fall. I mean it's possible that we see them that soon, but I don't see a particular reason why it's more likely to be this year than in a couple of years.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Attorney at Funk posted:

What makes you so sure they'll be reprinted so soon?

It'd be incredibly dumb for them not to and they had said they had major modern reprints planned.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Zorak posted:

Well it was more Josh Utter-Leyton and Tom Martell agreeing with other pros that the fetches make so much of modern tournament play just endless shuffling, which isn't fun. And they thought that them being reprinted in Standard would basically just result in a less enjoyable standard due to the endless obnoxious shuffling.

Would it work okay as a set with a Garruk-style clause like "reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a [basic land] or [other basic]. Put that land into play tapped, then put the revealed cards on the bottom of your library in any order." or does that not save enough time over the current shuffle-cut arrangement?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

redstormpopcorn posted:

Would it work okay as a set with a Garruk-style clause like "reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a [basic land] or [other basic]. Put that land into play tapped, then put the revealed cards on the bottom of your library in any order." or does that not save enough time over the current shuffle-cut arrangement?

Then you run the risk of not getting the colour you want/need with that method.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

You're going to be cursing yourself in a year or two. Or maybe not. Who knows! :toot:

I'll buy one again when it's half that.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

TheKingofSprings posted:

Then you run the risk of not getting the colour you want/need with that method.

With that rough sketch, yeah. Ideally it would have you name one of two land types and add another clause (shuffle everything? exile revealed cards instead?) to prevent fail-to-find from letting you set up your perfect draws for the rest of the game.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

TheKingofSprings posted:

I don't really get where the dislike for shuffle effects comes from, especially since removing it means removing good land ramp and the ability to search for creatures.

From a mechanical standpoint, it's great. From a practical standpoint of having a bunch of cards that enforce a prolonged physical action, it's miserable and annoying.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Why aren't "My cardboard futures investment fund" and "They're for sure reprinting fetches this time" on the same line, I want a bingo

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
For anyone who sucks at drafting or is overwhelmed by the nuances of VMA limited, my suggestion is just force mono Goblins. You'll be guaranteed at least 2 wins in swiss, you can pretty much draft on autopilot as it's basically always wide open, and you'll be surprised at how satisfying it is to beat face with 4x Hulking Goblin and friends.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

MiddleEastBeast posted:

For anyone who sucks at drafting or is overwhelmed by the nuances of VMA limited, my suggestion is just force mono Goblins. You'll be guaranteed at least 2 wins in swiss, you can pretty much draft on autopilot as it's basically always wide open, and you'll be surprised at how satisfying it is to beat face with 4x Hulking Goblin and friends.

Tons of people are doing this, too. Be ready to deal with aggro decks.

I have tried to do some cute stuff, and gotten burned. I went 2-1 with a nearly mono-black deck, though.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

It'd be incredibly dumb for them not to and they had said they had major modern reprints planned.

If you're so sure about it feel free to join my :toxx: that they won't be in Huey block. Losing side bans themselves. I've had one taker so far.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I drafted a really solid goblin deck and just ran into a loving wall round one against a b/w control deck loaded with Death's-Head Buzzards and Teroh's Faithful. Two of the most frustrating games of my life.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

You might not be aware, but the planning and preparation for printing product happens so far in advance that Wizards can't respond at all to things that are readily apparent even months before a product is released so the demand for fetches and their prices, and all the accompanying grumbling, likely had very little to no impact on whether or not fetches are reprinted in the next couple of sets.

This is a very difficult concept for 90% of the MTG Community to comprehend.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
The sets Design is working on right now won't be released for about two and a half years. The behemoth that is Magic talks a long time to respond.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Elyv posted:

Why aren't "My cardboard futures investment fund" and "They're for sure reprinting fetches this time" on the same line, I want a bingo

So instead of playing boring standard FNM on Friday and dying to 1000 Pack Rats or broken format-ruining garbage like Sphinx's Revelation, I decided to play legacy. I have Miracles dead in 1 turn to 2 big Goyfs and a Deathrite when what does he topdeck? REST IN PEACE! So now he's on a 6 turn clock from Deathrite Beats if I don't draw an Abrupt Decay, which I don't. So I draw 5 lands, go in for the kill with a topdecked Bloodbraid Elf (cascading into an Abrupt Decay against his empty board because of course it does.) and Dr. Shaman, only to be Snapcaster Swordsed and chumped. So he goes on to win at 1 life because my deck forgets it has creatures or burn spells for the next 10 turns or so. I reminded him to thank his lord and savior Ken Nagle for designing terrible cards like Rest in Peace. Too bad legacy is going to be a totally dead format in the next month or 2, I actually kinda like it, aside from Miracles. Plus I have all this money invested into my legacy cardboard stuff already.

Do I win?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Stinky Pit posted:

You might not be aware, but the planning and preparation for printing product happens so far in advance that Wizards can't respond at all to things that are readily apparent even months before a product is released so the demand for fetches and their prices, and all the accompanying grumbling, likely had very little to no impact on whether or not fetches are reprinted in the next couple of sets.

This is a very difficult concept for 90% of the MTG Community to comprehend.

The concept that's difficult to understand for people is that you can't just "decide" to put fetch lands in some random set like it has no impact on anything other than Modern prices.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The Lord of Hats posted:

From a mechanical standpoint, it's great. From a practical standpoint of having a bunch of cards that enforce a prolonged physical action, it's miserable and annoying.

Yeah the amount of extra shuffling that fetches add to a format is really obnoxious.

Incidentally if fetches had been banned Goyf wouldn't completely shut down a huge portion of cards that it makes unplayable and Deathrite Shaman never would have been banned.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Zorak posted:

It was realistic, and was the opinion I held, until RTR block was printed. Now Wizards has the option of reprinting fetches, but if they aren't reprinted by next summer banning them is a realistic possibility again.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Just got home from my FLGS's Conspiracy Drink and Draft. For some reason, I won.

HOW THE HELL DID I WIN???

(By being the threat that appeared after the main threat was eliminated. :dance:)

:hic:

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

If you're so sure about it feel free to join my :toxx: that they won't be in Huey block. Losing side bans themselves. I've had one taker so far.

That was me prior to a name change. The fetches popularity was completely predicable. The price jump might not have been totally predictable, but it was known "this will be gateway cards to the format."

They're the foundation of many modern decks greedy manabases. Same with thoughtseize and mutavault. WOTC may not be the quickest but they're not this slow. If forsythe's statement that WOTC couldn't predict their popularity is anything but smoke screen; they're incredibly dumb.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Pinwiz11 posted:

Just got home from my FLGS's Conspiracy Drink and Draft. For some reason, I won.

HOW THE HELL DID I WIN???

(By being the threat that appeared after the main threat was eliminated. :dance:)

:hic:

Yeah always hold your threat until someone makes the mistake of putting theirs down.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Alex Bertoncini wearing a LiveStrong shirt in his Top8 photo for the SCG invitational.

Pro troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moravec
Apr 24, 2007

The fourth law of robots is screw you, I'm outta here.
Whoever said mono-red Gobbos is a good way to go in VMA draft isn't kidding. First-picked a Lightning Dragon and decided to go red tonight, and slowly went into mono-red as decent picks like Kindles kept coming late. Ended up 3-0ing the draft, even beating a perfect U/G Madness deck in the finals. Most games that I won went like this--build up forces over a few turns, with 1-2 Goblin Generals and 1-2 token generators, then Falter to swing in and finish off with a Fireblast to the face.

• Locked thread