Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Pegnose Pete posted:

That's awesome thanks guys. Also are they nice about it and count 49.99 as 50$? Tropical Freeze is 49.99 on the eShop.

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rock Epidemic
Mar 17, 2001

Pegnose Pete posted:

That's awesome thanks guys. Also are they nice about it and count 49.99 as 50$? Tropical Freeze is 49.99 on the eShop.

They won't round it up, unfortunately. I actually used it as an excuse to do a few of the discounted Virtual Console upgrades from the Wii to Wii U, which are just enough to push those other purchases over. It might be worth considering that route if you have the option.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Pegnose Pete posted:

Rock Epidemic posted:

They won't round it up, unfortunately. I actually used it as an excuse to do a few of the discounted Virtual Console upgrades from the Wii to Wii U, which are just enough to push those other purchases over. It might be worth considering that route if you have the option.

Yeah, basically every 10 cents is a point, and 500 points = $5. If you buy something for $49.99 you get 499 points, and need to spend 10 cents on something to push you over.

Does anyone know if digital games bought with Club Nintendo coins counts for this?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

CatsPajamas posted:

Yeah, basically every 10 cents is a point, and 500 points = $5. If you buy something for $49.99 you get 499 points, and need to spend 10 cents on something to push you over.

Does anyone know if digital games bought with Club Nintendo coins counts for this?

They do! I got points for Super Metroid when it was a Club Nintendo game a few weeks ago!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Man I've been playing Wario Land 4 for the first time and it's like ridiculously good. (The only other one I ever had was WL2) Is that one Wario Land game they released on Wii any good? There was a DS one too I think but I heard that one was bad.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I just downloaded Yoshi's Island off the eShop. I'm glad it's the gba version, I forgot how much I enjoyed the Mario Bros. remake on the gba games. I really wish multiplayer somehow could work for the gba emulator. (Even if it was something like P1 on the gamepad and P2 on the screen.)

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Help Im Alive posted:

Man I've been playing Wario Land 4 for the first time and it's like ridiculously good. (The only other one I ever had was WL2) Is that one Wario Land game they released on Wii any good? There was a DS one too I think but I heard that one was bad.

Shake It! is decent, skip Master of Disguise and get Wario Land 3 if you've never played it.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

Guys, guys, guys. It's $45 but honestly one of the best controllers I've ever used. I used it for emulation on my Mac before I got a Wii u, but now that I have a Wii U, I use it for practically everything. it's also a life saver when your Gamepad is charging or on the dock and you just wanna play some games with a classic feeling controller.

Can I also just say how poo poo tickling hard is to make a Project M channel on vWii? It's not even hard, it's impossible. I hate things way too easily.

We were both wrong, it's $50. Though I don't know why you'd get it for your computer when it doesn't support Xinput out of the box, and doesn't even have analog triggers. Just get an Xbox 360 or One controller for that.

It's a pretty mediocre controller and honestly the Gamepad itself is much better, I don't know why you guys are in love with it. It would be absolutely worthless if the CC Pro just had clickable sticks.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

gay skull posted:

We were both wrong, it's $50. Though I don't know why you'd get it for your computer when it doesn't support Xinput out of the box, and doesn't even have analog triggers. Just get an Xbox 360 or One controller for that.

It's a pretty mediocre controller and honestly the Gamepad itself is much better, I don't know why you guys are in love with it. It would be absolutely worthless if the CC Pro just had clickable sticks.

I was referencing an earlier post of mine where I had said Amazon had them for $45.

And I used a 360 controller for emulators for a long while. I decided to try out the Pro Controller for a bit and started to love it. I can use its bluetooth to map keys or use one of the many apps made for its utilization (personally use wjoy). Also, I don't need analog sticks for anything aside from racing games and maybe an fps but I'm only emulating old RPGs or Mother 3.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
The wu pro controller is working a lot better for me for Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze than the gamepad is. If bluetooth worked on my desktop, I'd love to be able to use it for my PC games. It's super comfortable and super light and lasts forever.

Also when my fiancee watches me play Tropical Freeze she freaks the hell out at everything, especially with poo poo like the stage starting to collapse or the buzzsaw falling off and beginning to roll after me. She keeps going "THIS GAME IS TERRIFYING WHY DO YOU LIKE THIS" and I'm like "because um, challenge I guess!" Also it's really fun.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Wild Knight posted:

Also when my fiancee watches me play Tropical Freeze she freaks the hell out at everything, especially with poo poo like the stage starting to collapse or the buzzsaw falling off and beginning to roll after me. She keeps going "THIS GAME IS TERRIFYING WHY DO YOU LIKE THIS" and I'm like "because um, challenge I guess!" Also it's really fun.
Sever.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]

Never, my point was that that was half the fun of playing Tropical Freeze so far. :v:

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Wild Knight posted:

That story is great and made me smile. Tropical Freeze, more or less terrifying than ZombiU?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Wild Knight posted:

The wu pro controller is working a lot better for me for Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze than the gamepad is. If bluetooth worked on my desktop, I'd love to be able to use it for my PC games. It's super comfortable and super light and lasts forever.

This is the best part of Tropical Freeze, it captures the frantic furious stress of DK2 really well. You'll have stages where you're just SEETHING, gripping the controller tight, growing increasingly more foul-mouthed as you run and jump and just barely dodge and then you get hit and you have ONE HIT LEFT and you have to leap through a gauntlet and it's like "gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress YOU NO NO gently caress ME" and then you die and you scream.

Then you take a breath.

Pick the controller back up.

78 lives to go.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I was talking about getting a WiiU with a friend of mine, he mentioned that I can get a refurbished Black WiiU from nintendo for 200$, is this an actual viable option?! or is there something wrong with those machines like scratched screens and grimy plastic? how reliable are those refurbished machines?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Games -> Wii U Discussion - Refurbs are practically new

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Al-Saqr posted:

I was talking about getting a WiiU with a friend of mine, he mentioned that I can get a refurbished Black WiiU from nintendo for 200$, is this an actual viable option?! or is there something wrong with those machines like scratched screens and grimy plastic? how reliable are those refurbished machines?

They're so good and pristine that people think they put new cases on them to make them look brand new. I think one out of twelve people in this thread reported that it wouldn't read discs and had to mail it back to get a working one, everyone else says it works as good as it looks.
You get a year warranty, though simply registering to Club Nintendo extends it further and it gives you Club Nintendo points even though the site says it doesn't.

Go for it, you get Nintendoland and if you buy Mario Kart 8 you'll get a free game, and that free game gives you five dollars because of the 10% cashback Nintendo does on Digital Purchases.

The OP should really be updated with the refurbished stuff.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Help Im Alive posted:

I personally think Shake It! Is a stronger, more replayable experience than 4. 4 is faster, and arguably slightly more fun in those high-speed segments, but the level design intrigue is, in my opinion, comparatively lacking. Shake It! has multiple different design conceits (some adopted from 4) that work incredibly well with one another (treasure collecting, gold collecting, forward-and-back level design, its rather unique "missions," some stuff concerning enemy placement, and some specificities of movement), and it's more than capable of being hard as balls. Not to mention the generally excellent soundtrack and timeless artstyle co-created with Production IG.

tl;dr Yes. Good Feel is good.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The OP should really be updated with the refurbished stuff.
I'm pretty sure AngryCaterpillar straight-up does not care about the thread OP anymore and will not update it. If we want a better OP, someone will just have to create a brand new thread.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 15, 2014

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?
Hey friends, long time reader first time poster here.
I made a mostly redundant video review of Mario Kart 8, if you want to talk to me about it that's cool also.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXZTYXCIc0o

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Ultigonio posted:

I personally think Shake It! Is a stronger, more replayable experience than 4. 4 is faster, and arguably slightly more fun in those high-speed segments, but the level design intrigue is, in my opinion, comparatively lacking. Shake It! has multiple different design conceits (some adopted from 4) that work incredibly well with one another (treasure collecting, gold collecting, forward-and-back level design, its rather unique "missions," some stuff concerning enemy placement, and some specificities of movement), and it's more than capable of being hard as balls. Not to mention the generally excellent soundtrack and timeless artstyle co-created with Production IG.

tl;dr Yes. Good Feel is good.

I'm pretty sure AngryCaterpillar straight-up does not care about the thread OP anymore and will not update it. If we want a better OP, someone will just have to create a brand new thread.

Cloks posted:

Shake It! is decent, skip Master of Disguise and get Wario Land 3 if you've never played it.

Thanks a lot, it sounds pretty fun. I guess I'll see if I can find a used copy or something once I'm done with Wario Land 4.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

ChaosArgate posted:

I honestly think they are new, and just being repackaged as a stealth price drop. They have sold way too many of them to actually have refurbs still in stock.

Also, I've played more WiiU in the past week of ownership than in the entire time I've had a PS4. The only issue I have is I'm always fighting with my wife over what game to play and I'm fairly certain NSMBU is going to lead to a divorce.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hey Dorkios, is there any difference between the Wii U HDMI cable and a gold plated one in terms of quality or even performance if that's an issue. I'm asking mostly because with an adapter for the Gamecube through the Wiimote, the GC controller will have some lag, but a guy tested it through standard composite cables and it worked pretty well. So, the issue was right there with the HDMI cables, etc etc etc.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

Hey Dorkios, is there any difference between the Wii U HDMI cable and a gold plated one in terms of quality or even performance if that's an issue. I'm asking mostly because with an adapter for the Gamecube through the Wiimote, the GC controller will have some lag, but a guy tested it through standard composite cables and it worked pretty well. So, the issue was right there with the HDMI cables, etc etc etc.

No.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Cool.

I ordered a Mayflash adapter not too long ago and it should get here on the 17th. I'll post a lil mini thought blurb and see if I experience any lag myself.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Comrade Flynn posted:

I honestly think they are new, and just being repackaged as a stealth price drop. They have sold way too many of them to actually have refurbs still in stock.

Maybe. The numbers might work if you consider returns (can't just tape up the open box and immediately resell it), easily-fixed issues that nevertheless require sending one in on warranty (bad disc drive), and the likely very low traffic their refurb store actually sees. Plus the more they sell thanks to Mario Kart or E3 the more returns they'll have to refurbish, so it kind of scales with sales.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that it might be closer than you think.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Since the Nintendo E3 event got so much attention and posts, I'm wondering if we should have gameday threads for future Nintendo Directs. Maybe not, let's say, for a Pokemon-only Direct (which will likely happen), but one of the Nintendo Directs that have 20+ minutes of announcements. Especially since they seem to have different announcements for each region, right? So the more eyes on them the better.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Well I just pulled the trigger and ordered a refurb too. Can't pass up that price, wow.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

noirstronaut posted:

According to your setup there can be a tiny amount of lag as you go to the TV, but composite won't help a ton unless your tv skips all processing at all. If you can notice any noticeable lag with it as opposed to a wavebird or classic controller you're imagining it.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Quest For Glory II posted:

Since the Nintendo E3 event got so much attention and posts, I'm wondering if we should have gameday threads for future Nintendo Directs. Maybe not, let's say, for a Pokemon-only Direct (which will likely happen), but one of the Nintendo Directs that have 20+ minutes of announcements. Especially since they seem to have different announcements for each region, right? So the more eyes on them the better.

At the very least, it'd removed some of TVIV clutter from this and the 3DS threads.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Elliotw2 posted:

According to your setup there can be a tiny amount of lag as you go to the TV, but composite won't help a ton unless your tv skips all processing at all. If you can notice any noticeable lag with it as opposed to a wavebird or classic controller you're imagining it.

It was this video to be exact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgj_ethT4bo

e: Wasn't that video at all.

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 16, 2014

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Quest For Glory II posted:

I kind of wonder if we'll be getting many (any?) more of those kinds of Directs. The only not-game specific Direct in 2014 was the one in February and was really light on substantial announcements. I think the only new games we've learned about from 2014 Directs were Rusty and NES Remix 2, right? That's probably partially why their E3 thing this year was perceived to be so much stronger than their 2013 one-- a big reduction in announcing new games in Directs beforehand and saving up all announcements for one big event. Especially given how many of their E3 games are allegedly scheduled for the "first half" of 2015, I wonder if we already know most of their big releases for the next 12 months or so.

Hopefully I'm wrong though, and they have a couple of unannounced 3DS games to surprise us with throughout the rest of the year.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

noirstronaut posted:

It was this video to be exact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgj_ethT4bo

e: Wasn't that video at all.

It looks like he's running the Wii U through a sound system reciever, which can introduce a small amount of lag. If you ever do anything that requires minimum lag like music games or fighting games you should always connect directly to a TV.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

How's the Pikmin 3 DLC?

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

mancalamania posted:

I kind of wonder if we'll be getting many (any?) more of those kinds of Directs. The only not-game specific Direct in 2014 was the one in February and was really light on substantial announcements. I think the only new games we've learned about from 2014 Directs were Rusty and NES Remix 2, right? That's probably partially why their E3 thing this year was perceived to be so much stronger than their 2013 one-- a big reduction in announcing new games in Directs beforehand and saving up all announcements for one big event. Especially given how many of their E3 games are allegedly scheduled for the "first half" of 2015, I wonder if we already know most of their big releases for the next 12 months or so.

Hopefully I'm wrong though, and they have a couple of unannounced 3DS games to surprise us with throughout the rest of the year.

Last year they had a direct every month after e3 running up to Christmas. It's their big time of year so I'd imagine they'll do the same to hype it up. The problem they have is they're mostly giving details about already announced games, but people hype them up imagining they're going to get a new Metroid/Zelda/Mario/everything and then cry bullshit when it doesn't come true.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Comrade Flynn posted:

How's the Pikmin 3 DLC?

If you like Challenge mode, it's absolutely essential. If you don't dig that kind of gameplay, it's skippable for sure.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mancalamania posted:

Nintendo's E3 2013 Direct contents:
Pokemon X/Y, Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Wii Party U, Wind Waker HD, Wonderful 101, Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade X, Smash Bros

Despite that extensive group of titles (most of which we knew about already, of course), Nintendo had a Direct in August which announced Pokemon Rumble U, the official announcement of Layton/Wright coming to North America, Summer Carnival 92 Recca, Wario Land 3, SMB3 (which took an eternity to get to the US), and Animal Crossing Plaza for Wii U.

You're probably wondering why they wouldn't mention those things at E3 even off-hand, and the answer is...... I don't know??? But it's how they do things.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 16, 2014

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Wild Knight posted:

You can buy USB bluetooth Dongles for like $5.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]

Lagomorphic posted:

You can buy USB bluetooth Dongles for like $5.

I know, I have one, and I tried both Toshiba and Microsoft stacks but neither of them worked, can't even get my phone to connect let alone a controller. :shrug:

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

This really needs to be the new title of the thread. Actually like people have mentioned the OP is way out of date, and we've passed 1000 pages. Might be a good time for a new thread.

Everyone else already commented on refurb quality, and I want to add that applies to the refurbished controller (Wii Remote Plus + Nunchuck) I got as well. For the consoles, someone mentioned somewhere that since Nintendo recalled all those basic models they might be expanding the memory and replacing the case, then selling them as refurbished Deluxe models.

But yeah, up until the Mario Kart 8 sale ends (July 31st):

$200 Refurb Wii U Deluxe Bundle w/ NintendoLand
$60 Mario Kart 8 + Free Game

Basically new system, 3 games, $5 eShop credit ($10 if you get MK8 from the eShop), and 280 Club Nintendo coins (which works out to around a couple downloadable games) for $260.

On a completely different note, why is Super Mario 3D world so much fun? I just realized it's almost 10 o'clock. Where did today go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT
Just bought the refurb from the Nintendo website. Can't wait for it to arrive.

For $300 (including two-day shipping and taxes), I'll have the following:

Wii U Deluxe
Nintendoland
Mario Kart 8 (price matched Amazon less $15 Target deal by buying a pre-order card)
SM3DW (did the price match + Target deal again)
Wind Waker (when I register MK8)

I was tempted to do the same Target deal on Tropical Freeze but that's too many games already. Between this and the PS4, I'm set this generation.

• Locked thread