Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's okay everyone, two Vancouver politicians know how to lower prices. Transgendered rights. :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

less than three posted:

It's okay everyone, two Vancouver politicians know how to lower prices. Transgendered rights. :psyboom:

My face contorted into increasing levels of absolute incredulous astonishment with every paragraph of that article. Hooooly poo poo that's one of the most vancouver.txt things I've read. God imagine if they were transgender ghosts.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The cynical, paranoid part of me thinks that perhaps this is all bullshit to foment anti-Chinese sentiment, because there's no way the Chinese could actually be that hosed up and bigoted as a matter of course... right?

If you're so worried about a transgender person using the bathroom for their gender that you fly overseas to avoid it, then frankly you can gently caress right off and never darken our doorstep again. Too bad the useless hicks around here who hold the same lovely opinions don't gently caress off to China as well.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

PT6A posted:

The cynical, paranoid part of me thinks that perhaps this is all bullshit to foment anti-Chinese sentiment, because there's no way the Chinese could actually be that hosed up and bigoted as a matter of course... right?

If you're so worried about a transgender person using the bathroom for their gender that you fly overseas to avoid it, then frankly you can gently caress right off and never darken our doorstep again. Too bad the useless hicks around here who hold the same lovely opinions don't gently caress off to China as well.

Some of them, sure. China is a pretty drat racist place so the fear of the transgendered is something that, sadly, I would expect.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
The mainland Chinese make news here once in a while with stories like this, it's nothing new really. I'm optimistic though because based on what I see on Facebook, most of the second-generation Chinese people in Vancouver are just as horrified as everyone else when this stuff happens.

It's the same segment of population that flipped out at the St. John's Hospice, who argued with a straight face that the 15 bed facility would draw Ghosts and ruin the value of their million dollar condos.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/fear-of-ghosts-spawns-protest-against-ubc-hospice-1.595907

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc8GcHYDPvE&hd=1

less than three fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 14, 2014

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

PT6A posted:

You must be one of those calgarian wasps that only ever interacts with non whites at the pho restaurant.

Also, see Toronto. Specifically the people that vote for rob ford.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cultural Imperial posted:

You must be one of those calgarian wasps that only ever interacts with non whites at the pho restaurant.

Yeah, you're right. Speaking out against bigotry is the real bigotry.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

less than three posted:

The mainland Chinese make news here once in a while with stories like this, it's nothing new really. I'm optimistic though because based on what I see on Facebook, most of the second-generation Chinese people in Vancouver are just as horrified as everyone else when this stuff happens.

It's the same segment of population that flipped out at the St. John's Hospice, who argued with a straight face that the 15 bed facility would draw Ghosts and ruin the value of their million dollar condos.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/fear-of-ghosts-spawns-protest-against-ubc-hospice-1.595907

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc8GcHYDPvE&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVV_b7SpUOI

enbot
Jun 7, 2013

PT6A posted:

I think this one was productive. I asked if realtors were really behind speculation, because based on my experience I didn't see it, and people provided good examples.

I think most would just be surprised that after 128 pages of this thread you actually needed evidence that an organization that makes money by selling houses and increasing their value wouldn't be trying to promote... you know... the sale of houses and speculators dumping cash into the industry (leading to price increases).

quote:

I think another interesting topic would be to discuss whether it's a reaction to people's existing inclination to invest in real estate, in other words just telling people what they want to hear, or if they are actually creating the desire to invest in real estate. Realistically, if we want to solve these problems, we need to understand whence they come.

Not really- what's so interesting about it? Maybe column A for some, B for others, and a mix for the rest? Ignoring that, what exactly is a "base inclination" what is "creation of desire"? How do you separate them? Most importantly, how is your prescription going to change if it is one or the other? The answer is it basically doesn't, so who cares. You don't need to know whether the chicken or the egg came first to make an omelette.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Truly, the heart aches at the incredible unjustness that those wealthy Chinese face everyday in this nation. When will the powerful middle- and working-class citizens take pity upon them and lift the yoke choking those millionaires back from their true place and success in Canadian society?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Brannock posted:

Truly, the heart aches at the incredible unjustness that those wealthy Chinese face everyday in this nation. When will the powerful middle- and working-class citizens take pity upon them and lift the yoke choking those millionaires back from their true place and success in Canadian society?

How does lumping these people in with all Chinese people help, exactly?

Yes, it is deplorable. No, they shouldn't (and don't) get away with warping our cities to fit their fantasy.

The posts above were along the lines of "wow I can't believe how lovely Chinese people are".
It really has nothing to do with their ethnicity, and more to do with background.

China is a very homogeneous place. Homogeneous environments, where the citizens have very little interaction with any "others" tend to breed this sort of stuff.

Fact is, immigrants come here, and face a massive culture clash. Many don't do well with that. But the vast, vast majority are forced to deal with people from all sorts of countries, and with time begin to understand that their prejudices are false. Even if they use their wealth to become insular poo poo bag shut ins, their kids learn and adapt in their stead.

Anyhow, phone posting and I kind of lost where I was going to begin with. There is a difference between lovely people and THE CHINESE.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Math You posted:

China is a very homogeneous place. Homogeneous environments, where the citizens have very little interaction with any "others" tend to breed this sort of stuff.

This isn't true by the way unless you think "Europe = all white people therefore they're all homogenous".

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

computer parts posted:

This isn't true by the way unless you think "Europe = all white people therefore they're all homogenous".

Bitch please. Dispense with the weaboo affinity for inscrutable Chinese. The entire loving diaspora holds homogeneous biases and irrational beliefs.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
One day, this inability to address head on that other cultures have incredibly disgusting traits which are mutually incompatible with our own, is likely to be the downfall of our society. Destroyed by our own guilt, if you will. :allears:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rime posted:

One day, this inability to address head on that other cultures have incredibly disgusting traits which are mutually incompatible with our own, is likely to be the downfall of our society. Destroyed by our own guilt, if you will. :allears:

But when you suggest they need fixing, you get big, red titles like mine.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

PT6A posted:

But when you suggest they need fixing, you get big, red titles like mine.

You're right we should talk about you again

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Rime posted:

My favourite example of this is ostensible progressives who either don't denounce, or heap criticism upon the denouncers of, the practitioners of FGM and the like.

It's like, their culture, maaaan

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Math You posted:

Fact is, immigrants come here, and face a massive culture clash. Many don't do well with that. But the vast, vast majority are forced to deal with people from all sorts of countries, and with time begin to understand that their prejudices are false. Even if they use their wealth to become insular poo poo bag shut ins, their kids learn and adapt in their stead.

Their kids don't have to adapt or integrate at all because of their parents' wealth and the critical mass of other immigrants of similar means from the same cultural background.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

computer parts posted:

Try being not white in (a lot of) Europe lol. Thanks for proving my point.

Or even "not white enough" for that matter. Anti semitic parties are the new hot thing, and the Romani have to come here as refugees.

Math You fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 15, 2014

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Math You posted:

Or even "not white enough" for that matter. Anti semitic parties are the new hot thing, and the Romani have to come here as refugees.

I think that's the guy's point.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Math You posted:

It's like you don't even realize that China is an ethnically diverse region and the dominant Han faction has been brutally cleansing other cultures within China for nearly a century. Maybe you have never heard of Kashgar and the Uyghur's, or Tibet. Perhaps you are just unaware that the Han are racial supremacist little fucks that would make Hitler blush.

Why people like you insist that only white people can be racist and everyone else on earth is a precious little angel to be cherished truly boggles my mind. Humans are lovely, stop excusing their shittiness.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Math You posted:

How does lumping these people in with all Chinese people help, exactly?

Yes, it is deplorable. No, they shouldn't (and don't) get away with warping our cities to fit their fantasy.

The posts above were along the lines of "wow I can't believe how lovely Chinese people are".
It really has nothing to do with their ethnicity, and more to do with background.

Anyhow, phone posting and I kind of lost where I was going to begin with. There is a difference between lovely people and THE CHINESE.

Hey do you remember all the hongers who flocked to Canada to escape the impending massacre after the handover from the british?

You know where they are now, since obtaining Canadian citizenship? Not in Canada.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Bitch please. Dispense with the weaboo affinity for inscrutable Chinese. The entire loving diaspora holds homogeneous biases and irrational beliefs.

Rime posted:

You are both walking a very fine line between legitimately criticising aspects of traditional Chinese culture and outright racism. And I'm not 100% certain you haven't crossed that line.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

That sounds like something a Hakka would say. Go back to Guangdong :smug:

edit: Dicked up some spelling. My shame will last forever. This was a haiku.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 15, 2014

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lead out in cuffs posted:

You are both walking a very fine line between legitimately criticising aspects of traditional Chinese culture and outright racism. And I'm not 100% certain you haven't crossed that line.

Relax bro. I'm ethnic han and I'm telling you 'traditional Chinese' culture is awful.

What's wrong with you people? Not since uglycat have I come across so many loving horny white boys whiteknighting was is unequivocally a terrible culture.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Would you say the same thing about "traditional American culture"?

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Hasn't Cultural Imperial referred to Chinese as 'coolies' in this thread?

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

quote:

I'm legitimately 60% shocked by your bold, utterly savaging critique of these posts. Please continue with this bleeding edge commentary, it sure is helpful!

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Relax bro. I'm ethnic han and I'm telling you 'traditional Chinese' culture is awful.
Uncle Wong's Cabin.

edit: new thread title?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Brannock posted:

Would you say the same thing about "traditional American culture"?

I'd say that about any culture, especially when it's a minority being criticised by a majority. Many traditional cultures have aspects that can be critiqued and are incompatible with an ethical society founded on equal treatment of all, but when it's a whole bunch of people from outside that culture doing that, it can start to look like racism.

In this specific context, painting all Chinese people as transphobic, even if it may be true for the majority, is a sweeping generalisation and a lovely thing to do.

Put it this way, can you imagine the conversations that have gone on in this thread happening among a bunch of white Canadians with one Chinese person in the room? Hell, substitute the conversation and that one, lonely, beleaguered person for American, Russian, or your choice of culture from the Middle East, Africa, or South Asia.

blah_blah posted:

Hasn't Cultural Imperial referred to Chinese as 'coolies' in this thread?

Here we go:

The number of immigrants we allow into Canada is a zero sum game so arguably, we're letting some shitheel money laundering nouveaux riche coolie ahead of people who might be more qualified, better educated and more interested in building a life in Canada, who will also pay more income tax over a long period of time since he/she isn't just using Canada as a parachute for when the politburo starts chopping heads.

But see it's totally OK because he's Chinese himself.

Amgard posted:

I'm legitimately 60% shocked by your bold, utterly savaging critique of these posts.
This is kinda funny.

Amgard posted:

Please continue with this bleeding edge commentary, it sure is helpful!
This is stupid.

E:

TL;DR: There is no place in Canada, as a society founded on the principle of equality for all, for transphobes. On the other hand, railing on about how all Chinese people are terrible because a lot of them are transphobic is terrible and racist.

E2: \/\/ Yeah I'd be pretty happy if we could just go back to discussing the actual Canadian housing bubble. \/\/

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 15, 2014

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Oh my god, dude, shut up.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kafka Esq. posted:

Uncle Wong's Cabin.

edit: new thread title?

Uncle Wong's Condo

:colbert:

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

What's wrong with you people? Not since uglycat have I come across so many loving horny white boys whiteknighting was is unequivocally a terrible culture.

K you're right. Nuke China, after deporting the rich Chinese bastards who are making housing unaffordable.

We fixed everything. God bless.

Seriously though, I'm certainly not defending Chinese culture. I'm defending the immigrants who come here for nothing but good reasons. Understanding why some people are a bit hosed up is not the same thing as white washing their entirely hosed up past /future.
Maybe I am just too far away from Vancouver and the rich China man plague to relate.

If not buying into outright racism against any group of people is thread making GBS threads, sign me up all day.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Math You posted:

If not buying into outright racism against any group of people is thread making GBS threads, sign me up all day.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate Disco > :siren: Canada Housing Bubble :siren:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

XyloJW posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate Disco > :siren: Canada Housing Bubble :siren:

What if it's related to redlining?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

etalian posted:

Uncle Wong's Condo

:colbert:
The condo thing has been getting a lot of press, for good reasons, but the single most iconic meme to come out of this mess is Crack Shack or Mansion.

edit: bye CI. :(

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 15, 2014

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Man, get the gently caress outta here. I don't care where mainlanders get their biases against trannies and queers from. I don't want them (mainlanders) to be part of Canada's culture if it means they get to discriminate against my friends and I just have to sit here taking your finger wagging about how I need to be more understanding of other cultures.

Yeah so they did a lot of walking and they got purged and had to engage in a bit of cannibalism. So loving what. This doesn't mean we're gonna let them block the construction of a hospice because they're afraid of ghosts.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

ThirdPartyView posted:

What if it's related to redlining?

Send a notarized form, in triplicate, requesting permission to discuss The Nature of Racism in the Canadian Housing Bubble thread.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

What if they don't see any ghosts from the hospice, wouldn't seeing their beliefs not line up with reality be even worse than getting terrorized each night by a bunch of white people ghosts?

I also hope the Canadian ghosts do lots of terrifying things such as changing the TV channel to hockey games or push bottles of real maple syrup out of the cabinet each night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I actually find it genuinely loving racist that middle class (and lower) Canadians think that they're so superior to the Chinese that they should Step Aside and Allow the Lesser Chinese to Achieve Glory in Canadian culture. They are outrageously more wealthy than any of you could ever hope to be -- they are not oppressed. They are the furthest thing from oppressed. Just because they have a different skin color and are from a different country does not mean that they're oppressed. They have far more mobility, far more social and economic power in Canada than any of us could hope to have. It is seriously, breathtakingly racist and paternalistic to assume that simply because They're Chinese that they're worse off than someone barely pulling in $35k a year.

We have a distinct economic group arguing against indisputably positive things for Canadian culture because it might have a negative impact on their Investments in Canadian cities and property. That group has very little investment and stake in Canadian culture and prosperity - they are opportunistically mobile. If not for Canada being geographically proximate and economically suitable they would have zero interest in this country. It is the furthest thing from racist to be concerned about this situation.

Whether they be wealthy Chinese, Americans, or Canadians the problem with condo overvaluation and the fixation on ~Property Values~ is becoming a huge problem for Canadians and the economy and absolutely deserves full and thorough scrutiny. I think it is doubly a problem when it's being fed into by foreigners who have comparatively little stake in the future of the Canadian economy. They can go somewhere else, after all - they have the money and connections to do so. What can Canadians do in the face of oncoming economic recession/depression?