Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You'd think more of Dio's Stand users would target Joseph considering how much Dio is worried about the Joestars.
The old gently caress with the weakling stand? Screw that, there's a couple other dudes who can beat your rear end to the ground instantly.

I wish Joseph had more opportunity to shine in part 3. Maybe the anime could have a filler scene where he kicks some vampire rear end or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why would Dio consider him a threat? If anything Dio looks at him as a walking sack of blood.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I guess so. A number of Stand users do tend to target Jotaro (and Polnareff) primarily, though, so I guess they're doing what Dio would want anyway.

Soulcleaver posted:

I wish Joseph had more opportunity to shine in part 3.

You know what would've been great? If he was the one who had fought Alessi. We could've had BT Joseph return for a short while.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I think it's interesting how many characters have ridiculously powerful stands but are too dumb to use it effectively like the Sun or the Hand.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You know what would've been great? If he was the one who had fought Alessi. We could've had BT Joseph return for a short while.
Alessi even had a submachine gun, which would be perfect for calling back to that one time Joseph shot up Straits and smashed his face in. Araki would have probably found a different way for Joseph to dispatch Alessi, though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's actually the story of Young Jospeh's arcade mode in the Part 3 fighter, Alessi de-ages him and he just goes along wrecking face.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
The faces of the other Crusaders and Alessi, to be specific. ASB really missed out by not including ridiculous "What If" scenarios.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

Does anyone know the opera song from Caesar's death episode in the Battle Tendency anime?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Il Mare Eterno Nella Mia Anima

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72mWNRs5jBw

Also you might be in the wrong thread if you're spoiler tagging Caesar's death, this is the manga thread.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

Cheers. And yeah, I'm spoiler tagging a 30 year old manga because people seem to go back and read part 1 and 2 after starting on stardust crusaders.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Fair enough.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

I can only think of one thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcHA1YWX_8U

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Soulcleaver posted:

The old gently caress with the weakling stand? Screw that, there's a couple other dudes who can beat your rear end to the ground instantly.

I wish Joseph had more opportunity to shine in part 3. Maybe the anime could have a filler scene where he kicks some vampire rear end or something.

There's no such thing as a "weak Stand."

Besides, the actual weakest Stand is Survivor.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have some cash burning a hole on my pocket right now. How is the AllStarBattle videogame?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you want a million references to everything you know about JoJo then it's good for that. Otherwise it's just another bad licensed anime fighter. It's made by the dudes who made the Naruto fighters though, so if you had fun with those you might like All Star Battle too.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
But it's not really anything like the Naruto games? :confused:

It's more like Street Fighter 4 with sidestepping, really. Singleplayer content is kinda nonexistent with a text-based story mode where you loosely go through the entire saga and beat challenges. There's also the Campaign mode where you fight online other players' character AIs in order to unlock new customization options such as clothes, taunts and SFX. You use those to make your custom poses used to intimidate your opponent fabulously. :v:

It's a fun fighter with a ton of characters but it's kinda lackluster in singleplayer content which only exists to kinda be there and being able to unlock other characters. Some are available only as DLC, which is lame but they also play a lot differently than the rest.

If you have friends who like fighting games and Jojo then go for it! If you really, really like Jojo then go for it! It's a great fan service product.

e:
vvvv Yeah, I definitely agree there vvvv

The game feels like something Araki would design.

jyrque fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 15, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

jyrque posted:

But it's not really anything like the Naruto games? :confused:

Sorry, let me clarify. It is like the Naruto games in that the best parts of it are not the actual game. It is the parts where CC2 put a ton of work into how nice everything looks and it shows. There's a ton of love for the source material and a ton of work put into how everything looks, sounds, and the cinematics. It is the definition of style over substance.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
If you know how to play it's really fun. It's just not for everyone. Your not a fan for example.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
You should give the demo a try beforehand so you know what to expect. You'll get Phantom Blood Dio, Caesar and Jotaro as selectable characters and they all play pretty differently.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I finished reading Steel Ball Run last night and the final battle was amazing.

Lucy Steel ended up being my favorite character, as well as Stephen.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 15, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsterEnvy posted:

If you know how to play it's really fun. It's just not for everyone. Your not a fan for example.

I know how to play the game and it is still not fun. I will agree though it is not for everyone and some people will enjoy it more than I did.

Perigryn posted:

You should give the demo a try beforehand so you know what to expect. You'll get Phantom Blood Dio, Caesar and Jotaro as selectable characters and they all play pretty differently.

This is probably for the best, yeah. There is a demo up where you can play between three different characters and you get about four fights in each demo that should give you a good idea of what you're getting.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I finished reading Steel Ball Run last night and the final battle was amazing.

Lucy Steel ended up being my favorite character, as well as Stephen.

The Steels being compelling characters was not something I entirely expected going in, especially not the roles they would play. They were a pleasant surprise.

CaptainFish
Mar 31, 2011

It's Psy-Crow my mortal Enemy! I swear my soily vengeance upon him and his fowl ilk!
I liked the Funny Valentine stuff fine, but I wasn't a huge fan of the Diego stuff. I kinda preferred his weird dino powers over what happened at the end.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
A friend of mine has been busy working on some stands of late so i figured i might as well share!

http://witnesstheabsurd.tumblr.com/post/88218931555/witnesstheabsurd-jojo-antagonist-stands-i-am

Shes got a bunch more of them here.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Silver Chariot is loving horrifying when you really look at him.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Patware posted:

Silver Chariot is absolutely my favorite stand design visually. The overall mechanical knight look hits the "lanky robots are awesome" part of my brain, but the eyes are what really sell it. Composition of a shot can imply some emotion by using the angle of the eye holes in the armor (tilt head down, angry eyebrows are implied!), but the eyes are essentially dead and as mechanical as the rest of the stand despite looking organic (which is inherently unsettling). It's a fantastic piece of design, and I love how it contrasts with how expressive and open Polnareff is.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

CaptainFish posted:

I liked the Funny Valentine stuff fine, but I wasn't a huge fan of the Diego stuff. I kinda preferred his weird dino powers over what happened at the end.

Yeah, Diego didn't really get into a very serious fight until the very end.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I didn't like AU Diego either. That whole section felt incredibly tacked on and used only for fanservice/showing off Tusk Act IV a bit more.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Personally I thought it was great. It was a cool twist, and somehow it seemed very fitting that even after everything that happened Johnny still lost.

Also there's something amazing about Dio losing due to his severed head.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Finally finished part 4. It was good and I can't wait for the aliens to probably never be mentioned again, just like the ripple, vampires and cyborgs.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

LordLeckie posted:

A friend of mine has been busy working on some stands of late so i figured i might as well share!

Is The World supposed to be in 3d?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Personally I thought it was great. It was a cool twist, and somehow it seemed very fitting that even after everything that happened Johnny still lost.

Also there's something amazing about Dio losing due to his severed head.

There was a such a huge HOLY poo poo moment when he appeared. It was fanservice but drat I'll take it

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

MelvinBison posted:

Is The World supposed to be in 3d?

I dunno, look around you. :v:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I wasn't really on-board with Alterate Diego when he first showed up, but then we got fangirl bodyguards and I realised we're dealing with the best Dio and that it was almost a shame he died so quickly. But then as Blitz mentioned having Dio unceremoniously killed by a character without any super powers or anything was great too.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Alternate Diego would probably have been better if we had seen him in a non-combat setting. Diego was a much more well-rounded character than Dio because he actually occasionally interacted with the heroes without trying to kill them and even became something of an anti-hero towards the end.

I was spoiled on The World appearing in SBR, but I still got excited as gently caress when I realized it was happening.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Patware posted:

His helmet resembling Jagi's from Fist of the North Star doesn't exactly help.

CaptainFish
Mar 31, 2011

It's Psy-Crow my mortal Enemy! I swear my soily vengeance upon him and his fowl ilk!
Looking back over the AU Diego fight, it does have it's moments. It's just that there's been a lot of time stopping since 3 and there's been a lot of more interesting niche stands as well. Steel Ball Run arguably does time stop better than anything in 4 or 6, but it's still an old stand. The way he gets defeated is really great, though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Perigryn posted:

His helmet resembling Jagi's from Fist of the North Star doesn't exactly help.

I thought Sir Daniel Fortesque myself.

On AU Diego fight, I thought it was a really silly twist up until the fight with him and Johnny actually started and it was the most radical thing. Just all the poo poo he does with the time stop and the fact he is able to figure out Tusk Act 4 made me really excited to see that this was just Dio and not meant to be Diego. Then the way he gets killed is amazing and hilariously fitting for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Zero_Tactility posted:

Silver Chariot is absolutely my favorite stand design visually. The overall mechanical knight look hits the "lanky robots are awesome" part of my brain, but the eyes are what really sell it. Composition of a shot can imply some emotion by using the angle of the eye holes in the armor (tilt head down, angry eyebrows are implied!), but the eyes are essentially dead and as mechanical as the rest of the stand despite looking organic (which is inherently unsettling). It's a fantastic piece of design, and I love how it contrasts with how expressive and open Polnareff is.

Same, out of all the stands in the series Silver Chariot stands as my favorite. There is something both noble and terrifying about it depending on the mood of the scene. The 1990's Stardust Crusaders really showed how freaking intimidating Silver Chariot can be (even if this version of the scene is non-canon) during the climax of the Hanged Man fight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C8V2pM0-pU

• Locked thread