Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Pivit posted:

You can enable third party addons by configuring chrome via group policy.

Step 1. Follow the steps on this page to download the chrome.adm (or adml/admx) file and add it to your local policy editor.

Step 2. Configure the extensions/extension installation whitelist policy

Step 3. Copy the extension's ID (example: mjlaoepepibiemhcfjfekbihdpbeplme) from chrome's extension page, and add it in the policy editor. You don't need to add every single extension to the whitelist, just ones that were disabled by chrome's recent change.

Step 4. Restart chrome, go into the extensions page and you can now re-enable the third party extensions that you added to the whitelist.

I just did this in win7, works great. You'll want the .adm file from the windows/adm/en-US folder in that zip file, put it in %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions\en-US\, start the policy editor by typing "gpedit.msc" in the start menu's run box, right click computer config/admin templates to add a template, then you can edit the whitelist.

Worked like a charm, thank you so much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
I did a full re-install of windows 8.1 (formatted) and now magnet links that would previously open utorrent don't do anything anymore.

I did some googling and found a reg key to edit but I didn't have the string at all. I created it but no luck - magnet links still not working.

They work fine in Firefox, oddly enough.

edit - Fixed it by re-installing utorrent using the default file path (was changing it to my storage drive previously). Worked fine after doing so - weird.

supersteve fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 14, 2014

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
What's a good RSS feed extension? I used to use RSS Live Links, but apparently that's been removed from the store. I looked at the google one, but whenever I try to add a feed, it just takes me to some random site. I also looked at this one, but it won't even present entries in order.

Any suggestions?

Fake edit: I'd search the thread, but search seems to be broken right now.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

unpronounceable posted:

What's a good RSS feed extension? I used to use RSS Live Links, but apparently that's been removed from the store. I looked at the google one, but whenever I try to add a feed, it just takes me to some random site. I also looked at this one, but it won't even present entries in order.

Any suggestions?

Fake edit: I'd search the thread, but search seems to be broken right now.

I think rss extensions have been taken over by sites like Feedly. No one really makes them any more.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
I've been getting a weird image search bug in Chrome lately. When I'm signed into my Google account I can't middle click on image search results to open them in a new tab. It just shows the grey background. This doesn't happen if I'm not signed in. I'm a teacher and use image search several times a day, every day for PowerPoint presentations so this is a pretty major bug. I could only find one thread about in the Chrome support forum and nobody there seemed to know what was up.

Anybody else experiencing this?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Chrome is doing this weird thing where I can't move tabs around. They can be dragged into a new window but they'll just bounce back if you move it to another space within the same window. What gives?

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
Chrome is now doing this fun thing where I can't revert my New Tab page back to normal. I don't mean the old version with apps, which seems to be the only result I can find when searching, though. I mean, I hit a button near the google logo that loads in whatever silly logo crap that would be on the actual google.com site, and now I cannot find any way to turn that off. It's annoying because it's overriding any themes I install, and resetting the browser settings didn't fix it either.

Also using the omnibar to search just brings me to blank, contentless google search page now which is also vexing.

Any ideas? I've checked out /flags and as I've said, my own searching is bringing up nothing useful.

EDIT: Okay everything suddenly worked itself out. This browser never ceases to befuddle me.

meteor9 fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 16, 2014

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Pivit posted:

Are you on a domain? I thought they disabled that a few months back if you weren't on a domain. This is pretty weird the way they're handling this.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

dpbjinc posted:

Are you on a domain? I thought they disabled that a few months back if you weren't on a domain. This is pretty weird the way they're handling this.

Not on a domain, just a normal home desktop running Win7 Pro.

Turns out the extension I was trying to fix has been added to the chrome store since the last time I installed it. Didn't even need to do that stuff, but I'm glad it worked. I've seen another fix that involves making some changes then re-installing your extensions but this one seems easier.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For the past couple days, I've been trying to find a way to get a bookmarks button that works like the way I remember Firefox doing it (although I haven't used that in a couple years): you click it, and it shows a menu of all your bookmarks. I asked in the Small/Stupid Questions thread and got a suggestion to throw all my bookmarks into one folder, then show the bookmarks bar. This didn't really achieve what I wanted, since it would make me have the bookmarks toolbar present all the time just to show that folder and the Apps button.

I found a couple that look like they'd do what I want, but they need permissions that seem suspicious, like "access your data on all websites" and "access your tabs and browsing activity". It's a loving bookmarks extension, you don't need that poo poo!

So any other suggestions, please?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I just ran into a weird font issue. They just look... strange, I can't put my finger on it. Its really evident on the SA forums list, the underlines seem to far up. Anyone have this issue? It feels like the default font changed or something.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

Pivit posted:

Step 1. Follow the steps on this page to download the chrome.adm (or adml/admx) file and add it to your local policy editor.

Step 3. Copy the extension's ID (example: mjlaoepepibiemhcfjfekbihdpbeplme) from chrome's extension page, and add it in the policy editor. You don't need to add every single extension to the whitelist, just ones that were disabled by chrome's recent change.

Step 4. Restart chrome, go into the extensions page and you can now re-enable the third party extensions that you added to the whitelist.

I just did this in win7, works great. You'll want the .adm file from the windows/adm/en-US folder in that zip file, put it in %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions\en-US\, start the policy editor by typing "gpedit.msc" in the start menu's run box, right click computer config/admin templates to add a template, then you can edit the whitelist.
Thank you. You just saved my rear end something fierce. Seriously.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I just ran into a weird font issue. They just look... strange, I can't put my finger on it. Its really evident on the SA forums list, the underlines seem to far up. Anyone have this issue? It feels like the default font changed or something.

At least in the dev channel, DirectWrite is now enabled by default in Windows. You may have to dig into chrome://flags to disable it, and there's no guarantee you'll still be able to in the future.

Your screenshot's in .jpg format (PNG would have been better) so I can't tell what the default LCD text antialiasing setting is (grayscale or subpixel). Same caveats as DirectWrite.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jun 18, 2014

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

At least in the dev channel, DirectWrite is now enabled by default in Windows. You may have to dig into chrome://flags to disable it, and there's no guarantee you'll still be able to in the future.

Your screenshot's in .jpg format (PNG would have been better) so I can't tell what the default LCD text antialiasing setting is (grayscale or subpixel). Same caveats as DirectWrite.

Yep, I'm on dev channel. Disabling DirectWrite fixed it, thanks.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

DemonMage posted:

Tampermonkey + YouTube Center for YouTube (though UserScripts is down at the moment of this post). You could probably find other userscripts for other sites as well.

[Edit] Since it's possible UserScripts is just straight up gone here is the github for Youtube Center.

Thank you so much for this. I just wish Youtube Center would allow you to block videos from people you don't like option. Anyone know of a good extension for that? For example, block pewdepie (or whatever his name is) from any of his videos even showing up on the page?

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Pivit posted:

If it's a machine you control to that degree its also worth considering switching to the Dev/Canary channels which don't have the restriction in the first place instead of shoehorning Chrome stable/beta & dealing with the maintenance overhead (assuming you're cool with the small potential instability cost you get in exchange).

Mujaji
Oct 2, 2004
"The Transformers soundtrack is quite probably the greatest single album in the entire history of recorded music"
Is there a good way to troubleshoot 'Page Unresponsive Errors'? I'm getting a bunch lately, I have no idea where to start looking I've only just moved over from Firefox recently. Are there logs or someway to see if a plugin is causing the issue?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Glad it wasn't just me.

Ever since the version before the current, dev has been completely hosed for me. I've more or less given up on it since nobody on either of the bugs filed on it is in any hurry to do anything other than kick it into someone else's queue. Does anyone know what kind of a hack job I'm gonna have to do in order to force my dev version profile into a stable version install? I know it doesn't wanna let you move a profile to an older version, but, while dev has been more or less fine until now, in the state mine is in it's completely unusable, and I'm getting off that train.

Javid fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 22, 2014

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Anybody else having their Chrome tabs crash when trying to highlight+copy links from imgur on the 64bit Win version of chrome? I've disabled all of my extensions and it keeps happening.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

E: I've seen this on windows but not Mac or Linux.

E the 2nd do Mac or Linux even have proper 64bit versions atm?

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 22, 2014

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Konjuro posted:

Anybody else having their Chrome tabs crash when trying to highlight+copy links from imgur on the 64bit Win version of chrome? I've disabled all of my extensions and it keeps happening.

Yes, it's a known issue: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=380240

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Chrome has just been really buggy for me lately. Tabs turning white if they're inactive and then will more likely crash than recover, weird font issue in the UCP on SA (which I'm willing to live with, but that first issue is awful), etc. Is there something easier than a full uninstall/reinstall that would be helpful to fixing this stuff?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've noticed a strange problem lately with some videos on Chrome. They appear to be playing sound, but I can't hear anything through my speakers. That is, if I open the mixer, the meters for the speakers and for Chrome are moving, and going at least halfway up at the peaks, but I can't hear any sound. The same videos (e.g. Instagram) work fine on Internet Explorer.

Windows 8.1 Pro, Chrome 35.0.1916.153 m

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Can anyone recommend a bookmark sync extension that works reliably? I've been using Chrome sync for awhile but I keep getting stale syncs where a bookmark will disappear even after I manually add it back.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

For some reason, Chrome doesn't display alt or title attribute text when I hover over images, like smilies here. Works fine in Firefox and IE, anyone know what might be going on?

(edit) I've tried a couple of extensions to try to get that behavior back, but no dice. :(

(edit again) On standard channel, I've tried disabling all extensions, no dice.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 30, 2014

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Ashex posted:

Can anyone recommend a bookmark sync extension that works reliably? I've been using Chrome sync for awhile but I keep getting stale syncs where a bookmark will disappear even after I manually add it back.
I've used xmarks forever.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ciaphas posted:

For some reason, Chrome doesn't display alt or title attribute text when I hover over images, like smilies here. Works fine in Firefox and IE, anyone know what might be going on?

(edit) I've tried a couple of extensions to try to get that behavior back, but no dice. :(

(edit again) On standard channel, I've tried disabling all extensions, no dice.

I'm seeing alt text just fine on 35.0.1916.153 (stable), maybe try re-installing and deleting your profile?

Ashex posted:

Deleting sync data on the Google Dashboard and starting fresh from a backup has helped with this in the past.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 1, 2014

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Fame Douglas posted:

I'm seeing alt text just fine on 35.0.1916.153 (stable), maybe try re-installing and deleting your profile?

No dice, sadly. So you can hover over smilies and see what their code is, for example?

Man what did I do. Definitely works fine in IE and firefox... :(

(edit) Tooltips don't work in Canary, either, and that is a completely fresh install, no extensions or anything.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 1, 2014

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
As I posted above, I've been having trouble lately with audio not playing on some websites (but not always all audio on a given site - the correct answer dings play on duolingo, but not the synthesized speech). After some back and forth on the support groups, including dumping my profile and creating a new Windows account, I submitted a bug report. That might be the only thing you can do at this point.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007

crestfallen posted:

I've used xmarks forever.

I second xmarks. Works great and only $12 per year if you need mobile sync as well.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ciaphas posted:

No dice, sadly. So you can hover over smilies and see what their code is, for example?

Yeah, works just fine. This is a really weird one!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Fame Douglas posted:

Yeah, works just fine. This is a really weird one!

What I just noticed is that tooltips work fine in Chrome on three other boxes in this house--a Windows 8.0 laptop I haven't bothered to update, another 8.1 desktop, and a 7 desktop. I can't find any different settings that make them not work on just this one machine.

It's kind of a bugger! :(

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Any form of autopager extension that works with the forums?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
This is more of a Chrome OS question, and it's a shot in the dark too. Is there an alternative for printing that doesn't involve Google Cloud Print?

For example, is there an off-the-shelf print server that has a web interface I can submit a PDF to for printing? Or more ideally, a Chrome extension to provide IPP support?

I can get past most of the privacy issues within Chrome OS, but the one that stands out is everything that's printed through Google Cloud Print gets lobbed somewhere. Also won't work offline.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Chrome with the HTTPS Everywhere extension installed is giving me this whenever I try to access Imgur:

Is this a "misconfiguration", or a legit threat? Never have had an issue like this with the addon before.

EDIT: Seems to have fixed itself, but man, that was weird

EDIT #2: gently caress, now it's doing it again

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 3, 2014

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012
If it helps Chrome is not loading inline imgur photos for me either here at SA.

If I quote the post, then repaste the img url in the address bar I can load the images thouge, and other browsers work with the same images.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

Apparently it has been doing that for quite a few people recently. It appears to be something on their end, and fastly is imgur's CDN so it doesn't seem like anything to worry about.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

It doesn't appear to be doing it anymore, so it looks like they fixed the issue. :)

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

hey look chrome pushed a new version to mac and killed off all the known ways to disable the loving menu bar notification bell.

edit: n/m they put the setting under the chrome menu instead of, like, preferences or chrome://flags where all the other settings live.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Is anyone else new tab page hosed? I'd say about 50% of the time the thumbnails just render as white boxes that are useless, and I have to close the tab and launch a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else having fullscreen videos showing their url in the bottom left? It's kind of distracting and it covers up some of the player controls as well.