Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Quick question. My ruler in Ireland died leaving his 6-year-old son as his heir. Do I still need to send him to be educated so that he'll develop stats and things or will having his mother as Regent be essentially the same thing as an education?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making
Balls, I think I shall try and find a way for him to kick the bucket then... Thanks for the info!

Chaotic Flame posted:

Quick question. My ruler in Ireland died leaving his 6-year-old son as his heir. Do I still need to send him to be educated so that he'll develop stats and things or will having his mother as Regent be essentially the same thing as an education?

I think you still need to get him educated. Thats what I do anyway!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Chaotic Flame posted:

Those are two separate things. I think they will still develop stats and traits with no education, but not as well as he would if he had a half decent tutor.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Pogue_Mahone posted:

Balls, I think I shall try and find a way for him to kick the bucket then... Thanks for the info!

His claim on Scotland will most likely die with him. Remember that most problems in CK2 can be solved by stabbing.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Torrannor posted:

His claim on Scotland will most likely die with him. Remember that most problems in CK2 can be solved by stabbing.

He's already pressed the claim in a war though, so it likely will be inherited.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

marktheando posted:

Those are two separate things. I think they will still develop stats and traits with no education, but not as well as he would if he had a half decent tutor.

Since I'm playing as my heir though, assigning his mother as his tutor won't give me the popups (events?) to decide on traits, right? I guess I'll start looking for a tutor with good stats.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Chaotic Flame posted:

Since I'm playing as my heir though, assigning his mother as his tutor won't give me the popups (events?) to decide on traits, right? I guess I'll start looking for a tutor with good stats.

You will get the education events from the child's POV. So yeah get a tutor with good stats/traits.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I didn't really pay much attention when the "Rise of the Shia" event fired in my Brunswick/Germany game, but man did the shia rise in a big way.

:staredog:

Thats in the year 951 and its a good 20k men more than the next largest army (the Ummayids in Spain) and about 30k more than the Abbasids.

Good thing I'm in northern europe.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

MrBling posted:

I didn't really pay much attention when the "Rise of the Shia" event fired in my Brunswick/Germany game, but man did the shia rise in a big way.

:staredog:

Thats in the year 951 and its a good 20k men more than the next largest army (the Ummayids in Spain) and about 30k more than the Abbasids.

Good thing I'm in northern europe.

I had them spawn with 1.2million troops (4x all my levies/retinues) in one of my kingdoms in around 1350, not very nice.

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making

Torrannor posted:

He became the King of Scotland, but as soon as that happened I declared war on him with my CB for the counties he took from my kingdom. I kicked his arse. Now Scotland is going pretty badly, they keep getting revolts, so hoping to poach a few of the counties for myself until I can usurp the title for the kingdom! Hurrah. I am learning to not give up on games when I think it may be going awry. Always some intrigue to keep the game going.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Pogue_Mahone posted:

He became the King of Scotland, but as soon as that happened I declared war on him with my CB for the counties he took from my kingdom. I kicked his arse. Now Scotland is going pretty badly, they keep getting revolts, so hoping to poach a few of the counties for myself until I can usurp the title for the kingdom! Hurrah. I am learning to not give up on games when I think it may be going awry. Always some intrigue to keep the game going.

If you haven't been playing CK2 for a long while, note that they change usurping quite a bit. You cannot usurp a title if the title holder still holds at least one de jure county of the title. So you can only revoke Scotland once the Scottish king holds no county of de jure Scotland any more.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Torrannor posted:

If you haven't been playing CK2 for a long while, note that they change usurping quite a bit. You cannot usurp a title if the title holder still holds at least one de jure county of the title. So you can only revoke Scotland once the Scottish king holds no county of de jure Scotland any more.

This is only the case if you're trying to usurp a title held by somebody of another religion.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Shadeoses posted:

Has anyone seen the AI expand into/out of India? For whatever reason the border along Persia seems pretty stable.

In my ongoing "The Ivarings go Welsh and take over all of Europe with longbow retinues" game the Prathihara empire has expanded quite far into Persia, even though the Saffarids and the Seljuks still control a lot of territory in the de jure empire.

On a related note, is there a religious requirement to holding the Byzantine Empire? I kind of want to do what some people suggested and switch to the Byzantine Empire so I can recreate the Roman Empire, but on the other hand my Empire of Prydain is just looking so nice at the moment.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Ratpick posted:

In my ongoing "The Ivarings go Welsh and take over all of Europe with longbow retinues" game the Prathihara empire has expanded quite far into Persia, even though the Saffarids and the Seljuks still control a lot of territory in the de jure empire.

On a related note, is there a religious requirement to holding the Byzantine Empire? I kind of want to do what some people suggested and switch to the Byzantine Empire so I can recreate the Roman Empire, but on the other hand my Empire of Prydain is just looking so nice at the moment.

You must be Orthodox to create the Byzantine Empire and Christian to restore the Roman Empire. However, any religion can usurp the Byzantine/Roman Empire if it's been created.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Civilized Fishbot posted:

You must be Orthodox to create the Byzantine Empire and Christian to restore the Roman Empire. However, any religion can usurp the Byzantine/Roman Empire if it's been created.

Alright, so I can just usurp it as Norse provided the current holder of the title (a Christian) doesn't hold any land within it, and then convert to Christianity in order to restore the Roman Empire? Sounds easy enough, might as well do it then.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Ratpick posted:

Alright, so I can just usurp it as Norse provided the current holder of the title (a Christian) doesn't hold any land within it, and then convert to Christianity in order to restore the Roman Empire? Sounds easy enough, might as well do it then.

It does sound easy enough, but often the Byzantines don't have land outside the de jure empire, especially if you've whooped them down enough to usurp. Also remember Christian could mean orthodox or any heresy of orthodoxy/Catholicism.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.
In my current game, King Francesco of Africa is the luckiest man alive.

See, I'm rolling around painting the map a nice shade of Andalusian green as the Falkyir when I decide to turn my attention towards Italy around 963. This is improtant becuase in 960, the gentleman above, King Francesco of Africa, was also the king of Italy and turned Cathar. A year later, his firstborn, Prince Amonse, deposes him from the throne of Italy.

Francesco flees to Tunisia and licks his wounds, probably bitter about the whole deal.

Then I suck up Lombardy in a holy war. Truce is set, I turn and go punch some Germans around for duchies while I wait for the truce to end. But the freshly minted King of Italy decides hes the new DEFENDER OF THE FAITH and joins the defense for a single county. He rolls up behind me while I'm burning down Koln and I drop my army on him. I'm playing with HIP and the duel event fires.

My foe is Amonse, King of Italy. He had a pitiful diplomatic education and 4 in martial vs my Strong Brave Viking Berserker with Brilliant Strategist.

It's pretty obvious by this point that he died there.

That frees up Italy for another Holy War so I go mulch another duchy off them. And realize the next guy has no intrigue. So I throw him off a cliff. Then the next guy gets blown up. And so on and so on until my body count is 15 kings, including one I sacrificed at a blot, and one kingdom of Italy reduced to 3 counties scattered between the German kingdoms.

This whole time, Old Francesco of Africa is still kicking, probably laughing and thanking his dead god that he got deposed when he did. :v:

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Tsyni posted:

It does sound easy enough, but often the Byzantines don't have land outside the de jure empire, especially if you've whooped them down enough to usurp. Also remember Christian could mean orthodox or any heresy of orthodoxy/Catholicism.

Yeah, I've already been able to beat back the Byzantines pretty well via Holy Warring and then stabbing the current Basileos to get rid of the truce. Currently they only hold land in Georgia, although they still have a few vassals in Anatolia, Greece and Bulgaria. I used my last Great Holy War to get Italy and I'm not sure when the timer is going to reset, so I might as well keep doing what I'm doing at the moment to finish them off.

Also, while this was going on, I managed to press a claim I had on Cumania for some strange reason, meaning that my Empire is kind of all over the place at the moment.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Best way to claim the Byzantine empire is to marry a daughter of the basilious and press your sons claim once your him.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Rumda posted:

Best way to claim the Byzantine empire is to marry a daughter of the basilious and press your sons claim once your him.

But as a Norse you will have to get lucky with your raids to take the emperor's daughter as a concubine, because you won't be able to marry her normally.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Torrannor posted:

But as a Norse you will have to get lucky with your raids to take the emperor's daughter as a concubine, because you won't be able to marry her normally.

You should be raiding Constantinople constantly any way the odds don't matter when you constantly kicking down her door.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
drat those new usurp title mechanics. I had the whole kingdom of Jerusalem except one de-jure province. So I used conquest CB on it and won. I though I would get the title, but I didnt. Instead, it seems like it is gone :(

I suppose its impossible to recreate it as a muslin, right?

EDIT: oh Allah, it seems like my current ruler can only father daughters. It has been 5 in a row now (from 3 different wives), no sons yet. What can I do??

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 15, 2014

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Anyone know if the new beta is HIP-compatible? I'm guessing no but I figured I should ask since 6 month autosaves on my ironman game would be a godsend.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Elias_Maluco posted:

drat those new usurp title mechanics. I had the whole kingdom of Jerusalem except one de-jure province. So I used conquest CB on it and won. I though I would get the title, but I didnt. Instead, it seems like it is gone :(

EDIT: oh Allah, it seems like my current ruler can only father daughters. It has been 5 in a row now (from 3 different wives), no sons yet. What can I do??

You need to be Christian to form Jerusalem (or Jewish, obvs.)

Only thing you can do is set the "have a boy" ambition for increased fertility and then hope for the best.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Elias_Maluco posted:

As the poster above me said, you need to be Christian or Jewish to do anything with the kingdom of Jerusalem. And I'm not sure but I think you also cannot usurp it as well.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

It's nice having your sister married to the King of England when you decide enough is enough and the entirety of Ireland should be yours. So, what if the enemy has 5 available alliances. The King of England's got my back!

Also, during the conquest of Ireland I had a bastard son between wives and then a trueborn son a year later after having five daughters. It's a good time to be Alcuin, First of his name, and King of Ireland.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Who is closest to Attila the Hun in the 867 start? Any descendants or land owners of the same culture as him?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Who is closest to Attila the Hun in the 867 start? Any descendants or land owners of the same culture as him?

Magyars. They don't count as Altaic culture, but they're an Altaic tribe, and they get a ton of event troops for kickstarting a massive Tartar invasion.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Ugh, I really should've waited to secure all the Duchies necessary to create the Roman Empire before usurping the Byzantine Empire and converting to Orthodox. Now I'm stuck with a faith that is at 0% MA and already had my first heretic rebellion. Oh well, at least I'm only missing Alexandria, Tunisia and Antioch, and I control almost all of Antioch already, so shouldn't be too difficult.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Do I lose any of the cool Norse abilities if I reform the faith? Like can I still raid people and send boats down rivers, and use conquest casus belli?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Parallax Scroll posted:

Do I lose any of the cool Norse abilities if I reform the faith? Like can I still raid people and send boats down rivers, and use conquest casus belli?

Unless you're playing with a mod you shouldn't lose anything (maybe the conquest CB, I'm not 100% sure on this one) and even gain the ability to call Norse crusades.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The major thing you lose is the bonus to retinues and the fact that you don't get a vassal levies raised penalty.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

nutranurse posted:

Unless you're playing with a mod you shouldn't lose anything (maybe the conquest CB, I'm not 100% sure on this one) and even gain the ability to call Norse crusades.

You lose defensive attrition but other than that I don't think there's anything. The ability to sail in rivers seems to go away over time regardless of whether or not you reform for some reason.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

nutranurse posted:

Nice. I figured I wasn't going to be able to reform the faith since I started way over at Kiev with King Dyre, but I managed to subjugate Denmark, which had already conquered 60% of Norway and held all of that under the Danish crown. After vassalizing the rest of Norway I'm at 2 holy sites already. Getting a third in Dyre's lifetime should be a cinch.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You lose defensive attrition but other than that I don't think there's anything. The ability to sail in rivers seems to go away over time regardless of whether or not you reform for some reason.

I'm pretty sure river movement is blocked by forts.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Muslim rulers are a tough fight and they seem to be more likely to join on the defenders side in a holy war than the Christian rulers are. Is there any special way I as a Jewish ruler can manipulate decadence so they have revolts? Also it'd be nice if there was an intrigue option for me to make it look like another ruler did something. For example if I could frame the king of Georgia for trying to assassinate the Byzantine Emperor.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

nutranurse posted:

You lose: Subjugation. (Probably aren't many other pagans left once you reform the religion anyway.)

You gain: The regular Holy War CB and Great Holy Wars (unless you lose the Fylkir title somehow).

You keep: County Conquest.

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You gradually lose the ability to travel rivers as the provinces adjacent to them have their holdings upgraded by the owners. This is supposed to represent your victims gradually building fortified bridges and the like to keep Vikings from sailing up the rivers unopposed. Gameplay wise It's also so that non-Viking players are able stop them eventually.

If you control the provinces next to the river you can still sail up them though, even if they're fortified.

Talky fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 15, 2014

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Darth Various posted:

You lose: Subjugation. (Probably aren't many other pagans left once you reform the religion anyway.)

Yeah, losing subjugation is not that much of a blow once you reform as the pagans you used to subjugate are now heretics you can holy war to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

In my current game, King Francesco of Africa is the luckiest man alive.

See, I'm rolling around painting the map a nice shade of Andalusian green as the Falkyir when I decide to turn my attention towards Italy around 963. This is improtant becuase in 960, the gentleman above, King Francesco of Africa, was also the king of Italy and turned Cathar. A year later, his firstborn, Prince Amonse, deposes him from the throne of Italy.

Francesco flees to Tunisia and licks his wounds, probably bitter about the whole deal.

Then I suck up Lombardy in a holy war. Truce is set, I turn and go punch some Germans around for duchies while I wait for the truce to end. But the freshly minted King of Italy decides hes the new DEFENDER OF THE FAITH and joins the defense for a single county. He rolls up behind me while I'm burning down Koln and I drop my army on him. I'm playing with HIP and the duel event fires.

My foe is Amonse, King of Italy. He had a pitiful diplomatic education and 4 in martial vs my Strong Brave Viking Berserker with Brilliant Strategist.

It's pretty obvious by this point that he died there.

That frees up Italy for another Holy War so I go mulch another duchy off them. And realize the next guy has no intrigue. So I throw him off a cliff. Then the next guy gets blown up. And so on and so on until my body count is 15 kings, including one I sacrificed at a blot, and one kingdom of Italy reduced to 3 counties scattered between the German kingdoms.

This whole time, Old Francesco of Africa is still kicking, probably laughing and thanking his dead god that he got deposed when he did. :v:

It must be something to do with Italy. I'm coming to the end of my Jewish Khazar super-empire game and around 1240 I started pushing hard into Italy. I smashed the King, killed him, and took a province off his child daughter. However, the daughter died sickly before the war ended and the throne passed to the old king's sister, Agnes, who had been married to some noble in Toulouse. This meant I had a ten year truce with Queen Agnes, and as there were Italian revolts and the last of the Asturians to mop up and chunks to carve off the Byzantines and HRE, I had no particular need to stab her.

Agnes went on to be the last Queen of Italy. She reigned for 47 years and earned the title "the Great". She died a few days before I took the last county I needed to usurp her crown, aged 80 and with the ambition to improve her Martial score.

• Locked thread