Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Michaellaneous posted:

Somebody already brought it up, that cameras are weird. I mean, yes, you cannot be detected for some reason - either the scarf which would be stupid because everyone in the winter would be undetecable, or he hacked the system or so.

But would ctOS not cause a much larger alarm when there is a person it can't detect?

If it triggered an alarm every time it couldn't recognize a face it would trigger constantly because of distortion in windows, makeup shadows and bad angles or even if someone is a tourist that isn't in the system yet. But yeah, you avoid recognition because you hacked the system, if you look at yourself in a camera you are covered in mosaic, so Aiden is removing himself from the cameras in real time. Or he could have hacked the CTOS to scan for the symbol on his scarf and just blur the area around, let the system work for you, especially since th profiler is something he has had access to for some time.

I know some artist even made makeup patterns that gently caress up facial recognition software, so avoiding automatic tracking isn't impossible, though one could just forward the picture to a real live human and have them clean it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

TheSpiritFox posted:

It's worth mentioning that as horrible as hacking can be, watching someone's desperation mount to the point of chucking explosives at passerby hoping you're walking pretending to be an NPC is pretty priceless. Nothing like that inexorable countdown to make someone begin behaving frantic.
I so rarely manage to find whoever is hacking me that I've taken to just conceding the hack and driving away rather than give them the satisfaction of watching me frantically search.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Is there an unlock able car durability upgrade somewhere? I've had multiple invaders take 3 or 4 direct hits from grenades and keep going.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I keep seeing this weird lighting glitch, where the shadows in certain areas, usually far away ones, will flash very quickly between the right shadow, and ultra bright sunlight. Sometimes the glitch will fix itself as I approach the area, but often times not. Anyone know anything about it and how to fix it?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

more like dICK posted:

Is there an unlock able car durability upgrade somewhere? I've had multiple invaders take 3 or 4 direct hits from grenades and keep going.

Some cars are stronger than others (to the point where it takes extra grenades to blow it up proper) and I'm almost positive there's a skill that increases the durability of cars.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

TheSpiritFox posted:

It's worth mentioning that as horrible as hacking can be, watching someone's desperation mount to the point of chucking explosives at passerby hoping you're walking pretending to be an NPC is pretty priceless. Nothing like that inexorable countdown to make someone begin behaving frantic.

This was me one of the previous times I was invaded, but I actually managed to somehow hit the guy as I freaked out and just started hitting every car I could with a grenade launcher at 98%.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Hel posted:

If it triggered an alarm every time it couldn't recognize a face it would trigger constantly because of distortion in windows, makeup shadows and bad angles or even if someone is a tourist that isn't in the system yet. But yeah, you avoid recognition because you hacked the system, if you look at yourself in a camera you are covered in mosaic, so Aiden is removing himself from the cameras in real time. Or he could have hacked the CTOS to scan for the symbol on his scarf and just blur the area around, let the system work for you, especially since th profiler is something he has had access to for some time.

I know some artist even made makeup patterns that gently caress up facial recognition software, so avoiding automatic tracking isn't impossible, though one could just forward the picture to a real live human and have them clean it up.

The ctOS system can do a facial scan from the back of somebody's head :colbert:
Sorry that I am calling bullshit on that.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Is it even possible to gold medal these Cash Runs? Those target times seems utterly ridiculous.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Greyhawk posted:

Is it even possible to gold medal these Cash Runs? Those target times seems utterly ridiculous.

Go to Parker Square and do the "Hard Yards" one. Only one I could gold. Very easy to avoid the +time skulls, and there's a time bonus powerup right at the end that's very easy to get without harming your run.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Michaellaneous posted:

The ctOS system can do a facial scan from the back of somebody's head :colbert:
Sorry that I am calling bullshit on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EwZQddc3kY

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hel posted:

I love the idea of Aiden avoiding being profiled because he is playing Pretty Pony Princess makeup.

Yeah, the cameras are something you just have to handwave because it raises too many questions. How can script kiddie Aiden block the recognition but all those members of DedSec can't? Why do the cameras suddenly start noticing him during a police ctOS scan? If they can use the camera to profile everyone then why don't they just round up all the criminals right off the bat?

Also, hackingchat, as annoying as it is for someone to hole up with a rifle when they are being hacked it is so satisfying to gently caress up their plan by getting around it. There were a few times when I had someone think they were so clever an in a perfect area, but whoops there was a camera overhead somewhere. Now come and find ME

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Fateo McMurray posted:

Go to Parker Square and do the "Hard Yards" one. Only one I could gold. Very easy to avoid the +time skulls, and there's a time bonus powerup right at the end that's very easy to get without harming your run.

Thanks, that did it. I can't believe someone playtested these things and went "Well, this looks alright."

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
So I'm level 50, but I need 20 more skill points to fill out the trees. I'm missing better hiding in cars, enforcer take downs, critical focus refill, and more cash from hacking. Where do the rest of these points come from?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Greyhawk posted:

Thanks, that did it. I can't believe someone playtested these things and went "Well, this looks alright."

At least they resisted the urge to make you get gold on all of them. I'm really surprised you only need to do one to get the progression bonus when they weren't shy about making you do other crappy minigames.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Rotational camera!? Does he have the camera from loving Blade Runner!?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Speedball posted:

Rotational camera!? Does he have the camera from loving Blade Runner!?

I haven't actually seen the movie but I believe in that case the camera "guesses" what's behind, which is still dumb magic stuff.

Moochewmoo posted:

So I'm level 50, but I need 20 more skill points to fill out the trees. I'm missing better hiding in cars, enforcer take downs, critical focus refill, and more cash from hacking. Where do the rest of these points come from?

Gang hideouts give skill points as a reward, doing all of them is necessary for a full skill tree.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

PepperSinclaire posted:

For tailing invasions, I always find the most mundane vehicle possible and try to drive it like the AI does. Stay within the speed limit, stop at lights etc. I was tailing a guy who freaked the gently caress out when I did this, running up and over the rail bridges, whacking random passers-by with his baton, and all the while I'm sat - not even hiding - in the same van, doing short laps around the block.

Also fun: get in an ambulance or fire truck and pretend you're responding to the inevitable Keystone Cops clusterfuck people cause once they get the invasion notice. Nobody suspects the noble ambulance.
I did something similar. I spawned in a car a few cars back from the person I was supposed to be tailing. They were just sitting in their car, so all I had to do was idle in traffic that was not moving because the person I was tailing was waiting for me.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Kgummy posted:

I did something similar. I spawned in a car a few cars back from the person I was supposed to be tailing. They were just sitting in their car, so all I had to do was idle in traffic that was not moving because the person I was tailing was waiting for me.

I was tailed once while just climbing poo poo. I was just exploring a construction site in pawnee for the bridge cause I felt it looked neat. Movement caught my eye and I saw someone hiding so I started shooting at them. What followed was a Benny Hill chase which ended up with them in a the slow moving crane piece between the sides on the bridge moving over. I was in a bad angle so I couldn't hit them directly. However ubisoft programed grenade launchers for a reason afterall.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine
I was tailing someone who somehow magically seemed to figure out I was there. He got out of the car and started shooting in my direction, so I got out my grenade launcher and somehow managed to take him out. If you kill someone while you're tailing them, do they actually die and have to start from a check point again? Or does it simply disconnect you and they're free to go about their day?

Because if you can actually kill someone while tailing them, I know what I'm doing for the rest of today.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
I'm pretty sure YOU cant kill them, but I think if they die to something you are basically guaranteed to win.

I was lucky enough to get dropped into a hack in which a guy had just gotten some police on him. I just hid behind a cop car and he got gunned down trying to get through the hail of gunfire. I was only around 50% at that time and I don't know what happened to him after he died but he never came back into the circle and the hack completed up to 100% as usual.

more like dICK posted:

There is the one that reduces tire blowout and I know one that increases ramming durability, I think there is one on the notoriety tree that increases durability overall. I've yet to see a vehicle that wasn't 1-shot disabled with the Destroyer so I usually keep that out with invasions in high traffic areas.

old-timey newspaper gal fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 15, 2014

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Hot Jam posted:

I'm pretty sure YOU cant kill them, but I think if they die to something you are basically guaranteed to win.

I was lucky enough to get dropped into a hack in which a guy had just gotten some police on him. I just hid behind a cop car and he got gunned down trying to get through the hail of gunfire. I was only around 50% at that time and I don't know what happened to him after he died but he never came back into the circle and the hack completed up to 100% as usual.

There is the one that reduces tire blowout and I know one that increases ramming durability, I think there is one on the notoriety tree that increases durability overall. I've yet to see a vehicle that wasn't 1-shot disabled with the Destroyer so I usually keep that out with invasions in high traffic areas.

You get some leeway in shooting or hitting people with cars when you invade, but not much. A single grenade can kill someone and you get the "warning, do not kill them" message without being disconnected, seemingly, but it's not 100%. I do know that I've repeatedly run over tailing targets to complete a tail with them unable to scan me and because they did not die I didn't get disconnected. Firing on someone with an assault rifle repeatedly will get you kicked really drat fast, where shooting someone's car and coincidentally hitting them in the chest with the destroyer won't necessarily end your run.

It seems like you're not supposed to be able to kill people you invade, but you can. I haven't nailed it down because I have definitely killed someone and made them respawn during an invasion, but it's only happened two or three times when I was trying to do it and the rest of the time I get disconnected and booted. You can use a single IED to knock over a pursuer or use what would usually be deadly evironment hacks to slow people down though without having any issues. It's hard to figure out because I've poured AR fire into someone's head point blank until I got kicked and they didn't even notice really, and then I've run people over at full speed in a ferrari sending them flying over a hundred feet and not gotten disconnected, and then I've shot a dude in the middle of a field with a grenade launcher and had him die and respawn when I know that it couldn't have been anything but me that killed him, and not gotten kicked for that either. All when I was invading someone else, usually on tails.

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!

Michaellaneous posted:

Somebody already brought it up, that cameras are weird. I mean, yes, you cannot be detected for some reason - either the scarf which would be stupid because everyone in the winter would be undetecable, or he hacked the system or so.

But would ctOS not cause a much larger alarm when there is a person it can't detect?

I always assumed that he was undetectable because somehow they had hacked the system, for lack of a better term. Sure, it could be the scarf but no matter when you are seen it always comes up as an error.

A part that confused me a bit was the prison level. Yeah, he had a guy that was going to give him his phone back. However, during the intake process what seems like a police officer enters his name as John Smith or something, even though it said Aiden Pearce right before that as an identifier. So are they implying someone on the inside there was rooting for him or something? Or was this something that Jordi supposedly set up that I missed.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Greyhawk posted:

I've actually gotten golds on all of them! Word of warning, there's no reward for doing that. :sigh: Some tips: parkour vaulting is almost always slower than just running around the edge of an object, rubbing up against the edge of the coin. Gold medals mostly require hitting no skull icons, and being quite efficient with the rest of your run. A couple of the easiest ones are near the owl hotel, your early game "headquarters".

Jiro Kage posted:

I always assumed that he was undetectable because somehow they had hacked the system, for lack of a better term. Sure, it could be the scarf but no matter when you are seen it always comes up as an error.

A part that confused me a bit was the prison level. Yeah, he had a guy that was going to give him his phone back. However, during the intake process what seems like a police officer enters his name as John Smith or something, even though it said Aiden Pearce right before that as an identifier. So are they implying someone on the inside there was rooting for him or something? Or was this something that Jordi supposedly set up that I missed.

Aiden does that actually.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 15, 2014

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Jiro Kage posted:

I think it's the facial recognition doing it automatically, and Aiden gets it changed before the cop can notice.

I guess that particular camera was different from the regular ones, somehow?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there any fix for the bluescreen error, or alternatively a way to return stuff on UPlay? Because this game does not work, at all, and I'm far from the only person having this problem.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Just drove off the roof of a police station, road along the railroad tracks with a chopper following me, then fell off and hid under the tracks to lose my pursuer. It should not have worked, but I'll take it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Houdini posted:

I've avoided this thread in case there are any spoilers, so apologies if this is a common issue. But I got
To act 3 and now my loading screen gets stuck around the 90% mark and I've sat for about an hour with nothing happening. I've reinstalled the game and reset my console. Other than that, I can't think of anything. Is this a common bug? I'm on the xbox one.

E: never mind, I've found the 200+ page thread on the ubisoft forum. 30 hours wasted. :suicide:
Recent Ubisoft games are known for bullshit like that. I had 10 hours of gameplay reset in AC4 only to find 3 threads on the support forums 300 pages each with people with the same issue. That was 6 months after release. Ubisoft really is the worst.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Did anyone see the awesome new Dedicated Stealth Mode in AC Unity? AKA the exact same cover stealth that Ubisoft's had in like, their last 5 games :negative:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Jiro Kage posted:

So he hacked the system. And the system must obviously recognize something since it says "Facial Recognition Error."

Are you telling me that Aiden hacked himself out the system and then disabled every single security measure that would notice that and inform someone else?

That is a bit far fetched.

e: Wouldn't they realize that they have to look for a pixelated guy on the camera? Especially since it seems that literally every single person in the world can be recognized?

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
Saw this on Neogaf, apparently Ubisoft left the original graphical poo poo from E3 2012/2013 in the game, and some guy made a mod to re-enable them on top of other poo poo.

quote:

Included in this mod(not all features are available yet):

-Changes to the default fog values
-Enabled bokeh DOF for the main cameras
-Stuttering Improvements
-E3 2012 Bloom
-Performance Improvements
-Enabled Headlight Shadows
-LoD Changes
-Reflection changes
-Added 3 new cameras to the game(closer, normal, further)
-Rain changes(High quality rain drops, properly reacting to light, etc)
-LensFlares(WIP)
-Lighting changes(TESTING AND WIP)
-Civilians density changes

And many more things.. SOON.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=390114

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010
You goons seen this?
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=390114

Its a mod that enables some of the e3 2012 goodies. Looks loving nuts! And the performance isnt much worse. Still my 660 am cry.

E: beaten

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So let's discuss.

Spider Tank : Best game ever, or BEST GAME EVER?

Spider Tank puts everything else to shame

khy fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jun 16, 2014

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

khy posted:

So let's discuss.

Spider Tank : Best game ever, or BEST GAME EVER?

Spider Tank puts everything else to shame

Honestly I found it kinda boring, it's just mowing people down and jumping on the walls so you can shoot at helicopters.
Honestly the shooting in this game is kinda boring, so I've been limiting myself to just pistols and it's a bit more fun. They should have limited you to one or two pistols and then a one larger weapon, kinda like the first Mafia game.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Moochewmoo posted:

I've lost 4 invasions now because Aiden can't pull his stupid loving face out of cover. The cover system is so completely hosed when you try and move around it is what I hate most about this game. When I pull the stick away from cover that means get out. Don't put an invisible God drat wall so I cant move around corners with out have to tap a button. Ubisoft makes the splinter cell games right? So why the gently caress can't they use that stealth system instead of this poo poo show.

How hard is it to press b(or whatever your vault button is) to leave cover? Also don't you mean cover system not stealth system?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Sometimes people are raelly bad at a game but it's totally not their fault, the game is broken dammit!

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Fat Care-Bear posted:

How hard is it to press b(or whatever your vault button is) to leave cover? Also don't you mean cover system not stealth system?
Because in GTA you move away from cover from nudging back.
Also the driving is broken because it's not like GTA.
And the shooting isn't like GTA so it's rubbish as well.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Your're gonna say the driving isn't broken? Try to Pitt maneuver a car and see what happens.

The shooting is fine for me. It's the one of the few things I like about this game.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
So I beat the story mode and I'm about 85% through all the extra side poo poo. This game is the worst. It's playable but it's just so loving stupid. Why are knockdown missions even a thing? I can murder gang member but I have to knock down the leader?

I have like two million dollars, why can't I spend it on anything?

Why do I have 2 mil but live in a shipping container? I get that they're hideouts but c'mon.

Why can't I fly a loving helicopter?

Why is Aiden so loving dense?

So many outfits, all the same. All loving terrible.

I got a Jaime and Cersie Lannister vibe from Aiden and his sister.

why would you leave your nephew in the city with a therapist? She magically not in ctOS?

why was letting maurice live or die the only decision I was given in the game?

loving STUPID rear end KNOCKDOWN MISSIONS, AGAIN!

The last mission with Damien is the dumbest loving thing imaginable

I'm gonna get all these guys doing bad things! (Does everything ten times worse)

Why is he not self aware to the fact that every loving thing his literally his own loving fault, he should seriously blow his loving brains out.

Why can't I play as Jordi? This game should have been about him.

what the gently caress do you think is going to happen if you gently caress with a mob boss' loving five star hotel?

How the gently caress is bed bug still alive, is that supposed to make me feel like less of a tool that uses people for his own ends

Aiden unquestionably suffers from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delusional_disorder

Last time I shut down the city 11 people died, gently caress it, lets do it again so you can get revenge!

Why was there an abandoned bunker and huge satellite facility? Let's build like a billion dollars wort of infrastructure and just abandon it!

WHY THE gently caress CAN'T I JUST HANG UP THE PHONE OR SKIP DIALOG? If you're trying to side missions at the wrong time in the main mission story, every time you load you have to hear the loving phone conversation and the Aiden's pedantic musings.

The story to Far Cry 3 was more coherent and made more loving sense.

Why in the gently caress would I break into a prison to intimidate a guy? I should just have him killed or once I'm in and realize that corrupt are going to kill him, let them do it. I'm obviously not above killing because I had to kill every single loving one of them, and let me tell you, taking a bribe is worth death! They were dirty!

Accidentally run some people over and get your rep down? poo poo, did you just loving let civilians get caught in the cross fire but you didn't want to redo the mission? gently caress it, stop some mugging and we good.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

Fat Care-Bear posted:

I dunno man maybe because I was pressed up against a solid wall? Can Aiden phase through solid objects with vault? Most any other game you can just pull the stick back and you are unmagnetized from the wall.

Given that the main way stealth in this is "use cover to not be seen" then what's the difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

6675636b20796f75 posted:

RANT RANT RANTY RANT

P. much.

• Locked thread