Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
As long as Chucklefish don't shelve it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

MrLonghair posted:

How many of you expected a complete game from start to finish out of this. What the gently caress.

I first played this about six months ago, sorry for expecting progress.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
What they ARE doing currently is gearing up to do automated nightly releases of whatever the current Dev build is. You have to opt into it of course, but you'll be able to see more of what they've been working on. Also they're doing daily "what Dev X Has been working on today" posts on their website.

Lots of people are bummed out due to the lack of content but the modding is just so fuuun

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

dog kisser posted:

What they ARE doing currently is gearing up to do automated nightly releases of whatever the current Dev build is. You have to opt into it of course, but you'll be able to see more of what they've been working on. Also they're doing daily "what Dev X Has been working on today" posts on their website.

Lots of people are bummed out due to the lack of content but the modding is just so fuuun

And easy too! I think the main reason I've gotten so much praise isn't necessarily because of it's quality but more that someone actually did it (especially the Star Trek stuff I did)

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Babyface Mingo posted:

Well, to be fair, here is a list of Early Access titles I have not shelved:

-*tumbleweed*

For me this list is just DayZ and that game is broken as gently caress. Still the only game where you can chase down a new spawn, handcuff them and force feed them rotten vegetables until they die though.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm glad they did early access, mostly just so I could finally just get a taste of the game and whet my appetite, so to speak. I was so anxious to get to actually play it that it was the only game I was really thinking about, and getting to actually run around and explore the ambiance, even unfinished as it is, gave me the patience to let it develop into a more realized game. If they'd just waited till, say, a few months from now to release it, I'd probably still be checking the dev blog twice a day in childish anticipation.
That, and it's given people time to get familiar with modding and produce some really stunning work.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

I really like the soundtrack.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Seriously, you're missing out if you don't play modded Starbound. Tons of content out there for downloadin'.

I've decided to try my hand at modding. Desideratus guide my hand!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Party Alarm posted:

Seriously, you're missing out if you don't play modded Starbound. Tons of content out there for downloadin'.

I've decided to try my hand at modding. Desideratus guide my hand!

Yay modding! Ask for help in this thread if you need it! Or go to here and talk to people on IRC, it's always got a bunch of great modders/devs

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Making a craftable throwing weapons mod to get my feet wet. I know there's a few out there but I wanted to make it follow vanilla progression and keep the resource costs meaningful. Gonna do another crafting station for when you get the robo table that will be more sciency and can craft stuff like grenades.

e: grenade crafting table

e: PROGRESS

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=271105540

Party Alarm fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 15, 2014

Tiyuri
Jan 22, 2013

HORSETITS ARE HARAAM
Thank you for staying sane for me guys. I feel like I should do most of my posting here.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tiyuri posted:

Thank you for staying sane for me guys. I feel like I should do most of my posting here.

We're only sane by comparison. You guys must have the most unhinged fans, honestly. I don't envy you your job.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Tiyuri posted:

I just read the last kerfuffle you got into on reddit: I don't even know what to say! Go hug the new puppy.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Tiyuri posted:

This is possibly the only time I will see the word sane related by context to SA.

Stay safe, dude.

Tiyuri
Jan 22, 2013

HORSETITS ARE HARAAM
On that note, nightlies will probably be out tonight unless we run out of steam setting it up today. They will be broken as gently caress, but it'll be fun to tinker with, particularly if you're into modding.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So what happened with the (other) crazy community this time?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Probably not what Tiy is talking about, but yesterday I noticed people yelling at molly on twitter for posting one link to an unrelated kickstarter. I think the dude has been previously banned from the forums, so no big surprise he's a shithead on twitter too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I guess the only way to be a relatively unbothered game dev is to work on a game, never give out personal details whatsoever, and only release it once it's done.

Oh, and never have forums. Ever.

Sorry that there's so much poo poo you have to put up with, Tiy. :smith: If it helps, I was playing Minecraft with friends the other day, and kept thinking about how much I wanted to just beam to my space ship and hang out there.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I guess the only way to be a relatively unbothered game dev is to work on a game, never give out personal details whatsoever, and only release it once it's done.

Oh, and never have forums. Ever.

Sorry that there's so much poo poo you have to put up with, Tiy. :smith: If it helps, I was playing Minecraft with friends the other day, and kept thinking about how much I wanted to just beam to my space ship and hang out there.

Then you would be the cube world guy who had his life ruined by 4chan.

Also Tiy...

How dare you make another game instead of accepting cookies from us, I demand a refund!!!

Tiyuri
Jan 22, 2013

HORSETITS ARE HARAAM
I lied, first nightly is out now. It will chew up your save files etc, so please be careful if you opt in.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Tiyuri posted:

I lied, first nightly is out now. It will chew up your save files etc, so please be careful if you opt in.

Excellent. I don't have any dedicated characters anyway because I've been only modding since the game came out anyhow!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Tiyuri posted:

Yet more Lies!!!

Oh maaan how do I opt in if I've already opted in for unstable? Steam is being weird.

Edit: Ah Steam broke, that's why, if the drop down menu doesn't work for you try resetting Steam.

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jun 16, 2014

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Tiyuri posted:

What is in this first nightly, is there a changelog or anything?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Nightlies will be great, not just for seeing what's new but also as a PR move; people will see that you are indeed working on the game, and they'll stop complaining.

Tiyuri
Jan 22, 2013

HORSETITS ARE HARAAM

Geokinesis posted:

What is in this first nightly, is there a changelog or anything?

Nah not going to do changelogs for nightlies, they're built automatically and uploaded automatically every day. I don't want have to write a changelog every day. Changelogs will come with unstable and stable updates (unstable for testing, stable for tested). I'd post our git log but it's full of far too much profanity.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Tiyuri posted:

Nah not going to do changelogs for nightlies, they're built automatically and uploaded automatically every day. I don't want have to write a changelog every day. Changelogs will come with unstable and stable updates (unstable for testing, stable for tested). I'd post our git log but it's full of far too much profanity.

Fair enough!

Is there any info on what you are generally working on currently, so you can kind of see what stuff might be making it into the nightlies?

Tiyuri
Jan 22, 2013

HORSETITS ARE HARAAM

Geokinesis posted:

Fair enough!

Is there any info on what you are generally working on currently, so you can kind of see what stuff might be making it into the nightlies?

There's a daily blog post over at playstarbound.com that talks a bit about what work we're doing every day. Monsters are massively overhauled (and work continues on them, some days they have 1 attack, other days they have tons of new ones, depending on what we're testing at the time), but you'd need to spawn them to check that out as they don't spawn themselves at the moment. There are nav changes, UI changes, we're working on the ships AI and quest system, new sounds, new objects for an outpost dungeon that's going in soon.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Tiy lied, reddit (and steam forums) cried.

Also, I got a couple callouts on reddit and Steam. Someone on there called me a cockwipe and for me to be demodded. :lol:

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Eonwe posted:

Also, I got a couple callouts on reddit and Steam. Someone on there called me a cockwipe and for me to be demodded. :lol:

To be fair, you are both a cockwipe and should be Demodded.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eonwe posted:

Isn't a cockwipe basically exactly what a moderator is supposed to be?

As in, the spend their time sanitizing things that would otherwise get covered with excrement?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
In terms of what Eonwe is talking about :

http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/28879p/starbound_forums_banning_and_other_issues/

This fellow continues a good job of being the most polite dick I've ever seen.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Zaa Boogie posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/28879p/starbound_forums_banning_and_other_issues/

People are mad at being banned because they're being shitheads?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zaa Boogie posted:

The hilarious thing is all those people are telling like, maybe 1/4 of the story. Of course the 12 year olds on reddit who are just starting to be angsty are eating it up.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

DarkAvenger211 posted:

People are mad at being banned because they're being shitheads?

It's kinda what Something Sensitive has been built about. Bunch of racists, etc. who got pissy that they were banned from SA, so now they obsessively stalk people related to the site. :thumbsup:

iminay
Dec 18, 2012
I massively enjoyed the game at release, haven't booted it up in a while, but still, it's early access and being actively developed. poo poo could be much much worse.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Looks like mixed results with the nightly so far. Mine starts but doesn't load, some people's won't run the launcher even. Not that I mind!

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Shoehead posted:

Looks like mixed results with the nightly so far. Mine starts but doesn't load, some people's won't run the launcher even. Not that I mind!

Sounds like a nightly build to me. :v:

Ernie Muppari fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 16, 2014

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

This is probably low on their to-do list, but has the game been optimized since the first few weeks? I know some of my close friends have a lot of trouble playing due to lag during combat, and I remember that terrible performance was an issue when it first launched, even for people with higher-end computers.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It probably has been a little bit until just now, due to nightlies.

Night Lies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Tiyuri posted:

I'd post our git log but it's full of far too much profanity.
You should post highlights of this for unstable releases.

• Locked thread