Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
I must be missing something in the PC version. How do you change the interface to that one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Stopped by SS Billiards today and the Big Bang Bar was on. Only played a single game, but liked it a fair amount. Absolutely no idea what I was doing, but whatever. For a buck a game I didn't really feel like trying to find out.

Crappy cell phone pics ahoy!

An awful attempt at taking a picture of the dancer girl.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm surprised they dare having a BBB on location considering the rarity and value of the machines.

I personally enjoy the game, it's a pity the rules never got finished.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The website says they only bring it out for special events. Is it one of the reproductions or an original? Even the repros sell for $20,000.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I feel dumb. I asked the owner about it a previous time that I was there when it wasn't on, and I can't remember if he said it was a repro (I assume) or one of the stupidly rare originals.

Edit - didn't realize the repros had their own IPDB page. The one at SS Billiards is actually an original. No numbered plaque near the flipper, anyway. And the photos on the original's IPDB entry are from SS Billiards itself.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 15, 2014

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

What happened? why is it so rare?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Squashy Nipples posted:

What happened? why is it so rare?

There's a pretty good rundown of the story here: http://www.flippers.be/pinball/capcom/bigbangbar/bigbangbar.html

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Ben Heck is selling his Bill Paxton Pinball machine if anyone's interested.

http://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/13079

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Luigi Thirty posted:

The website says they only bring it out for special events. Is it one of the reproductions or an original? Even the repros sell for $20,000.

It's out everytime I've been there, and turned off once in a while. I don't even think the guy that runs SS owns it, a lot of his games are loaned by other people.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

MarxCarl posted:

Ben Heck is selling his Bill Paxton Pinball machine if anyone's interested.

http://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/13079

I had no idea Ben Heck made that. I always figured it was something Bill commissioned for himself. :v:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

roffels posted:

It's out everytime I've been there, and turned off once in a while. I don't even think the guy that runs SS owns it, a lot of his games are loaned by other people.

He doesn't own it - that much I know for sure.

Note to Roffels - he mentioned a private pinball circus of sorts for donators to the renovation - Sunday July 27th. I assume he has a way of contacting everyone.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Zen just announced that a Deadpool single table will be dropping next week. I've always enjoyed their Marvel tables, so I might give this one a shot.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Tony Phillips posted:

He doesn't own it - that much I know for sure.

Note to Roffels - he mentioned a private pinball circus of sorts for donators to the renovation - Sunday July 27th. I assume he has a way of contacting everyone.

I might make it. I only donated 5-10 bucks or some other little amount though. Honestly, I'm just looking forward to the place being cleaned up, and if we're lucky, a little money put in to fix up the machines he has there.

Sidenote, being known as the pinball guy at work has lead me to a free machine, Bally's Mystic. I haven't picked it up yet, but I'm imagining a worst case scenario, because I'm told the key to the backbox is missing and the game doesn't work. Still, free pinball!

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Steam sale, and TPA packs are actually on sale.

Season One packs 25% off at $22.50 / $30
Season Two packs 10% off at $27 / $36

And it looks like all FX2 tables are 50% off right now as well.

There's always the chance that these could end up as daily deals, meaning you shouldn't buy them yet, but who knows. If you've been waiting to pick any of them up - wait till the end of the sale and go nuts.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Last sale had every Pinball FX table except the newest one at the time (Dr Strange?) going down to 75% off as a Flash sale, so DON'T FLIP

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Lone Goat posted:

Last sale had every Pinball FX table except the newest one at the time (Dr Strange?) going down to 75% off as a Flash sale, so DON'T FLIP

GO FOR THE WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALL

Sloane
Oct 31, 2010

What do you mean I'm not on the list?

Pinball Arcade posted:

Hey Everyone! Steam Summer Sale is on and Pinball Arcade is offering some sweet discounts! 25% off Season One and 10% off Season Two!!!

We are also offering the Launch Pack including Ripley's Believe it or Not!®, Theatre of Magic™, and Black Hole™ for only 1¢ within the game!
Good time to get your friends to try TPA!

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
#1 Cue Ball Wizard :toot:

Pretty happy about that. Also super happy that they a) fixed friend leaderboards on steam and b) looks like leaderboards no longer crash the game at least as often when browsing. Time to start grinding out since they finally got that poo poo sorted.

e: Actually forgot to bitch about something that really bugs me so going to do that as well. I had to cut off my CBW run short because there's no way of knowing whether a certain table records scores past an overflow. I learned my lessons after the hours and hours of grinding 15B or whatever on Tee'd Off and not getting the score registered. I mean ideally I guess I shouldn't care since I know my score, but I do like to have some friends list competition in the game and tables randomly not scoring properly kind of ruins that.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 21, 2014

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Nurge posted:

e: Actually forgot to bitch about something that really bugs me so going to do that as well. I had to cut off my CBW run short because there's no way of knowing whether a certain table records scores past an overflow. I learned my lessons after the hours and hours of grinding 15B or whatever on Tee'd Off and not getting the score registered. I mean ideally I guess I shouldn't care since I know my score, but I do like to have some friends list competition in the game and tables randomly not scoring properly kind of ruins that.

And of course, some of them do record it when you roll the score. It's dumb.

Wait. It's dumber. I've rolled some, and had my real score register on the overall leaderboards, but not on my local high scores list. Maximum Farsight.

Edit - and congrats on #1 cueball. Multiple 500 million shots I assume?

Nurge posted:

Not as many as I was expecting. Maybe five or six total. The table is really repetitive, but it does have scoring avenues beyond just that shot, which is pretty cool.

Yeah - it's a big shot, but not like the billion point shot on Bride of Pinbot. Last I checked, my score was in the 50s on the boards and I only collected it once - making up around a quarter of my points. Underrated table, I think. Repetitive, but at least entertaining for a Gottlieb.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 21, 2014

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tony Phillips posted:

And of course, some of them do record it when you roll the score. It's dumb.

Wait. It's dumber. I've rolled some, and had my real score register on the overall leaderboards, but not on my local high scores list. Maximum Farsight.

Edit - and congrats on #1 cueball. Multiple 500 million shots I assume?

Not as many as I was expecting. Maybe five or six total. The table is really repetitive, but it does have scoring avenues beyond just that shot, which is pretty cool.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

You sure need that ramp shot. :clint:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Southern-Fried Gaming Expo finals from Atlanta.

http://www.twitch.tv/papatvpinball

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Sloane posted:

Does that 1 cent come out of your Steam wallet?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Found a well maintained Premier Nightmare from Elm Street in a pizza place in Michigan. I have no idea what the rules of that table are. Seemed to do everything by itself. I got the #2 high score and 3 free games but I have no idea how. So it's a Premier.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

iastudent posted:

Southern-Fried Gaming Expo finals from Atlanta.

http://www.twitch.tv/papatvpinball

Spent my entire day at this event yesterday, it was tons of fun. I'm pretty new to the pinball hobby, but it was really cool to see a lot of the really popular machines in person. Even got to play that Big Bang Bar game you guys were talking about earlier. Pinball Arcade made me complacent, the real thing is MUCH harder. There were tons of people, so I hope they have another expo next year.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Call Me Charlie posted:

Does that 1 cent come out of your Steam wallet?
Yes.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Sloane posted:

I got suckered in by this. Now I want more tables but even on sale this stuff is kinda pricy. Really hope there's a flash sale or something for one or more of the seasons. The T2 demo was fukken rad, but I hit the scoring limit for it way too quick.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Darke GBF posted:

I got suckered in by this. Now I want more tables but even on sale this stuff is kinda pricy. Really hope there's a flash sale or something for one or more of the seasons. The T2 demo was fukken rad, but I hit the scoring limit for it way too quick.

Chances are there are some pretty strict limits on how high they can discount due to the licensing royalties malarkey they have going on with various companies. Still, if you're looking at buying tables it's worth waiting till the last day of the sale just in case, as always.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Small progress update on the virtual cab.

Front buttons mounted and you can see under the rear legs the furniture mover rollers I picked up cheap at Harbor Freight so I can move it around a little easier.

Close up, Start/Extra Ball/Extra buttons counter sunk. Decided not to move my digital plunger over and just going with Launch Ball button.

Back box brackets installed and flipper buttons installed. They will have an RGB LED board attached to the flippers so they can change colors and whatnot depending on the table.

Close up of the flipper with RGB board which is sitting on the shelf I put in the back that will eventually hold the computer and slides out the back of the cab through an access panel.

Trying to score a coin door off of ebay so I can get that put in. Next parts to order are probably cooling fans since that's about the last stuff I need to cut out of the actual cab.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Man that looks really really amazing.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Wait, what is that last picture of? I see a leaf switch, and a standard arcade button for some reason, but how does it all go together?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

I picked up a free table, Bally's Mystic, from 1980. The good: Immaculate mirrored backglass and a playfield in pretty drat good shape, protected by Mylar.

The bad: It doesn't do much besides power on the lights and right now, it had rotting rubber, the leg levelers are rusted in place and really short, and it has a broken drop target.

I'm excited to get it going though. The boards inside look good, though I saw a busted diode leg on the MPU. I'm hoping the main problem is the power rectifier, and that reconditioning that might bring this back to life (there were a few fuses blown - there and under the playfield for the solenoids) I'm hopeful that it will take less than 100 bucks and a few hours of time go get it going.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Deadpool came out for FX2 today and I've been playing it a bit this evening. It has two upper flippers and a behind-the-flipper shot for each one, which got me wondering, was there a behind-the-flipper shot on any pin before (RL, not Zen) Spiderman, or was that the first one?

Hurf durf, Twilight Zone! A little bit different but close enough. Any before that one?

breaks fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jun 26, 2014

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

breaks posted:

Deadpool came out for FX2 today and I've been playing it a bit this evening. It has two upper flippers and a behind-the-flipper shot for each one, which got me wondering, was there a behind-the-flipper shot on any pin before (RL, not Zen) Spiderman, or was that the first one?

Hurf durf, Twilight Zone! A little bit different but close enough. Any before that one?

Technically the TZ one probably doesn't even count because the shot is doable without raising the flipper. It just makes it a lot easier. I can't think of other old ones offhand, but I'm pretty far from being an expert on table mechanics.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
I recently got really interested in pinball and I've been playing a lot of Pinball Arcade, I've been wanting to play real machines for a while but I live in a shithole where pinball machines never existed

:negative:

Anyone have tips for Big Shot? I just can't seem to be able to keep control of the ball after any shots and the ball likes to go out the left outlane at the speed of loving light.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Highblood posted:

I recently got really interested in pinball and I've been playing a lot of Pinball Arcade, I've been wanting to play real machines for a while but I live in a shithole where pinball machines never existed

:negative:

Anyone have tips for Big Shot? I just can't seem to be able to keep control of the ball after any shots and the ball likes to go out the left outlane at the speed of loving light.

Big Shot is sort of interesting as a table since you can't really guarantee safety ever, and also the reason why it's probably my favourite table in the entire game. My best advice is to play a lot and learn which things you hit lead to which trajectories generally speaking, and prepare to nudge a lot if it's a risky shot.

Practically speaking hitting the lower 8 whenever you can is useful since it opens up the right outlane saver, but it's only easily doable when certain targets on the right bank are still up. Also getting control of the ball between shots whenever possible is very useful since it keeps the speed down at least somewhat so you may have enough time to react. Also, only concentrate on the left or the right bank when playing till you get the first bonus collect/extra ball per ball. When you've finished a rack and go for the collect/extra ball target backhanding the target is usually a fair amount safer, although it can be slightly easier to hit from the forehand.

Lastly, learn to lean on the nudge a lot, you'll really need it on the table. The most important thing to nudge on the table usually is making sure the ball never hits the outside top of the slingshot. That's pretty much guaranteed drain and you have to react to a trajectory there pretty early to get the ball to move in time.

Also, high five pinball lacking country dude.

e: #1 Junkyard :toot:

Nurge fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jun 26, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Saw this news article; thought of this thread.

Oakland to decriminalize pinball

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

Saw this news article; thought of this thread.

Oakland to decriminalize pinball

Great, now the devil machines are going to corrupt our youth again.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Found a well maintained Premier Nightmare from Elm Street in a pizza place in Michigan. I have no idea what the rules of that table are. Seemed to do everything by itself. I got the #2 high score and 3 free games but I have no idea how. So it's a Premier.

I played this a ton as a kid. I never really knew the rules either, but it was incredibly easy to get free credits, which is probably why I played it a ton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I bought the one cent bundle for Pinball Arcade, it's been pretty enjoyable but I've been really wanting to play some of the tables from Season 1. Is it worth getting? I kind of get the feeling that it won't go any lower, but I'll still wait until the last day; though it's probably already a miracle that farsight bothered to discount any of their stuff.

Ryuga Death fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jun 26, 2014