Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Prison Warden posted:

I imagined that the two tails on the speech bubble was because Scrapdragon was using his own voice and Max's voice at the same time.

I read a lot of crappy (and one or two good) manga and have been a Game of Thrones fan for years, so believe me when I say that Max also being possessed by a hitherto unknown and unseen second gunman spirit is one of the dumbest theories I've ever heard.

Max falls back, and to the left.

Back, and to the left.

Back, and to the left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And then passes his bat from one hand to the other mid-air.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
That kind of human ricochet isn't natural. I think we need to seriously consider the possibility of a second magnet snake spirit.

Really though I take the last row of panels to indicate a spirit tossing Max upwards at the last moment he was still in scrap world, so that he wouldn't die from the momentum.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

The train is going to disappear underground then Johnny and co. are going to show up and find Max laying on the railroad tracks like some kinda weird nerd.

The technical term is pervert lizard.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Fecha posted:

That kind of human ricochet isn't natural. I think we need to seriously consider the possibility of a second magnet snake spirit.

Really though I take the last row of panels to indicate a spirit tossing Max upwards at the last moment he was still in scrap world, so that he wouldn't die from the momentum.

I think you are right because the same purple aura surrounds him both when he is tossed off the train and when he is lifted.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If that's the case, though, then why all the big mystery?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Also the aura around Max really doesn't seem to mean a whole lot. Based on how Isabel described producing spectral energy as "flexing without moving", at best it represents when someone is really tense and far more often seems to just be used (especially with Max) to help Zach indicate motion and direction. Which is the meat and potatoes of what it's doing in this last page.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Also the aura around Max really doesn't seem to mean a whole lot. Based on how Isabel described producing spectral energy as "flexing without moving", at best it represents when someone is really tense and far more often seems to just be used (especially with Max) to help Zach indicate motion and direction. Which is the meat and potatoes of what it's doing in this last page.

This is kinda right, Spectrals give off a consistent stream of energy 24/7. Even when it appears to flare up in the art that's just a way to dramatically indicate strong emotion in the character or whatever. Zack has said in some far off stream that the amount of energy a spectral gives off doesn't actually change, and there's no way to alter it (as far as we know).

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

YES bread posted:

This is kinda right, Spectrals give off a consistent stream of energy 24/7. Even when it appears to flare up in the art that's just a way to dramatically indicate strong emotion in the character or whatever. Zack has said in some far off stream that the amount of energy a spectral gives off doesn't actually change, and there's no way to alter it (as far as we know).

It's one of the weirdest parts of the story, honestly, because it feels like it should be important but it (thus far) hasn't really meant anything at all. I guess that's the point? I can't fault an artist for taking dramatic shortcuts.

Steel_
May 30, 2014
Update: http://www.paranatural.net/index.php?id=267

I don't think terms like 'dog' or 'cat' are really relevant any more.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wow when Isabel goes all-out kill mode she is a crazy good innovative fighter.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

As can be seen from fig. 1 - a kick, a backflip, and a punch.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
The alt text on this page is absolute perfection.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Maybe a train tracks isn't the best place to be unconscious, having visions of his mother.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!

scalded schlong posted:

As can be seen from fig. 1 - a kick, a backflip, and a punch.
Don't forget. It's a kick that sends a specral arrow right through it's jaw.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Brace for hardcore nightmare fuel. I mean, you know. On Friday. Maybe save the bracing for Thirsday night.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

ProfessorProf posted:

The alt text on this page is absolute perfection.

What is it, cause I'm getting nothing.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Leper Residue posted:

What is it, cause I'm getting nothing.

"can i borrow some money"

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

pik_d posted:

"can i borrow some money"

Awesome.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Incoming Johnny.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Meowjesty posted:

Incoming Johnny.

Johnny is Max's mom? :eyepop:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought that :allears:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
I want to make it very clear that when I suggested Max was possessed by his mom, I was just kidding. And I am so very, very sorry if it comes true.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Buncha questions about Paranatural answered on tumblr

http://firstnamezacklastnamemorrison.tumblr.com/post/89000023293/asks

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Zack Morrison posted:

Isaac’s the worst at spectral energy stuff in the group, yeah. He’s OK.

Paranatural Ch4 pg36 posted:

That's pretty bad, huh? :v:

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Zack Morrison posted:

It is a spectrum, and you can use whatever color you’re close to. The spirit heals faster the closer your color matches theirs. Example coming up before the end of the chapter.

That's an interesting note on spectral energy. I wonder how that works with black and white spectral energy?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Re: Mayview ghosts and spirits:

quote:

A little more than normal, which might not make sense for now, but it will be explained. It’s not a big amazing secret or anything.

Huh, I was assuming Mayview was a super-spiritual hotbed and that would comprise one of the series's mysteries, but I guess not.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Steel_ posted:

Update: http://www.paranatural.net/index.php?id=267

I don't think terms like 'dog' or 'cat' are really relevant any more.

They almost look like some kind of mobile skinned reptile head, with the original eyes forming the nostrils.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Oh god drat I didn't catch the cursed words/curse words. :doh:

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
It still bugs me how black and white are spectral colors when they're not actually on the color spectrum.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

There is a pretty decent chance that the next panel is going to have Max's mom turn around but not with Max's mom's face. Who's it gonna be? Scrapdragon? A freaky empty void? Johnny?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Dolash posted:

There is a pretty decent chance that the next panel is going to have Max's mom turn around but not with Max's mom's face. Who's it gonna be? Scrapdragon? A freaky empty void? Johnny?

Always bet on Johnny.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Dolash posted:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Cucumbernatural continues to be the best thing about webcomics.

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster
On that note:

http://jessarts.tumblr.com/post/89006841863/my-prediction-for-the-next-page-in-paranatural

Also, someone elsewhere suggested that "mom" might be the shoplifter girl from earlier in the chapter:

http://www.paranatural.net/index.php?id=178

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Nick_326 posted:

Also, someone elsewhere suggested that "mom" might be the shoplifter girl from earlier in the chapter:

http://www.paranatural.net/index.php?id=178
Hair's the wrong shade, though she does have at least one of the earrings. Who knows!

Also that page has 'shmallows and the word "fooligans" on it, it is, like so many pages of this comic, the Best Page.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Gonna go with this is agent day, just to play the odds

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zenzirouj posted:

It still bugs me how black and white are spectral colors when they're not actually on the color spectrum.

Maybe the spectrum is fully HSL representative.

Or Forge is grey, too, maybe there's a colour spectrum and a shade spectrum.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MikeJF posted:

Maybe the spectrum is fully HSL representative.

Or Forge is grey, too, maybe there's a colour spectrum and a shade spectrum.
Spectrum is generally used to represent a one-dimensional thing from one extreme to another, but maybe a spectral spectrum is fully three-dimensional.

Because it's kinda hard to represent all possible colors with less than three dimensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Unless you wanna be a dork about it and argue that "colour" only means exactly the same thing as "hue".

theshim posted:

Hair's the wrong shade, though she does have at least one of the earrings. Who knows!

Also that page has 'shmallows and the word "fooligans" on it, it is, like so many pages of this comic, the Best Page.

Embrace darkness! :yayclod: