Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
NW Raleigh, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Bristol

Defford

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Pablo Bluth posted:

I notice the the winners of the inaugural USA Landscape Photographer of the Year were announced a couple of weeks ago. What does everyone make of the winners? Not sure I'm entirely convinced by the processing of the overall winners.

Wow, those are pretty retarded. A couple of the "highly commended" ones are neat, but drat.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

8th-snype posted:

Formulaic, soulless, pretty, junk. It's all from the school of "stick a colorful thing in front of a wide angle lens and a dramatic thing in the background". Most of it is sloppy and poorly composed with post processing that ruins any sembleance of contrast or interest.

EDIT: Okay, there's a couple of decent images if you scroll way down.

They look like Thomas Kinkade paintings.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The Judge's Choice one with the person on the sand dunes is an interesting image.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I feel like a dumbass asking this, but why are those considered crap? I don't like them personally because they seem completely unrealistic; I can't go to those places and see a view identical/very similar to the photo, it seems really fake and contrived and artificial. At that point you may as well photoshop a composite of multiple images together to create a scene that doesn't exist in the real world at all. But what makes them lovely from a non-layman's point of view?

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Slavvy posted:

I feel like a dumbass asking this, but why are those considered crap? I don't like them personally because they seem completely unrealistic; I can't go to those places and see a view identical/very similar to the photo, it seems really fake and contrived and artificial. At that point you may as well photoshop a composite of multiple images together to create a scene that doesn't exist in the real world at all. But what makes them lovely from a non-layman's point of view?

You pretty much answered your own question

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I guess it depends if you find it more artistic to capture a scene exactly how it is, or to make it a little more surreal by adding your own flair (I hate using that word). Some artists would consider it amateur to simply capture a scene realistically.

I do think that compiling several images into one is sorta "cheating" and that many of the compositions are formulaic, but I'd be proud to have taken any of those photos. :shrug:

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

If you want nothing more from photography than 100% faithful reproductions of a scene, open a newspaper.

That said, I like to think that there was some process of artistic expression at work in making the photos displayed on that page. Working with that assumption, the winning photographers might have seen something more in those scenes than merely what was there, but the descriptions of the winning works don't provide any good insights into what their visions were. Even so, I can kind of infer what a lot of those images were trying to express, so I'm hesitant to call them complete crap. As has already been noted, there are even a couple of brilliant pictures on that page, and they stand on their own even if they didn't take first place.

There's plenty of room in creative photography for contrivance, artificiality, modification, and deception. Knowing how to use them well is the mark of a master. It's rare to encounter work on that level. We can usually point out those works that fall short without much difficulty, because they suck. It's silly to say things like "I can't go to those places and see a view identical/very similar to the photo," though, because there is no requirement that a photograph be honest.

If the notion of being lied to through pictures still bothers you, see the first line of this post.

TheJeffers fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 15, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's not a question of being lied to, it's a question of how far do you push the sliders before it's creatively flat. Obviously someone likes that junk because it keeps winning contests but it's like pop music, sells a lot of copies but no one remembers it 5 years down the road because they've all moved on to the next big thing.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
split by ian.mrozewski, on Flickr
path by ian.mrozewski, on Flickr
marine drive construction by ian.mrozewski, on Flickr
ash park by ian.mrozewski, on Flickr
ocean traffic by ian.mrozewski, on Flickr

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
20140614-IMG_7937 by Jenseales, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
it's not the lack of realism that bothers me but the lack of substance. There are a few really well done compositions on that page but stuff seems to lean heavily on the crutch of putting something shiny in the photo and hoping that we don't notice that it doesn't actually say anything. They just feel empty but not in a deliberate way, more like someone just following a check box of what will look cool on the wall at their dentist's office.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

8th-snype posted:

it's not the lack of realism that bothers me but the lack of substance. There are a few really well done compositions on that page but stuff seems to lean heavily on the crutch of putting something shiny in the photo and hoping that we don't notice that it doesn't actually say anything. They just feel empty but not in a deliberate way, more like someone just following a check box of what will look cool on the wall at their dentist's office.

This might as well be a discussion on breast implants.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

small town, oregon

IMG_5670 by s-bothun, on Flickr
IMG_5682 by s-bothun, on Flickr

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 1, 2020

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Gutzlaff Street, Hong Kong by alkanphel, on Flickr

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mayor depression posted:

small town, oregon

IMG_5670 by s-bothun, on Flickr
IMG_5682 by s-bothun, on Flickr

I think any thoughtful art maker would laugh at the notion of it being amateurish to capture a scene realistically. Personally I would say that good photography happens when a scene is captured exactly how it is, through the viewfinder of the individual artist. Any surreality should arise from within the image, and not because it was doctored into it in post.

A statement I agree with, followed by:
Proof of why I agree.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
There is no such thing as "captured exactly as it is" though. The photographer makes many choices in how they compose the photo, what they include, what they leave out, what they give prominence to etc. Even if those choices are largely subconscious the idea that photography is always a direct record of reality or objectively truthful is a myth.

imo.

deaders fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 15, 2014

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

deaders posted:

There is no such thing as "captured exactly as it is" though. The photographer makes many choices in how they compose the photo, what they include, what they leave out, what they give prominence to etc. Even if those choices are largely subconscious the idea that photography is always a direct record of reality or objectively truthful is a myth.

imo.

To be clear I was not arguing this.

I took "capturing a scene realistically" to simply mean that the objects that were in front of the camera at the time the photo was taken are what appear in the photo, rendered plainly and honestly, through the photographer's viewfinder - ie. the composition that they chose appropriate for what they wanted the picture to look like for their needs or for what they wanted to convey.

I think I was really speaking more in re: to crazy post processing to "surrealize" a lovely picture or combining a bunch of different exposures to make a single image larger than life - which I suppose there's no harm doing if you're not trying to pass it off like you're not doing that - it's just not really my cup of tea and I tend to think less of both the picture itself and the photographer that did it.

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jun 15, 2014

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Oh right you were talking more about post production, nvm.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

IanTheM posted:

This might as well be a discussion on breast implants.

haha what?

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

None of the photos we're discussing are surreal or appear to have had any aspirations of being surreal.

Exaggerating aspects of the scene through post-processing isn't necessarily surrealism, either, it's just exaggeration (or subduing, as the case may be.)

The notion that we have to render objects in front of the lens as they are, moderated only by inclusive and exclusive decisions of composition, is a stylistic choice, not a rule. If that works for your particular creative vision, then by all means, use it. The act of composition is merely one tool in the creative process, not the terminal point. Personally, I don't care what an artist does to their picture so long as it expresses their particular vision. Whether that vision is interesting, trite, moving, cliche, or stupid is another issue, but I don't care much about their methodology. I only care whether they expressed their idea well in the finished work and that that idea resonates with me.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

Extensive post-work doesn't bother me as a rule; there are many photos that I love that are heavily manipulated. What bothers me about those particular photos is that they don't achieve, or even attempt to achieve, anything more than prettiness. They function only as decoration, like as 8th-snype said, suitable for hanging in a dentist's office or using as a desktop wallpaper. I acknowledge that there is room for decorative art in the world, but why it bothers me in this context is that it's presented as something more than it is. It's as though the photographers and judges are unaware of the developments in photography of the past 40 years. I see the same thing in music all the time. Seriously, go check out the list of winners of the Pulitzer Prize for Music for the past 20 years and try not to gag at most of them.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

I think we can all agree that photo contests suck.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Go look at flickr explore for the same experience.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

deaders posted:

Go look at PAD/street thread for the same lovely experience.

:snoop:

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

Or most of this thread

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Speaking of lovely photos:

Faceing East, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

Went on a 7mile hike around Forrest Park, ended up seeing this.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
What bugs me the most is that waterfall picture that won one of the categories, done by the guy that gone runner up, looks like the horizon is off by like five degrees and it's making me hate it.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Kalama Substation by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
I am very sad, went on a solo hike yesterday with such gorgeous views, but all the pictures came out horribly exposed and with focus problems because I was really tired and in pain & also extremely pressed for time.

20140614-Panorama east view from Pochoco by MedievalMedic, on Flickr

20140614-Panorama north view from Pachoco by MedievalMedic, on Flickr

20140614-Panorama east view from Lomo de la Vaca by MedievalMedic, on Flickr

20140614-Panorama west-south-west view from Lomo de la Vaca by MedievalMedic, on Flickr

Medieval Medic fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 15, 2014

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Paper

murp
May 30, 2007

DSC_0014 by Dingus Falcon, on Flickr

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

quote:

I travelled to Manhattan with the goal of taking an original picture. One morning whilst using a fisheye lens for street photography I came across the iconic Apple store on 5th Avenue.

quote:

original picture. Apple store on 5th Avenue.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=apple%20store%20nyc <-- scrolled for ten seconds and saw 14 photos just like that dude's photo

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Please don't hack shame

SimonomiS
Apr 3, 2009

HookShot posted:

What bugs me the most is that waterfall picture that won one of the categories, done by the guy that gone runner up, looks like the horizon is off by like five degrees and it's making me hate it.

Plus, dude talks about himself in third person.

Hjalti
Feb 23, 2006

A Bus stop.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Chellah Ruins in Rabat by Spiff11, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01