Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I've got splined security nuts on my wheels and I actually prefer them to regular hex nuts; I'm pretty sure the splines can handle more torque than hexagonal nuts. I have, however, seen some atrocious poo poo where the barrel is smooth and there is a key cut into the outer face, definitely gently caress those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I figure this would be the most appropriate thread in AI for this Land Cruiser. Any knowledge to pass on? I'm not necessarily looking for a daily driver, but I think if this isn't too bad of shape, it would make for a stellar weekend/camping truck. I'm guessing parts will be a bitch, though. They seem pretty rare.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Not gonna comment on parts availability but that is pretty much my dream truck.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Make sure the frame isn't horribly rotted and everything runs and works and then buy it.

Seems like a fair price given that it looks nice and clean, really. IIRC, that is even a solid front axle.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

In California that could be 4x the price (for a rust free ca car)

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Solid axles front and rear on the old 60 series, only downside is that its leaf sprung front and rear and wont have the handling and comfort of the later all-coil 80 series. But you wont buy an 80 series for $2500 either. Its a pity you guys didnt get the Turbo Diesels avaliable in the 60 and 80 series- the 12HT in the 60 series is a ripper of an engine compared to the 2F/3F.

In other news, Why the gently caress did i bolt on a full set of underbody bash plates, THEN buy a diff breather kit that requires me to remove said plates to install?

Bingemoose
Mar 24, 2014

Hurr Durr muts saf gotam cety

anyone have a figure on what this would cost to build? 10k-20? just for the frame/chassis.

The warm weather is around and I wanna build somthing fun this summer.

:human being:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You're looking at 1500-2k just for the axles to start off (those are 6 lug M35A2 deuce and a half 2.5 ton axle housings, judging by the lug pattern), figure another few grand for drivetrain (what engine? what transmission? what transfer case? You could spend anywhere from $150 to $2500 on each of those, easily, depending on whether a junkyard pull or a brand new all-aftermarket unit is what you want), a couple thousand in tube, call it 1k-2k in tools (tubing bender isn't cheap), 500 bucks worth of seats, a racing steering column, brake system, cooling system, few hundred in batteries, you could spend anywhere from 1k to 10k on coilovers depending on how fancy you want. Tires are probably at least 2k, wheels at least 1k, those are custom beadlocks.

Plus a couple hundred hours of fabrication work. That's much cheaper if you can do it yourself and count its cost as zero because you enjoy it.

e - for that specific build:
Looks like a Klune V, Stak, or Atlas transfer case. That's somewhere around $2k right there.
Unsure what engine, can't see it.
No idea on transmission.
Wheels, you could just get recentered HEMTT/FMTV/5-ton combat wheels with deuce pattern centers put in and save a bit. Still plan on 1k for wheels.
Tires, that's at least 2k. Unsure what those are.
Those look like aftermarket 7075 control arms. That's probably a grand right there, there are 8 of them.

That is by no means a cheap build.

kastein fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 5, 2014

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Bingemoose posted:

anyone have a figure on what this would cost to build? 10k-20? just for the frame/chassis.

Here's the build thread - http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/925043-mr-edd-buggy.html

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
There's million dollar rock bouncers out there, they are by no means any sort of 'economy' build.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
e: oops

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Holy poo poo, that thing is even more awesome than I thought.

Probably a 25-30k rig or more.

His control arm angles are insane, with them sloped up like that, he'd have to literally slam into an undercut ledge head on to affect suspension at all.

I kinda want to see how he has his drivelines run, because with toploader rockwells (the driveline enters the housing probably a foot above centerline) it must be interesting in a buggy that low.

Bingemoose
Mar 24, 2014

Hurr Durr muts saf gotam cety

kastein posted:

You're looking at 1500-2k just for the axles to start off (those are 6 lug M35A2 deuce and a half 2.5 ton axle housings, judging by the lug pattern), figure another few grand for drivetrain (what engine? what transmission? what transfer case? You could spend anywhere from $150 to $2500 on each of those, easily, depending on whether a junkyard pull or a brand new all-aftermarket unit is what you want), a couple thousand in tube, call it 1k-2k in tools (tubing bender isn't cheap), 500 bucks worth of seats, a racing steering column, brake system, cooling system, few hundred in batteries, you could spend anywhere from 1k to 10k on coilovers depending on how fancy you want. Tires are probably at least 2k, wheels at least 1k, those are custom beadlocks.

Plus a couple hundred hours of fabrication work. That's much cheaper if you can do it yourself and count its cost as zero because you enjoy it.

e - for that specific build:
Looks like a Klune V, Stak, or Atlas transfer case. That's somewhere around $2k right there.
Unsure what engine, can't see it.
No idea on transmission.
Wheels, you could just get recentered HEMTT/FMTV/5-ton combat wheels with deuce pattern centers put in and save a bit. Still plan on 1k for wheels.
Tires, that's at least 2k. Unsure what those are.
Those look like aftermarket 7075 control arms. That's probably a grand right there, there are 8 of them.

That is by no means a cheap build.

Yeah I know the cheap build. I want to find a frame before I start pricing out some motors and everything else first. Just wanted to know the frame cost for building a custom tube frame.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
You can pick up someone elses caged pile of parts thats unfinished for not much.

there are also companies that turn ready-to-bolt-poo poo-on and race buggy cages.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

So. I want to do something really stupid.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/hamilton/1995-lada-niva-for-sale/591131843?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/st-catharines/1998-lada-niva/589124036?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I likely won't, but I really want a beater to take on some of the apparently pretty sweet logging/mining road trails around where I live, without beating up the new truck.
And I really want a Lada Niva.

Tell me I'm a bad person.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Bingemoose posted:

Yeah I know the cheap build. I want to find a frame before I start pricing out some motors and everything else first. Just wanted to know the frame cost for building a custom tube frame.

A couple grand at least, unless you can bend tube and weld. Then it's what, $30 for a 12 pound roll of welding wire and $3-7 a foot for 1.75x0.120 DOM depending on who you buy from.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bingemoose posted:

If you follow "madram11" on Facebook (He's a videographer for the rock bouncer events) He put up a link to a used competition winning rock bouncer buggy like this one (With 500hp LS based motor), Dana60 front and Chevy 14bolt rear. Used price was $35k. Of course you will need a trailer, tow rig, Extra tire or two, fuel, and a maintenance schedule.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I figure its better to ask in this thread than the Jeep thread:

I want to do a circuit panel similar to racecar wiring. This will be rear mounted in the back, near the auxillary battery.

It will be a sheet metal panel, with a row of solenoids, and a common power bus feeding them off the aux. battery.

I'm thinking

Row of Solenoids
Fuse for each solenoid
Threaded + post to run device
Threaded post beside it for the switches

Common ground for everything going back to the aux. battery.

Am I missing something ? I'm not sure how many circuits to build, maybe 10 ?

Circuits I need are:

Flood lights
Spot lights
Rear flood lights
Stereo Amplifiers
Air compressor

Winch will be run directly from battery, bypassing the board.

Since this will be at the rear, I will extend some of the power terminals to the engine bay so that I ont have to run power leads all the way to the back of the vehicle.

Im trying to find a terminal strip/terminal block that also acts as a fuse block. Since all my lighting is LED and HID stuff, current isn't too high. I'm pulling just over 20amps for my entire light setup. But it will be less than 10 amps per circuit.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Go under the hood of two 97-01 XJs in the yard, cut the PDC out of each with about a foot of harness. Disassemble them, the yellow socket modules are interchangeable, some fit two regular relays, some fit 4 microISO relays, some fit mini fuses, etc.

Snap together the set you want, buy it, feed it with a fat cable (fuse protected under the hood) from the front, add the circuits you want. Even comes with a threaded stud for the input feed, a bracket for mounting, and a cover with space for a fuse/relay legend.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thats a good idea, but I want to get better at building nice show quality wiring setups, so I figure this will be a fun project. Also my town doesn't junk XJ's. They just get butchered into crawler buggies.

I drew up a quick schematic yesterday. (The leads going from the switches to the relays don't all connect because I was getting to cramped on that sheet of paper, but circuit 9 is complete.)

Just waiting on work to slow down a bit so I can go down to the supply shop and grab some relays. I might actually use wood or plastic as a board, since it doesn't conduct.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Spent the weekend out wheeling, and got it dirty.

Irritatingly, I broke the whip on my UHF antenna (loving corrugations!) and my compressor broke a bolt on its crank and poo poo the bed, so I'll need to fix those before my huge trip to Central Australia in July.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Big Bear, CA

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
One of the guys in our group got us access to the trails on the Los Coyotes Indian reservation this weekend. I guess it's been closed off to traffic for about 10 years. We had a guy that's part of the tribe take us out and show us around. The trails were WAAAAY gnarlier than I was ready for, some super tough stuff. Just getting from one obstacle to the next was an undertaking. The guys in their super-jeeps were having fun on some of the harder lines (El Hill, Bobsled) while the rest of us plunked around on the small stuff.

Here's me getting tugged up "Bronco". I made it up to the last ledge and lost traction. I need to see about a rear locker :)

Here's Runt, one of the super-jeeps. This obstacle is called Bobsled. 6 people tried it and they all ended up winching through.

Here's Runt again on on "El Hill".

Crane
Jun 10, 2004

:chord:

cursedshitbox posted:

Put a heavy rear end blanket on your next tow strap. you and spectators might have your lives saved because of it.

also make god-drat sure your tower knows what the hell he's doing.

People have been killed because of flying cables and shackles. You're one lucky gently caress.
Never ever assume the person towing you knows what they're doing, even if they have their own straps and cables that look well used. Sooo many people gun it and try to snap the line instead of creating a steady pull to see if things are working. One coworker had the bumper of our worktruck ripped off because he got stuck in a bit of mud or snow and a water truck stopped to pull him out. They tied it to the bumper and of course, jerked it.
The fact this guy never went offroading before probably meant he doesn't have much experience getting unstuck.
If you've got the wheels buried past half way you may need to jack it up and stick something in the ruts so it rolls easier over the rim of the mud pit that's been created.
Anyone who gets offended by you asking a few simple questions prior to the tow operation is a dickbag.
Clarify he's not going to jerk it, he can hear commands to stop, knows where to put the straps (if you don't have obvious points on your frame/bumper) and to do that YOU should know where straps should go on your vehicle.

shovelbum posted:

I always hear about tow straps breaking left and right and I've seen it many times myself but I see cranes lift stuff on similar slings constantly and not break so many. Is it just because tons and tons of people gun it with slack in the strap and put crazy shock loads on it all the time?
That is the case 9 times out of 10. And the whipping ends will fly around horizontally, a crane just has vertical travel and people still should be standing in safe areas.

Crane fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 9, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Also, I don't know about regulations in the US, but the breaking load vs rated load is about double for lifting kit compared to pulling kit.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
FYI Tim Cameron's "UltraBouncer" rock buggy is for sale. 630c.I. big block, powerglide, dana80 axles,

$110,000

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Also, I don't know about regulations in the US, but the breaking load vs rated load is about double for lifting kit compared to pulling kit.

i think in Australia its even higher than that- I know that bow shackles have a safety factor of about 10x from destructive testing- 4.5T shackles were failing at 45+ tonnes.

A lot of the kit we use in recovery is built to rigging specs- only real exception is a snatch strap, thats about the only one that is listed in "Breaking strain" rather than "working load limit"

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It is on jalopnik, but...
the world's baddest model A.
http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/the-oral-history-of-an-amazing-1930-ford-model-a-off-ro-1588212852/1588260091/+orlove

Some guy turned it into a rural mail delivery vehicle in the 40s when it was probably drat near worthless.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
:stare: I don't think I've ever wanted a car so badly.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ferremit posted:

i think in Australia its even higher than that- I know that bow shackles have a safety factor of about 10x from destructive testing- 4.5T shackles were failing at 45+ tonnes.

A lot of the kit we use in recovery is built to rigging specs- only real exception is a snatch strap, thats about the only one that is listed in "Breaking strain" rather than "working load limit"
Sorry, I didn't mean that lifting equipment failed at twice the rated load, I meant that the difference between failure point and rating for lifting equipment compared to that same ratio for pulling kit is usually higher by a factor of at least two, so while a 5t pulling strap would fail much higher than 5t load, the same thing rated for lifting would in reality be at least twice as strong again.

I seem to recall UK regs are 3:1 safety factor for pulling, 5:1 for lifting, but yeah, the kit you buy will usually exceed that.

whyfeel
May 20, 2004

jonathan posted:

... I might actually use wood or plastic as a board, since it doesn't conduct.

I used a piece of Certainteed cement board for the backing of my aux relay. It comes in 12' lengths as lap siding, 8 1/4" or 9 1/4". It is used in high fire danger areas because it's fireproof. Also, being brittle cement board there are lots of broken pieces at lumber yards if you ask nicely.

I have an 8x8" piece with twin holes in the bottom to vertically mount the board. Haven't had any problems, holes are for 10mm bolts with an aluminum strip acting as a washer and hard mount point. Hasn't cracked or failed bouncing around in my Datsun Z.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Any tips for cleaning off / out vast amounts of clay mud from everything? It's a constant problem for me.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Wait until it dries and chip it off.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

General_Failure posted:

Any tips for cleaning off / out vast amounts of clay mud from everything? It's a constant problem for me.

I always heard to just park it over some kind of oscillating/rotating lawn sprinkler for a day - start it on one end and drag the sprinkler a few feet every few hours. Hit the body with a pressure washer at the end.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Short of crawling under it with a pressure washer (which is a poo poo job- no two ways about it) a very high pressure sprinkler will get a lot off if it isn't the real sticky clay. After my last trip I drove the car up onto a pair of those angle iron ramps on one side to tilt it, went at everything I could hit with a karcher, then swapped sides. Discovered I need heftier ramps- my 1 tonne ones bent!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Went out and played in the mud this past weekend.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96792720@N06/sets/72157645181812821/

Really, really, really, not looking forward to the cleanup. Still have inches of mud everywhere on my Jeep. It was fun though!

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I always heard to just park it over some kind of oscillating/rotating lawn sprinkler for a day - start it on one end and drag the sprinkler a few feet every few hours. Hit the body with a pressure washer at the end.

Hose Tractor.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ferremit posted:

Short of crawling under it with a pressure washer (which is a poo poo job- no two ways about it) a very high pressure sprinkler will get a lot off if it isn't the real sticky clay. After my last trip I drove the car up onto a pair of those angle iron ramps on one side to tilt it, went at everything I could hit with a karcher, then swapped sides. Discovered I need heftier ramps- my 1 tonne ones bent!

Hope you weren't under them when they bent. That's kind of scary. How heavy is it?

Sprinkler is a no-go currently because of really lovely flow for the external (raw) taps. It might be possible to feed filtered water out from the laundry building though now I think of it. Does the clay pretty much disperse for you into the grass?

It is really sticky clay. Usually red and / or white. It's a motherfucker to get off my boots.

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

mattfl posted:

Went out and played in the mud this past weekend.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96792720@N06/sets/72157645181812821/

Really, really, really, not looking forward to the cleanup. Still have inches of mud everywhere on my Jeep. It was fun though!

Looks like fun! Where was that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Geology posted:

Looks like fun! Where was that?

HardRock Cycle Park in Ocala. It's a huge motorcross park but they also have a very large 4x4 area with all kinda fun stuff.

http://www.hardrockmx.com/

Usually there are some rock gardens and hill climbs but it was so wet/muddy the only thing we could really do was play in it. :)