Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

KoRMaK posted:

I just got to demon ruins. Should I go tithe fortress thing that gets opened when you ring the bell before continuing in the ruins? Also, those fuckig Taurus demons are really hard, the ones that get revealed when you defeat ceaseless discharge. Ceaseless was also a very easy fight, I got him to jump at me near the white fog gate and mashed his hand twice and he fell.

It's better to go to the fortress first. Even if you can get through the Demon Ruins you'll eventually hit a literal plot barrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Astora's Straight Sword does. A mimic in Anor Londo will drop an Occult Club, which is the strongest thing you'll find at base strength if you're not looking to waste titanite on a faith weapon.

The occult club does not kill skeletons that have a live necromancer attached to them. It is occult, not divine. The silver knight spear is divine and can kill those skeletons, despite not dealing magic damage (and not scaling with faith) unlike all other divine weapons that I know about. What you're looking for is a white circle with a number next to it. If the weapon has that, it is divine. If the circle is black (as with the occult club), it is occult.

E: The occult club (and other weapons that have been made occult with the occult ember) can be downgraded to divine +5 at a blacksmith. This will make it divine and able to kill said skeletons.

V V V well now I feel like an idiot. Time to go to bed and stop tired-posting.

pun pundit fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 14, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Er, that's what I meant. You can downgrade it to a divine club. I wasn't thinking and just assumed it was obvious.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've always just barreled through everything and killed the Necromancers with a pack of skellies on my heels. The real pain in the rear end part of Catacombs is the motherfucking valley of bonewheels. Hate those things.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

pun pundit posted:

V V V well now I feel like an idiot. Time to go to bed and stop tired-posting.

Nah man, don't worry about it. You were right to point it out. It wasn't obvious unless you already knew, and if he did he wouldn't have asked. I was being dumb.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've not done Catacombs yet, but I've cleared Anor Londo and Darkroot Garden most recently. Was planning on doing the DLC to get Black Flame and enough souls to get the last upgrade on my pyromancy glove before fighting the 4 kings but would doing the Catacombs first be better? I've got a large and great club I could make divine despite having no faith if it helps

Edit: looks like doing darkroot basin would be a good idea to get an extra 4 levels to be able to use cast light and also get the spell itself

Jose fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 14, 2014

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Jose posted:

I've not done Catacombs yet, but I've cleared Anor Londo and Darkroot Garden most recently. Was planning on doing the DLC to get Black Flame and enough souls to get the last upgrade on my pyromancy glove before fighting the 4 kings but would doing the Catacombs first be better? I've got a large and great club I could make divine despite having no faith if it helps

Edit: looks like doing darkroot basin would be a good idea to get an extra 4 levels to be able to use cast light and also get the spell itself

Since you cleared Anor Londo, get the cast light spell at the Basin and then do Catacombs. When you beat the boss there try to explore the next area for a bit. At least reach the first bonfire and you can do whatever after that.

Just know that in order to do the dlc you'll have to place the Lordvessel and kill the golem in the Duke's Archives.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm doing New Londo Ruins and I swear a 5th king spawned unless they continue to spawn forever if not killed

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Jose posted:

I'm doing New Londo Ruins and I swear a 5th king spawned unless they continue to spawn forever if not killed
Only four kings can be in the arena at the same time. But new kings will spawn to replace the ones you've killed if you're taking it slow.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'd killed 3 and was working on a 4th when I saw it. Not having any poise in the fight and having no way of getting a decent amount is annoying. I've come really close twice but taking a break for now after a couple of attempts

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I think i read somewhere that the max is 7 total (since to see the 8th you'd have to deal more damage than the "boss" bar can take). Makes me curious what happens if you multiply his health using CE or something, does it continue spawning them or do you just end up in an empty arena?

Also yeah, depending on your damage output 4 kings is one of the rougher fights, sometimes you just get a row of moves that don't give you an opening to deal damage and then you're in trouble.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Jose posted:

I'd killed 3 and was working on a 4th when I saw it. Not having any poise in the fight and having no way of getting a decent amount is annoying. I've come really close twice but taking a break for now after a couple of attempts
Equip Havels set, if you don't have it warp to Anor Londo and get it, go to town on 4k.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Last time I did it I used iron flesh but seems thats been nerfed pretty heavily. Equipping all of havel's set will give me probably worse than a fat roll, although don't know how much it will matter

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Jose posted:

Last time I did it I used iron flesh but seems thats been nerfed pretty heavily. Equipping all of havel's set will give me probably worse than a fat roll, although don't know how much it will matter

Against the Four Kings, the best strategy is to equip the tankiest gear you have and mash R1. Don't bother rolling, just get in their face and mash R1. Heal when necessary.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

King of Solomon posted:

Against the Four Kings, the best strategy is to equip the tankiest gear you have and mash R1. Don't bother rolling, just get in their face and mash R1. Heal when necessary.
I haven't tried this out, but since most, if not all of the 4Kings attack damage is magic based, try magic barrier or great magic barrier too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You don't even need Havel's or anything as crazy as that. I had the Elite Knight set on and they couldn't knock me around.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I made my way through the iron golem and to anor londo. I can't get anywhere though. I defeated the gargoyle and there is a long walkway to a dead end above a large fall and then the golden door. Should I go back to somewhere else?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

I made my way through the iron golem and to anor londo. I can't get anywhere though. I defeated the gargoyle and there is a long walkway to a dead end above a large fall and then the golden door. Should I go back to somewhere else?

Look at that building on the left of the bridge. There's a way inside if you know where to look.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Are there any warp points in Demon Ruins or Lost Izalith? Just got the sunlight maggot and want to go to the catacombs and tomb of giants next but I'll finish off this way if I can't warp to it

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Jose posted:

Are there any warp points in Demon Ruins or Lost Izalith? Just got the sunlight maggot and want to go to the catacombs and tomb of giants next but I'll finish off this way if I can't warp to it
There aren't, closest would be Daughter of Chaos and then the elevator shortcut down, although you'd still have to run through the lava pit again - unless you opened the chaos covenant gate. Doesn't take that long and there's technically no enemy you have to fight (unless you're insane and want to clear out the non-respawning dragon butts).

What's the last bonfire you found?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Jose posted:

Yes. There is one hidden in the towering structures. They have four identical walls on each side. One is an illusion.

In one tower there is a chest in the other a bonfire.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

In Anor Lando, is it normal to do peanuts damage to the titanite demon? I've got a +9 balder side sword which is pretty much my most damagedealing weapon (also got a nice upgraded bandit blade for those backstabs and bleed) but it's ... not very effective. I might have missed a good dex-based weapon?

also is the crimson armor set the best low-weight armor at this point in the game?

double nine fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jun 15, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Balder Side Sword is a great dex weapon. Titanite demons are essentially minibosses though, so they tend to take a decent beating before going down. Also, this is a really dumb thing of me but it's Anor Londo. I keep reading it like "an Orlando".

I like the gold-hemmed set for low weight armor, but I couldn't tell you which is statistically the best.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

The Dingy armor from the Firelink firekeeper would be the best, statistically. And most importantly, the top looks really good with most armor :)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Why is steam taking forever to sync my game before launching it?

Just beat Bed of Chaos. Died 3 times falling in, twice as a result of not looking where I was going. lol what a dumb fight

Jose fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 15, 2014

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

double nine posted:

In Anor Lando, is it normal to do peanuts damage to the titanite demon? I've got a +9 balder side sword which is pretty much my most damagedealing weapon (also got a nice upgraded bandit blade for those backstabs and bleed) but it's ... not very effective. I might have missed a good dex-based weapon?

There are actually two different strengths of titanite demon. Don't look or act any different (I think), but some have notably more health than the others.
Eg: the one under the undead parish is one of the weaker ones. The one in anor londo is one of the stronger ones, I believe.

Balder side sword and silver knight straight sword are both excellent dex weapons. Unless you have a really highly upgraded/enchanted weapon you're not going to seem to do high damage to that enemy. Just circle to the right and don't mess up. A resin or buff can help.

Unrelated note, I fired this game up again after playing DkSII for a while. I still think just the normal walking and running animations, and moving around in general feel so much better in this game. Things just feel like they have more weight. Definitely missing a lot of the convenience features added in II though, like easier ways to roll out of a run (I know about the blocking trick, but still), and no run startup delay, etc.

Co-op/invasions, at least around OnS still get a decent amount of hits. PVP in this game feels way different than in II.
Finally picked up the moonlight greatsword in a run, and its a lot of fun. Getting it probably took longer than it should, since I went through several near full lifebars before learning that I had to attack only the tip of Seath's tail and not the middle. I should probably never actually hit another player with the moonlight R2 attacks, but its really satisfying when it does happen.

Jordbo posted:

The Dingy armor from the Firelink firekeeper would be the best, statistically. And most importantly, the top looks really good with most armor :)

Dingy robe top definitely looks great. Not really a fan of the skirt, though.
Also, unless you upgrade the pieces, the gold hemmed set has better defense and is almost certainly the best light armor set for when you get it.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Christ almighty, I got this game a couple of days ago and while it's really, really good it's starting to seriously frustrate me. The two parts I've been stuck on before have been the Gargoyle fight (solved by summoning Solaire of Astora) and the Chorda Demon which killed me in literally five seconds the first ten times I fought him (solved by gittan gud). I'm in the Depths and banging my head against the Gaping Dragon.

Mainly it's the fact that I got Cursed, went around for ages with it on, taking advantage of it to do some stuff in New Londo and realised that having 50% health was making it too hard to fight Gaping Dragon. I spent about an hour or something getting the money to remove the curse because I kept getting greedy and losing my corpse. Finally got it fixed, went back to Depths to fight Gaping, got invaded and died of a Curse in the process. I literally haven't even been hit by Curse since it happened the first time. Ten seconds into the Depths with no Curse and it happens again. gently caress this game.

Relatedly, any advice for Gaping Dragon? With my tiny health pool, I have to go through the whole fight without being hit since one hit will kill me and the "bait his charge, hit him a couple of times, repeat" strategy isn't working thanks to my inability, even while naked, to outrun the retaliatory tail swipe. I've heard getting the summons actually makes this fight harder since it increases his health.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Doodmons posted:

Christ almighty, I got this game a couple of days ago and while it's really, really good it's starting to seriously frustrate me. The two parts I've been stuck on before have been the Gargoyle fight (solved by summoning Solaire of Astora) and the Chorda Demon which killed me in literally five seconds the first ten times I fought him (solved by gittan gud). I'm in the Depths and banging my head against the Gaping Dragon.

Mainly it's the fact that I got Cursed, went around for ages with it on, taking advantage of it to do some stuff in New Londo and realised that having 50% health was making it too hard to fight Gaping Dragon. I spent about an hour or something getting the money to remove the curse because I kept getting greedy and losing my corpse. Finally got it fixed, went back to Depths to fight Gaping, got invaded and died of a Curse in the process. I literally haven't even been hit by Curse since it happened the first time. Ten seconds into the Depths with no Curse and it happens again. gently caress this game.

Relatedly, any advice for Gaping Dragon? With my tiny health pool, I have to go through the whole fight without being hit since one hit will kill me and the "bait his charge, hit him a couple of times, repeat" strategy isn't working thanks to my inability, even while naked, to outrun the retaliatory tail swipe. I've heard getting the summons actually makes this fight harder since it increases his health.

I got cursed twice as well. I'm thinking you're buying Purging Stones from the female Undead merchant, right? They're pretty expensive at that part in the game and if you don't wanna spend lost undead souls now you're in a bad spot.

If you don't mind heading all the way back to Firelink, there's two ways to go about this.

1: Go to New Londo Ruins. Being Cursed means you can deal damage to the ghosts as well as block their attacks. Make your way until you reach a room where you can climb into the fireplace. That'll lead you to an NPC who can remove the Curse from you.

2: Take the elevator to Undead Parish and get to the rooftop where you fought the gargoyles. Buy the Purging Stones from Oswald there since his are only 3,000 souls and you should have that amount once you reach him from where you are.

To avoid getting cursed in the Depths, don't fall into the pits in the narrow tunnels. When you get to the room where you fight the giant rat, look at the edge of that room. If you slide down there, you'll fall into the same area where the basilisks are, but if you keep to the left of that slope when sliding down, you won't fall into the pit.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
If you're getting cursed on the runback to gaping, it seems like you missed both the unlockable shortcut back to the depths bonfire from the boss area, and also a shortcut in the level that skips the curse section completely.

If you're getting hit by the tail swipe, try backing off earlier. Just get in 3-4 hits. He also can't do it once the tail comes off which should happen when you get through about 1/3 of its life if you just attack the tail.

If you got invaded in the depths, what was the guy's name?

Oh, and be sure to update with impressions of later areas. Its probably half the reason people still come back and check this thread :)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

First, regarding curse - instead of just saving up the money to cure yourself, at the same time save up enough to buy several purging stones. Both Oswald and the Female Undead Merchant sell them, though I think Oswald is slightly cheaper, plus he's the one who cures Curse anyway so might as well do them both on one trip. It's worth taking the time now to grind up the necessary souls because it will save you long treks later.

Bear in mind also that once you've looted the area with the basilisks once, you should never go back down there again. You don't need to go anywhere near them to get to Gaping Dragon or the next area.

Anyway regarding the GD, the best strategy really is just to get him to bash onto the ground and charge then hit him in the back. You can also hit him in the head a couple times in between the bash and the charge itself. I'm not sure what you mean about not being fast enough to outrun the tail attack - try rolling to avoid that. You can also focus on the tail itself when you attack him after he's charged and cut it off which will make it easier to avoid the tail attack.

As long as you lock him into only doing those handful of moves, he's pretty easy. I had a really hard time with him at first until I figured that out.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm being a dick here but I can't believe you're struggling with the gaping demon even cursed. He's the easeiest boss in both Dark Souls games I've found. Just stand back wait for him to run into a wall then run in and hit him a couple of times then stand back.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I also had a lot problems with the Gaping Dragon. Probably the second most tries I needed in all the bosses in both games.
I think that was because he is the first boss that seriously punished getting greedy.
You can attack him from the side and be save from his tail, but he will punish you with his crawl attack if you take even one hit to many.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

animatorZed posted:

If you're getting cursed on the runback to gaping, it seems like you missed both the unlockable shortcut back to the depths bonfire from the boss area, and also a shortcut in the level that skips the curse section completely.

I found the unlockable door with the ladder. What's the other shortcut?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Doodmons posted:

Be grateful that curse doesn't stack 4 times now, and just buy Purging Stones from Ingward instead of paying to remove the curse. Along with the female Undead Merchant, I think Oswald sells them too. For Gaping Dragon, I found that mostly going around his lower sides is better, especially when he charges straight forward on the ground. When he's charging, hit his tail plenty of times, it'll be cut off and you should have an easier time going behind him since his tail won't hit you anymore.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Gaping Dragon has some side attacks that you'll rarely see. Last time I fought it I stayed on its right side for a bit too long and it has a grab attack where it drops you into its maw.

If you're going for the tail be careful of the tail swipes and aim closer for the tip than the base.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Jose posted:

I'm being a dick here but I can't believe you're struggling with the gaping demon even cursed. He's the easeiest boss in both Dark Souls games I've found. Just stand back wait for him to run into a wall then run in and hit him a couple of times then stand back.

Like most bosses in Dark Souls, he can be pretty tricky until you work out the safe way to handle him. In his case its to bait him into doing the big torso slam, at which point you can get some safe whacks onto his head, and then after he takes a few steps forward you can safely attack his butt.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

On the waterfall thing you slide down if you hug the far left you don't fall into the sewers where the basilisks are

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Doodmons posted:

This is literally what you have to do. By the time it thinks about tailswiping you should be long gone though!

Make sure your weapon is upgraded, and if you have a resin (or green herbs) you can use it to increase your DPS.

Also, you can cut its tail with some weapons, you just have to hit it a lot.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Suspicious Dish posted:

The slope at the edge of the giant rat room. Keep to the left when you slide and you never have to deal with the lizards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You might wanna upgrade your armor or increase your vitality for more health, too. You really shouldn't be dying in one hit.

• Locked thread