Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

LiquidRain posted:

Was not expecting Kunato to be the one to lose it. Cool back story exposition though, even if the director tried their drat hardest to make it difficult to follow it.

So our socially feckless protagonist is eternal but not photosynthetic?

Really? I thought it was as blatant as could be. Why did the one bridge attendant lady look like current-day Izana, though? Or was she a different character who is important?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

UP AND ADAM posted:

Really? I thought it was as blatant as could be. Why did the one bridge attendant lady look like current-day Izana, though? Or was she a different character who is important?

The geneticist in the flashback is Izana's grandmother, and she is also extremely important to the story.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well, poo poo. Looks like the peaceniks might have been right about the Kabizashi after all.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, poo poo. Looks like the peaceniks might have been right about the Kabizashi after all.

They're right about some things and really wrong about others.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wow, I really needed this refresher. I thought I remembered the placenta's eyes always tracking Tanikaze wherever he went.

Darth Walrus posted:

Remember that the Gauna attacked Earth and the other generation ships before they found the kabizashi, so there's still a major hole in that theory. The zoom-out at the end seems to imply it's the "smart" Hoshijiro using the captured one to keep an eye on them, which makes sense when they're the only thing that could destroy her.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 7, 2014

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

As a lover of the manga, I have to say I'm sadden but also glad they went the ~montage~ route for this part of the plot. Sure you miss out on some characterization of the pilots you see around Nagate during the news reels as well as the strategy/technology upgrades, but it's going to set up a great season finale and hopefully the show gets picked up for more seasons.

Sindai posted:

Remember that the Gauna attacked Earth and the other generation ships before they found the kabizashi, so there's still a major hole in that theory. The zoom-out at the end seems to imply it's the "smart" Hoshijiro using the captured one to keep an eye on them, which makes sense when they're the only thing that could destroy her.

Right, there was something else that humanity discovered then that they use to this day that also attract the Gauna.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That only follows if they really are attacking because of the kabi instead of just curious about it because it kind of turns them into biofoam bubbles

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Tyberius posted:

Right, there was something else that humanity discovered then that they use to this day that also attract the Gauna.

Is it all the Higgs stuff? That pilot said they also use it as an energy source.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The Gauna also use Higgs particles so it's possible I guess? Maybe they learned that capability from absorbing and replicating human stuff, like how they made Benisuzume.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

muike posted:

That only follows if they really are attacking because of the kabi instead of just curious about it because it kind of turns them into biofoam bubbles

The idea of turning into biofoam is strangely appealing. Personally I feel that the Gauna are portrayed as alien enough that you shouldn't make any assumptions about what they might want, including the assumption that they don't want to die. Maybe they're immortal, bored, and humanity stole their last stash of suicide pills?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'd love to see a first contact disaster movie that was just a giant Gauna belly flopping onto a city.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Dr_Amazing posted:

I'd love to see a first contact disaster movie that was just a giant Gauna belly flopping onto a city.

He just wanted to hug the city. :(

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Wow, what the gently caress is going to happen next episode?

I didn't want to quote the post two posts up, but yeah, probably something like that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
They totally planted a kabi aboard the refugee ship to discredit the anti-war faction, didn't they?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Darth Walrus posted:

They totally planted a kabi aboard the refugee ship to discredit the anti-war faction, didn't they?

I would think those are too precious to waste like that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I would think those are too precious to waste like that.

Except that they mentioned this very episode that they're now mass-producible enough to be used as ammunition rather than melee weapons.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Darth Walrus posted:

Except that they mentioned this very episode that they're now mass-producible enough to be used as ammunition rather than melee weapons.

Oh, woops. I'm behind on the show and didn't want to mention anything related to what you just said in case it hadn't happened yet. :saddowns:

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
They did a great job adapting Izana's dream sequence halfway through the episode. The voice actress really nailed it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The episode felt rather disjointed; I presume there were a bunch of chapters jammed together in it?

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I think they make it pretty clear in the manga, somewhere around chapter 50 or so, what it is that attracts the Guana to humanity. I'll leave it at that; however, I'm pretty sure that the captain did not do anything nefarious toward the colony ship. She might not like them, but there is no real reason for her to kill a hundred thousand people. Why would you want to destroy something that might possibly be humanity's last hope one day?

I also would love to see this anime continue. There is one new character introduced later on that is just outright hilarious. Also, Nagate continues to be a loving punching bag. Anyone know what the hell those things are on that mechanic-woman's head are? Goggles? Some kind of wetware?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dan7el posted:

I think they make it pretty clear in the manga, somewhere around chapter 50 or so, what it is that attracts the Guana to humanity. I'll leave it at that; however, I'm pretty sure that the captain did not do anything nefarious toward the colony ship. She might not like them, but there is no real reason for her to kill a hundred thousand people. Why would you want to destroy something that might possibly be humanity's last hope one day?

Well, Sidonia's leadership seem dead-set on waging a war of extermination against the Gauna, so having a supposedly kabi-free colony ship get ripped apart would provide a serious propaganda setback for the 'ditch the spears and run like hell' faction. The captain even muses on this when Tanikaze goes out to be a hero.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, Sidonia's leadership seem dead-set on waging a war of extermination against the Gauna, so having a supposedly kabi-free colony ship get ripped apart would provide a serious propaganda setback for the 'ditch the spears and run like hell' faction. The captain even muses on this when Tanikaze goes out to be a hero.

True, that's why the premise is feasible, but I do think the captain's character has been drawn to be ultimately compassionate to humanity, even if she has been shown to have taken desperate (and probably misguided) actions to keep it safe.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Also, I want to add that it's one thing to say to a child running on wet concrete next to a pool, "Hey stop running or you'll slip and fall." and then, they keep running and you know they'll fall. When they do, they'll probably learn a lesson about running in bare feet on wet concrete.

And they do fall. And you go and pick them up as the cry and console them, knowing they've learned their lesson. It's another to see the same kid and stick out your leg and trip them, or push them down while they run on slippery concrete and say, "See? I told you you'd fall."

The Captain is pretty sure that things won't go well for the colonists, but she's not the kind of person who'd intentionally sabotage their endeavor to prove herself right. Don't get me wrong, she's quite capable of being ruthless and deadly if she needs to be, though. She knows that they're being stupid and deserve to die, yet she lets Nagate go out and save them anyway -- even if their deaths would prove her right and them wrong. Yes, she admits that she feels that way, but she does what's right anyway. All she had to do was not authorize Nagate's launch, but she did authorize it. There was no way any "normal" knight could have saved the colonists. She would not be at fault at all if she let them die.

Sidonia has been at war with an enemy they can neither understand nor communicate with. This enemy has hounded them through space for hundreds of years and killed untold thousands of humans. It's understandable that the captain, who has fought thees things for a thousand years, wants to kill them all.

With that said, I love the way the story has these "peace-niks" who essentially believe, based on faith alone, that if they go out, into the wilds of space, weaponless, that the Gauna will simply leave them alone because the peace-niks "mean well". And hell, that's all you need, right? You'd expect the same thing to happen in any society.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Deserve to die? Really?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Kill The Gauna Rip Their Guts

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Dan7el posted:

With that said, I love the way the story has these "peace-niks" who essentially believe, based on faith alone, that if they go out, into the wilds of space, weaponless, that the Gauna will simply leave them alone because the peace-niks "mean well". And hell, that's all you need, right? You'd expect the same thing to happen in any society.

The vast majority of Sidonia's population are pretty much fresh out of the vat/accelerated breeding programs from only a generation or two ago and have no enduring memory of the Gauna wars besides what the history books tell them.

I can totally understand desperately wanting to believe that maybe there's a way to just live in peace somewhere instead of being trapped into a hellish nightmare eternity of fleeing into the unknown darkness for fear of being devoured by countless unfathomable invincible space monsters.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Holy poo poo. Bear Lady is loving awesome. I really hope she sticks around.

Edit: In Episode 9, with all the photos, did they basically skip past a whole bunch of victories as a timeskip?

Artificer fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 16, 2014

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Artificer posted:

Edit: In Episode 9, with all the photos, did they basically skip past a whole bunch of victories as a timeskip?
Yeah, someone indicated as much earlier on.

I don't know whether it's getting better or whether I'm getting used to it, but the weird CGI hardly bothers me anymore.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Artificer posted:

Episode 9 was a "Benisuzume attacks the Sidonia a whole bunch in various ways and Tanikaze grows from novice to celebrated ace by saving Sidonia time and time again but we don't really have time to show a bunch of in-between fights if we're going to get to our desired endpoint in our tiny episode run" montage. By the time that Episode 10 occurs in the story Tanikaze is basically the most decorated and important pilot on Sidonia, which is one reason why Izana (ep10)says "I'm not like you" and has cold feet about piloting; Tanikaze has proven to be effectively invincible but new pilots still die by the truckload.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 16, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Poor Tanikaze, if only that simulator had a dating sim, he'd at least know not to double-book.

Artificer posted:

Holy poo poo. Bear Lady is loving awesome. I really hope she sticks around.
Bearmom isn't the best character in Sidonia, but she's close.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013
Who says this show is badly animated?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I appreciate the animation on the show for a lot of the little touches that I imagine come 'free' with the 3D modeling. For example, Izana swinging her legs while she sits adds a lot of character, doesn't cost anything to animate, and gets done well. (properly shadowed/no cut frames/etc)

Using the Smooth Video Project decoder makes the show look a lot better, though, even though I usually hate all kinds of frame interpolation.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 17, 2014

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
Episode 11's out.

I CANT BELIEVE THEY CUT IT THERE :argh:

The tension in this episode...they've taken one of the best fights from the manga and made it even better. I'm glad they've made changes and I'm hoping this gets another season to see what else they can do.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Yeah, I had my reservations about the pacing and direction early on, but the series really seems to have hit its stride.

I'm also really liking the contrasts they're showing between Yuhuta and the Captain's strategic approaches. They've both got similar attitudes, but Yuhuta seems to be making use of her resources significantly better in order to avoid the kind of casualties the Captain incurred earlier.

It's also interesting to see Izana actually having reservations about being a pilot despite usually being completely gung-ho about everything. I'll have to re-read this section of the manga, but I feel like everyone is actually getting some more characterization than they did there.

Well, not Tanikaze - he's still as much of a cardboard cutout as he ever was and seems to just be repeating the same interactions over and over. How many times has the Captain asked him to defend Sidonia at this point? She keeps asking but I don't ever get the sense he was having second thoughts. Or really any thoughts at all on the matter.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Joshlemagne posted:

Who says this show is badly animated?

Also I'm starting to get a feeling that council of masked zombies just might be a bunch of dicks.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Pyradox posted:

Well, not Tanikaze - he's still as much of a cardboard cutout as he ever was and seems to just be repeating the same interactions over and over. How many times has the Captain asked him to defend Sidonia at this point? She keeps asking but I don't ever get the sense he was having second thoughts. Or really any thoughts at all on the matter.

The Captain is deeply worried that Tanikaze is going to take after Grandpa and say gently caress The Police, so she suspects ulterior motives from him that he doesn't seem to have.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Sydnesider posted:

hey've taken one of the best fights from the manga and made it even better.

Really? :psyduck: To me I think its clear now that despite the CG they don't have the budget to actually do anything with this series.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
What do you mean? I think the battles look pretty good given the limits of cheap CGI.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm currently about to start episode 9. Thought so far:

Episode 4: :wtc:

The Sephiroth knockoff needs to die immediately. I don't think I've hated a character that much in a long time. I'll be jumping into the manga after I finish the anime episodes currently out, I only hope he's had a horrible death in it after having his reputation ruined.

The CGI style threw me off a bit early on, but I'm used to it now and kind of digging it.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

NowonSA posted:

The Sephiroth knockoff needs to die immediately.

Bishie rear end in a top hat is cool. And it is a welcome addition to this 99% female show. Assholes are the spice of this kinda show.

• Locked thread