Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Jedit posted:

Question: how do I turn off notifications that someone has chosen a candidate in Elective succession? Whenever I load up my save, every vassal with a vote applies their vote again and it's causing major drag and game problems.

Right click the message and pick when you want to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Angrymog posted:

Is there a more efficient way of taking over kingdoms than county by county (or if you're lucky with claim fabrication, duchy by duchy?) combined with the 10 year truces it makes it really slow. I've tried making with the stabby up the line of sucession once marrying my heir off to my target kingdom, but I think I'm doing it wrong.

Another strange thing that happened is that whilst I was putting down a revolt in the Duchy of Barcelona (I'm playing as Kingdom of Navarra), Granada and Barcelona both popped independent. Next ruler was able to re-vassellize Barcelona, but Granada remains stubbornly independent. It's converted to Catholicism too, so I can't just Holy war it back into submission, which is how I got it in the first place.

If someone with a claim on the title is in your court, you can declare a war to press their claim, and if they're a landed vassal of yours and the title you're warring for is lower-level than yours, they'll become your vassal. So as a king, you could invite somebody to your court with a claim on some duchy, give them a county or something, and declare war on the enemy king for the person's claim on that duchy. Once you get an empire title, you can do that to king titles too, potentially seizing entire kingdoms in a single war.

Expanding toward other religions is also a good idea. You can declare Holy Wars for entire duchies against members of other religious groups.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Arbite posted:

That's a shame. I guess there's always title customization.

You can customize a title's name, you know that? So long as you have lordship over the title you can name it whatever you like!

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Question: When I mouseover a region's levies, does that tell me how many troops they can raise right now, or how many troops are theoretically available? I was pressing a de jure ducal claim against a rival duke (in the GoT mod) and near the end of the conflict it looked like a few of the counties in the opponent's duchy still had troops available. Did those counts just not like the other duke enough to raise the rest of their levy in that war?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Parallax Scroll posted:

I captured 3 Norse holy sites, but my moral authority is only 33 and I guess it needs to be 50 to reform the faith. Catholics have the other 2 sites on lockdown, so I guess I should just do a whole bunch of county conquests, and raid churches when I need money?

The easiest way to get the moral authority up is to sail down and sack Rome. The pope usually builds nothing but churches in the province, so you can usually loot at least 4 churches in one go. Then if you need more, Nice (I think, right next to Genoa) is a Bishopric which you can easily loot as well. Bremen and Hamburg in Northern Germany are also Bishoprics which are easy to loot for that much needed moral authority. I tend to pick the bishoprics because the church is the top holding there, so you don't have to worry about first looting a barony.

You get 1% per church looted. County conquests are also good yes.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
A few quick questions:

1) What's the cause of the status "in revolt?" I'm not able to declare war in my current game (latest beta) based on "not being not in revolt" or similar. But I have no active revolts (I'm completely peaceful)?

2) What's the most you've ever seen a plot get discovered? I have an ongoing plot that I think has been discovered 20 times. Dishonorable -200 is kind of a bitch.

3) Does the dishonorable modifier wear off on a per vassal basis, or is it permanent (I can't remember)?

4) Why do vassals who are members of my plot care about the plot being uncovered?

5) What's the easiest way to tell which of my vassals are at war with each other (I figured out "stab anybody with a 'Revolt' title")?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

nutranurse posted:

You can customize a title's name, you know that? So long as you have lordship over the title you can name it whatever you like!

Yeah that's exactly what he said :crossarms:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

ulmont posted:

A few quick questions:

1) What's the cause of the status "in revolt?" I'm not able to declare war in my current game (latest beta) based on "not being not in revolt" or similar. But I have no active revolts (I'm completely peaceful)?

2) What's the most you've ever seen a plot get discovered? I have an ongoing plot that I think has been discovered 20 times. Dishonorable -200 is kind of a bitch.

3) Does the dishonorable modifier wear off on a per vassal basis, or is it permanent (I can't remember)?

4) Why do vassals who are members of my plot care about the plot being uncovered?

5) What's the easiest way to tell which of my vassals are at war with each other (I figured out "stab anybody with a 'Revolt' title")?

1. Who are you trying to declare war on? If it's your liege the game might not let you if you aren't revolting against him.

2. Ouch.

3. Pretty sure it's not permanent.

4. :shrug:

5. Other than just keeping an eye on if there are any little army icons running around your territory, check the ledger. Your vassals can end up at war with each other without any sort of revolt occurring (like if one is pressing a claim on another).

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Tsyni posted:

Right click the message and pick when you want to see it.

Whoa, that's a lot more convenient than trying to find the message type in the options menu.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Thrasophius posted:

Yeh I've noticed my king keeps getting the event with the sons wives, is there a higher chance of it happening with them or something? It's a little irritating when you have about 10 sons and get spammed with the event.

How can more kids be an annoying thing? Always tumble, unless they have Syphilis.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

SeaTard posted:

How can more kids be an annoying thing? Always tumble, unless they have Syphilis.

Yeah if you're not cucking every chance you get then you are playing this game wrong.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Moving up in the world from the start as Count of Braunschweig.

Of course, the duchies in Italy are all kinds of hosed up, but I can't really be bothered trying to fix them to de jure borders.

I have a daughter matrilineally married to the King of Lotharingia, so that should fold into the empire soon as well. Bavaria was pretty easy, the trickiest part was finding a non-Karling claimant to the title.

Finally, is it worth it to make the Knight retinue? I know that heavy cavalry are real good but with my 18000 retinue cap I can have either 5500 in Knights or 15500 in skirmish retinue. And really, that many archers makes assaulting in sieges trivial.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Bold Robot posted:

1. Who are you trying to declare war on? If it's your liege the game might not let you if you aren't revolting against him.

No, I'm independent. I guess I'll get a screenshot tonight.

Bold Robot posted:

5. Other than just keeping an eye on if there are any little army icons running around your territory, check the ledger. Your vassals can end up at war with each other without any sort of revolt occurring (like if one is pressing a claim on another).

Yeah, I know they can end up at war with each other pretty easily; I'm trying to find the ones at war so I can stab them into peace, but the ledger shows all wars whether my vassals or not (and tbh, at this point I can't even tell who are my vassals without doublechecking).

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
So after the 23 Tengri Revolt of Tartaria I've had enough of that crap and its time :hitler: them. I'm Jewish and my moral authority hovers around 40%. How do I go about making them never loving revolt ever again.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Azuth0667 posted:

So after the 23 Tengri Revolt of Tartaria I've had enough of that crap and its time :hitler: them. I'm Jewish and my moral authority hovers around 40%. How do I go about making them never loving revolt ever again.

Raise your moral authority way higher (because you need to be able to convert all those Tengri provinces quickly). The Jewish start is inherently riddled with rebels. You need to get to the holy land, and in the mean time holy war your rear end off. It's a delicate balance at first.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

I've never seen the Mongols expand all the way into Egypt before and frankly, it scares me. I'm even Aquitaine, I'm not close by, but goddamn I do not want to be anywhere east of the Adriatic or Baltic right now.

Converting to Islam did not stop the Ilkhanate Train. Send help

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Bold Robot posted:

Yeah if you're not cucking every chance you get then you are playing this game wrong.

I always tumble, unless my guy is in love with his wife and doesn't have Lustful. If you're not going full in on the insanity, you're not playing the game right. You have sex with everything that wants you. And I mean EVERYTHING.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ofaloaf posted:

The Khan should marry a Sayyid so his son can found a Mongol Caliphate. :black101:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ofaloaf posted:

It's not too late to fabricate claims on England, and move to the British Isles, just saying.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hold out another hundred fifty years or so and flee to America.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
My girlfriend's Duke of Munster to Emperor of Britain took an interesting turn.

This was her previous Emperor. Pretty unremarkable guy, not much to say about him. He did manage to press his claims on Aquitane and France during his life and take part in a crusade though. Now, his elective heir.

The genius king of Sweden and Norway, also a dynastic heir. I can't even remember how this happened. According to her she married off a woman of her dynasty to a Swedish prince matrilinearly, and eventually said prince was the only heir left alive.

Also, Emperor Domnall died at the age of 45, so Emperor Math "The Great" took over the super-empire of Prydain at 23.

I'm pretty sure she'll be well-prepared for the Aztecs when they finally show up. :v:

Speaking of the Ilkhanate, they're pretty much stuck faffing about in Khiva at the moment, although that might have something to do with the huge Shia blob that stretches all the way from Persia to Egypt. Also, the Sunni faith has become a Yazidi heresy. THIS loving GAME.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

MrBling posted:

Finally, is it worth it to make the Knight retinue? I know that heavy cavalry are real good but with my 18000 retinue cap I can have either 5500 in Knights or 15500 in skirmish retinue. And really, that many archers makes assaulting in sieges trivial.

I'd also be interested in seeing the answer to this. Are Knights worth the cap cost?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Rumda posted:

Yeah that's exactly what he said :crossarms:

Yeah, I dunno how I missed that.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Ratpick posted:

My girlfriend's Duke of Munster to Emperor of Britain took an interesting turn.

This was her previous Emperor. Pretty unremarkable guy, not much to say about him. He did manage to press his claims on Aquitane and France during his life and take part in a crusade though. Now, his elective heir.

The genius king of Sweden and Norway, also a dynastic heir. I can't even remember how this happened. According to her she married off a woman of her dynasty to a Swedish prince matrilinearly, and eventually said prince was the only heir left alive.

Also, Emperor Domnall died at the age of 45, so Emperor Math "The Great" took over the super-empire of Prydain at 23.

I'm pretty sure she'll be well-prepared for the Aztecs when they finally show up. :v:

Speaking of the Ilkhanate, they're pretty much stuck faffing about in Khiva at the moment, although that might have something to do with the huge Shia blob that stretches all the way from Persia to Egypt. Also, the Sunni faith has become a Yazidi heresy. THIS loving GAME.

I hope she didn't invest a lot of money into cultural buildings, because those are all loving gone now. Unless something's changed that I'm not aware of.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Starting on 1081.1.1 or 1205.1.1 makes for a wonderful break from the ordinary. 1081 on Jan. 1st gives you the Alexiad start just a few months before Alexios took the throne, so Byzantium is in a poo poo situation and doesn't has Alexios Komnenos ready to save the day. It prevents the Balkans and Anatolia from being painted Byzie Violet all the time. 1081's also still pre-Crusades and close enough to 1066 that it still tends to feel nearly the same as the 1066 Grand Campaign, Balkans aside.

Likewise, 1205.1.1 gives you the early Latin Empire, but unlike the proper Latin Empire start in 1204, Thessalonica is vassalized, so the Latin Empire's larger and actually has a decent chance at holding off the Byzantines in Nikaea. Since the Latin Empire isn't a de jure title, if it successfully holds off the Byzantines it usually doesn't end up dominating the Balkans or Anatolia, but instead just tends to hold its ground and pick fights with Bulgaria to the north. Far to the west, meanwhile, the Angevin Empire starts off in a decayed position thanks to King John but still has a chance at holding on to Aquitaine, so France is caught up in all sorts of poo poo. 1205 is just pre-Albigensian Crusade, too, so there's Cathars on the map.

Both starts offer a lot more turmoil in the Balkans and Asia Minor, and give more openings for expansion there if you're so inclined to do so. 1205's poo poo for the Levant since the Ayyubids are everywhere, but eh.

Torrannor posted:

It's not too late to fabricate claims on England, and move to the British Isles, just saying.
The King of England also holds the crown of Ireland and is one county away from obliterating the King of Wales and stealing that crown, too. Scotland's barely hanging on, because Norway's taken over northern Scotland and perfidious Albion has been pushing up from the south. I ain't messing with the British Isles.

StashAugustine posted:

Hold out another hundred fifty years or so and flee to America.
Carrying this game on to EU4 has been the plan. That's partly why my realm isn't bigger.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I remember reading somewhere a long rear end time ago that you can break the mongol invasions as a byzantine emperor by kicking the pope out of Rome. I did that a while ago, but crusades got unlocked even though I mended the schism. There's maybe a handful of catholic holdings left on the map, and all of them are being converted. Do I still need to worry about the Mongols?

E: It's about 1020 and Seljuk has yet to start his invasion, does that mean I'm good?

A Real Happy Camper fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 16, 2014

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Captain Novolin posted:

I remember reading somewhere a long rear end time ago that you can break the mongol invasions as a byzantine emperor by kicking the pope out of Rome. I did that a while ago, but crusades got unlocked even though I mended the schism. There's maybe a handful of catholic holdings left on the map, and all of them are being converted. Do I still need to worry about the Mongols?
You can break the Mongol Invasions if the Papacy ceases to exist. If the Pope's unlanded and still running around, stirring up poo poo, then the Mongols'll still show up.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

You can break the Mongol Invasions if the Papacy ceases to exist. If the Pope's unlanded and still running around, stirring up poo poo, then the Mongols'll still show up.

I thought it was straight-up impossible for the Papacy to not exist, even if the Pope is the only Catholic left.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

EightDeer posted:

I thought it was straight-up impossible for the Papacy to not exist, even if the Pope is the only Catholic left.

Yeah, it is. Unless you destroy the title via the console, maybe. I don't know, I've never tried.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

EightDeer posted:

Hence why the events are dependent on the Pope. The trigger for the first event that sets up the Mongol invasions, 'Rumors of a Steppe Menace', is
code:
	trigger = {
		year = 1215

religion = catholic
		controls_religion = yes # Let it happen for the Pope - he's always around

NOT = { has_global_flag = mongol_horde_rumors }
		NOT = { has_global_flag = il_khanate_arrival }
		NOT = { has_global_flag = golden_horde_arrival }
	}

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

DStecks posted:

Yeah, it is. Unless you destroy the title via the console, maybe. I don't know, I've never tried.

I did it with a tribal invasion of the Pope's lands in Italy.
That game ended with me getting bored and wanting the Mongols to turn up, so I tried to re-create the papacy and accidentally became the Pope.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

ulmont posted:

What makes it worse is that this plot has been sitting at 1200% for years without a murder event firing.

...instead, I get this:

EDIT: discovered 4 times in 920 so far, and it's only March.

E2: after being discovered 7 times in 920, finally succeeded in November.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 17, 2014

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Ofaloaf, do you want any help with your America mod?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

ulmont posted:

What makes it worse is that this plot has been sitting at 1200% for years without a murder event firing.

That's your problem, when you have everyone who's willing to join in the plot you get a bunch of morons who don't know how to shut up about it, check the traits to make sure they're not gonna to drunkenly talk about how they're totally helping you murder a dude.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

ulmont posted:

...instead, I get this:

EDIT: discovered 4 times in 920 so far, and it's only March.

E2: after being discovered 7 times in 920, finally succeeded in November.

Auto-invite is a really mixed blessing because you'll end up inviting arbitrary drunkards into your supposedly secret fold.

I try to watch out for people with these traits:
drunkard
imbeciles
lunatics
arbitrary*
decietful*
slothful

*these two I will invite in if they're not paired with too many other bad traits.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 17, 2014

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

reignonyourparade posted:

That's your problem, when you have everyone who's willing to join in the plot you get a bunch of morons who don't know how to shut up about it, check the traits to make sure they're not gonna to drunkenly talk about how they're totally helping you murder a dude.

nutranurse posted:

Auto-invite is a really mixed blessing because you'll end up inviting arbitrary drunkards into your supposedly secret fold.

Clearly. Every time before this, though, with a power of 1200% I'd normally see the murder take a month, tops...

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

MrBling posted:

Of course, the duchies in Italy are all kinds of hosed up, but I can't really be bothered trying to fix them to de jure borders.

"The duchies are kinda hosed up" you say while Andalucía is in Scottish hands.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I am now the favored heir to the Byzantine empire. While imprisoned for rebelling. Huh, don't I feel dumb.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Sam. posted:

Ofaloaf, do you want any help with your America mod?
I would be down for that. I suck poo poo at events, and most counties haven't any assigned characters as of yet. Plus I've kind of been wallowing and not doing much and having somebody else doing stuff is a good motivator to do work myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
Since I'm from Texas, I've been keeping my Patrician alive even though he is Incapable. This is making my game last longer (Ironman) cause I close out the game every time he dies. He is over 50, should I just give up hope on him ever coming out of his coma? :(

e: Welp, gonna wait this one out. After electing the Pope and being denied my divine right to invade England, I stabbed the King and finally got my invasion approved. Time to rape, pillage and generally tyrant it up and then let my Patrician drift off to eternal slumber :getin:

• Locked thread