Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

I Feast On Dogshit posted:

Please rush out an update to make the little footballs viewable in the app

For anybody wondering what this means, open in safari.

I'm very sorry to say that's probably not gonna happen :( It's on the list though.

(Boring technobabble herein.) That's one of many adornments that is added in forums.css, which Awful currently does not even attempt to deal with, and I've yet to actually figure out how to sensibly accomplish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Oh god, that's implemented so horribly. What gets you a football? Being an OP in TRP?

Edit: Beaten by pokeyman

Froist fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jun 13, 2014

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Froist posted:

Oh god, that's implemented so horribly.

And yet it makes so much sense when you consider how painful the relevant codebase must be.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

This is a very important update, critical even and must be released before the end of the world cup

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Froist posted:

Oh god, that's implemented so horribly. What gets you a football? Being an OP in TRP?

Edit: Beaten by pokeyman

We are all World Cup mods

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

How do you get the balls? Are the people who have them now the only people who will have them, or will new people get them?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

We are all World Cup mods

Oh I missed this before. So the list of people with footballs isn't changing?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Sorry for the triple-post.

Pokeyman, I just pushed a commit up to Github to show the balls. It should work as long as the list of users stays static. I hope this is still relevant by the time an update is released though.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

pokeyman posted:

The swiping-from-right to go back to the thread is a good idea that's come up before. In my experience it's rare for an app to support that (can't think of any examples actually) but it would be nice to have.
Reeder does this.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Diabolik900 posted:

Sorry for the triple-post.

Pokeyman, I just pushed a commit up to Github to show the balls. It should work as long as the list of users stays static. I hope this is still relevant by the time an update is released though.

I hope the commit just says "shows balls".

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

God drat it

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

The Dave posted:

I hope the commit just says "shows balls".

and I hope they use lolcommits and someone post the screenshot.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Here's a thought: for handling these type of things in the future, couldn't we @import a CSS file hosted at awfulapp.com so that we can update these kind of custom mod star type things without having to go through app review? Or maybe that would be overkill for something that's done pretty infrequently.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I cannot stress enough how important this is.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I kind of miss my tap and hold gesture for thread options, can we have both or am I being a baby?

Also, thinking the "more" cell should jut be our link color.

The process of removing a favorite forum has also gotten a little silly IMO, now that hitting the remove button just slides over the unstar option.

More importantly, I'm wondering if we can make a classy looking spinning grenade and use that for all loading animations.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The Dave posted:

I kind of miss my tap and hold gesture for thread options, can we have both or am I being a baby?

I agree with this (not the baby part).

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
Does this post help with our footballs

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570088&pagenumber=6113&perpage=40#post430980115

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Thanks, but I already dug into the css and grabbed that. I've added the balls but I don't know when Pokeyman plans to push an update out since he's been working on other features. Unfortunately when you factor in app review time it could be a while before anyone gets them.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I really don't want to enforce my new mods powers so soon, but get an update out or I'll start pressing buttons that I don't know what happens

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
So I've actually been using Awful long enough for a login cookie to expire. Nice to see that it threw me a pop-up about it about a week ago, but the behavior immediately following its expiration was unintuitive. While viewing the forums, the cookie expired, leading initially to (some) threads suddenly losing their unviewed post counts. When viewing these threads, Awful showed me the first page (fine, if you don't have the information about the last viewed post, it's a little hard to jump there). However, attempts to navigate to any other page failed (only the first page was ever visible) and after leaving the thread, returning to it would give an empty thread-view. I was not ever given a new log-in screen until I manually restarted the app.

Would it be possible to detect when the login cookie expires while browsing the forum and to redirect the user to the login pane (with an explanation, of course) instead of misleading the user into thinking that the app or forums are suddenly broken?

EDIT: Also, apparently, once threads are reset as being unviewed due to this behavior, they don't regain their unviewed post counts after re-logging-in until a manual refresh of the forum. I'm not sure if the threads with missing post counts behave badly when viewed (as I refreshed the forum before clicking on them). It's possible that this may just be a side-effect of caching the thread list though.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 13, 2014

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Diabolik900 posted:

Thanks, but I already dug into the css and grabbed that. I've added the balls but I don't know when Pokeyman plans to push an update out since he's been working on other features. Unfortunately when you factor in app review time it could be a while before anyone gets them.

For future reference, you guys could include a css file from awfulapp.com and edit that with whatever seasonal changes you want.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Sereri posted:

For future reference, you guys could include a css file from awfulapp.com and edit that with whatever seasonal changes you want.

Could we? :smug:

Diabolik900 posted:

Here's a thought: for handling these type of things in the future, couldn't we @import a CSS file hosted at awfulapp.com so that we can update these kind of custom mod star type things without having to go through app review? Or maybe that would be overkill for something that's done pretty infrequently.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Well you made so many posts on this page my mind must've skipped this one :v:

Still, must be a good idea then.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Is tabBarBackgroundColor actually doing anything? I just wanted to see it with a slightly darker color than the navbar, because I feel like that might ease a lot of what bugs me, but changing the values don't seem to affect anything.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Update submitted!

Diabolik900 posted:

Definitely a good idea.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

So I've actually been using Awful long enough for a login cookie to expire. Nice to see that it threw me a pop-up about it about a week ago, but the behavior immediately following its expiration was unintuitive. While viewing the forums, the cookie expired, leading initially to (some) threads suddenly losing their unviewed post counts. When viewing these threads, Awful showed me the first page (fine, if you don't have the information about the last viewed post, it's a little hard to jump there). However, attempts to navigate to any other page failed (only the first page was ever visible) and after leaving the thread, returning to it would give an empty thread-view. I was not ever given a new log-in screen until I manually restarted the app.

Would it be possible to detect when the login cookie expires while browsing the forum and to redirect the user to the login pane (with an explanation, of course) instead of misleading the user into thinking that the app or forums are suddenly broken?

EDIT: Also, apparently, once threads are reset as being unviewed due to this behavior, they don't regain their unviewed post counts after re-logging-in until a manual refresh of the forum. I'm not sure if the threads with missing post counts behave badly when viewed (as I refreshed the forum before clicking on them). It's possible that this may just be a side-effect of caching the thread list though.

This is indeed handled very poorly! It's supposed to kick you back out to the login page as soon as it notices the missing login cookie, but that broke at some point. I'll add it to the list.

The Dave posted:

Is tabBarBackgroundColor actually doing anything? I just wanted to see it with a slightly darker color than the navbar, because I feel like that might ease a lot of what bugs me, but changing the values don't seem to affect anything.

I'll take a look, but the answer is "probably not". You're foiling my plan of appearing to give you control via Themes.plist while not actually implementing anything!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Dave posted:

Works On My Machine?

edit: In case that attachment never makes it,

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Will the suited update include footballs

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Will the suited update include footballs

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I'm triggering

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

pokeyman posted:

Works On My Machine?

edit: In case that attachment never makes it,

Ohhhh that's what that is. I meant the toolbar under the navbar that has like Parent Forum, Previous Post, and Scroll to End.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Dave posted:

Ohhhh that's what that is. I meant the toolbar under the navbar that has like Parent Forum, Previous Post, and Scroll to End.

That is postsTopBarBackgroundColor I believe.

I'm all for renaming keys if the names suck. Hardly set in stone. Just do a find/replace in Xcode for, in this case, theme[@"postsTopBarBackgroundColor"] and that handles the code.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sereri posted:

I suggested this about a million years ago.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Hey the app is working great for me and I love you but gifs destroy whatever thread I'm reading. If there's more than a few then the app becomes unresponsive for a few seconds periodically. If there are a million gifs I might as well restart my phone. Probably because I'm on an iphone 4.

I know you have the option to not load options, but I would love it if you had an option to just not load gifs, or keep them on the first frame until touching them???

Thanks bro.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Mike the TV posted:

Hey the app is working great for me and I love you but gifs destroy whatever thread I'm reading. If there's more than a few then the app becomes unresponsive for a few seconds periodically. If there are a million gifs I might as well restart my phone. Probably because I'm on an iphone 4.

I know you have the option to not load options, but I would love it if you had an option to just not load gifs, or keep them on the first frame until touching them???

Thanks bro.

We do have some plans for improving this. Basically it should be doable to only load them once you scroll them into view, then unload them after they're scrolled out of view. It's on the list!

Though I should bump it up the list so you iPhone 4 folk have something useful once Awful drops iOS 7.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
Whatever you did to fix the app has now broken the app for me, the guy whose app worked previously.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
The app's not working for me, I'm assuming it is because the forums are making GBS threads themselves with lots of database errors. It would be cool if the app handled the errors a little better than just displaying a blank thread with no error message.

edit: this was posted before it was super obvious that the forums were down :)

POCKET CHOMP fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 16, 2014

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

POCKET CHOMP posted:

The app's not working for me, I'm assuming it is because the forums are making GBS threads themselves with lots of database errors. It would be cool if the app handled the errors a little better than just displaying a blank thread with no error message.

edit: this was posted before it was super obvious that the forums were down :)

Guess what I spent a bit of time doing while the Forums were down? Next version actually reports database errors!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Sooo after the forums came back up I was logged out of Awful Beta and every time I tried to login I just got the login failed error. Deleted and redownloaded the app and now it crashes upon opening. I've deleted and reinstalled the latest beta three times and all it does is crash, even with rebooting my phone between deleting and re downloading.

I'm hoping im just missing something obvious due to it being 4.45am…

This was posted from the App Store version, it's only the beta that seems to be giving me pain.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

jojoinnit posted:

Sooo after the forums came back up I was logged out of Awful Beta and every time I tried to login I just got the login failed error. Deleted and redownloaded the app and now it crashes upon opening. I've deleted and reinstalled the latest beta three times and all it does is crash, even with rebooting my phone between deleting and re downloading.

I'm hoping im just missing something obvious due to it being 4.45am…

This was posted from the App Store version, it's only the beta that seems to be giving me pain.

That is a very impressive crash! I'll push out a new beta now that does a better job logging the crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
That happened to me too. I had to install beta #4, log in and then update to #5. Everything seems to work fine now.

• Locked thread