Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
and ironically, the people refusing to believe in the aliens will be the same ones who think there are currently aliens visiting earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
don't forget young-earthers

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

ol qwerty bastard posted:

and ironically, the people refusing to believe in the aliens will be the same ones who think there are currently aliens visiting earth

there was a good bit in the last Stross laundry novel where they point out that when CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN occurs a good number of Americans will side with Cthulhu instead of the US government

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

stoutfish posted:

we need a new age of cynical sci-fi that takes stuff like this into account

hey michael crichton tried

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
the thing is that climate denial is only really a thing because it's a problem for petrotraficantes, so they throw money at influencing public opinion by buying pundits and corrupt "scientists" and congressmen

i can't think of a reason anybody would do that in case of alien invasion. cui bono?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Heresiarch posted:

the thing is that climate denial is only really a thing because it's a problem for petrotraficantes, so they throw money at influencing public opinion by buying pundits and corrupt "scientists" and congressmen

i can't think of a reason anybody would do that in case of alien invasion. cui bono?

what ol qwerty bastard said

false flag stuff

even seeing the saucers people would be all like the military's had that poo poo for years this is bullshit and i won't have this one world gummint

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

dont change my name posted:

viggo and duvall are the best tehings about The Road movie

the book is superior

the road was filmed in my hometown because it looks like postapocalyptic hellscape in winter

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
people that know that aliens are attacking won't buy your anti-terrorist stuff i guess?

anyone who thinks that an alien invasion is a false flag is the kind of person that would live in a bunker and post on infowars all day

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

edge of tomorrow: i liked it

lol @ the powersuits using batteries though

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

edge of tomorrow: i liked it

lol @ the powersuits using batteries though

i liked it when blunt took out cruise's battery, that was pretty hilarious

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

the only thing that would ever unify humanity is a dire external threat

has anyone ever written a scifi where aliens invade for our own good; in order to get us to stop killing each other?

the lathe of heaven

Jet Age posted:

there was a good bit in the last Stross laundry novel where they point out that when CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN occurs a good number of Americans will side with Cthulhu instead of the US government

hail satancthulhu

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Picked up the new Prophet series and I think I gave myself some kind of brain damage. It's pretty amazing.

https://www.comixology.com/Prophet-Vol-1-Remission/digital-comic/28583

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

syscall girl posted:

what ol qwerty bastard said

false flag stuff

even seeing the saucers people would be all like the military's had that poo poo for years this is bullshit and i won't have this one world gummint

yeah but those kinds of crazies don't have the money for big media campaigns, which is what you need to do things like convince enough people that there is a global conspiracy by climate scientists. otherwise you just end up with the readership of infowars and they can't really influence much

SynthOrange posted:

Picked up the new Prophet series and I think I gave myself some kind of brain damage. It's pretty amazing.

https://www.comixology.com/Prophet-Vol-1-Remission/digital-comic/28583

it really is fantastic and it just gets better

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the road's world bothered me with its inconsistencies. i'm not using spoiler tags for a oprah-featured best seller from eight years ago

the kid's mother was pregnant when the world died. he's seven or eight years old. so how is anyone alive? how is there anything left to scavenge after eight years ? how do people live for eight years in a world without a biosphere?

again on the age of the kid: how are there corpses sitting out in the open? i get that they're supposed to be mummified, but shouldn't the bands of starving people have gotten to the jerky specials sooner or later?

what's with the death cultists marching around?

how do the dudes keep a "living larder" for eight years?

i guess there's still enough oxygen in the air for people to breathe, even if it slowly killing them. the book mentions how there's nothing to eat out in the open, the few times they find food is in cellars or underground bunkers. the rest seemed of them seem to have formed those cannibal cults and I guess they leave bodies which have been lying out for 8 years because it probably doesn't taste very good, and they've got "fresh" meat with them. i don't remember the living larder part sorry :(.

this is probably all wrong

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

saucepanman posted:

i guess there's still enough oxygen in the air for people to breathe, even if it slowly killing them.
the air thing doesnt bother me, the author never says the oceans are dead

saucepanman posted:

the book mentions how there's nothing to eat out in the open, the few times they find food is in cellars or underground bunkers.
why is there anything left in cellars after eight years?
particularly cellars close to a highway that seems to get a lot of traffic

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
eight years is just a really, really long time. there ain't that many canned goods just lying around my house, or even in a grocery store.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

and what's the deal with that map of dry land tattooed on the girl's back?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

eight years is just a really, really long time. there ain't that many canned goods just lying around my house, or even in a grocery store.

grocery stores have maybe 1wk of supplies? kill 99.9% of the population and

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
macarthy doesn't write realism

his hellish visions verge on the surreal

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Amethyst posted:

please don't attribute yore posts to macarthy

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

hahaha

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
im looking for some good media regarding the 4 horsemen of the apocolypse, could someone help me out?d

Afinostux
Dec 26, 2012

Valeyard posted:

im looking for some good media regarding the 4 horsemen of the apocolypse, could someone help me out?d

http://www.causticsodapodcast.com/series/four-horsemen-2/

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Revelation 6 is the obvious one but you probably already know that

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Amethyst posted:

a cheap cop-out

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
this author that deals heavily in metaphor doesn't pay meticulous attention to detail about an apocalypse scenario that aligns with my own opinions based on little more than conjecture!!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
http://yelpingwithcormac.tumblr.com

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Valeyard posted:

sleepy hollow

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Valeyard posted:

x-men comic books

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

this book is sitting on my shitter right now

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the air thing doesnt bother me, the author never says the oceans are dead

why is there anything left in cellars after eight years?
particularly cellars close to a highway that seems to get a lot of traffic

i dunno people miss things i guess? also one was literally a hidden bunker (the one with the shower and beds). and yeah after most of the population is dead a few smart/quick ones will scavenge whatever they can.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

Valeyard posted:

well, "thief of time" was mentioned earlier, but i suppose it really has 5 horsemen

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Valeyard posted:

did you read good omens yet?

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i'm not a weird survivalist and even i have ~4 months of food between the freezer and the pantry just from buying from case sales and canning stuff from the garden

like, i knew a mormon family that kept 6 months worth of food for 8 people and they were always moaning about how they needed to build an extension for a bigger pantry

i'm guessing when the ol' beast finally slouches toward bethlehem a motivated dude with a pilfered machine gun will be able to find plenty of canned goods

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

sleepy hollow

ive actually never read the original story, or seen any of the movies based on it, so that might be a good start. Also the recent tv show looks really good based on what ive read off of wikipedia

duTrieux. posted:

x-men comic books

i never knew this existed but it seems cool

well, "thief of time" was mentioned earlier, but i suppose it really has 5 horsemen

i just looked this up and it sounds great. i dont think ive read a single terry pratchett book

syscall girl posted:

did you read good omens yet?

nope, but hooooly poo poo this seems amazing!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Valeyard posted:

nope, but hooooly poo poo this seems amazing!

yeah, good omens is reaal good and has lots of stuff about the four horsemen in.

pratchett is one of my favourite authors and gaiman isn't bad either

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
good omens owns bones but the curse it has seems to be real, ive bought 2 copies lost one and the other got ruined

wonder what happens if i buy it on kindle

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

A Pinball Wizard posted:

good omens owns bones but the curse it has seems to be real, ive bought 2 copies lost one and the other got ruined

wonder what happens if i buy it on kindle

emp

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
not really a good omens spoiler but something that's only implied for most of the book iirc:
Pestilence retired due to modern medicine and Pollution took over from him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
pestilence is back with a vengeance in reality and his name is now anti-vaccination :(

• Locked thread