Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

So just Zou, then.
I had the impression that it was more prevalent

You might be mistaking the general contempt most people in this thread have for the majority of BL writers as being complete talentless hacks who write absolute poo poo for plagiarism.

Zou is the only one that flat out copied other works. Most of the other poo poo authors are just bad at prose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
What are the opinions on the "Kill Team" game? Reviews are bad, but I just want to have a character in power armor going ham on stuff. Is it just diablo 3 with a 40k skin or is it worth $10?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Fried Chicken posted:

What are the opinions on the "Kill Team" game? Reviews are bad, but I just want to have a character in power armor going ham on stuff. Is it just diablo 3 with a 40k skin or is it worth $10?

Top down shooter, not like Diabol at all. Pretty fast paced and fun. It's decent but it'll probably be even cheaper during the next Steam Sale.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

JerryLee posted:

Couldn't you spin a shitload of religions as being too Chaos, though? I mean take something like the classical Greek pantheon. Sure a reasonable person will look at it and realize that there aren't actually tentacles coming out of everything, but a core conceit is that the imperium isn't run by reasonable people. I'm fairly certain that an Inquisitor having a bad day, or just with an axe to grind, could point at Dionysus, say "Slaanesh!" and start burning people, and if there was ever any oversight to their actions it would probably ultimately nod and conclude that it was best to be on the safe side.

This ends up getting the Imperium coming and going, too, because guess what the Dionysian cult that's now in hiding is going to do? Chances are any day now they're going to get a "call" from someone who sympathizes with them and is willing to help them find the power to retake their belief systems. They don't even have to change much of anything about their philosophy, just make things a little bit more... excessive.

The thing about being paranoid about Chaos in the 40k vein is that you end up criminalizing a lot of things and calling out the hounds every time you need a scapegoat to be torn to pieces. The remaining ones dive underground or become reactionary because they're so stigmatized. It's actually an excellent satire of real-world moral panic, even if it's probably giving GW too much credit to call it intentional.

Definitely too much credit. If the choices are "because it's GrimDark" or "because it has depth?" It's GrimDark every time.

And yeah, that is the complication. Indeed, there are as many stories of this Inquisitor or that Confessor going overboard and annihilating innocents because they caught a "whiff" of Chaos taint in this or that belief stricture as there are legitimate Chaos cults getting caught out the same way.

Hell, one of the sacred cows of 40k, the Star Child cult, got snuffed that way.

So yes, it can lead to catastrophic failure. Is that martial brotherhood in the Morris Rifles really worshiping the Emperor, or is it a gateway drug into Khorne worship? Are prayers to The Suffering God about the Emperor on his Golden Throen or is that Nurgle back there? And so on and so forth.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Fried Chicken posted:

It's pretty entertaining in short bursts, especially if you play it with a friend.

Anybody has Master of the hunt? It exist in ebook/printed versions? I'm not too fond of audiodramas. Also, how bad it really is? I'm curious about cocaine Doomrider.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Angry Lobster posted:

Anybody has Master of the hunt? It exist in ebook/printed versions? I'm not too fond of audiodramas. Also, how bad it really is? I'm curious about cocaine Doomrider.

It's... okay. It picks up towards the end but this Doomrider isn't the internet's favourite coke-fiend, I'm afraid.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

At this threads high recommendation I've picked up and have started reading the Ciaphas Cain novels. Can someone give me a primer on the Tau? Most of the other races in 40k seem bent on destruction or are just omega dicks but the Tau don't seem too bad from what I've seen in Cain. Are they also secretly dicks?

:ssh:

The Tau can't really be said to be anything, considering their whole society is a puppet of the Eldar. In their codex, it's described that they were an extremely warlike and self-destructive species in their pre-modern era, to the point that they brought themselves to the brink of extinction in the equivalent of the late-Renaissance/early gunpowder era. At that point, the Ethereals popped into existence, seemingly from thin air, and the Tau became a unified, cohesive, progress-oriented culture overnight.

The book Xenology explains that the Ethereals are a creation of the Eldar, and that they're mind-controlling the rest of the Tau through some kind of pheromonal :techno: that the Eldar stole from a race of sentient insectoids at the far edge of the galaxy. So really, the Tau do whatever the Eldar want them to. And everyone knows how considerate the Eldar are of other species when something they care about is at stake.

Farsight and his followers being the exception, of course, as long as they manage to stay away from any Ethereals.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
The Tau are authoritarian, ultranationalistic zealots entirely convinced that their philosophy of "The Greater Good" (a highly stratified caste system where the pseudo-mindcontrolling Ethereal caste lies at the top and non-tau are on the bottom of the rung) is the right and proper way for all sentients in the galaxy, and are thus justified in using any means necessary (political, economic, military) to expand and convert everyone to their views.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Tau are "good", in that they hide their mass sterilization campaigns and imperialism slightly better than the guys screaming about how all aliens must be destroyed.

I thought this only happened relatively recently though? Before that they were pretty much the only good guys with anime and gundams but I guess everything has to get the grim dark treatment.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
Not quite recently, but a couple years after their introduction, that with GW realizing the entire race was a mary sue that didn't at all fit the setting.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I thought it was a good idea to have one sympathetic and vibrant race to contrast all the others. They don't have to be perfect, just likable.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Baron Bifford posted:

I thought it was a good idea to have one sympathetic and vibrant race to contrast all the others. They don't have to be perfect, just likable.

They already have that, it's called regular folks trapped in the war-filled hell of the grim darkness of the far future, where there is only war.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Alternatively, Orks.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Want Nick Kyme to write a series of books about life from the perspective of a grot or gretchen.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Nephilm posted:

Not quite recently, but a couple years after their introduction, that with GW realizing the entire race was a mary sue that didn't at all fit the setting.

I don't know, having one optimistic race wouldn't have ruined the setting. I think the initial concept was a pretty good contrast. You had a young race of naive technologists that sought to embrace innovation and growth in the same way that the original Imperium did during the Dark Age of Technology. Their weaknesses would still be the size of their empire and their lack of knowledge about the scope of the true dangers in the galaxy. There's really no need to have them commit genocide or mass forced sterilisations just to add more character to the race.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Kegslayer posted:

I don't know, having one optimistic race wouldn't have ruined the setting. I think the initial concept was a pretty good contrast. You had a young race of naive technologists that sought to embrace innovation and growth in the same way that the original Imperium did during the Dark Age of Technology. Their weaknesses would still be the size of their empire and their lack of knowledge about the scope of the true dangers in the galaxy. There's really no need to have them commit genocide or mass forced sterilisations just to add more character to the race.

Yeah, if GW just wanted another grimdark addition they could have spared us this little sidestep and just gone full on mega-grimdark with whoever those guys from the Ghoul stars are, who laid waste to a huge part of the Imperium during the legendary Pale Wasting. The Tau worked a lot better as a contrast to the lovely rest of the galaxy. Now we wouldn't care as much if those fuckers get their heads carved in by Tyranids or whatever.

By the way, I would like to see GW try this again with some of the other disturbing and mysterious alien races still contesting the Imperium from time to time, like the menace from the Ghoul stars (and their nightmare-engines) mentioned above. If they ever make those or the Hrud into models, I would buy them.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I just finished the Night Lords books and while I loved them - ADB is a really solid and engaging writer - I was glad to see the back of them at the end.

I'm interested in another viewpoint now - no more Space Marines or IG for a while if possible. Are Gav Thorpe's Eldar books any good? Are there any other decent xenos-based books kicking around?

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Kegslayer posted:

The thing is that they didn't do that, what they did was a "progressive" society that only wanted peace, who in a couple thousand years managed to technologically surpass the imperium, that was immune to chaos and managed to fight off the tyranids after failing to make peace with them.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Plavski posted:

I just finished the Night Lords books and while I loved them - ADB is a really solid and engaging writer - I was glad to see the back of them at the end.

I'm interested in another viewpoint now - no more Space Marines or IG for a while if possible. Are Gav Thorpe's Eldar books any good? Are there any other decent xenos-based books kicking around?

IIRC the Fear The Alien short story collection has some pretty good stuff in it. I remember particularly liking a story about a Dark Eldar Archon trying to court another DE.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Improbable Lobster posted:

IIRC the Fear The Alien short story collection has some pretty good stuff in it. I remember particularly liking a story about a Dark Eldar Archon trying to court another DE.

That and the more recent one about, no really, a jet bike race are the only readable DE POV stories so far.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

ADB posted a thing.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

ADB posted:

For the record, as gratifying as it will be for various folks to run to Amazon and pre-order it from everyone’s favourite tax-avoiding mega-company, I’ll just note that the more zealous and hardcore among you might want to wait until August, when there’ll be a fairly lush announcement regarding the novel. An announcement that, sadly, I’m not allowed to say a word about just yet. I asked! I swear! But the messianic overlords that stand astride BL Towers poured boiling oil down upon my hopes, using words like “marketing” and “when the time is right” and “in accordance with the prophecy”.

That sounds ominous. BL doing a reasonable promotion or sale? No way.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

I listened to the podcast, there is a bunch of really interesting things in there.

Actual stuff about his projects coming up:

• His next project which he is going to start soon, is called Master of Mankind
  • Master of Mankind is about the War in the webway. Specifically a siege story, from the point of view of the imperial defenders loosing the webway war. According to ADB the book is "last death of the emperors dreams".
  • Cyrene's apparently going to have a huge arc and is going to be a huge important characther, and she is apparently deeply tied into 30k/40k lore (this surprised me)
  • New audio book by ADB coming very soon, involves Sevatar and a Little Girl :pedo:
  • Annieka from Emperors Gift is going to get her own book eventually (apparently it involves warp and how time is really hosed up)
  • Still wants to write about the Dark Angels, however he wants to write about the "Terran" Dark Angels
  • Ahriman Exile and future Talon of Horus books might intertwine.

Misc Crap

• Most popular legions are Space Wolves #1, and Dark Angels #2
  • Gav Thorpe apparently more or less has control of the Dark Angels for the HH :negative:
  • Most commonly asked question "Is Octavia and Septimus's Child Decimus?" he hates this question.
  • Wants to make a book about Octavia and Septimus about them trying fit themselves into imperial society, but BL said no.
  • Wants to write about Eldar Phoenix Lords
  • Hyperion's Castellian vs First Claw => Grey Knights by a Land Slide
  • Gal Vorbak vs First Claw => Gal Vorbak
  • ADB's favourite xmen is Cyclops :wtc:
  • Talon of Horus, Abaddon has a Female Dark Eldar "Friend"
  • Is worried about the fact that he adds women to all his books to balance out the fact that all space marines are men.
  • Total time Abnett is mentioned: 1

Also the next HH book the Damnation of Pythos is apparently a fair bit different than the other HH books, and early reviews peg it as more of a horror story.

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 16, 2014

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

UberJumper posted:

[*]ADB's favourite xmen is Cyclops :wtc:

Hey. HEY! Cyclops is awesome. There are those of us who still remember how he was back in the late '70s and early '80s when he was the heart and soul of the X-Men and Wolverine was just the wildcard who'd fly off the handle all the time. Cyke deserved better than he's gotten over the last couple of decades, but that doesn't change our affection for the guy. :colbert:

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

UberJumper posted:

[*] Annieka from Emperors Gift is going to get her own book eventually (apparently it involves warp and how time is really hosed up)

Ooh ooh this is the Inquisitor in that book right? This makes me really excited because her character was really nice and her retinue was interesting (a reformed heretic sounds fun)
Misc Crap

UberJumper posted:

[*]Wants to make a book about Octavia and Septimus about them trying fit themselves into imperial society, but BL said no.

BL literally hates everything that is good and just

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

UberJumper posted:

I listened to the podcast, there is a bunch of really interesting things in there.

Actual stuff about his projects coming up:

• His next project which he is going to start soon, is called Master of Mankind
  • Master of Mankind is about the War in the webway. Specifically a siege story, from the point of view of the imperial defenders loosing the webway war. According to ADB the book is "last death of the emperors dreams".
  • Cyrene's apparently going to have a huge arc and is going to be a huge important characther, and she is apparently deeply tied into 30k/40k lore (this surprised me)
  • New audio book by ADB coming very soon, involves Sevatar and a Little Girl :pedo:
  • Annieka from Emperors Gift is going to get her own book eventually (apparently it involves warp and how time is really hosed up)
  • Still wants to write about the Dark Angels, however he wants to write about the "Terran" Dark Angels
  • Ahriman Exile and future Talon of Horus books might intertwine.
All of this sounds great. I'd really like to see ADB handle the Dark Angels. They show up in Prince of Crows, but aren't a focus. I'd also read anything about them from Abnett since I liked his take on the Lion in Unremembered Empire. Even if that book was a crazy mess of plotlines.

UberJumper posted:

• Gav Thorpe apparently more or less has control of the Dark Angels for the HH :negative:
  • Wants to make a book about Octavia and Septimus about them trying fit themselves into imperial society, but BL said no.
:negative:

Speaking of Gav Thorpe, does anyone know how Master of Sanctity turned out? It's a sequel to Ravenwing which was alright. It was obvious he was asked to add all of the new units from the codex into the book; they were mentioned in the first few chapters and then promptly forgotten. He also tried way too hard to show that the Ravenwing can work in a bunch of environments. The book featured them riding around inside a space station and later climbing a mountain without their bikes. Dark Angels could result in some really good books instead of sub-par ones, but they need to be handed to someone else.

I don't like Gav Thorpe being the final authority on my favorite space men.
:goonsay:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Well, IS Decimus a mortal sired chapter master?

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

UberJumper posted:

Annieka vs Oct/Sep would of rocked. gently caress you GW.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

vigorous sodomy posted:

Want Nick Kyme to write a series of books about life from the perspective of a grot or gretchen.

So, an autobiography? :rimshot:

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

vigorous sodomy posted:

:iiam: He didn't actually give an answer. He just hates the question and wishes people would understand that your not going to get an answer to that question. Since writing about him would take place in M42.

Safety Factor posted:

All of this sounds great. I'd really like to see ADB handle the Dark Angels. They show up in Prince of Crows, but aren't a focus. I'd also read anything about them from Abnett since I liked his take on the Lion in Unremembered Empire. Even if that book was a crazy mess of plotlines.

I too want ADB to handle the Dark Angels. I know Abnett also said he is writing about the Dark Angel's "Dreadwing". Etherway drat it Thorpe.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Is there about a minute of missing audio from 15:30-16:30 for anyone else?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Fried Chicken posted:

Is there about a minute of missing audio from 15:30-16:30 for anyone else?

I think ADB said something he shouldn't have said, so it was edited out.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

vigorous sodomy posted:

Wouldn't all Space Marines and hence all Chapter Masters be mortal sired?

iminay
Dec 18, 2012

UberJumper posted:

• Is worried about the fact that he adds women to all his books to balance out the fact that all space marines are men.

This reminds me of the Scars novel(s) in which at one point the Sigilite mentions that he suggested to the Emperor to make the Primarchs women instead of men.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Khizan posted:

Wouldn't all Space Marines and hence all Chapter Masters be mortal sired?

Aren't new Chaos Space Marines created from a horrific process? That involves pregnant demons or something insane?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I thought they were created in much the same way as Loyalists: they implant their (corrupt) gene-seeds into human recruits.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Actually it depends on the Legion/Warband. There's people who uses cloning technology, like Fabius Bilis. Others do it old school, like in ADB's Night Lords trilogy, where they do the traditional implantation system. Inevitably, some use chaos shenanigans and other warp-fuelled nightmares worthy of appearing in a porn japanese animu/manga, read Dead Sky, Black Sun Don't, it's terrible.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Night Lords omnibus has hit the shelves; do your duty to the Legion.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma
Will I miss a lot of important stuff if I skip Descent of Angels in the Horus Heresy series? I can barely give it a couple of pages a day, and those couple of pages make me want to :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

mdemone posted:

Night Lords omnibus has hit the shelves; do your duty to the Legion.

Mine came in the mail last week but I was still working on The First Heretic. Finished that last night, so I'm starting the omnibus tonight. Very excited.

Other than Betrayer and First Heretic, what good books is Argel Tal in?