Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Brand new Bang & Olufsen H6's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

z06ck posted:

How old are these cans?

Lots of noise-canceling, or travel-oriented headphones still throw one in.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Website is down for them, expected.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

terre packet posted:

The headphones I bought today came with this thing, what the heck is it?

While it is true that these are for airlines, it's not just old planes that have them. I fly long haul (intercontinental) too much these days and the majority of planes I have been on, even newer ones, have this connector. Woe unto he stuck on a 15 hour flight without an adapter wanting to use anything other than the ten-for-a-dollar headsets the plane hands out to passengers (or worse charges $2-$6 for the privilege of using).

That being said, if you have good headphones you care about, do not plug them directly into the armrest even with an adapter. The output impedance of these jacks can be very high, and airplane power systems driving these electronics can have problems that damage headphones. I run through an amp to make sure that the amp takes the brunt of any problem and also can give me a clean, lower volume signal for my IEMs.

It's pretty funny though, I have gotten some great sound for movies on planes with the newer digital personal seat entertainment systems and my little portable amp. Picture quality isn't always great, but the sound can be very good.

nadav
Sep 6, 2005
My last name is actually something very jewish. Like Leibovitz, only longer. And more jewish.
I do most of my listening in an open plan office. Currently using the Shure SE215-K but considering an upgrade. Would closed supra aural cans give me better sound for the money?

Budget - $200-300
Source - MacBook Pro, iPhone
Isolation Requirements - Yes. Don't want to annoy coworkers.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Supra-aural or IEMs
Past Headphones - Shure SE215-K, Sennheiser HD555
Preferred Music - Jazz

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Pistons arrived today. They are legit and the seller on Amazon "Boat2014" is legit as well.

They sound great and the controls actually work 100% with Android. Perfect for $25, and yes the cord wrap thing smells like chocolate.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

hotsauce posted:

Pistons arrived today. They are legit and the seller on Amazon "Boat2014" is legit as well.

They sound great and the controls actually work 100% with Android. Perfect for $25, and yes the cord wrap thing smells like chocolate.

Got a link to the listing you bought from?

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Is there any kind of compilation or summary of bone conduction headphones available?

They sound like they would be great for hiking because you can still hear everything around you as regular as without them but still get to enjoy some additional music, etc.

When I looked a few up years ago people disliked them because they would only fit certain shaped heads and were quite audible to nearby people, is that still the case?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

grack posted:

Got a link to the listing you bought from?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HUNUOJW/

But it looks like the seller "boat2014" is no longer listed.

Edit. Holy poo poo these things sound amazing. If you can find real ones for $25, it will be the best $25 you've ever spent! Double tapping the track button advances to the next song. Single tap pauses.Triple tap goes back a track. They work beautifully with Android - finally! And the buttons don't work with the iPhone. :smuggo:

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 15, 2014

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Xiao...02799013&sr=1-1

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Nice. Mine were shipped prime and delivered in 40 hrs (on a Saturday no less). Good to see they are selling them again but shipping may be slow.

Get them.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

hotsauce posted:

Nice. Mine were shipped prime and delivered in 40 hrs (on a Saturday no less). Good to see they are selling them again but shipping may be slow.

Get them.
Those are actually good headphones?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Those are actually good headphones?

For ~$25? Yep. They aren't the best ever, but for the price they sound like IEMs in the $200 range. No bullshit.

I'm no audiophile but once upon a time I owned some $400 Shure IEMs. These handily beat them, IMO and the controls and mic are icing (if you use Android).

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Are there any general opinions/rules of thumb about what brands have the best build quality? (other than "Bose/Beats/Monster/Skullcandy suck") Specifically of the under-$100, over-ear type. That's pretty much the main reason I'm tired of cheap headphones, they're cheap and they wear apart and break and it sucks.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I'm looking at 8-10 hours and roughly 500 miles in a few days on a motorcycle. I definitely don't want to listen to muffled wind noise and my own thoughts for that long.

Are there any decent NRR rated earbuds for under $50? Sound quality is secondary to the NRR. Want to shoot for at least 29.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

XboxPants posted:

Are there any general opinions/rules of thumb about what brands have the best build quality? (other than "Bose/Beats/Monster/Skullcandy suck") Specifically of the under-$100, over-ear type. That's pretty much the main reason I'm tired of cheap headphones, they're cheap and they wear apart and break and it sucks.

No brand is consistently awesome when it comes to build quality, except maybe Beyerdynamic. I've never heard a complaint about them.

Edit: What is NRR rating?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

hotsauce posted:

For ~$25? Yep. They aren't the best ever, but for the price they sound like IEMs in the $200 range. No bullshit.

I'm no audiophile but once upon a time I owned some $400 Shure IEMs. These handily beat them, IMO and the controls and mic are icing (if you use Android).
I am iPhone only, but my current IEMs are Sony MH1Cs that have non-functional inline controls.

Still, if these can improve on the microphonics of my MH1Cs, I might consider them. I'm very happy with the SQ of my MH1Cs though.

edit: http://www.head-fi.org/t/703651/the-xiaomi-pistons-thread Looks like they're a great choice if you're upgrading in SQ, but in my case, they are not. Guess I'll pass on this one. :sigh:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jun 15, 2014

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Midorka posted:

No brand is consistently awesome when it comes to build quality, except maybe Beyerdynamic. I've never heard a complaint about them.

Edit: What is NRR rating?

NRR is noise-reduction rating, like the stuff you wear on construction sites or while at a gun range. They're rated 0-30 IIRC, with 30 being the most protective. Basically, he's looking for earplugs-with-speakers rather than actual headphones. Unfortunately I have no experience to share on that front.

featurecreep fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 15, 2014

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

astrollinthepork posted:

I'm looking at 8-10 hours and roughly 500 miles in a few days on a motorcycle. I definitely don't want to listen to muffled wind noise and my own thoughts for that long.

Are there any decent NRR rated earbuds for under $50? Sound quality is secondary to the NRR. Want to shoot for at least 29.
Pretty much anything Etymotic.
35 dB - 42 dB of noise isolation.
http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Rese...ywords=etymotic

Bear Throne
Apr 9, 2014
My old headphones recently gave out on me, so I'm in the market for a replacement. I checked the guide linked in the op, and kind of narrowed it down to the JVC HA-RX900 and Creative Aurvana Live!

My biggest concern is how these will feel with my glasses for long periods of time. I have thick rimmed glasses, will either of these give me trouble? Are there any other over ear headphones that are in the $50 to $75 range that are good for glasses?

Also on the Creative Aurvana Live!, does the Creative Aurvana Live!2 carry the same recommendation as the other?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
These Plantonic X95's should work fine with a PC if I just buy a 3.5mm cable, right?

Related, should I just buy the cheapest 3.5mm on monoprice, or is there an option that'll have better build quality?

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS
Looking for a headphone recommendation. These will only be used in a cubicle environment with maybe 2 hours of use at a time. Mostly I want something that says "don't bug me; I'm jammin"

Budget: Up to $300
Source: iphone 5
Requirements for isolation: No Preference
Preferred type of headphone: On ear/open?
Past headphones: Panasonic RP-HTX7 -- have had these for the past 4 years.

Considering: HIFIman 300 or 400 or Gardo 125e or 225e. It would be cool to be able to get a small Fiio Amp too.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Holyyyy poo poo. If you are using a Essence STX please check this link immediately and just do what it says:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/asus-xonar-essence-stx#wiki

Also grab the community unified drivers and be sure to totally disable your onboard audio in the bios. I do not joke when I say that I am finally hearing these HD 800s properly. I had no idea there was a 44.1 khz bug with the default asus drivers. Bass is so well defined now and the soundstage is somehow even better... it is like a night and day difference. So glad I randomly decided to check for new drivers and stumbled on the HeadFi thread for the soundcard.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Holyyyy poo poo. If you are using a Essence STX please check this link immediately and just do what it says:

Also grab the community unified drivers and be sure to totally disable your onboard audio in the bios. I do not joke when I say that I am finally hearing these HD 800s properly. I had no idea there was a 44.1 khz bug with the default asus drivers. Bass is so well defined now and the soundstage is somehow even better... it is like a night and day difference. So glad I randomly decided to check for new drivers and stumbled on the HeadFi thread for the soundcard.

Glad you got things working properly (maybe?), but I'd be putting that piece of crap on ebay right about now. As far as arguments for preferring external DACs/amps go, "200$ soundcard with lovely drivers was screwing with my super high-end cans; manufacturer doesn't give a gently caress; problem fixed by The Internet" has to be pretty high up there.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Haha, while I share the annoyance at ASUS for the 44.1 noisefloor issue I'd say 80% of it was just me not realizing I could set up foobar to use ASIO and resample to 48 khz. Can't blame anyone but myself for not doing the research until now! However, I am considering picking up a Schiit Valhalla 2 just to have some tube flavoring.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Back in the day when the Xonars were released, everyone still caring about soundcards jumped on them, one reason being Creative's ineptness to deal with 44.1Khz. Now it turns out that Asus is being dumb, too? Motherfucker!

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS
I spent more than 2 hours shopping for hifi headphones in a local shop today. I walked out with Grado SR125e and the sad realization that I'm going deaf.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Back in the day when the Xonars were released, everyone still caring about soundcards jumped on them, one reason being Creative's ineptness to deal with 44.1Khz. Now it turns out that Asus is being dumb, too? Motherfucker!
Consolation for using onboard Realtek to power my HD 650s :smug:

Actually, my ASRock Ivy Bridge motherboard was the last generation from ASRock without a headphone amplifier built-in. Their Haswell and Haswell Refresh motherboards do, so I guess I have something to look forward to when I upgrade my CPU/mobo, whenever that will be (hint: never).

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 18, 2014

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Thanks for this! I upsampled my music to 48k and it sounds identical to when I had it as ASIO/WASAPI. Could never figure out why, all things considered!

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

seravid posted:

Glad you got things working properly (maybe?), but I'd be putting that piece of crap on ebay right about now. As far as arguments for preferring external DACs/amps go, "200$ soundcard with lovely drivers was screwing with my super high-end cans; manufacturer doesn't give a gently caress; problem fixed by The Internet" has to be pretty high up there.

I have to agree with this... I'm honestly a bit flabbergasted by the notion that somebody bought HD800s to be used directly off a PC soundcard.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Consolation for using onboard Realtek to power my HD 650s :smug:
Researching this further, the Hydrogenaudio spergs say that this only really affects the Xonars with headphone amps. On the other ones, it just raises the noise floor by 4-5dB, which means essentially poo poo, because it's already at around 116dB on the front output (at least on mine).

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Thanks for this! I upsampled my music to 48k and it sounds identical to when I had it as ASIO/WASAPI. Could never figure out why, all things considered!
The output API has nothing to do with the 44.1KHz noise issue. Actually, playing a single stream via DirectX and WASAPI shared mode outputs exactly the same thing as WASAPI exclusive mode, assuming you didn't mess with the application specific volume slider.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 19, 2014

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I'm thinking of buying a headphone amp to use with my Sennheiser HD 580s. They sound good when plugged into my stereo but my desktop computer's onboard audio doesn't deliver. I'd be using it at my desk only. I don't mind DIY options and I'd like to keep the price down.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
It is worth noting that the Essence STX uses swappable op amps that fully drive the HD 800s at great volume. The card is completely shielded as well so there is no interference and even has it's own separate power connection. Tom's Hardware double blind DAC tests held it up against a $2000 DAC with a coin flip doing a better job of telling the difference.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Anyone have any feedback on the FiiO E17 dac/amp?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Kind of a headphones related question:

Does anyone know of a good, yet small, external sound card/amp that includes Dolby Headphone and an equalizer? I was using an Astro Mixamp, but its big enough to be a pain to lug around, and didn't have an equalizer. I switched to Sound Blaster X-Fi MB3 for the equalizer, but I prefer Dolby Headphone to CMSS-3D, and it muddies the bass horribly.

I'm currently using Astro A40's (at home) or Bose IE2s (on the road).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I sprung some money for some MDR-V55 from Sony some time ago, and while they sound nice, I learned the hard way that supraaurals are annoying to wear. So some MDR-1R V2 have to replace them, based on the performance of the V55. I hope that's a good choice.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Horizontal Tree posted:

Anyone have any feedback on the FiiO E17 dac/amp?

I use the E17 + E09K combo to drive a pair of M-Audio BX5 D2s and a pair of Sennheiser HD600s, and they do a pretty fine job of it. The E17 itself won't be able to drive high impedance phones like the HD600 to very loud levels, but for lower impedance headphones it works quite well, and the portability is a nice bonus. And you can always add the E09K if you need to.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I'm going to be picking up some Philips Fidelio X1 and a pair of those Piston IEMs for my phone. Just going to be using it for those and maybe my Shure SRH440's when I'm traveling, for now. None are high impedance so it should work. I just don't know of any alternative dac/amps in the price range and figured I'd ask for opinions. If I get more powerful cans in the future I'll probably get something a little more dedicated.

E-Diddy
Mar 30, 2004
I'm both hot and bothered
The wife stopped working almost a year ago because of health problems and after her lung transplant finds herself in better health and not working. She's taken a liking to watching stuff on Netflix and usually stays up late watching stuff on the TV in the living room as to not bother me with the TV at night. We've talked about getting some wireless headphones for the TV watching years ago but didn't really have a case for it. Since she wants to watch TV in bed and not in the living room, it's come up again.

Budget - $100+
Source - TV? We don't have a receiver or anything like that in the bedroom just have the TV.
Isolation Requirements - No, but if a good sounding pair has it that would be fine.
Preferred Type of Headphone - On-ear or over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Strictly for TV watching through Netflix and Blu-Rays mostly.
Past Headphones - I bought "TekNmotion Yapster Blaster Amplified Universal Headset" on a whim a few years ago (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LBDOM4/) and she used them while she was in and out of the hospital to watch her Breaking Bad Blu-Rays and she seemed to like them. But, some of her past medications impaired her hearing slightly so she doesn't need anything super great.
Preferred Music - Minimal music but it'll be something from our Chromecast. She listens to bands like Violent Femmes, NIN and Jimmy Eat World.

Mainly some that are wireless and easy to use (in case she moves them from room to room) is what we're looking for. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Combat Pretzel posted:

I sprung some money for some MDR-V55 from Sony some time ago, and while they sound nice, I learned the hard way that supraaurals are annoying to wear. So some MDR-1R V2 have to replace them, based on the performance of the V55. I hope that's a good choice.

How do you like them? I fell absolutely in love with their sound profile a few weeks ago.

Which lead me to spring for their little brother today, the MDR-10RBTs. They'll be coming in Saturday, I'm really excited.