Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

It's really interesting that despite being one of the wordiest RPGs in history Golden Sun has absolutely zero characterization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wendell posted:

It's really interesting that despite being one of the wordiest RPGs in history Golden Sun has absolutely zero characterization.
Yeah. Trails in the sky is wordy as gently caress but at least the words have some spark to them, Golden Sun reminds me of an unabridged historical text translated from Chinese or something with how dryly it's written.

Bladesofskrm
Apr 30, 2014

GulagDolls posted:

dark dawn is funny just because of what it assumes of its fanbase.

game: would you like a tutorial on how to set djinn?
player: no
game: well, here is a two minute long tutorial on how to set djinn anyway, complete with pictures.

That's funny. I used to skip that tutorial phase of the game and played on. Somehow it's trying to give an amateur player guidance.
Can you guys recommend some good RPG games that you are playing lately?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Bladesofskrm posted:

That's funny. I used to skip that tutorial phase of the game and played on. Somehow it's trying to give an amateur player guidance.
Can you guys recommend some good RPG games that you are playing lately?

Final Fantasy 5 is a good one if you haven't tried it. The Four Job Fiesta event for it starts after this weekend.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Fuuuck how has Trails in the Sky for Steam been delayed until Winter?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Morpheus posted:

You would not believe how much of a pill that game has been to bring up to speed. Everyone involved was shocked by it.

I've also been a little slow on SC, but like I said elsewhere, even if I would waggle my fingers and finish everything tomorrow, there'd still be some technical hurdles and testing to overcome on FC alone, never mind SC.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Uh it hasn't? It's definitely been delayed, but according to XSeed it should be done this summer. The original announcement was for Winter though, you sure you didn't get a wire crossed somewhere?

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

SpaceDrake posted:

You would not believe how much of a pill that game has been to bring up to speed. Everyone involved was shocked by it.

I've also been a little slow on SC, but like I said elsewhere, even if I would waggle my fingers and finish everything tomorrow, there'd still be some technical hurdles and testing to overcome on FC alone, never mind SC.

I don't know much about the other Legend of Heroes games, but wasn't the Trails series originally released on PC and then ported to PSP? I'm legit wondering what the major blocking issue is when you have a stable, released PC game and a separate localization already completed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BloodWulfe posted:

I don't know much about the other Legend of Heroes games, but wasn't the Trails series originally released on PC and then ported to PSP? I'm legit wondering what the major blocking issue is when you have a stable, released PC game and a separate localization already completed.

A translation isn't usually as easy as "put English script in, hit button." A lot of weird or esoteric design decisions can make the simple act of including English text break a lot of poo poo. Even if the PSP version exists, that doesn't mean the PC version functions exactly the same way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, a lot of fantranslation projects have wound up completely stalled due to how rear end-backwards it can be to get stuff in, even ones that had completely translated and edited scripts. Obviously official translations have more support in that regard, but it can still be a pain and a half.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

A translation isn't usually as easy as "put English script in, hit button." A lot of weird or esoteric design decisions can make the simple act of including English text break a lot of poo poo. Even if the PSP version exists, that doesn't mean the PC version functions exactly the same way.

Yeah, I get that. Text control code alone will easily gently caress about with translation/localization and create huge overhead on a project. I'm confused because Xseed handled the NA PSP localization and they're doing the PC release too.

If they had handed it off to a different company ala Trails SC I would understand, but FC has been all in-house for them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Reminder that Ghostlight, in the supposedly simple act of changing the US English spellings into UK ones in Devil Survivor: Overclocked managed to introduce a game breaking bug that had to be patched out (eventually).

Ghostlight are poo poo though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
A game-breaking bug and numerous text bugs, also.

Ghostlight are super poo poo.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I seem to remember one game where the text code was somehow interlinked with the actual game code, so any changes in the text actually broke the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

And Ar Tonelico II crashes if a specific late-game boss lasts for longer than three turns, basically forcing you to overlevel. Translations can lead to some weird stuff.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Just picked up a PS2 and I got it hooked up with some component cables and optical out. Looking forward to playing some Persona 4 or Suikoden V tonight. Having trouble deciding.

That said, what are some fondly remember PS2 RPGs for everyone? I'm looking to collect a lot of JRPGs for the PS2.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Radiata Stories if you can grab a hold of it. It's pretty rare, but pretty good. Got a Suikoden-style 'fuckton of characters' thing going.

Also Dragon Quest 8 is far and away my favorite PS2 JRPG.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Shadow Hearts. All of them.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Endorph posted:

Radiata Stories if you can grab a hold of it. It's pretty rare, but pretty good. Got a Suikoden-style 'fuckton of characters' thing going.

Also Dragon Quest 8 is far and away my favorite PS2 JRPG.

I'll second DQ8. It's just one of the best games on the system.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

And Ar Tonelico II crashes if a specific late-game boss lasts for longer than three turns, basically forcing you to overlevel. Translations can lead to some weird stuff.

That one was kind of a weird case--it wasn't caused by any of the insertion code, but by a typo in the stuff they inserted. When special attacks are used, the game runs a bunch of stuff, including checking what font to display the attack's name in. There was a typo in the font lookup for the attack the boss always uses on turn three, so it tried to load a font that didn't exist, and crashed.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Out of all the games that I bought in the PS Store RPG flash sale, the one I've been playing so far has been Kingdoms of Amalur. For $5 it's not bad. Definitely a few problems, some of which probably could have been fixed had the company survived/cared long enough to do a patch. It feels like a more fun/customizable Fable, with an MMO influence as well.

Lord Banana
Nov 23, 2006

hubris.height posted:

Just picked up a PS2 and I got it hooked up with some component cables and optical out. Looking forward to playing some Persona 4 or Suikoden V tonight. Having trouble deciding.

That said, what are some fondly remember PS2 RPGs for everyone? I'm looking to collect a lot of JRPGs for the PS2.

Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 were a couple of my favourite ps2 rpgs. All the other PS2 Shin Megami games are pretty fun too!

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I never played DQ8, I'll have to pick that up. Everytime I started playing I would get to the world map, save, and walk away from it. Check for SMT / DDS, I own Nocturne and DDS1/2.

Shadow Hearts is one I have heard recommended before but I have heard so very little about it. I'm definitely gonna check it out. Thanks for the recommendations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

hubris.height posted:

I never played DQ8, I'll have to pick that up. Everytime I started playing I would get to the world map, save, and walk away from it. Check for SMT / DDS, I own Nocturne and DDS1/2.

Shadow Hearts is one I have heard recommended before but I have heard so very little about it. I'm definitely gonna check it out. Thanks for the recommendations.

The Atelier Iris games, most notably 2 are quite fun to play. They are a bit janky just due to the period they were released but they are pretty sprite-based games that revolve around crafting.

DQ8 was the game that I thought nailed "next-gen" RPG perfectly at the time. The world map is just so huge and the scale is perfect for exploration. My only complaint now is that the encounter rate can feel a bit high but I still pick it up and play it. I love the sense of discovery the game presents.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Levantine posted:

The Atelier Iris games, most notably 2 are quite fun to play. They are a bit janky just due to the period they were released but they are pretty sprite-based games that revolve around crafting.

DQ8 was the game that I thought nailed "next-gen" RPG perfectly at the time. The world map is just so huge and the scale is perfect for exploration. My only complaint now is that the encounter rate can feel a bit high but I still pick it up and play it. I love the sense of discovery the game presents.

Funny, because I had the opposite feeling about DQ8 and it's one of my biggest gripes about it. The world map is huge but it's also really empty. There's no real reason to explore since there's nothing there--just vast stretches of wilderness between towns. Maybe you'll find a treasure chest here and there but that's it. I honestly think the game would have been a lot better if they shrunk the maps significantly so there was less empty space.

It's still a really good game though, and one of the few PS2 RPGs I played to 100% completion.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

hubris.height posted:

Wild ARMs 3 was likely my favorite. It was superb in just about every way.

Another RPG that I enjoyed quite a lot is Mana-Khemia. It had a bit too much Japanese weirdness, and the pacing was atrocious -- it tried to gradually unlock its gameplay elements over the course of the game but did so too slowly, leaving you with a rather barebones RPG experience for half of the game -- but it was a ton of fun once it actually got going. It got a sequel which I never played; was it any good?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Genpei Turtle posted:

Funny, because I had the opposite feeling about DQ8 and it's one of my biggest gripes about it. The world map is huge but it's also really empty. There's no real reason to explore since there's nothing there--just vast stretches of wilderness between towns. Maybe you'll find a treasure chest here and there but that's it. I honestly think the game would have been a lot better if they shrunk the maps significantly so there was less empty space.

It's still a really good game though, and one of the few PS2 RPGs I played to 100% completion.

I can definitely see why you'd feel that way. I tend to enjoy games that let me explore for exploration's sake. I tend to get really immersed and just want to see what's over that hill or around that corner or whatever. There are relatively few treasure chests or special monsters to fight but for me the fun is in finding that out. It helped that the game is really very pretty so fighting my way to a cool vista felt worthwhile.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

cheetah7071 posted:

That one was kind of a weird case--it wasn't caused by any of the insertion code, but by a typo in the stuff they inserted. When special attacks are used, the game runs a bunch of stuff, including checking what font to display the attack's name in. There was a typo in the font lookup for the attack the boss always uses on turn three, so it tried to load a font that didn't exist, and crashed.

How does poo poo like this, not obscure at all, make it past QA?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dross posted:

Because the QA team they were using just pumped their stats up and killed her in either one or two turns and didn't encounter the bug. On the plus side, NISA shook up their QA standards after AT2.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Dross posted:

This is the same company that, in the same game, left an untranslated line that is scripted to appear anywhere between one and one hundred times in the script. NISA wasn't particularly good at the whole QA thing around that time.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Ah true, I remember being turned off initially by Disgaea 2 because its localization struck me as pretty unprofessional with typos and grammatical errors.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ImpAtom posted:

I followed the translation project for Mother 3 - I can't imagine how crazy it must be to have to hack the assembly code of a game boy advance game to put in the english text. At least they didn't run into any of the wacky stuff that these other games have had.

I'm definitely not berating the devs for it though, just lamenting the wait I must endure :(

As for the release date of this winter, I got that from Wikipedia, so I may be wrong in that regard but v:shobon:v

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Heavy neutrino posted:

Another RPG that I enjoyed quite a lot is Mana-Khemia. It had a bit too much Japanese weirdness, and the pacing was atrocious -- it tried to gradually unlock its gameplay elements over the course of the game but did so too slowly, leaving you with a rather barebones RPG experience for half of the game -- but it was a ton of fun once it actually got going. It got a sequel which I never played; was it any good?

The sequel was quite good, in my personal opinion. Neither game had a particularly stellar plot, and 2 lacks Flay being in your party (though he's still around in some capacity), but in exchange you get a bunch of really odd and fun party members. The 2 routes thing means that the plot feels kind of incomplete unless you feel like playing a fairly long JRPG twice though. Admittedly both routes are very very different, unlike say, Tales of Xillia.

It further refined the combat system that started all the way back in Atelier Iris, and stands as the last and most improved version of it. It's very very good and fun to play. It does have some weaknesses, such as both main leads being kinda assholes in their own ways and the fact that the Grow Book is no longer a sphere-grid-esque system and now more of a list of things, and they still kind of give you new mechanics fairly slowly, though they definitely upped the pace from MK1 which had you learning your super moves at like the last fifth of the game.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

hubris.height posted:

Xenosaga. :shobon:

If you enjoy real-time combat systems then I'd recommend Star Ocean 3 and Valkyrie Profile 2. They're both goofy tri-Ace games with solid gameplay, customization systems, and post-game content. Also both of them have great deranged characters whose VAs are constantly chewing the scenery.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Heavy neutrino posted:

Infinity Gaia posted:

The sequel was quite good, in my personal opinion. Neither game had a particularly stellar plot, and 2 lacks Flay being in your party (though he's still around in some capacity), but in exchange you get a bunch of really odd and fun party members. The 2 routes thing means that the plot feels kind of incomplete unless you feel like playing a fairly long JRPG twice though. Admittedly both routes are very very different, unlike say, Tales of Xillia.

It further refined the combat system that started all the way back in Atelier Iris, and stands as the last and most improved version of it. It's very very good and fun to play. It does have some weaknesses, such as both main leads being kinda assholes in their own ways and the fact that the Grow Book is no longer a sphere-grid-esque system and now more of a list of things, and they still kind of give you new mechanics fairly slowly, though they definitely upped the pace from MK1 which had you learning your super moves at like the last fifth of the game.

I'd say skip MK2 personally. Despite it having you do different things between each character routes with some of the chapters, you still have plenty where you do the exact same thing, and the only chapters where the two doing different things actually matters is the final couple of chapters. Then there's the fact that Raze's story is practically non-existant and that you don't get a full party until the post game super-dungeon, making you wonder why they decided to have dual protagonists in the first place.

I also remember the item crafting of MK2 being luck-luster compared to MK1's, but I don't exactly remember the details I why I felt that way. It was another NISA localization during it's low quality for non-NIS games that had a game-freeing bug, which is another strike against it. Finally, the cast is a pretty polarizing one, with most of them being a love-them or hate-them, from my experience. It really was kind of a lovely game all around.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

BloodWulfe posted:

Xenosaga. :shobon:

If you enjoy real-time combat systems then I'd recommend Star Ocean 3 and Valkyrie Profile 2. They're both goofy tri-Ace games with solid gameplay, customization systems, and post-game content. Also both of them have great deranged characters whose VAs are constantly chewing the scenery.

I wanted to like Xenosaga, and loved that they were being released and got really hyped back then. But Xenosaga II killed the whole idea to me. I never went past half-way into II and therefore never touched III. I own both SO3 and VP2, they're extraordinary games, and I had sold them before, and had to buy them again.

VP2 is such a great game in hindsight, a real under appreciated gem.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

hubris.height posted:

I never went past half-way into II and therefore never touched III.

This is kind of a shame. If you're able to sit back and laugh at the plot, then Xenosaga III is utterly brilliant - they removed all the slowness of II and made a fast and flashy battle system and a game purely based around an absolutely blithering plot and as many 'dumb but cool' ideas as they could fit in. Allan actually joins your party as a terrible level 5 scientist. A minigame is Chu-Chu Rocket but with lines of tiny Ziggys. It's great in a seriously stupid way.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

speaking of golden sun, has anyone tried this romhack on insanedifficulty? http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/files/file/33-golden-sun-fallen-star/

it seems like the changes might breathe some life into the game, maybe even make class changing necessary...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Unless it also removes half the reactionary dialogue, iunno if I could replay Golden Sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Speaking of translation issues, I was listening to a podcast with one of the people who translated Policenauts. Apparently that game was coded completely differently depending on what section of the game you were in, so it was a huge headache to get that job done.