Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Holy poo poo, those dice were out for blood.

Also, some surprising mercy. On multiple counts.

EDIT: Update on previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Oof, I finally find an internet for the first time in over a week and I see that things have turned a bit grim. That unknown assault is a total monster. Even with the mercy shown by PTN that Kodiak is about dead with that gyro hit and extremely exposed CT. Add to that the half missing Bane and the increasingly ragged Dire Wolves....

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Oh, that Crab wants to dance? I'll dance.

Planning on moving two hexes North into the Forest hex for additional cover and then firing all LRMs at the Crab,wherever it may be. It moved 9 points last round and so it doesn't look like I can outrun OR outmaneuver it. Probably can't avoid giving it my rear so I think I will find as much cover as I can and just shoot at it with all my missiles and see. Thoughts?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Yep, they really are Manei Domini.

Kodiak pilot, you're almost certainly going to die, so I suggest a full alpha against the Assault with the Lance. Drag him down to hell with you.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

Artificer posted:

Oh, that Crab wants to dance? I'll dance.

Planning on moving two hexes North into the Forest hex for additional cover and then firing all LRMs at the Crab,wherever it may be. It moved 9 points last round and so it doesn't look like I can outrun OR outmaneuver it. Probably can't avoid giving it my rear so I think I will find as much cover as I can and just shoot at it with all my missiles and see. Thoughts?

It's 6/9. Always, always give target orders. Particular with ACE units around. If you move to 1724 and face north he can't get behind you. Don't give up your back to him, just make him duel and then punish him.

That gyro hit hurts. Looks like stand and deliver time for the Kodiak. Luckily he's have some help this turn.

Kial fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 16, 2014

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I wondered why Arty didn't send any contingency orders to shoot in case the ACE Crab decided to attack him that turn. Whoops.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Just noticed the other 100 ton has entered the building. Oh dear.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I like your style. But, since it's the NRWR, perhaps sharkhunting is a bit too counter to the brief? Can't go around shooting national symbols. Maybe call it, Iunno...

SHARKMASTER.

Then cheese the gently caress out of a Mark II variant to the point that no one will let you use it in tabletop. Call it the Sharkjumper.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hey, uh, reading over that story segment makes me wonder....is it possible that the NRWR are actually the good guys overall?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

jng2058 posted:

Hey, uh, reading over that story segment makes me wonder....is it possible that the NRWR are actually the good guys overall?

http://youtu.be/hn1VxaMEjRU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I'd hesitate to call any faction in Battletech the 'good guys'. We know very little about the NRWR so it's probably a little early to be making judgements about them. What we do know is that Amaris appears to be a thinking man who reward competence in his subordinates, but he's also an armchair general with a hinted ruthless streak. There are probably a good number of skeletons in the NRWR's closet same as the other Great Houses.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
BattleTech has no good guys. We each have to choose which type of utter shithead we feel most comfortable sympathizing with, is all.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Robots inside bigger robots! When will the madness end?!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Maybe there's a smaller robot inside, even still.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I wondered why Arty didn't send any contingency orders to shoot in case the ACE Crab decided to attack him that turn. Whoops.

I did. I thought that I was going to lose LOS on him this turn, so my contingency orders were to fire on any targets that appeared in my LOS. I suppose I didn't account for the Crab still being in LOS to me and so I had my contingency orders set as "Contingency fire orders: If there is a target that I have LOS on, fire on the closest such target with all LRM tubes. Doesn't seem to be the case though." I guess I should've ordered my mech to TURN if necessary though. :negative:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Artificer posted:

I did. I thought that I was going to lose LOS on him this turn, so my contingency orders were to fire on any targets that appeared in my LOS. I suppose I didn't account for the Crab still being in LOS to me and so I had my contingency orders set as "Contingency fire orders: If there is a target that I have LOS on, fire on the closest such target with all LRM tubes. Doesn't seem to be the case though." I guess I should've ordered my mech to TURN if necessary though. :negative:

Oof, didn't realize that. Maybe it was about not specifying a torso-twist.

Oh, well. Now I'm just wondering if there's a blind spot you've got to worry about.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Oh, well. Now I'm just wondering if there's a blind spot you've got to worry about.

Yeah in retrospect I should have specified "and turn/flip arms if necessary to aim at closest available target."

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I don't think torso twisting has to be put in orders.

At least, I haven't been doing so. It would increase player mistakes to insane levels if that was the case.

PTN can clear it up. It's possible he didn't accept the targeting order as valid? Not sure.

The Kodiak might want to consider hitting the 'fire everything' button.

Kial fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 16, 2014

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Kial posted:

I don't think torso twisting has to be put in orders.

At least, I haven't been doing so. It would increase player mistakes to insane levels if that was the case.

PTN can clear it up. It's possible he didn't accept the targeting order as valid? Not sure.

Well last time with the Coyote I specifically said "arm flip or torso twist in whatever direction necessary" so maybe that was what I should've done here.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

MML seems to think that BA partial wing lets you cram on a 4th point. The AP mount isn't required because the troopers are literally just holding the gun in armored gloves, which let you do anything you can do with your hands normally just with some slight power assist. If the MP is a tool error just stick the extra weight in armor because it has nowhere else to go.

Ah, I thought it was in an anti personnel mount because next to the Mauser in the weapons bit it says (APM) next to it.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
It's Lurmsgeddon all over again :(

Is there a way to reliably avoid indirect fire?

EDIT: I think the target was too generic? If think PTN specified that "if I see somebody" is not a valid target when we were discussing "Longbows in the Woods" a couple of turns ago.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jun 16, 2014

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ultimatum: Tactical Update 24

She’d trained under worse conditions and seen more friends killed by in trials than she cared to remember. As long as she still breathed nothing would deter her.

I think this word is superfluous.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

That Italian Guy posted:

It's Lurmsgeddon all over again :(

EDIT: I think the target was too generic? If think PTN specified that "if I see somebody" is not a valid target when we were discussing "Longbows in the Woods" a couple of turns ago.

That makes sense. My bad, guys.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Shoeless posted:

Ah, I thought it was in an anti personnel mount because next to the Mauser in the weapons bit it says (APM) next to it.

I think that's just MML weirdness abstracting armored gloves as an integrated APM. On the crit diagram its attached to one of the gloves and would let me stick one on the other glove if I was feeling silly.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jun 16, 2014

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The NRWR are the good guys or at least the good guys in this fight and I'll brook no argument. :colbert:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Whatever force is opposing the Clans is automatically the good guys. You could be fighting the Word of Blake and they'd be the good guys as long as they're fighting the Clans.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

That Italian Guy posted:

You're going to have to grin and take it. The good news is one of the LRMs is down, and that Longbow might shot me instead.

Probably best to just plow ahead. You can probably kill the Chameleon in 1507, maybe from 1406?

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
code:
X10 Stalker
IS Advanced

BV: 42
Cost: 497,900 C-bills

Movement: 3/0

Internal: 1
Armor: 6

Weapon					Loc  	Heat
--------------------------------------------
Swarm Mek				Squad     0
Attack Swarmed Mek			Squad     0
Stop Swarm Attack			Squad     0
Leg Attack				Squad     0
Automatic Shotgun (APM) (Left arm)      Squad     0
Automatic Shotgun (APM) (Right arm)     Squad     0
Flamer (Right arm)                      Squad     3

Equipment                      		Loc
---------------------------------------------
Battle Claw (Left arm)                  Squad
Battle Claw (Right arm)                 Squad
Anti Personnel Weapon Mount (Left arm)  Squad
Anti Personnel Weapon Mount (Right arm) Squad
Demolition Charge (Body)                Squad
Demolition Charge (Body)
Having trouble with a psychotic soldier endanger the rest of the squad with his insane thirst for blood? Look no further than the X10 Stalker designed for the 'problematic' soldier! Indulge his desire for carnage with a battle armour designed for maximum havoc! With the X10 Stalker, there will be blood! Twin Battle Claws insure gaping wounds and flying body parts, while the automatic shotguns bring new meaning to 'spray and pray'! For the pyromaniacs among us, the Flamer will bring forth the cries of burning soldiers, civilians, and anyone else in the vicinity!

The X10 Stalker excels in close combat conditions in urban environments. Simple send him forth in the right direction, and make him your enemies problem! Follow the trail of blood and gore, preferably long after he's moved on. When the enemy finally punches though the X10 Stalker's thick armour, your man won't be able to resist going out with a bang with the patented C23 Suicide Vest! It'll take out his attackers, the building he's in, and possibly the rest of the block! Watch the handwork from a distance, and know that you've killed two birds with one stone. Order today!

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Gimmick Account posted:

I think this word is superfluous.

Nah, PTN is saying that Clan Commando has seen worse conditions in training, and friends killed by said worse conditions in hosed up honour-duels, more frequently than she can count. I can only assume, consequently, that clan culture is like a Rube Goldberg machine of death

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

mercenarynuker posted:

Nah, PTN is saying that Clan Commando has seen worse conditions in training, and friends killed by said worse conditions in hosed up honour-duels, more frequently than she can count. I can only assume, consequently, that clan culture is like a Rube Goldberg machine of death

If you're Doing It Right in Clan society, you're dead by 35.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Which Clan was it that had an initiation rite where new warriors had to run at another dude holding a sword pointed at them? :v:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

mercenarynuker posted:

I can only assume, consequently, that clan culture is like a Rube Goldberg machine of death

Correct! There's a line of thought that this was the Kerenskys' plan all along, take the soldiers far away and euthanase them.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

T.G. Xarbala posted:

He did, sort-of, but That Italian Guy is correct. "Any target in line-of-sight" isn't a valid target for a number of reasons.

Chronojam posted:

Maybe there's a smaller robot inside, even still.

A smaller robot... made of flesh and blood! :tinfoil:

Scintilla posted:

Which Clan was it that had an initiation rite where new warriors had to run at another dude holding a sword pointed at them? :v:

The Jade Falcons. I maintain that the first book of the Jade Phoenix Trilogy was intended to highlight how hosed-up and insane the Clans were; and the other two were written because money.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 16, 2014

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Jade Falcons. I maintain that the first book of the Jade Phoenix Trilogy was intended to highlight how hosed-up and insane the Clans were; and the other two were written because money.

The Ghost Bears are the sanest people in the entire Battletech universe. :colbert:

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Robots inside bigger robots! When will the madness end?!

http://youtu.be/vd22Qa7gqRo?t=5m20s

In any case, I look forward to seeing you all in Hell. I don't think I have any actual movement options at this point, so I think it's time to just stand and deliver. Unless I can back down a hill and make him chase me closer in to the Atlas?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Zeroisanumber posted:

The Ghost Bears are the sanest people in the entire Battletech universe. :colbert:

"What forces do you bid?"

"Uh... we don't have any 'Mechs or soldiers or any weapons at all, really. Would you be willing to play a game of football for control of the world instead?"

"... Your terms are acceptable."

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
You can't back down hills, unfortunately. Your best hope is that the Atlas IIC draws enough fire or somehow baits the TSM Lance, and I'm not sure he can get close enough to do that.

Still, there's a decent chance the TSM Lance could miss; and there's a fairly good chance he'll try to double his odds of hitting your center torso by punching instead.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Ok, he can't back down a hill so all the math I did is useless. =D

The only thing to do is unload methinks. Since your chance of living is so low, you could fire almost everything.

Everything except the ER LL (bad heat to damage ratio) would leave you on (40 + 14 + 4 + 4), assuming the Streaks hit) 22 heat. Add a extra 6 or so for the two Plasmas ....

It's bad, but since you're about to die it might be worth it. You could leave out one ER ML and make it somewhat manageable in the unlikely event of living. Or just go whole hog.

It's a lot of damage.

I'll have a look at possible moves and see if anything jumps out.

Kial fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 16, 2014

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I'd say just Alpha. You have a wide open torso and the Assault has a Snub-Nosed PPC that can destroy it in one hit. As can its Plasma Rifle. And if they miss the LB-10X will fill it full of crits. And that's before the physical combat starts. And then there's the second Assault waiting in the wings...

It sucks, but I really wouldn't count on surviving this next turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Stand and deliver, fire everything without moving a foot, and trust your fate to the dice (ho ho ho). The amount of damage you should put out will be disgusting and should hopefully put that one enemy down, and you could always get lucky to not die horribly to his return fire :shobon:
(But you will prooobably blow up from overheating since you'll be at 34 heat without any plasma rifle hits :shepface: )

• Locked thread