Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

BrianWilly posted:

That's a little naive. There's plenty of evidence to suggest that even a whole mess of people working en masse to solve the issue wouldn't actually solve the issue. Like they've said (repeatedly, ad nasaeum, to the point of irritation), if it were that easy to solve, many of their counterparts on other Earths would've done so by now.

Which isn't even considering that this Marvel Earth doesn't exactly have a stellar recent track record of heroes working together competently. Cap likes to talk a big game about his whole Avengers World, but let's see him work together with Cyclops for more than ten minutes without coming to blows.

What's been drilled into us again and again is that the Illumanati consistently fail to save the world. We've seen that there are different line-ups and different ends, but the secret group meeting for the same reasons and with the same mindset always and consistently fails.

Maybe it's just another case of the 616 universe being super special and their Illuminati will succeed where all the others fail, but I think that would cheapen the themes that Hickman is building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I didn't get the impression that Black Swan was only referring to Illuminati members when she was talking about the multitudes of failed attempts she's seen before, I assumed she was referring to all kinds of different groups attempting all kinds of different methods. We saw several of these attempts ourselves, didn't we? When different groups of Marvel heroes fought against the Mapmakers or whatever? Not all the destroyed universes even had Illuminatis of their own in the first place, and it'd be a little weird if there's so many potential universes out there and none of them ever simply gathered all their heroes together to try to solve this issue.

Codependent Poster posted:

This happened! In A+X, he worked with Scott.
And they came to blows! :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

team overhead smash posted:

What's been drilled into us again and again is that the Illumanati consistently fail to save the world. We've seen that there are different line-ups and different ends, but the secret group meeting for the same reasons and with the same mindset always and consistently fails.

Maybe it's just another case of the 616 universe being super special and their Illuminati will succeed where all the others fail, but I think that would cheapen the themes that Hickman is building.

Yeah, the one constant is that it's always the Illuminati holed up in a basement trying to fix the problem by themselves. Of course, if you were cynical you could point out that The Great Society doesn't exactly seem to be overflowing with members either, they're just a lot more optimistic about the odds of stopping incursions non-violently. But then, we don't know a lot about their stupid fake Earth, maybe it just doesn't have a lot of heroes.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, the one constant is that it's always the Illuminati holed up in a basement trying to fix the problem by themselves. Of course, if you were cynical you could point out that The Great Society doesn't exactly seem to be overflowing with members either, they're just a lot more optimistic about the odds of stopping incursions non-violently. But then, we don't know a lot about their stupid fake Earth, maybe it just doesn't have a lot of heroes.

In the 16.now issue, it states the Great Society came together when their world's previous super-group fell to an invasion (with what appeared to be Kree and Skrull shown). The page showed that Earth's Psylocke, Wolverine, Namor etc getting attacked. It described the Society as outcasts that banded together to save the day. So there at least were other heroes once. One thing I am curious about, is the lack of a Wonder Woman analog among all the big JLA equivalents. We do now know there was a 3rd incursion the Illuminati didn't see, and the Society sure didn't want to talk about it.

Madrox fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 15, 2014

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Dammit Who? posted:

This may be a caaa-raaaazay opinion, but I'm going to say gathering your richest friends together to rule the world in secret because no one else, certainly not the people being ruled, can be trusted to do it is actually evil.

I'm... not entirely certain where any incarnation of the Illuminati, much less the current set-up, has done anything one might call "rule the world in secret." Have they done poo poo in secret that maybe other people might have wanted to have an opinion about? Absolutely! But "rule the world?" Seriously?

At what point did we start confusing the Marvel Comics Illuminati with the Bavarian Illuminati?

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I'm... not entirely certain where any incarnation of the Illuminati, much less the current set-up, has done anything one might call "rule the world in secret." Have they done poo poo in secret that maybe other people might have wanted to have an opinion about? Absolutely! But "rule the world?" Seriously?

At what point did we start confusing the Marvel Comics Illuminati with the Bavarian Illuminati?

Yeah, if we already are reading comic books where we accept that vigilantes acting autonomously is alright, then the Illuminati are just a little further down the road from that. They just aren't letting the rest of the vigilantes know about their vigilantism.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Buddington posted:

Yeah, if we already are reading comic books where we accept that vigilantes acting autonomously is alright, then the Illuminati are just a little further down the road from that. They just aren't letting the rest of the vigilantes know about their vigilantism.

Well, I mean, I don't want to whitewash what the Illuminati is doing here. There's a very real, very valid argument to be made that that poo poo ain't okay.

It's just a far cry from ruling the loving world.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I actually don't know much about their initial efforts but aside from trying to get rid of the Hulk (which kinda backfired), being guards of the Infinity Gauntlet (a good thing), and now saving Earth and the universe itself from incursions, what else have they done? Like I can kinda get why Cap would be pissed but given the incursions, even if the Avengers were aware of it what could they have done different? At the very best, you'd have Clint applying for Illuminati membership. Widow agreeing 100% with what's going on. Thor may have some issues with it (as shown), but Hyperion loving survived an incursion so he knows what's t stake.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 15, 2014

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

Well, I mean, I don't want to whitewash what the Illuminati is doing here. There's a very real, very valid argument to be made that that poo poo ain't okay.

It's just a far cry from ruling the loving world.

I was mostly agreeing with you, I'm not saying it's two thumbs up.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I actually don't know much about their initial efforts but aside from trying to get rid of the Hulk (which kinda backfired), being guards of the Infinity Gauntlet (a good thing), and now saving Earth and the universe itself from incursions, what else have they done? Like I can kinda get why Cap would be pissed but given the incursions, even if the Avengers were aware of it what could they have done different? At the very best, you'd have Clint applying for Illuminati membership. Widow agreeing 100% with what's going on. Thor may have some issues with it (as shown), but Hyperion loving survived an incursion so he knows what's t stake.

Clint Barton would HATE what the Illuminati was doing. Which I think is evidenced by Old Clint hating the poo poo out of Tony Stark.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I don't think the rest of the Avengers would sign right on - I think many of them, honestly, would start sounding a lot more like Sun God up there. They have hope.

Remember that almost every member of the current Illuminati has been driven to cynicism by recent events:
--Tony Stark had to erase his own brain and then while he was still coming to grips with what a dick he'd been, he had basically his whole life torn down by Ezekiel Stane and oh yeah he recently found out his own backstory is bullshit.
--Beast watched the man he idolized, Charles Xavier, get murdered by a Phoenix-possessed Cyclops, then he tried to make things better by loving with the timeline of the original five X-Men and only made things worse and more dangerous.
--Black Panther had to abdicate his throne to become King of the Dead, and from that position has watched Wakanda's vibranium reserves - the thing that has allowed them to remain a viable world power - go away.
--Namor was possessed by the Phoenix and sort of murdered a lot of Wakandans, and before he could really manage to come to grips with what he'd done as one of the Phoenix Five, Wakandan strike teams massacred basically every Atlantean they could find.
--Doctor Strange's recent history has (tragically, and often as a result of poor writing) been an endless cavalcade of fuckups, things he should have stopped but didn't, things he should have done but couldn't. He lost the mantle of Sorcerer Supreme for a long while and only regained it after being willing to use black magic.
--Black Bolt has never been a hero, only a King - and he's laying low after deliberately loving up the entire Inhuman social structure and causing a worldwide eruption of new superhumans, and his place has basically been taken by Maximus the loving Mad.

Hell, the only one of the group you could plausibly claim hasn't had reason to be cynical lately is Reed Richards - and Richards has always been the guy who will let his intellectual conclusions get in the way of what he knows to be right.

In essence, all of the Illuminati (with the potential exception of Banner, who only just now showed up) are trying the "hard men making hard choices" act because they've lost faith in traditional superheroics. They no longer believe, as Sun God does, that hope is enough, that doing the right thing no matter the cost is the way to go. Cap believed that, so they had to mindwipe him and kick him out of the group - not because he would have stopped them, but because he would have shown them all what they had forgotten - namely faith.

The Illuminati aren't 'evil' - they're broken. And I would bet, from what I've seen of Hickman's work thus far, that he wouldn't be doing such a damned fine job of showing us how broken they are if he didn't intend for a redemption arc down the line. The payoff is going to be that the Illuminati stop being such dicks, I'm betting, and knowing Hickman it'll be told so well that it may even stick for a bit.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I can't wait until the two series dovetail, and we see Captain Universe and Starbrand in an issue of New Avengers.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My fear is that while he may play towards redemption, not everyone is going to reach it. Namor, T'Challa, Black Bolt (who has been surprisingly absent in this incursion), and Strange are playing waaaaaay too close for comfort. 616-Reed is hanging on thanks to his family which is the one thing that makes him Special. Tony is Tony no matter where (there's a reason there's ALWAYS an Iron Man in every variant Illuminati). Beast I don't know enough to comment but he's hosed up plenty of things. Banner got played a bad hand and is doing what he can with it.

Assuming the story is leading towards a merger between Avengers/New Avengers (how could it not), I'm excited to see how the world of the world comes to terms with what the Illuminati have done for the sake of saving everything. Like how do you condemn those that have done horrible things when those horrible things are the reason you still exist?

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

The Illuminati aren't 'evil' - they're broken. And I would bet, from what I've seen of Hickman's work thus far, that he wouldn't be doing such a damned fine job of showing us how broken they are if he didn't intend for a redemption arc down the line. The payoff is going to be that the Illuminati stop being such dicks, I'm betting, and knowing Hickman it'll be told so well that it may even stick for a bit.

Not for nothing, but there are a few issues here

1. Doc Strange became Sorcerer Supreme again during the last arc of Bendis's New Avengers, not in this one; it had nothing to do with him selling his soul for the Words of Power.
2. Beast joined the Illuminati _before_ his time travel gambit, since he was pre-new-form in the first arc of NA.
3. Panther stated in Hickman's F4 arc that they'd actually quickly recovered from the loss of vibranium. He said this to Reed Richards pre-Incursions; he has no reason to lie.
4. Maximus hasn't taken control of Inhuman society; he's presumed dead as much as Black Bolt is. Medusa's running that show.
5. Saying Tony's "backstory is bullshit" is pretty disingenuous; he found out he was adopted. He's still Tony Stark, raised the same way with the same parents etc. Saying otherwise is some weird nature>nurture poo poo I can't get down with, and can't imagine Gillen or Hickman would be down with either.

Namor and T'Challa, sure, they are hosed UP, but everyone else was actually in a pretty healthy place at the beginning of New Avengers.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

d00gZ posted:

Not for nothing, but there are a few issues here

1. Doc Strange became Sorcerer Supreme again during the last arc of Bendis's New Avengers, not in this one; it had nothing to do with him selling his soul for the Words of Power.
2. Beast joined the Illuminati _before_ his time travel gambit, since he was pre-new-form in the first arc of NA.
3. Panther stated in Hickman's F4 arc that they'd actually quickly recovered from the loss of vibranium. He said this to Reed Richards pre-Incursions; he has no reason to lie.
4. Maximus hasn't taken control of Inhuman society; he's presumed dead as much as Black Bolt is. Medusa's running that show.
5. Saying Tony's "backstory is bullshit" is pretty disingenuous; he found out he was adopted. He's still Tony Stark, raised the same way with the same parents etc. Saying otherwise is some weird nature>nurture poo poo I can't get down with, and can't imagine Gillen or Hickman would be down with either.

Namor and T'Challa, sure, they are hosed UP, but everyone else was actually in a pretty healthy place at the beginning of New Avengers.

Doc became SS again in Bendis' final run, yes - after he utilized black magic while unafraid and accepting of the consequences. The Ancient One's shade/vision/avatar/whatever explicitly said that he was not ready to regain the mantle of the Sorcerer Supreme until he was ready to overcome this final hurdle within himself (or something along those lines; I don't have the issue in front of me). Maximus hasn't taken Bolt's place in Inhuman society, but he's taken it in the Illuminati. Tony's finding out he was adopted doesn't change who he is, no - but if you don't think "found out he was adopted" is the kind of thing that has severe psychological repercussions, questioning of one's self-identity, et cetera... well, suffice it to say that that's the sort of thing that most of the people I know who discovered their adoption later in life (as opposed to having parents who were open about it from day one) have had to deal with.

But yeah, you're right - a lot of the Illuminati were in a healthy place at the beginning of NA's current volume. None of them - some as a result of things happening in their own books, some as a result of things happening in NA itself - have stayed there, which is sort of my point; being in the Illuminati is slowly but surely breaking these people, it's grinding them down. This, I suspect, is a part of what Hickman means when he says that the theme of Avengers is Life and the theme of New Avengers is Death - there are metaphorical deaths, too, and the Illuminati are experiencing several of them as we watch.

...alternatively, I may be overthinking it a bit; Hickman's plotting and writing style is the kind of story I love, and I enjoy reading into the psychological ramifications perhaps a bit overmuch, it must be admitted. Still, I think it bears noting that 'being in the Illuminati is doing Bad Things to these characters' is a fairly significant plot point that's going to pay off in the end. At least, I hope so.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

The whole reason the Illuminati are keeping things hush-hush was pretty much directly outlined when they brought Cap in (and being re-lampshaded with Sun God). When you have no other option but commit planetary genocide to save the Earth, a lot of people are going to go with the 'hope' plan and it's a pretty big ask to have the entire thing rest on optimism.

The Illuminati are basically an organization that is set up to perform what they see as a necessary evil for what they see as a greater good, avoiding dragging anyone else down (hence the secrecy) or leaving anything up to chance and optimism (hence this particular collection of dour moral relativists).

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 15, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Necessary evil is still evil.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Yes, I think it's already been laid out that Cap's way is superior. There is really no way that the Avengers should have had an impact in Infinity, the logical rational approach says they shouldn't because they were a dozen or so people in a massive galactic conflict and they had struggled to beat even two servants of the builders.

Despite this they turned their enemies into allies (while the Illuminati can't trust Swan and are being betrayed by Maximus), had the key role in saving the Earth and the entire galaxy and once that danger had been resolved their approach had in turn left them stronger and in a better position to fight back effectively against Thanos as they now had a massive alien armada on their side (While the Illuminati's actions endangered earth as Thanos' servants almost detonated the planet killers).

The Illuminati got rid of Steve because they couldn't share his hope that by doing their best (in terms of effort and morality) they could win the day, but that belief is exactly what won the day in Infinity.

Fuckstick Electric
Nov 25, 2012
If only the Skrulls had won the Secret Invasion because even those evangelical douchebags would've just evacuated Earth, blew it up and moved everybody to Mars.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Fuckstick Electric posted:

If only the Skrulls had won the Secret Invasion because even those evangelical douchebags would've just evacuated Earth, blew it up and moved everybody to Mars.

And even then if only it had been established in Fantastic Four that Reed/Earth scientists had the ability to great a whole other new Earth and move people on to it.

Fuckstick Electric
Nov 25, 2012

Waterhaul posted:

And even then if only it had been established in Fantastic Four that Reed/Earth scientists had the ability to great a whole other new Earth and move people on to it.

Reed only has time for a costume change.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I'm having a bit of trouble getting the current timeline of Avengers stuff and tie-ins straight. Is it Cap and the Illuminati stop an Incursion but break the Infinity Gauntlet in the process, then they mind-wipe Cap > Uatu gets ganked, Orb uses the Watcher's eye like a flashbang and then Cap realizes that Tony had Strange clean his clock > Cap goes to confront Tony with a bunch of Avengers, then the Time Gem that Cap broke/disappeared reappears and whisks them off to the future and finally > the Illuminati is now confronting the not-JLA at an Incursion point? I look at it and it doesn't seem right. I am so confused.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

First Bass posted:

I'm having a bit of trouble getting the current timeline of Avengers stuff and tie-ins straight. Is it Cap and the Illuminati stop an Incursion but break the Infinity Gauntlet in the process, then they mind-wipe Cap > Uatu gets ganked, Orb uses the Watcher's eye like a flashbang and then Cap realizes that Tony had Strange clean his clock > Cap goes to confront Tony with a bunch of Avengers, then the Time Gem that Cap broke/disappeared reappears and whisks them off to the future and finally > the Illuminati is now confronting the not-JLA at an Incursion point? I look at it and it doesn't seem right. I am so confused.

Yeah, other stuff has happened as well but everything you put there is in the right chronological order.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Someone mentioning the Cancerverse in the Badass Panels thread made me think- has it been shown what Shuma-Gorath and company are doing during this whole event?
I know Shuma himself showed up in Mighty Avengers, but that was like the usual kinda invasion.

Like do Shuma-Gorath and company just not give a gently caress if a universe gets blown up because they own so drat many and can hop universes easily?

Being in the dark about the state of the rest of the multiverse is a core part of the New Avengers arc so I'm assuming the answer is no but I'm really wondering what the heck some of the most powerful dudes in the multiverse are doing during this event.

What I'm saying here is show me the Avengers and Shuma-Gorath teamup show!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
He's over in the Capcom universe.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Fereydun posted:

Someone mentioning the Cancerverse in the Badass Panels thread made me think- has it been shown what Shuma-Gorath and company are doing during this whole event?
I know Shuma himself showed up in Mighty Avengers, but that was like the usual kinda invasion.

Like do Shuma-Gorath and company just not give a gently caress if a universe gets blown up because they own so drat many and can hop universes easily?

Being in the dark about the state of the rest of the multiverse is a core part of the New Avengers arc so I'm assuming the answer is no but I'm really wondering what the heck some of the most powerful dudes in the multiverse are doing during this event.

What I'm saying here is show me the Avengers and Shuma-Gorath teamup show!

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Map Makers get introduced as the next thing they have to deal with at some point in the near future. Doom has a piece of the world they annihilated and I could see Hickman doing a "Doom reforms The Cabal" with the intent of figuring out what has gone wrong, they build a bridge using the piece of the destroyed Earth which accidentally unleashes the Map Makers on Earth.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think you mean Doom defeats and eliminates the Map Makers :colbert:

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I think you mean Doom defeats and eliminates the Map Makers :colbert:

I was trying not to spoil the ending for people, but Doom has the situation well in hand until Richards shows up and steals all the glory like he always does.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

First Bass posted:

But also correct! High-fives all around.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The Illuminati proper fails. During the FF Dark Reign mini, Reed used the bridge to see successful Illuminatis and they are all successful only because he either blackmails or kills the other members.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Mr Impossible on the Venture Bros is really closer to Reed than it looks.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Yes, I think it's already been laid out that Cap's way is superior. There is really no way that the Avengers should have had an impact in Infinity, the logical rational approach says they shouldn't because they were a dozen or so people in a massive galactic conflict and they had struggled to beat even two servants of the builders.

Despite this they turned their enemies into allies (while the Illuminati can't trust Swan and are being betrayed by Maximus), had the key role in saving the Earth and the entire galaxy and once that danger had been resolved their approach had in turn left them stronger and in a better position to fight back effectively against Thanos as they now had a massive alien armada on their side (While the Illuminati's actions endangered earth as Thanos' servants almost detonated the planet killers).

The Illuminati got rid of Steve because they couldn't share his hope that by doing their best (in terms of effort and morality) they could win the day, but that belief is exactly what won the day in Infinity.

I so agree with this post. The only thing I would like to add to this is that the Builders entire plot, was essentially the same goal/methods as the Illuminati.

They knew that the Universes were breaking, and decided that they had to be HARD MEN ALIENS MAKING HARD DECISIONS and flew through the Universe to blow up the Earth.
Only rather than blow up other Earths to save the 616 Earth, the Builders wanted to blow up 616 Earth to save the 616 Universe.

Incidentally, one discussion I haven't seen. The interplay between Avengers 30 and New Avengers 19.
My understanding of the events are

• Our Hawkeye meets up with Hawkeye from 48 years in the future. He tells the Avenger's a bunch of information that they wouldn't otherwise know.

• He tells the Avengers that the Time Gem is going to send them skipping into the future in increasingly wider jumps, and that they are going to meet foes and friends who want to smash them up. (Which they didn't know before hand.)

• He tells Captain America SOMETHING, we don't know.

• Starbrand knows he will die and pass the Brand on to someone else. (which he didn't know to do before.)

• Hyperion knows he is supposed to go out into the ruins of the destroyed universe (the White Space) to search for SOMETHING, and now he can start doing this years earlier than he used to.

• Ironman has escaped the time bubble to take part in the battle with the Great Society. Previously the Avengers jumping through time had Tony with them to help/hinder. And the Illumanti didn't have Tony in their fight with the Great Society.
    But now this has changed, so who knows what role this will play.

Anything else I missed?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

So here's the thing I'm wondering: Maximus seems to be cool with the Illuminati but really isn't doing any work for them. Every time he speaks during a group conversation they seem to dismiss him or ignore him. He seems to be more apart of Black Bolt's plan to both be "dead" as part of the fallout of Inhumanity. So why would the Illuminati not like, lock him up or put him in a coma or something, when they all leave? Don't they know leaving him with Thanos, Swan, and a former Galactus herald probably isn't a good idea?

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

notthegoatseguy posted:

So here's the thing I'm wondering: Maximus seems to be cool with the Illuminati but really isn't doing any work for them. Every time he speaks during a group conversation they seem to dismiss him or ignore him. He seems to be more apart of Black Bolt's plan to both be "dead" as part of the fallout of Inhumanity. So why would the Illuminati not like, lock him up or put him in a coma or something, when they all leave? Don't they know leaving him with Thanos, Swan, and a former Galactus herald probably isn't a good idea?

I think he proved himself as reliable in Infinity and in the run up to it, as well as having Black Bolt vouching for him (Which is just something Black Bolt seems to do because... whatever).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I think he proved himself as reliable in Infinity and in the run up to it, as well as having Black Bolt vouching for him (Which is just something Black Bolt seems to do because... whatever).

I seem to remember Maximus being important and helpful to Black Bolt in War of Kings, but I can't actually think of why that is.

Most of that event has disappeared from my brain.

Oh yeah, he also stopped the destruction of the world, via one of the horrible things the Illuminati built.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 17, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
From NA#2

Could this be the upcoming battle? That sure looks like Superman and Wonder Woman in the background.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That looks like Hyperion and a random negative zone bug? That short sequence in NA still confuses me. Was it a flash forward or other incursions from other universes? I'm guessing the latter.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That looks like Hyperion and a random negative zone bug? That short sequence in NA still confuses me. Was it a flash forward or other incursions from other universes? I'm guessing the latter.

I think it was a flash forward but some of the designs might have not been finalized yet.
Also rereading Avengers #30 I just realized that Tony had Strange implant the idea of how the new Avengers team was going to work. Missed that the first time.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

I think it was a flash forward but some of the designs might have not been finalized yet.
That's what I'm thinking. Hickman probably knew they'd be fighting the JL at some point down the road, but hadn't finalized/come up with the specifics yet. Obviously, there is no WW analogue (well, yet, at least--I guess she could still show up, but I doubt it), and they're in a wide open desert instead of next to a metropolis, as shown, as well.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Senor Candle posted:

Also rereading Avengers #30 I just realized that Tony had Strange implant the idea of how the new Avengers team was going to work. Missed that the first time.

How's that? Strange isn't in 30 at all?

• Locked thread