Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Ferrinus posted:

I mean, if John, Holden, and co. feel like they need more time to write/balance the game and want to use this leak as an excuse to delay the release further, they should go for it. If they not only deliver a better final product but also deeply embarrass themselves then we're getting a twofer!

I'm loving this leak, though. Current favorite element is the charm that blasts any given oWoD player character into nothingness instantly. Also I totally, totally, totally called the name for combat momentum many posts ago.

Edit: Also, hey, encounter and daily powers? That's more than I ever hoped for! I was worried that whatever dumb opinions the devs might still hold on 4e would lead them to spitefully refuse to use any of its innovations.

So how are Rangers looking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Winson_Paine posted:

So how are Rangers looking?

Lots of people getting mad about Dawn Castes itt.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Kenlon posted:

"THE PERFECT IS THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD"

I don't understand what your anti-Paragon propaganda has to do with the subject at hand.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Ferrinus posted:

Lots of people getting mad about Dawn Castes itt.

loving archery man

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Winson_Paine posted:

Since I got asked, a clarification. I don't care what you discuss here as far as exalted goes, if someone with access to the document talks about what is in it, enforcing someone else's NDA is not my bag and whatever happens is between you and your lord. The only thing that is out is posting a direct link to the whole thing.

Also please be less stupid if you could in general in this thread. That is YOU in the collective, so if you are being dumb, be less dumb.

Okay, well I don't have an account on Onyx Path or anything, and I don't care what Stephen or any of the devs think so here's some highlights from what I was able to grab off 4chan between deleted posts and bans or whatever -

Zenith caste anima ability - allows them to touch and burn a dead body. When doing so, they can sense the strongest intimacies said body held, and choose to take them into themselves. When they find the target of these intimacies, they may touch the target. With a positive intimacy, it gives them a natural feeling of understanding and peace as to what has happened, aiding them in their grief. With a negative intimacy, it inflicts a wracking (but undamaging pain) equal to the pain they inflicted upon the dead. They also gain the ability to sense any organization or nation within a couple hundred miles that either directly offends his sensibilities, or that follows them but is going through a crisis, as well as giving (essence) bonus dice to finding the quickest path to make it to these places.

Dawn Caste - a few bonuses to combat, and also the ability to intimidate anything. Even if it can't think, it can be intimidated by the dawn caste when flaring. Even if it's immune to intimidation.

Twilight Caste - Some hardness, a channeled... disappearance/teleport, that causes you to wink out of existence and show up at sundown at a place of power (demense, temple, entrance to a god's sanctum), and the ability to touch a demon or elemental, and enforce upon it a pact to become your familiar. You can dismiss and summon these familiars at any point using a few motes, and they always qualify for any charm that targets a solar's familiar.

Eclipse caste - basically the same as before, Oaths (with cooler flavor) diplomatic immunity (cooler flavor) and charm share with an Eclipse tag for what they can take.

Night - ditto, but with their flare giving them a Perfect disguise that is unpiercable by any magic or mundane, meaning that when flaring not even the Unconquered Sun can see the identity of the Night.

Solars have a pseudo-flight athletics charm, that lets them stay in the air as long as they keep fighting, chasing, or use another charm (which I did not see) to remain still in air for as long as motes are committed. (Not certain on this one, because it simply says that it can be used in tandem with another charm to allow Archery to keep one aloft while in air)

Crafting works based on inspiration points or something - when you complete a smaller project (weapons, armor) you gain points towards bigger projects (buildings, warstriders) which give you points towards biggest projects (battleships, larger warstriders, cities) which give you points towards designing a N/A artifact. These points can also be spent to enhance crafting charms by doing things such as raise dice caps, lower intervals between rolls, etc. You gain more inspiration when something you craft - is well regarded and respected by the public, you gain more than you lose for making it, or it reinforces or follows an intimacy.

Solars have a linguistic charm in which they write a soul crushing missive of such power that when read by someone without Intimacies for whatever reason, their soul realizes the futility of life, and returns to Lethe on its own. Not sure what that's useful for, but it sounds awesome.

castes have 8 caste abilities which overlap with other castes. They choose five of these eight, and then choose five favored.

That's all the leaks I managed to see, apparently very few people got the whole doc before it was taken down. I also can't verify any of them, because I can't get my hands on the actual doc, and have to take word of mouth from people who do have it.

All of what was being talked about was positive though. I didn't see a single person post a rape charm or anything, even.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Trying to take information off the Internet is like trying to un-pee in the ocean.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
So you're playing a Twilight and the Dawn asks you to craft him a floating sky palace to deploy his troops and direct the battle from. You realise you don't have enough inspiration points, decide you'll make a warstrider first and 12 project revisions later he comes back to find you winching a second slice of bread down onto seven slices of different prime meat cuts, four artisinal cheeses, 2 chutneys and a pickle.

"...Did you build the citadel?"

"WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE I'M DOING!"

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Winson_Paine posted:

loving archery man

That's actually called Martial Archery now, as of the leaked doc.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

HidaO-Win posted:

So you're playing a Twilight and the Dawn asks you to craft him a floating sky palace to deploy his troops and direct the battle from. You realise you don't have enough inspiration points, decide you'll make a warstrider first and 12 project revisions later he comes back to find you winching a second slice of bread down onto seven slices of different prime meat cuts, four artisinal cheeses, 2 chutneys and a pickle.

"...Did you build the citadel?"

"WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE I'M DOING!"

On one hand, if that's how the system ends up working, it'll be hilarious. On the other, if that's how the system ends up working, that scene would make it work it.

I think it's more 'instead of needing flat out more powerful charms and higher essence and skills, making bigger stuff just requires you make smaller stuff first'. No need to be Essence 7 before you can theoretically make artifact 5 stuff.

Who knows though NOT ME BECAUSE THEY WONT LET US GET THE LEAK. :argh:

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

KittyEmpress posted:

On one hand, if that's how the system ends up working, it'll be hilarious. On the other, if that's how the system ends up working, that scene would make it work it.

I think it's more 'instead of needing flat out more powerful charms and higher essence and skills, making bigger stuff just requires you make smaller stuff first'. No need to be Essence 7 before you can theoretically make artifact 5 stuff.

Who knows though NOT ME BECAUSE THEY WONT LET US GET THE LEAK.

It's an interesting paradigm, I've got a guy in my gaming group who loves crafting and is almost always disappointed by the crafting systems in games. It'd be nice if this one worked out in play as something other than a cash discount for making gear,

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The Twilight anima powers are a kind of weird grab bag of wizard tricks, so I'm not super enthused by them. Presumably there are Lore and Occult and whatever powers for playing with your familiar now, since it wouldn't make much sense if Twilights needed Survival to make the most use of one of their features.

I love the Charm that lets you eradicate the soul of someone with no Intimacies. It's such a beautiful counter to "Oh yeah well my characters cares about nothing so you can't socially influence them in any way". I hope there's stuff like that in trees other than Linguistics.

There's a mid-tier Melee charm like "Once per scene, you can use a maxed-out Excellency at an incredibly low cost, but this power also refreshes when you execute someone". One of the Dawn powers is that once per day, all of your resetting combat charms just... reset. It's a very good way to do the narrow middle of a Charm tree as Morke described previously, giving characters greater and more flexible ways to deploy their existing powers without dumping entire new game-changers on them straightaway.

Lioness
Feb 6, 2014

ErichZahn posted:

Mnemon stopped the practice of killing un-Exalted children at 20. Not the Scarlet Empress, Mnemon.
Source please? I'm not doubting you, but that seems like really important information I wasn't aware of.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Darksaber posted:

That's actually called Martial Archery now, as of the leaked doc.

You mean Marital Archery

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Piell posted:

You mean Marital Archery

That's what that new arrow type is for! I was wondering.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Nice to see Pasolini is an influence on Exalted's new design vision.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Mr. Maltose posted:

Nice to see Pasolini is an influence on Exalted's new design vision.

At risk of sounding boorish, I totally don't recognize where this is coming from, in spite of having read and watched Pasolini's stuff. Which work of his are you referring to?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Lioness posted:

Source please? I'm not doubting you, but that seems like really important information I wasn't aware of.

Castebook Earth I think.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Transient People posted:

At risk of sounding boorish, I totally don't recognize where this is coming from, in spite of having read and watched Pasolini's stuff. Which work of his are you referring to?

Arabian Nights. Y'know. The arrow.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
...How did I forget that? Somebody shoot me please. :downsgun:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Sorry for making you think I had a worthwhile observation on thematics instead of making the most unnecessarily obscure dick joke.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012
Currently, Brawl and Martial Arts are two separate abilities for the purpose of their dot rating. If you favour one you favour the other. They have separate rules for attacking people, but most these rules can be swapped between abilities.

As of now "it is unclear how to factor Brawl into the main system." :thumbsup:

There's a Charm which is basically Thousandfold Courtesan Calculations for Solars. It's the only straight up sex Charm in the book. Includes the text "This intense lovemaking lasts at least three minutes." There's a Charm which compels people to try and seduce you if they're oriented the right way - they'll want to have a conversation with you if they're not.

There's a rule which says PCs can only be seduced if their player allows it. It's wishy-washy - they're all "your group can get rid of this if you want" rather than "this rule is in effect at all times no matter what." It's weird because people can just waive it any time they want to anyway. Getting rid of that protection would only make people more vulnerable to creeps.

Beyond that, things look cool. Diseases are tiered like Intimacies - Minor, Major and Defining symptoms. There's a disease which makes your skeleton come alive and perform evil deeds while it's trapped inside your body. Eventually it rips itself out of your body, killing you instantly. There's a Charm where your mount parries an attack for you. There's a Charm where you can weave any two (or more) languages you know into a single superlanguage. There's a Charm which makes you better at persuading people, with bonuses if they're more resistant to persuasion - a bit like Arete-Driven Marathon Stride. There's a Charm which lets you ask a riddle so difficult it shatters people's minds. Wyld-Shaping Technique is basically a subsystem spanning 3 pages now. There's a Charm for leaping onto someone's horse and kicking them off in one swift motion. There's a move which transforms your familiar into a huge, terrifying monster. There's a War Charm to instantly conscript a ton of wild animals. There's plenty of Charms!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Bigup DJ posted:

As of now "it is unclear how to factor Brawl into the main system." :thumbsup:

This is hilarious, all the more so because it was so predictable.

You could literally just have a single "Brawl" (or "Unarmed", if you prefer) skill that qualifies you for native Solar charms and Snake Style (but not Shining Point style) both, but presumably because even a small child could immediately come up with and suggest that we're not allowed to have it.

quote:

There's a Charm which is basically Thousandfold Courtesan Calculations for Solars. It's the only straight up sex Charm in the book. Includes the text "This intense lovemaking lasts at least three minutes." There's a Charm which compels people to try and seduce you if they're oriented the right way - they'll want to have a conversation with you if they're not.

There's a rule which says PCs can only be seduced if their player allows it. It's wishy-washy - they're all "your group can get rid of this if you want" rather than "this rule is in effect at all times no matter what." It's weird because people can just waive it any time they want to anyway. Getting rid of that protection would only make people more vulnerable to creeps.

This is similarly hilariously predictable. After all, can you imagine how tame and antiseptic the game would be without it? I know I, if I saw a "generic" Performance charm list, would immediately be picking out at least two or three powers and demanding that they only work when you gently caress someone.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Bigup DJ posted:

"This intense lovemaking lasts at least three minutes."

Only three minutes?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

This is objectively suboptimal.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Down With People posted:

Only three minutes?
I'm imagining a situation like when the Pathfinder devs changed the function of weapon cords (an item that let you drop and pick up a weapon they were attached to, faster) because one of them spent the better part of an afternoon with his mouse cord tied around his wrist, and decided "no. this is simply impossible as it stands."

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

"Canadian and American sex therapists' perceptions of normal and abnormal ejaculatory latencies: how long should intercourse last? posted:

The interquartile range for the sex therapists' opinions regarding an "adequate" length for ejaculatory latency was from 3 to 7 minutes; "desirable" from 7 to 13 minutes; "too short" from 1 to 2 minutes; "too long" from 10 to 30 minutes.

Seems fine (and historically and mythically accurate) to me.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

They know. They know having two separate "unarmed" abilities is completely pointless. It's staring them in the face. Look. Just look at them writhe in discomfort. Jesus Christ.

I mean, seriously - it would be stupid-looking if the unarmed combat ability was called Martial Arts, for the same reason that it would be stupid-looking if "Occult" was renamed "Sorcery" or "Performance" was renamed "Sexhaving". But if they're literally struggling to find a way to include two separate goodatpunching traits into the game that a character might have one or both of then they're actually sabotaging the game's mechanics out of pure spite and reaction.

Mengtzu
Jun 29, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

They know. They know having two separate "unarmed" abilities is completely pointless. It's staring them in the face. Look. Just look at them writhe in discomfort. Jesus Christ.

I mean, seriously - it would be stupid-looking if the unarmed combat ability was called Martial Arts, for the same reason that it would be stupid-looking if "Occult" was renamed "Sorcery" or "Performance" was renamed "Sexhaving". But if they're literally struggling to find a way to include two separate goodatpunching traits into the game that a character might have one or both of then they're actually sabotaging the game's mechanics out of pure spite and reaction.

You're overthinking it. That's the equivalent of:

/******
* Yes this is a bullshit hack, but it's low priority and works for now
* TODO: Refactor
******/

It couldn't go to print like that, but in the context of not having the advancement rules, most of the MA etc. it didn't matter. There's plenty more interesting stuff (good and bad) in the playtest to worry about.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Mengtzu posted:

You're overthinking it. That's the equivalent of:

/******
* Yes this is a bullshit hack, but it's low priority and works for now
* TODO: Refactor
******/

It couldn't go to print like that, but in the context of not having the advancement rules, most of the MA etc. it didn't matter. There's plenty more interesting stuff (good and bad) in the playtest to worry about.

Oh, I know it's not going to print like that. What offends me is how utterly trivial it is to solve - or rather, how there is no problem to solve.

Like, it's a bullshit hack... for what? What's it accomplishing? Why on earth is there not just one skill for punching people with, that you roll when you punch someone? Like, completely ignoring the best thing to name it.

There's only one skill to stab someone, whether you're stabbing someone regularly or stabbing someone while using your Single Point Shining Into The Void style.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
I'm gonna call it now; there will still be two separate punch-a-man abilities when the corebook is finally released.

A later supplement will introduce rules hacks to fix this. None of them will suggest consolidating the two abilities.

Calde
Jun 20, 2009

Lioness posted:

Aspect Book: Earth, page 53. She had laws instated that prevent just killing Dynastic children out of hand for failing to Exalt. In our own games it was a minor footnote since it's whispered that House Ledaal has secretly kept up the practice, with their own twist to it.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Down With People posted:

I'm gonna call it now; there will still be two separate punch-a-man abilities when the corebook is finally released.

A later supplement will introduce rules hacks to fix this. None of them will suggest consolidating the two abilities.

The thing that annoys me second most (after Brawl/Martial Arts) is Dodge remaining a separate ability and having two dozen Charms that are almost all purely combat defensive, while Resistance keeps a mix of combat defenses, equipment-summoning utility, non-combat defenses, and Battle Fury Focus and Bloodthirsty Sword-Dancer Spirit.

The thing that annoys me third most is that they're keeping the "only usable with other Charms of the same Ability unless otherwise noted" thing for Supplementals that directly gets in the way of the "Charms can do things beyond just the exact literal expression of their Ability" thing that the Charms have here and there (such as Battle Fury Focus).

The thing that annoys me fourth most is that there's still Sail as a separate ability and it has almost 40 Charms (a bunch of which just give small ship Speed increases) for whatever tiny minority of characters will ever buy a boat. At least there's nothing in Ride that assumes a specific type or mundanity of mount (except for Phantom Steed specifically generating a war horse and having no option for, say, a giant riding fish or something for Western characters).

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Roadie posted:

The thing that annoys me fourth most is that there's still Sail as a separate ability and it has almost 40 Charms (a bunch of which just give small ship Speed increases) for whatever tiny minority of characters will ever buy a boat. At least there's nothing in Ride that assumes a specific type or mundanity of mount (except for Phantom Steed specifically generating a war horse and having no option for, say, a giant riding fish or something for Western characters).

Why would only a tiny minority of characters want a boat now that there are awesome Naval combat rules and crafters are encouraged to build them if you want a mobile base?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Sail should be replaced with "Drive", and govern using any sort of vehicle, while Ride should remain Ride, and deal with any sort of natural transportation, such as riding horses, whales, or rocs.

Or not.

Edit: seriously though, my only experience with a 'boat' in an exalted game was a massive first age airship we found stranded in wyld-shaped Deep Wyld, and then flew back to Creation to bomb the Realm with. My maxing sail was totally justified.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 15, 2014

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I feel bad for telling Ferrinus to shut the gently caress up about Martial Arts a while ago. Sorry.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

It's okay. We're all in this together.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

KittyEmpress posted:

Sail should be replaced with "Drive", and govern using any sort of vehicle, while Ride should remain Ride, and deal with any sort of natural transportation, such as riding horses, whales, or rocs.

Or not.

I could go with this if it were named Pilot (drive sounds too modern and you don't drive boats), though you run into an charms applying to vehicles that are above personal scale versus personal or personal-ish vehicles like windblades. They could be mostly separate charm trees under one ability though, or they could cut most of the First Age Personal Transport crap and tell you to get a Horse.

Ferrinus posted:

It's okay. We're all in this together.

Basically everyone always agreed with you on the Brawl or Martial Arts thing, whether or not they got sick of hearing about it.

MiltonSlavemasta fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 15, 2014

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Doesn't it already implicitly work like that? Like, if you got some kind of magitech hoverbike you'd use Ride, and if you got a tank you'd use Sail.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

I could go with this if it were named Pilot (drive sounds too modern and you don't drive boats), though you run into an charms applying to vehicles that are above personal scale versus personal or personal-ish vehicles like windblades. They could be mostly separate charm trees under one ability though, or they could cut most of the First Age Personal Transport crap and tell you to get a Horse.

Pilot is a better name by far.

The main thing that makes me like Ride more than Sail/Pilot/Whatever is that I can theoretically use survival charms on my Familiar-Mount and make an amazing warbeast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

KittyEmpress posted:

Edit: seriously though, my only experience with a 'boat' in an exalted game was a massive first age airship we found stranded in wyld-shaped Deep Wyld, and then flew back to Creation to bomb the Realm with. My maxing sail was totally justified.

Sail has always only ever had two real uses in Exalted:

1). your game is set in the West, otherwise who cares, or

2). you find an airship.

• Locked thread