Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

sullat posted:

But what was the government doing in 1931 that turned the tide? I'm not familiar with Hoover's policies to recall anything beyond "balance the budget at all costs" and "save the gold standard". I guess using the army to club unemployed vets is certainly one way to incentivize employment, but other than that, I'm not aware of any helpful government actions until FDR. After all, he took office just as the entire US banking system was cratering and he managed to turn it around. So unless the argument is "the economy just does its thing" I really can't see a way to give Hoover any credit for the recovery.

Hoover's ideal was "let this poo poo sort itself out." His attitude was that the government should not get involved with the affairs of the people, economically speaking, at all. In a lot of ways he was the ultimate libertarian. He was also far more concerned with getting reelected than actually doing anything. In a way it was a reflection of the time but on the other side of things you saw a lot of the same problems that you're seeing now. A few people owned basically everything. Gigantic monopolies controlled most major industries. Poverty was rampant and vast swathes of land were owned by the wealthy. Sharecroppers and tenant farmers were the norm in many areas.

A depression happened because a lack of financial regulation caused a massive bubble that burst and tanked everything. Businesses were declaring that they'd make product and turn the economy back on if people would actually start buying poo poo again but nobody had any money. The unemployed were being blamed for being unemployed even though the people that owned all the land and factories weren't hiring. Hoover's response was much like the libertarian one now; "well go find a job if you want one so bad." Except that there weren't any. Unemployment got as high as 25%. The major thing that Roosevelt did was, you know, anything at all. Yeah it had its ups and downs but part of the reason people got fond of Roosevelt was that he was pretty honest about the whole thing. His attitude was basically that America was facing a problem that had never been seen before so nobody had the faintest clue what to do about it. So, he'd try poo poo and if that didn't work he'd try some other poo poo.

Hoover, rather than dealing with the problems, forced them to leave his back yard with guns. For better or for worse people would much prefer the guy that at least tried something to the guy that called in the artillery and said "gently caress off."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

sullat posted:

But what was the government doing in 1931 that turned the tide? I'm not familiar with Hoover's policies to recall anything beyond "balance the budget at all costs" and "save the gold standard". I guess using the army to club unemployed vets is certainly one way to incentivize employment, but other than that, I'm not aware of any helpful government actions until FDR. After all, he took office just as the entire US banking system was cratering and he managed to turn it around. So unless the argument is "the economy just does its thing" I really can't see a way to give Hoover any credit for the recovery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Hoover#Great_Depression posted:

Hoover engaged in many unprecedented public works programs, including an increase in the Federal Buildings program of over $400 million and the establishment of the Division of Public Construction to spur public works planning. Hoover himself granted more subsidies to ship construction through the Federal Shipping Board and asked for a further $175 million appropriation for public works; this was followed in July 1930 with the expenditure of a giant $915 million public works program, including a Hoover Dam on the Colorado River.[103][104] In the spring of 1930, Hoover acquired from Congress an added $100 million to continue the Federal Farm Board lending and purchasing policies. At the end of 1929, the FFB established a national wool cooperative-the National Wool Marketing Corporation (NWMC) made up of 30 state associations. The Board also established an allied National Wool Credit Corporation to handle finances. A total of $31.5 million in loans for wool were made by the FFB, of which $12.5 million were permanently lost; these massive agricultural subsidies were a precedent for the later Agricultural Adjustment Act.[105][106] Hoover also advocated strong labor regulation law, including the enactment of the Bacon-Davis Act, requiring a maximum eight-hour day on construction of public buildings and the payment of at least the "prevailing wage" in the locality, as well as the Norris-LaGuardia Act in 1932. In the Banking sector, Hoover passed The Federal Home Loan Bank Act in July, 1932, establishing 12 district banks ruled by a Federal Home Loan Bank Board in a manner similar to the Federal Reserve System. $125 million capital was subscribed by the Treasury and this was subsequently shifted to the RFC. Hoover was also instrumental in passing the Glass-Steagall Act of 1932, allowing for prime rediscounting at the Federal Reserve, allowing further inflation of credit and bank reserves.[107]

Congress, desperate to increase federal revenue, enacted the Revenue Act of 1932, which was the largest peacetime tax increase in history.[117] The Act increased taxes across the board, so that top earners were taxed at 63% on their net income. The 1932 Act also increased the tax on the net income of corporations from 12% to 13.75%.

The final attempt of the Hoover Administration to rescue the economy occurred in 1932 with the passage of the Emergency Relief and Construction Act, which authorized funds for public works programs and the creation of the Reconstruction Finance Corporation (RFC). The RFC's initial goal was to provide government-secured loans to financial institutions, railroads and farmers. The RFC had minimal impact at the time, but was adopted by President Franklin D. Roosevelt and greatly expanded as part of his New Deal.
Not an expert on the period, but Hoover was hardly idle. His attempts to keep a balanced budget probably counteracted his stimulus efforts to a significant extent.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Part of Hoover's problem was that his government interventions rested too heavily on volunteerism of the rich and powerful. Hoover did push a lot of money towards programs to help the country be able to do stuff, but that money was controlled by board members from powerful companies who were under no auspices to actually spend it unless they saw fit. Something to tune of $500 million got given to organizations designed to spur construction and innovation, but barely any of it actually got doled out.

FDR tried in the beginning to get CEOs and other powerful people on board, but by the end of his First New Deal phase, he realized the problem was the rich CEOs didn't have much reason to do anything, so he had to change tactics.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 13, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

cheerfullydrab posted:

Are you trying to say that the Poles deserved what happened to them?

They were asking for it, stealing all our fresh water.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
And while Hoover did far more than most people realized, he didn't do anything early on. By the time his administration actively attacked the issue, there wasn't enough time for those changes to take effect before the next election cycle. Roosevelt did a lot, but he also benefited from economic moves made before he took office.

And Roosevelt's moves were far from perfect. His NIRA, which set prices and wages at above market values, hurt the economy before being struck down a couple of years later.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

I don't know if an unemployment graph really helps much.

Well, let's see!

quote:

Oh hey, it shows that unemployment was 25% when FDR took office and down to <15% before the '37-38 recession. That would actually seem to help a lot!

quote:

It's tough to determine just how effective Roosevelt's New Deal was. The chart above makes it look like the New Deal saved us all, but those programs didn't start until 1933 while the unemployment rate's climb rapidly decreased in 1932. Obviously Roosevelt accomplished some very important goals. He can be credited with rescuing the banking system as well as employing a whole lot of idle young men (never a good thing to have). However, government interference with the economy takes at least a year to show up. So the improvements in 1934 and 35 may have been Hoover's work as much as Roosevelt's.

It's possible. In 1931-1932 Hoover was finally becoming convinced of the necessity of hands-on government action to get the economy moving again, and he made some limited steps in that direction, although the New Deal expanded the approach massively. It may be that the moderation in the rate of GDP loss and rate of job loss in 1933-34 was due in part to what Hoover was doing in '31-'32, but what he was doing was a sort of weak prototype to what the New Deal accomplished later--and the New Deal was considerably more successful in stimulating the economy.

The one-year thing is a rule of thumb to compensate for lagging indicators, not an actual law of economics. If the government takes actions that dramatically increase the supply of money in the economy it's not like everybody sits around for a full calendar year before making use of it. In a case like the first year of the Roosevelt administration, where major policy initiatives were rapidly passed to great public fanfare, you'd be looking at a stimulative combination of quickly increasing confidence and concrete changes to the structure of the economy. For example, FDR's rescue of the banking system went live almost as soon as he came into office, and that would have had a huge effect. Also, in the specific case of unemployment, you would also tend to see an immediate improvement within 1933 simply because of early New Deal programs that employed people directly, like the CCC and CWA. The CWA is a particularly obvious example, since it was active from March '33 to March '34 and in that time provided 4 million jobs.

And of course all of this is focusing on the 1930s, when in fact policy in the footstep and after the fashion of the New Deal continued through to the early 1960s, encompassing the period of greatest sustained growth in American economic history.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

EvanSchenck posted:

Well, let's see!

Oh hey, it shows that unemployment was 25% when FDR took office and down to <15% before the '37-38 recession. That would actually seem to help a lot!

It's possible. In 1931-1932 Hoover was finally becoming convinced of the necessity of hands-on government action to get the economy moving again, and he made some limited steps in that direction, although the New Deal expanded the approach massively. It may be that the moderation in the rate of GDP loss and rate of job loss in 1933-34 was due in part to what Hoover was doing in '31-'32, but what he was doing was a sort of weak prototype to what the New Deal accomplished later--and the New Deal was considerably more successful in stimulating the economy.

The one-year thing is a rule of thumb to compensate for lagging indicators, not an actual law of economics. If the government takes actions that dramatically increase the supply of money in the economy it's not like everybody sits around for a full calendar year before making use of it. In a case like the first year of the Roosevelt administration, where major policy initiatives were rapidly passed to great public fanfare, you'd be looking at a stimulative combination of quickly increasing confidence and concrete changes to the structure of the economy. For example, FDR's rescue of the banking system went live almost as soon as he came into office, and that would have had a huge effect. Also, in the specific case of unemployment, you would also tend to see an immediate improvement within 1933 simply because of early New Deal programs that employed people directly, like the CCC and CWA. The CWA is a particularly obvious example, since it was active from March '33 to March '34 and in that time provided 4 million jobs.

And of course all of this is focusing on the 1930s, when in fact policy in the footstep and after the fashion of the New Deal continued through to the early 1960s, encompassing the period of greatest sustained growth in American economic history.

Banking was a place where Roosevelt had an almost immediate impact and consumer confidence from Roosevelt's election could have boosted economic activity, but it's unlikely it did too much considering unemployment was still 3 to 5 times pre-Depression levels and household money supplies were tight.

I don't doubt Roosevelt did more than Hoover to help the country. Where I object is the distribution of credit. Unemployment levels stopped rising before Roosevelt took office and economic progress in 1933 and 34 probably had as much to do with Hoover as FDR.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

People solely seem to poo poo on Hoover (who does deserve significant credit), but how about Andrew Mellon?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

Banking was a place where Roosevelt had an almost immediate impact and consumer confidence from Roosevelt's election could have boosted economic activity, but it's unlikely it did too much considering unemployment was still 3 to 5 times pre-Depression levels and household money supplies were tight.

I don't doubt Roosevelt did more than Hoover to help the country. Where I object is the distribution of credit. Unemployment levels stopped rising before Roosevelt took office and economic progress in 1933 and 34 probably had as much to do with Hoover as FDR.

One of the biggest problem with economics is we don't have a control economy to compare the real economy too. For example, if Hoover had been re-elected, and then failed to solve the banking collapse like FDR did, would the economy have continued its tepid recovery, or would it have collapsed again? Judging from other periods when the financial system collapsed or came close to it, that sort of event does lead to a spike in unemployment and economic hardship. So FDR's handling of the banking collapse after Hoover's failure to contain it certainly means that he deserves most, if not all, of the credit for the subsequent recovery.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Modern Day Hercules posted:

You make yourself look stupid when you post about counterfactual history like there's some absolute truth to it. There's like a million different ways that could have gone down that don't end up with a worse world. For instance, the Soviet Union tries to hold down the entire European continent like they did the Ukraine in our timeline, except they don't have the resources to do it right so the whole drat house of cards crashes, the USSR ends in the 1950's and now instead of having a bunch of countries in Eastern Europe that are only now overcoming a half century of oppression, we have a bunch of countries in Eastern Europe that never really got a chance to be oppressed in the first place. Would that be a worse world?

cheerfullydrab posted:

Again, these things were agreed upon in '43, when Roosevelt had at least one card to play: the removal of aid to the Soviet Union. But he never ever did that. He readily agreed to the loving over of Poland and the Polish people when there were few Soviet troops on the ground there and he had something with which to negotiate. Moving Poland to the west a little bit and ethnically cleansing millions of people, including Poles who were citizens of an Allied nation, wasn't a fait accompli. It was something that Roosevelt actively played a part in.

Trying to gently caress with Lend-Lease was probably the A+ most assured way to piss off the Soviet Union and convince them that the Capitalists were attempting to stab them in the back, at a time when they were already suspicious that the Second Front hadn't been opened up and Roosevelt was desperately trying to get them to declare war on Japan. As it was, the US managed to get them to declare that open and free elections would be held in the territories they'd liberated from the Nazis, which was the best anyone could hope for without enacting Operation Unthinkable or trying to reach the Vistula themselves. Not to mention the fact that in 1943, the Nazis were still deep in Soviet territory, and by the time they'd actually reached Poland the war only had another 6 months to go in Europe, and cutting Lend-Lease wouldn't have done anything but piss them off further. Arguing that the Soviet domination of Eastern Europe was somehow the fault of Roosevelt is just flat-out a-historical.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

FAUXTON posted:

I've never seen "I shitpost in threads I dont read" put in so few letters before.

He could also not know. I didn't until very recently, and I'd consider myself more well-read on the period than most people.

The answer, for the record, is the Recession of '37-'38.

Which is to say, we're not entirely sure. The two most likely causes are two of the big economic stimulus Alphabet Soup programs, the PWA and WPA, receiving large budget cuts, which neatly explains the reason you enact public stimulus when the economy is down. The other theoretical reason is Corporate America being faced with taxation on retained earnings and deciding to say "No, gently caress You Dad" and choking off the economy in retaliation. A third theory is the tightening of the money supply by the Fed, but that's advanced by the Austrian School which at this point I'm pretty sure is founded on nothing, so.

What should be sort of Very Concerning is that both of the two more likely causes can be seen happening very closely paralleled today--lack of and cutting of public stimulus, and Corporate America deciding it wants everything for itself.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jun 14, 2014

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I heard about a speech made by Strom Thurmond during the dixiecrat campaign of 1948 where he explicitly racial epithets. The clip I heard started with something like "there aren't enough soldiers in the army" or something. Can someone help me narrow this down?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

gradenko_2000 posted:

I heard about a speech made by Strom Thurmond during the dixiecrat campaign of 1948 where he explicitly racial epithets. The clip I heard started with something like "there aren't enough soldiers in the army" or something. Can someone help me narrow this down?

http://mije.org/richardprince/news-outlets-using-sanitized-1948-strom-thurmond-quote

quote:

In 1948, according to the Web site stromwatch.com, which provides audio of the statement, Thurmond said:

"I wanna tell you, ladies and gentlemen, that there's not enough troops in the army to force the southern people to break down segregation and admit the friend of the family race into our theatres into our swimming pools into our homes and into our churches."

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
The good part is that there were enough troops just in the national guard to do it.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

The South always seems to really underestimate how many troops the federal government has, yes.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

This is something more recent in history, but I kind of want to learn more about the LA Riots.

Having read about it, it seems pretty drat scary in retrospect.

Was there any goons that have any sort of memory of the event itself? I was only 3 at the time, so for me it's way too early to really have any knowledge of.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Berke Negri posted:

The South always seems to really underestimate how many troops the federal government has exist in a world outside of time and space where a boundless amount of uneducated, intensely jealous anger and disgust at the evolution of modern human life and social mores will, somehow, bring them an epic victory over tariffs abolitionism Republicans Martin Luther King Jr. people voting education standards women Democrats oh gently caress it whatever it is this decade that they are bound and determined to fight to their very last breath against secure in the knowledge that that victory will immediately and forever put the mud people BACK IN THEIR PLACE.

This is more accurate IMO.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I just want to plug in this documentary series on Native American series I'm currently watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOsYYbw_kE4

It's pretty great so far, at times inspiring and heartbreaking. It seems pretty accurate too, what with all the quotes from historical Native American leaders and modern native historians and such.

There should totally be a high-budget HBO show about the Haudenosaunee during the French and Indian Wars and Revolutionary War. Or maybe something on the life of Tecumseh.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Can it have a white protagonist?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

VideoTapir posted:

Can it have a white protagonist?

Like that Denzel Washington biopic of Touissant L'Overture?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Frostwerks posted:

Like that Denzel Washington biopic of Touissant L'Overture?

hahaha what?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
This is the American History thread, and I hate people pitching what they think would make the ULTIMATE HBO MINISERIES, but I'd kill for an epic Haitian Revolution series.

Volkerball posted:

That would be pure comedy. US foreign policy is still poo poo, but drat have we come a long way.
huh?

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 19, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Echo Chamber posted:

This is the American History thread, and I hate people pitching what they think would make the ULTIMATE HBO MINISERIES, but I'd kill for an epic Haitian Revolution series.

That would be pure comedy. US foreign policy is still poo poo, but drat have we come a long way.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
The Haitian Revolution was founded in the Enlightenment ideals that inspired the American and French Revolutions, and a logical consequence of the proposition that all men are created equal, yet the US government and Revolutionary France tried to suppress the rebellion because it was upsetting the slave economy both nations controlled. Irony all around.
VVV The essence of humor is incongruity or irony.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 19, 2014

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Negative Entropy posted:

The Haitian Revolution was founded in the Enlightenment ideals that inspired the American and French Revolutions, and a logical consequence of the proposition that all men are created equal, yet the US government and Revolutionary France tried to suppress the rebellion because it was slaves rebelling against their masters.
I know that; I was trying to figure out why Volkerball finds the Haitian Revolution funny.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

The reason it would be pure comedy is because everyone and their cousin gets involved in the Haitian Revolution at SOME point from 1791-1804. It would be impossible to remember who was on whose side, and who any of the characters were because it is such a complex mess.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Echo Chamber posted:

I know that; I was trying to figure out why Volkerball finds the Haitian Revolution funny.

Not to insult your intelligence on what you know or don't, but I'm going to explain this in depth to keep this post together. Under Washington, there were tremendous fears about slave revolts in the US within the administration, and Haiti signaled a potential spark to them. This, and a desire to pay the debt the US owed the French for their aid in the American Revolution led to the US authorizing money and weapons to be sent to the French slave-owners to help crush the rebellion right from the get go. This lasted until Adams administration, when there was nearly a complete 180. Louverture, who's uprising the US had just fought, became an ally of the US. The two exchanged diplomats and the US even provided naval support for Louverture in the War of Knives. Adams wasn't not concerned by the idea of slave revolts, but it wasn't a determining factor in his foreign policy, obviously. And contrary to the previous sentiment of aiding the French in good faith, Adams wanted to stick it to them due to what was perceived as reckless, French-supported privateering in the Caribbean, commonly against North American ships. This lasted for Adams one term. Then in came Jefferson, and suddenly, tensions over the US providing French enemies with weapons began to cool down, the US' friendly terms with San Domingue fell apart, and the US is approving French attempts to try and reclaim Saint-Domingue, which they had just helped Louverture take not 3 years before! The whole war is :psyduck: as all hell.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
And that's why a hypothetical series would be awesome. Audiences can see Toussaint skillfully manipulate his own men, the French Republic, petit blancs, grand blancs/royalists, the British, the Spanish, and the Americans as the global political climate changes. There are battles, shifting alliances, and court intrigue. We can get complex narratives around the cynical decisions Haitian Revolutionaries had to make to achieve their goals, and how those decisions ended up affecting Haiti for both better and worse for years. The show could be seen as "ahead of the curve" because it's specifically about how former slaves ended slavery, and totally avoids "white savior" readings. It could also further challenge traditional narratives American audiences have been spoon-fed. There's very little way around showing how Jefferson was deeply invested in preserving slavery. Robespierre, traditionally vilified for the Reign of Terror, doesn't come off looking too terrible. I know I'm getting off topic, and there's way more I could elaborate in such a pitch...

Getting back on subject, Jefferson hosed the Haitians over, yet stood to benefit from their success anyway with the acquisition of Louisiana from Napoleon... which expanded slavery territory in the U.S. :psyduck:

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 20, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Echo Chamber posted:

Getting back on subject, Jefferson hosed the Haitians over, yet stood to benefit from their success anyway with the acquisition of Louisiana from Napoleon... which expanded slavery territory in the U.S. :psyduck:

And it gave us a sufficiently lovely place to send our own indigenous population we were oppressing.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

This is something more recent in history, but I kind of want to learn more about the LA Riots.

Was there any goons that have any sort of memory of the event itself? I was only 3 at the time, so for me it's way too early to really have any knowledge of.

Do you mean the Rodney King Riots? I wasn't much older, only 5 or so at the time. Shortly afterward my dad bought a gun then almost shot a hole in his foot while cleaning it then sold it back at a significant loss when my mom found the bullet hole in the floor.

White people just went a little nutty afterwards.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Do you mean the Rodney King Riots? I wasn't much older, only 5 or so at the time. Shortly afterward my dad bought a gun then almost shot a hole in his foot while cleaning it then sold it back at a significant loss when my mom found the bullet hole in the floor.

White people just went a little nutty afterwards.

Your dad cleaned a gun while it was loaded?

poo poo, my father did not teach me a whole lot as I was growing up, but by god he made it his duty as a police officer with children to teach me and my sister gun safety and to never ever ever ever clean a gun while it's loaded.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Star Man posted:

Your dad cleaned a gun while it was loaded?
Well maybe his dad was Chief Wiggum. Ralph is a goon among goons

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Miltank posted:

hahaha what?

Some famous black actor in Hollywood's been trying to get a L'overture biopic done (pretty sure it's denzel) and the studios basically said, awesome, cool idea but um is there anyway we can have a white protagonist?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Frostwerks posted:

Some famous black actor in Hollywood's been trying to get a L'overture biopic done (pretty sure it's denzel) and the studios basically said, awesome, cool idea but um is there anyway we can have a white protagonist?

It's actually Danny Glover.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Frostwerks posted:

Danny Glover, actually.

Edit beaten. I'd prefer a prestige historical miniseries over a film.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Echo Chamber posted:

Danny Glover, actually.

Edit beaten. I'd prefer a prestige historical miniseries over a film.

All I want is a Blood Meridian HBO adaptation. Do not make a loving film, the MPAA will eat you alive. gently caress the MPAA. There's probably more rape and murder in game of thrones anyway.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
If we're talking about western miniseries, I want a Hell on Wheels-type show but with Chinese people, rather than the "we're only doing the Union Pacific Railroad" whitewash.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Echo Chamber posted:

If we're talking about western miniseries, I want a Hell on Wheels-type show but with Chinese people, rather than the "we're only doing the Union Pacific Railroad" whitewash.

Watch Deadwood. BM is another beast entirely.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Echo Chamber posted:

Canada's got you covered: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o87MgkGAqeU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

FuzzySkinner posted:

LA was a madhouse, but even way out here in Atlanta there was some serious poo poo. I remember watching helicopter footage of kids from the black colleges tearing up storefronts near their campuses.

A friend's father got the unfortunate distinction of Atlanta's worst beaten when he was caught outside the CNN center by a passing mob.

It was odd watching the cops not do anything. I guess there's something to be said for letting rioters break some poo poo and then hoping everything peters out. Sucks for the people whose buildings, cars, heads are getting bashed in though.

• Locked thread