Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Care to FedEx it out for the rest of us?

I see it as a fancy upper-case G, not a lower-case, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Dumb is what they were going for.

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012

Werner-Boogle posted:

Thanks guys. I'm gonna get a Slowbro I think. Works out fine since I don't think you can catch Staryu in Y.

If you want a regenerator Slowpoke just let me know, I can pop out an egg for ya.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009

Fureil posted:

If you want a regenerator Slowpoke just let me know, I can pop out an egg for ya.

I don't know what that means, but thanks for the offer. I've actually changed my mind and decided to go with Starmie instead since I think it's just a cooler 'mon. So I'm accepting donations of cool Staryus instead!

EDIT: Also, is there any wisdom to when I should evolve my Staryu? My intuition is to wait until like lvl.30 but I don't really have any reasoning behind it.

Werner-Boogle fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 15, 2014

FallinInTheBlak
Jan 20, 2013

Sarcastic. Sadistic. British.
:britain:
:wotwot:

Werner-Boogle posted:

I don't know what that means, but thanks for the offer. I've actually changed my mind and decided to go with Starmie instead since I think it's just a cooler 'mon. So I'm accepting donations of cool Staryus instead!

EDIT: Also, is there any wisdom to when I should evolve my Staryu? My intuition is to wait until like lvl.30 but I don't really have any reasoning behind it.

He was offering to breed a Slowpoke with the ability Regenerator for you.

You can evolve Staryu whenever and then tutor back Hydro Pump on Starmie because Starmie learns it at level 1. You can then TM on Ice Beam and Thunderbolt. If you have rapid spin keep it, if not tutor that back when you evolve it as well. Now you have yourself a standard OU Starmie ignoring natures IVs and EVs.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009

FallinInTheBlak posted:

He was offering to breed a Slowpoke with the ability Regenerator for you.

You can evolve Staryu whenever and then tutor back Hydro Pump on Starmie because Starmie learns it at level 1. You can then TM on Ice Beam and Thunderbolt. If you have rapid spin keep it, if not tutor that back when you evolve it as well. Now you have yourself a standard OU Starmie ignoring natures IVs and EVs.

Um, okay. Thanks. I don't have those TMs yet and don't really know what tutoring a Pokemon means, but I think I'm just gonna evolve it then. The reason I wanted a Starmie is because I'm gonna need someone who can surf, and I don't have any electric, ice, or psychic moves so I was gonna get those 4 move types.

I sorta faintly know about IV and EV but I'm saving that for when I beat the game and wanna do WiFi battling.

EDIT: What does OU mean?

Werner-Boogle fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jun 15, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Werner-Boogle posted:

Um, okay. Thanks. I don't have those TMs yet and don't really know what tutoring a Pokemon means, but I think I'm just gonna evolve it then. The reason I wanted a Starmie is because I'm gonna need someone who can surf, and I don't have any electric, ice, or psychic moves so I was gonna get those 4 move types.

I sorta faintly know about IV and EV but I'm saving that for when I beat the game and wanna do WiFi battling.

It means Overused. Pokemon Tiers are a little different in that they rank Pokemon based on how many people use them as opposed to actual viability. For the most part, OU Pokemon tend to be viable, but you end up with weird Pokemon that don't really fit sometimes, like Electivire in Gen IV.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

Pokemon Tiers are a little different in that they rank Pokemon based on how many people use them as opposed to actual viability.
The two are one and the same, at least until someone proposes a better metric.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

What are the odds of an Excadrill built for attack and speed surviving a Brave Bird from Talonflame?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Rangpur posted:

What are the odds of an Excadrill built for attack and speed surviving a Brave Bird from Talonflame?
Excadrill resists flying so I'd be surprised if it gets one-shot.

Edit: Yeah, looks like it'll deal around 50% damage. Keep in mind that Talonflame is way faster than Excadrill, so it'll probably use Flare Blitz instead, which will one-shot Excadrill.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 15, 2014

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Considering Excadrill has 88 Speed compared to Talonflame's 126, it probably won't outspeed and get OHKOed by Flare Blitz, especially if it comes in on Brave Bird on the switch. The only way this works is if Talonflame is choice locked and will use Brave Bird to deal as much damage as possible.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Crosspeice posted:

Considering Excadrill has 88 Speed compared to Talonflame's 126, it probably won't outspeed and get OHKOed by Flare Blitz, especially if it comes in on Brave Bird on the switch. The only way this works is if Talonflame is choice locked and will use Brave Bird to deal as much damage as possible.

Besides, a banded Brave Bird will probably 2HKO Excadrill if it switches into it first.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Rangpur posted:

Smogon's damage calculator is good for these things. Adamant Banded Talonflame has a 96% chance to 2HKO with Brave Bird.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Thanks for the input. I'm trying to make up my mind between a Mold Breaker with a Choice Scarf or Sand Rush+Life Orb. Or to put it another way, do I want it smacking around Rotom-W or Talonflame?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Werner-Boogle posted:

Surf, IceBeam Thunderbolt and Psychic is a good build for Starmie. It can also learn Dazzling Gleam if you want a Fairy move on your team.

When it comes to Pokemon that evolve using stones, they don't learn any new moves once you evolve them, so you can just check the base pokemon's move list and then evolve it once it's learned all the moves you need it to learn.

There are some NPC's called "tutors" who will teach your Pokemon certain moves. If a Pokemon forgets a move, they can go to the move relearner to get it back. If you check a pokemone's move list online and it says they learn some powerful moves at "start", then those moves can only be learned from the move relearner.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Nessa posted:

When it comes to Pokemon that evolve using stones, they don't learn any new moves once you evolve them

This is false. Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Vileplume, Bellossom, Arcanine, Poliwrath, Victreebel, Cloyster, Exeggutor, Starmie, Flareon, Jolteon, Vaporeon, Sunflora, Honchkrow, Shiftry, Gallade, Froslass, Whimsicott and Lilligant all have their own level-up moves.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Okay, well, they don't learn nearly as many moves afterwards.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

less laughter posted:

This is false. Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Vileplume, Bellossom, Arcanine, Poliwrath, Victreebel, Cloyster, Exeggutor, Starmie, Flareon, Jolteon, Vaporeon, Sunflora, Honchkrow, Shiftry, Gallade, Froslass, Whimsicott and Lilligant all have their own level-up moves.

To be fair, most of those moves they learn tend towards the useless. Though occasionally you have your Quiver Dances and the like.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

BearDrivingTruck posted:

To be fair, most of those moves they learn tend towards the useless. Though occasionally you have your Quiver Dances and the like.

Then you have Aegislash, that gets all the level up moves it would get on a lower form as level 1 moves.

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

It's what they were born for.
They serve no other purpose in life.
Keep doing what you're doing.

Rangpur posted:

Thanks for the input. I'm trying to make up my mind between a Mold Breaker with a Choice Scarf or Sand Rush+Life Orb. Or to put it another way, do I want it smacking around Rotom-W or Talonflame?

I find the former better as Rotom-W is ubiquitous and Mold Breaker EQ really messes it up. I'd use someone else against Talonflame (Rotom-W lol)

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Poison Mushroom posted:

Okay, well, they don't learn nearly as many moves afterwards.

That's also not a universal rule. Sunflora learns more moves than Sunkern does, for instance, and the same goes for others (or nearly the same amount, or fewer moves but better ones).

There simply aren't any universal rules for stone evos' move lists, and it's misleading to say there are.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

So I just found out that due to an oversight, Beheeyem in Gen VI can learn TM51 Steel Wing, which was Ally Switch in Gen V.

Man, what a horrible broken mess these games are, why do so many people like this series? :v:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Immer posted:

I find the former better as Rotom-W is ubiquitous and Mold Breaker EQ really messes it up. I'd use someone else against Talonflame (Rotom-W lol)
But he's soooo boringgggg

Can't I at least use Lanturn, or something?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Rotom-H?

:v:

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Rangpur posted:

I find Volt Absorb Lanturn with a healing move to be one of the most frustrating Pokemon to face 'cause I'm never ready for it.
edit: That's usually 'cause I forget that its water type doesn't cancel out its weakness to Ground, though...

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
I'll never understand the mindset that popular competitive pokemon are automatically boring. They're popular because they're good and therefore fun to use. I mean I guess using bad pokemon ans losing is fun if you're like a masochistic hipster but I lways end up thinking a pokemon is cooler when it consistently makes me win.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Maybe he just think Lanturn looks cooler. I mean I agree with your sentiment in general for multiplayer games, but you're kinda assuming here.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

Maybe he just think Lanturn looks cooler. I mean I agree with your sentiment in general for multiplayer games, but you're kinda assuming here.

I know, it's just a sentiment I see repeated a lot with people not wanting to use Talonflame and Rotom and poo poo because they're too standard or whatever. It's the same idea as people looking down on like Fox in Smash for dominating high-level play even though he's Fun and Cool if you know what you're doing.

And how is a fish less boring than a washing machine with a ghost in it? That poo poo's hilarious.

I am Reverend fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 15, 2014

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

I am Reverend posted:

I know, it's just a sentiment I see repeated a lot with people not wanting to use Talonflame and Rotom and poo poo because they're too standard or whatever. It's the same idea as people looking down on like Fox in Smash for dominating high-level play even though he's Fun and Cool if you know what you're doing.

And how is a fish less boring than a washing machine with a ghost in it? That poo poo's hilarious.

It's certainly interesting, but the fact that you see it all the time takes away the novelty. Even the most ridiculous idea starts to feel mundane when it shows up all the time. When you have over 700 amazing, colorful animals/objects with fantastic powers, it starts feel off that most are ignored. You don't even have to like those others, just be annoyed that you don't get a little more variety with such a large selection to choose from. It gets even worse when the creators notice this trend and over-market the already popular ones like Lucario or Charizard. You just kind of start to turn on the overused ones when it seems that they're such clear favorites that everything else gets overshadowed.

Of course, that just applies to personal tastes, not actual battle performance.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009
I posted earlier about wanting a Starmie on my team. I'm playing Y and I can't catch Staryu in this game, so can some kind goon hook me up with like a low level Staryu? I don't have anything good to trade for it since I'm just starting out, so you'd be doing it out of the kindness in your heart.

I'm gonna be playing for the next hour or so, so by all means post here if you wanna help! Also, I'm gonna need some help figuring out how to trade. I think I need some sort of friend ID or something? But I don't know where to find mine or enter other players.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I understand the metagame just fine, thanks. It's not exactly difficult. Look, I'm sure there's satisfaction in treating Pokemon like a puzzle where everyone is using the same 25 choices. Hell, why wouldn't they--people still play chess, too. But I enjoy the challenge of trying to overcome those teams with my personal picks. It makes things unpredictable, and I'd rather have one entertaining win than a 30 match streak with Kangaskhan, Garchomp, Talonflame, Greninja and Rotom-W. Sorry you have trouble understanding people enjoy the game differently, I guess. :shrug:

Also, playing Smash with no items-fox only-Final Destination makes you sterile. It is known.

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012

Werner-Boogle posted:

I posted earlier about wanting a Starmie on my team. I'm playing Y and I can't catch Staryu in this game, so can some kind goon hook me up with like a low level Staryu? I don't have anything good to trade for it since I'm just starting out, so you'd be doing it out of the kindness in your heart.

I'm gonna be playing for the next hour or so, so by all means post here if you wanna help! Also, I'm gonna need some help figuring out how to trade. I think I need some sort of friend ID or something? But I don't know where to find mine or enter other players.

I'll hook ya up with one. Your friend code is in the main screen on your 3ds. At the top there is a smiley face looking thing. In there you can find your Friend Code by clicking on the one with your name. Then to add me, hit the face with a + on it in the top right corner and add my Friend Code via Internet (2337-3830-3860). Then start your game and make sure you connect to the internet by clicking the blue circle on the lower screen. Make sure you post your friend code in here though so I can add you too, then we can trade.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009

Fureil posted:

I'll hook ya up with one. Your friend code is in the main screen on your 3ds. At the top there is a smiley face looking thing. In there you can find your Friend Code by clicking on the one with your name. Then to add me, hit the face with a + on it in the top right corner and add my Friend Code via Internet (2337-3830-3860). Then start your game and make sure you connect to the internet by clicking the blue circle on the lower screen. Make sure you post your friend code in here though so I can add you too, then we can trade.

Okay, cool! I added you, and mine is 2251-4821-9594. Hope you see this even though the forums are apparently dying so we can trade.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Rangpur posted:

Also, playing Smash with no items-fox only-Final Destination makes you sterile. It is known.

Joke's on you, I was never going to touch a woman anyway ;:^j

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012

Werner-Boogle posted:

Okay, cool! I added you, and mine is 2251-4821-9594. Hope you see this even though the forums are apparently dying so we can trade.

Adding you in a sec, you'll get an invite to trade from Anthony. Want a nickname or anything?

Fureil fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 15, 2014

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009

Fureil posted:

Adding you in a sec, you'll get an invite to trade from Anthony. Want a nickname or anything?

Cool! Can you call it Burt? Otherwise no nickname is fine.

EDIT: And recieved! Thanks so much dude!

Werner-Boogle fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 15, 2014

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Crosspeice posted:

So I just found out that due to an oversight, Beheeyem in Gen VI can learn TM51 Steel Wing, which was Ally Switch in Gen V.

Man, what a horrible broken mess these games are, why do so many people like this series? :v:

I'd like to imagine that Beheeyem continues to be able to learn that TM because it is TM Area51, which has a special connection to the aliens that Beheeyem represents. :v:

There's a number of cases where pokemon learn something that doesn't make much sense outside of a joke or reference.

Ziddar fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 15, 2014

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012

Werner-Boogle posted:

Cool! Can you call it Burt? Otherwise no nickname is fine.

EDIT: And recieved! Thanks so much dude!

No problem, with chain fishing it only took like 20 casts to get that one. Hope Burt serves you well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Ziddar posted:

I'd like to imagine that Beheeyem continues to be able to learn that TM because it is TM Area51, which has a special connection to the aliens that Beheeyem represents. :v:

There's a number of cases where pokemon learn something that doesn't make much sense outside of a joke or reference.

Anything else besides Fly on Golurk?

• Locked thread