Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

theDOWmustflow posted:

What is the Slaughter/Massacre of Tenenmen (or something) they repeatedly refer to in Chapter 3? Has something to do with why they've erected a magic nullifying zone?

Do you mean Thanedd island? You can get an in-game book that explains what it is: http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Thanedd_Coup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

monster on a stick posted:

This is a bit of an unfair comparison since it's a choice in game 1 and how it carries over to game 3. How many TW1 choices really carried over into TW2 in any meaningful way? It's all pretty minor from what I've read, it seems like the only thing of note is whether a certain character is alive/dead (who I don't think you meet), and making one thing easier in Act 3 if you chose Iorveth's path.
Yeah, it's all very minor. The biggest thing that can happen is Siegfried makes an appearance if you have a pro-Order import. Other than that, it's generally dialogue changes, no big effects on the storyline. I have no problem with this, I prefer how Witcher games emphasize internal storyline forking rather than the import being important.

advokat
Nov 17, 2012

Leb posted:

Wait, how am I meeting with Dijkstra? Last we knew, hadn't he completely abandoned his old life, changed his name and gone into hiding after Phillipa tried to have him killed?

edit: higher quality version of the above content: http://www.ign.com/videos/2014/06/10/the-witcher-3-gameplay-demo-ign-live-e3-2014

Also, is this PC footage? This looks better than what we've seen to date, ableit with some aliasing, tearing and some noticeable z-fighting that I hope will be resolved before the game ships.

edit2: per CDPR forums, apparently it was X1 footage after all, which bodes well, indeed, for the PC version

I realise I'm late to the party, but hell yeah Novigrad, HELL YEAH Dijkstra. Dijkstra was easily one of my favourite characters in the books, though I do hope they at least come up with some basic explanation for why he's there and what he wants with a griffon's head.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ok I have a fun bug for ya, I get to the part in the tutorial where I need to spend a skill point, but the quest dosent recognize that I used a point, and wont advance to the next step. Soooo what do I do? Oh duhhhhh this is a dumb tutorial, I still need to assign a mutagen. Well then.

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 13, 2014

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tbh I thought the whole Alvin thing was really dumb.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It was a pretty well done twist really.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Roshnak posted:

As for the state of Temeria at the end of the game, I haven't read any of the books, but googling a map it looks like Temeria is between Nilfgaard and the huge city they keep talking about being near No-Man's Land. They could easily make Temeria largely occupied territory.

The Pontar Valley looks like it's way too far east from Novigrad to be represented on a single game map in the Witcher 3.

You found a good map and didnt link it?!? For shame.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

The Sharmat posted:

It was a pretty well done twist really.
I liked it. "But that's a sword for monsters! :confused:"

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Do you mean Thanedd island? You can get an in-game book that explains what it is: http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Thanedd_Coup

I wonder how stable the sorceresses lodge will be in Wild Hunt depending on whatever happens to Philippa Eilhart. Even if they were on friendlier terms with Nilfgaard than the Brotherhood, being the likely patsy of the King Slayer conspiracy for the Northern kingdoms can't help the already shakey reputation most court sorceresses had. And it isn't like Nilfgaard isn't above loving people even more to get a better deal for the Empire.

I also hope for a drat good performance from The White Flame Dancing on the Barrows of his Enemies and to finally see Dol Blathanna if we can wander all over the Imperial territory.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Speaking of Dol Blathanna and the Lodge: so we saw Shilard kill one of the Nilfgaardian sorceresses that Nilfgaard found to be a member of the Lodge. I wonder if that means they're gonna kill Francesca Findabair.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Crabtree posted:

I wonder how stable the sorceresses lodge will be in Wild Hunt depending on whatever happens to Philippa Eilhart. Even if they were on friendlier terms with Nilfgaard than the Brotherhood, being the likely patsy of the King Slayer conspiracy for the Northern kingdoms can't help the already shakey reputation most court sorceresses had. And it isn't like Nilfgaard isn't above loving people even more to get a better deal for the Empire.

I'm guessing it's one of those cases where the side you pick in Loc Muinne is going to be acknowledged as causing Nilfgaard grief in their occupation/invasion attempts - the sorceresses can co-ordinate via magic, a strong Temeria is a roadblock for the Nilfgaardians and an independent Pontar valley just exists, I guess (Saskia and her rebels would probably be helping Nilfgaard, since they're not racists). Out of the three, it seems like the Council/Conclave (the Lodge is dissolved for the conspiracy it was, remember) probably would help the North the most.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'm guessing it's one of those cases where the side you pick in Loc Muinne is going to be acknowledged as causing Nilfgaard grief in their occupation/invasion attempts - the sorceresses can co-ordinate via magic, a strong Temeria is a roadblock for the Nilfgaardians and an independent Pontar valley just exists, I guess (Saskia and her rebels would probably be helping Nilfgaard, since they're not racists). Out of the three, it seems like the Council/Conclave (the Lodge is dissolved for the conspiracy it was, remember) probably would help the North the most.

Iorveth and his ilk hate Nilfgaard almost as much as the northerners, Nilfgaard betrayed the Scoietel after all. Nilfgaardians are hella racist they just dont show it in the same way the North does a iirc

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Mickey McKey posted:

You found a good map and didnt link it?!? For shame.

I think it's just the map from TW2.

Click for big.

It's supposed to be bigger but imgur is being a jerk.

Roshnak fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 13, 2014

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I just finished watching the end of the first Witcher. Can anyone explain why the Wild Hunt dude looks like a specter in that game, but looks much more corporeal in the Witcher 3? Also why does he care about Geralt or the antagonist in the Witcher 1? I know his motives for the third game, but I don't know how it ties together.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Roshnak posted:

I think it's just the map from TW2.

Click for big.

It's supposed to be bigger but imgur is being a jerk.

I think that one is higher res than the last one I saw, thanks!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Baiard posted:

I just finished watching the end of the first Witcher. Can anyone explain why the Wild Hunt dude looks like a specter in that game, but looks much more corporeal in the Witcher 3? Also why does he care about Geralt or the antagonist in the Witcher 1? I know his motives for the third game, but I don't know how it ties together.

Play the Witcher 2. It'll explain this stuff.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

chaosapiant posted:

Play the Witcher 2. It'll explain this stuff.

And the explanation is sort of terrible. That was my one big beef with W2 and therefore W3 by proxy... the Wild Hunt is actually kinda terrible. Here's hoping they can salvage that mess in W3 and make it not feel like some retarded sci-fi/Dark Eldar poo poo.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't think the Wild Hunt is terrible, it's a nifty mythological element, but the way they handled the blatant retconning between The Witcher 1 and The Witcher 2 was less than elegant.

In short, the way the Hunt is perceived depends largely on the knowledge and mental fortitude of the subject, and that allows the Huntsmen to terrorize their prey. As Geralt regains his memory, his relation to the Hunt becomes more clear, and so does the form of the supposed spectral beings.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Even if Saskia would have severe hatred of the Lodge depending on if you freed her from the spell, I don't think she's dumb enough not to expect the absolute worst from Nilfgaard for the potential Pontar Free State. Its not a subjugate territory claiming to be an honest elven Kingdom like Dol Blathanna. It's supposed to be a non-human and human free society outside of the control of any Northern Kingdom and Nilfgaard. Totalitarians HATE free societies, even if they're as free as any culture could be in a world like the Witcher. poo poo, we can probably expect saves using Pontar Free State to just descend into French Revolution madness no matter what choices we make -- if its not obliterated by the Wild Hunt.

Nilfgaard believes in conquest and that the only true Nilfgaardians are those born in the city and not subjugated peoples. Its as abusive as any on the ball Roman Empire could be.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 13, 2014

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Crabtree posted:

Nilfgaard believes in conquest and that the only true Nilfgaardians are those born in the city and not subjugated peoples. Its as abusive as any on the ball Roman Empire could be.[/spoiler]

As contrasted to the Northern Kingdoms which don't recognize the concept of liberty at all.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
The Northern Kingdoms will scheme behind your back and openly hate you if you're not human. Nilfgaard will scheme as is smiles to your face and decide whether they want to kill or enslave you.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Baiard posted:

Very minor Witcher 2 spoiler: the Wild Hunt have access to tech/magic that lets them astrally project themselves. Coming to the Witcher's world is pretty energy-intensive so they rarely ever do it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
All things considered, I think the Roman-style relation of patrons and friends / citizens and allies is preferable and more progressive than plain feudalism, but whatever, this isn't D&D.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Baiard posted:

Also why does he care about Geralt or the antagonist in the Witcher 1? I know his motives for the third game, but I don't know how it ties together.
When you played W2, if you found that sword in Loc Muinne that belonged to one of the elves from the other world, it explains that a special gene in "Elder Blood" can be used to create portals between the worlds. People that have Elder Blood are natural magic-users. Jacques/Alvin was one of them, so they wanted to take him after you defeated him.

Speculation: I think the reason that they care about Geralt, the reason they let you go and kept an eye on you throughout W1, is that they think you'll eventually lead them to Ciri, a powerful bearer of Elder Blood.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 13, 2014

advokat
Nov 17, 2012
It's a bit hard to tell whether Nilfgaard is more Roman Empire or more Third Reich/Stalin-era Soviet Union crossover in fantasyland. I'm inclined to say the latter (come on, do you remember their elaborate punishments for failure?), even though Emhyr is actually comparatively decent by their standards. The Northern Kingdoms, meanwhile, aren't really totalitarian - they're just very strongly unequal and corrupt. Kinda like, well, the real Ancien Regime or many of the interwar European authoritarian states when compared to their totalitarian neighbours and successors. Not very "progressive", that's for sure, but also more willing to tolerate individual freedom in most cases.

As for elves, I think it doesn't come down to "racist/not racist" so much as to the fact that Nilfgaard screwed them over before and will probably do so again if necessary. And it is just plain stronger, which makes for a worse neighbour as compared to Northern Kingdoms they might have decent chances of holding off. They could still work with it, but I suspect neither Saskia nor Iorveth would be very thrilled about it. They might as easily make common cause with the Northerners instead, for a change - after extracting some hefty concessions from them first. Still, I suppose it could go either way.

advokat fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 14, 2014

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

steinrokkan posted:

I don't think the Wild Hunt is terrible, it's a nifty mythological element, but the way they handled the blatant retconning between The Witcher 1 and The Witcher 2 was less than elegant.

In short, the way the Hunt is perceived depends largely on the knowledge and mental fortitude of the subject, and that allows the Huntsmen to terrorize their prey. As Geralt regains his memory, his relation to the Hunt becomes more clear, and so does the form of the supposed spectral beings.

Really?

Because they're basically space elves that kidnap people for NEFARIOUS PURPOSES. Sounds pretty terrible to me.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

That's just deliberately putting it in silly and inaccurate terms.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Fuzz posted:

Really?

Because they're basically space elves that kidnap people for NEFARIOUS PURPOSES. Sounds pretty terrible to me.

they aren't space elves. It's inter dimensional refugees who fled during the conjunction of spheres. And their purpose is save the rest of the elves who stayed behind from the coming winter apocalypse. They need a source to do so because they lost the allies who helped them escape

It's kind of a huge theme with the witcher series. And if you hate the wild hunt, boy are you going to be disappointed with Ciri.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think the reason the Wild Hunt is compelling is that, like many other Witcher universe phenomena, it's an existing and well established real-world folk tale adapted to fit into a world capable of rationalizing and dealing with myths. It's not just a cheap plot contrivance, it's a spin on a cultural archetype which lends it extra credence on top of what the writers are able to achieve.

You can frame it as space elves, but the fact remains that it addresses a mythological question that has been troubling brains all over Europe for centuries, and has been a huge source of symbolism in classical culture.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I'd say the Wild Hunt isn't something that's been beaten to death in fantasy, but as an American, I likely haven't experienced the likely surfeit of Wild Hunt like stories across Europe. It's also a fascinating and simple idea for a monster that gives Witcher a Eastern European flavor you don't see in typical Western Fantasy. This kind of Grimm Brothers or Baba Yaga style tragedy where bad things almost always tend to happen because that's just how it goes, even in fantasies. :v:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I like that the Wild Hunt are not evil super-powered assholes that have an ~~evil plan~~ to take over the world. Instead they are evil mysterious boogeymen that have an agenda, yes, but the game is not about BEING THE ONE AND ONLY PERSON HERO THAT CAN SAAAAAVE THE WOOOOOOORLD. The Wild Hunt hosed with Geralt personally and he is out to kick their butts or get revenge or whatever (havent read the books).

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Nvm posted old footage.

What's the lore behind Godlings anyway?

Khagan fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 16, 2014

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I thought the wild hunt were elves from a different dimension. Or at least they seemed like they came from a far away land where elves did not face hardship. Maybe I should just pay more attention. I'm playing through both games again right now. Only in act 2 of the first Witcher.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

cmykjester posted:

I thought the wild hunt were elves from a different dimension. Or at least they seemed like they came from a far away land where elves did not face hardship. Maybe I should just pay more attention. I'm playing through both games again right now. Only in act 2 of the first Witcher.

They are inter-dimensional elves, but I just phrased it poorly because they are mysterious and all that, but we know who they are.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

cmykjester posted:

You got it right. People calling them "space elves" are misunderstanding.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Lycus posted:

You got it right. People calling them "space elves" are misunderstanding.

I was just playing through W2 and there is part where it says the Wild Hunt comes from "Another World" if you aren't immediately thinking about another dimension you are thinking elves riding chariots through space, at least that is what I thought.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Toadsniff posted:

I was just playing through W2 and there is part where it says the Wild Hunt comes from "Another World" if you aren't immediately thinking about another dimension you are thinking elves riding chariots through space, at least that is what I thought.

Yeah, Geralt specifically makes mention of there being 'other spheres' which is pretty easy to interpret as 'other planets'.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Mickey McKey posted:

I like that the Wild Hunt are not evil super-powered assholes that have an ~~evil plan~~ to take over the world. Instead they are evil mysterious boogeymen that have an agenda, yes, but the game is not about BEING THE ONE AND ONLY PERSON HERO THAT CAN SAAAAAVE THE WOOOOOOORLD. The Wild Hunt hosed with Geralt personally and he is out to kick their butts or get revenge or whatever (havent read the books).

This is one of the reasons that I'm not super big on the idea of all your decisions carrying over and having a big impact on the state of the world in the third game. I like the idea that you can't really make the world a better place, and maybe the best you can do is help out some individual people.

Toadsniff posted:

I don't know, I've never read any of the books, but I thought it was pretty clear that the Wild Hunt didn't literally come from another planet. I'm almost certain that they mention that they can "cross the barrier between worlds" or something like that, which is a pretty standard way of saying they come from another dimension. It also ties in with their whole "Conjunction of the Spheres" mythos or whatever.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah, Geralt specifically makes mention of there being 'other spheres' which is pretty easy to interpret as 'other planets'.

I mean, it's certainly possible to interpret it that way, but I wouldn't say it's the first thing your brain should jump to in a fantasy setting where everyone is riding horses and using swords.

Roshnak fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 16, 2014

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Khagan posted:

Nvm posted old footage.

What's the lore behind Godlings anyway?

Probably that's the translation of "bożęta" in Polish, a house spirit of prosperity, depicted as a child. Though there is no explanation why is it in a swamp and not in some house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I mean, traveling to other worlds through magical dimensional portals is a super-common thing in fantasy.

• Locked thread