Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

calmasahinducow posted:

This has probably been asked before but can I add my unlimited data phone to a family plan without losing the unlimited data?

Not a More Everything plan, but you can put it on a Nationwide plan no problem. While not advertised, those are still available, and if you ask I'm sure they can move you on one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smilingokami
Nov 4, 2009
If I wanted to take my phone into Canada, what would I need to do to keep from getting a huge bill? I do have unlimited data as does my wife, and we would like to keep it. Is there anyway to do this?

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Turn off roaming and data roaming (they might be two different settings) in your network options.

smilingokami
Nov 4, 2009

Sigma posted:

Turn off roaming and data roaming (they might be two different settings) in your network options.

Well I did want to make calls and look stuff up while there, should have made that clear, apologies.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Are you going to canada to live or just making trips? If the latter, getting a prepaid sim might be a good idea even if it wouldn't preserve your unlimited.

Remember, verizon phones are unlocked, no unlock code required.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Here's the Canadian cellular thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3492258, last time I checked I think the answer was "All Canadian cell service sucks, especially prepaid." I usually just turn on the $25/100MB Verizon option if I'm only heading up for the weekend and hope I can find free wifi before uploading pictures or the like.

This might also be useful: http://prepaidwithdata.wikia.com/wiki/Canada

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hello Verizon thread. I am a Sprint customer, but I am thinking about switching carriers. I was wondering if I could get some insight from current Verizon Customers and or employees on the type of service they receive, both in terms of calls and data, as well as actual customer service. Basically, the Pros and Cons of going with Verizon. I have heard they are the most reliable/fastest data provider, but, consequently, are also the most expensive. A Confirm/deny, and info on anything else I should know would be greatly appreciated in helping me make my decision.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I get really good service all over rural northern Michigan when driving around for work, almost always 4g even in small remote towns. It really depends where you live though. Ask any family or friends in your area who have Verizon.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

The Bananana posted:

Hello Verizon thread. I am a Sprint customer, but I am thinking about switching carriers. I was wondering if I could get some insight from current Verizon Customers and or employees on the type of service they receive, both in terms of calls and data, as well as actual customer service. Basically, the Pros and Cons of going with Verizon. I have heard they are the most reliable/fastest data provider, but, consequently, are also the most expensive. A Confirm/deny, and info on anything else I should know would be greatly appreciated in helping me make my decision.

Ask a friend who has verizon to come over your house and preferably your work. See how the coverage is. Doesn't matter what the map says, coverage signal strength varies between buildings. Single line plans are $60 for 1 gig, $75 for 2 gig. Plus tax. If you need more data, the family plan is $40 per, and then I think $50 for 2 gig, $60 for 3, then $10 per extra 2 gig.

Customer service is hit or miss. When you get into the service, and ever have to call, put in your number when it asks, your social when it asks, when it gives you "press 1 to do this, 2 to do this", 4 should be additional options, hit that and say Customer Service to get a person. Or dial 0#0#0# to get sent to a person.

Deep Winter fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 11, 2014

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Bananana posted:

Generally, Verizon just wins on service. Theres always people with problems somewhere but in general I've found verizon to be the most reliable anywhere I go. Carrying Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon Side by side for years and years, My Verizon phone has always been the one with a signal when we needed it and always been the one with data when we were using it. AT&T was decent most of the time, and Sprint has always just been a giant roaming joke.

This is coming from driving across the country multiple times with all 3. Not "in my town".

Plus, I always have 4g On my verizon line. Very very rarely will I lose 4g, even in the middle of bumfuck nowhere.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
The only time I lose 4G is when I am at work inside Costco. Where I sell Verizon using the pitch that it works everywhere.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

Plus, I always have 4g On my verizon line. Very very rarely will I lose 4g, even in the middle of bumfuck nowhere.

Verizon is so good in bumfuck they actually sell 4G as a home internet service under the name fusion. Verizon the one company really committed to 4G everywhere.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Deep Winter posted:

Ask a friend who has verizon to come over your house and preferably your work. See how the coverage is. Doesn't matter what the map says, coverage signal strength varies between buildings.
This is important. Looking at my area on their map it's supposedly all LTE coverage, in reality I get 40-50mb/s at my house at the top of a hill but if I go down the hill to a main road there's no data and calls drop in a few spots.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

GWBBQ posted:

This is important. Looking at my area on their map it's supposedly all LTE coverage, in reality I get 40-50mb/s at my house at the top of a hill but if I go down the hill to a main road there's no data and calls drop in a few spots.

My house is super weird, I get 3g service if my phone is low enough. I have to hold my phone a bit high if I'm lying down or sitting in a recliner to get 4G lte.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Deep Winter posted:

My house is super weird, I get 3g service if my phone is low enough. I have to hold my phone a bit high if I'm lying down or sitting in a recliner to get 4G lte.
Depending on how much you use your phone at home, you might want to look into a signal repeater. It's an up front cost of a few hundred dollars, but if you're going to live there for a while it might be worth it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

GWBBQ posted:

Depending on how much you use your phone at home, you might want to look into a signal repeater. It's an up front cost of a few hundred dollars, but if you're going to live there for a while it might be worth it.

Worth it period depending on how easy it is to setup. Traveling recently Id of murdered for one due to similar reasons. Walk outside, full bars 40+ Meg LTE. Go inside, 1 bar 7 megs if im lucky and will most likely drop to 3g.

If you even have slightly sketchy service, its worth picking up one. Again though, Rarely have this issue with Verizon.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

GWBBQ posted:

Something generic or the Verizon Sponsored Samsung Network Extender? Because that requires high speed Internet and jack.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The range extenders are a waste. It uses your Internet. You are paying Verizon to access their network through your own Internet that you are also paying for. Just use WiFi. You should be getting enough phone service anywhere.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

The range extenders are a waste. It uses your Internet. You are paying Verizon to access their network through your own Internet that you are also paying for. Just use WiFi. You should be getting enough phone service anywhere.

Haha because what kinda mountain man doesnt have wifi

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Deep Winter posted:

Haha because what kinda mountain man doesnt have wifi

Are there people in this day and age who have broadband Internet but not WiFi? Even if they don't, a WiFi router is a better investment than a range extender.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cojawfee posted:

Theres a difference between a range extender thing from verizon and an actual signal repeater.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

And it looks like Verizon's microcell is CDMA only, so if your problem is that you're dropping to 3G (and can still make calls otherwise) then you're just throwing money away buying it as opposed to an actual repeater tuned to the LTE band.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
A year back I set our work up with some emergency phones in case our VoiP system goes down. They used to be Verizon and we paid like $50 a month for basic voice service on each. I switched them to an MVNO called TalkForGood which give me a nice $6 each plan.

Fast forward, TalkForGood goes out of business 6 months ago and makes no notification to me. I find out now, no problem, I'll switch the phones to PagePlus.

PagePlus tells me they can't activate any of the 10 phones because the MEID are "still activated with TalkForGood". Dude, even their website doesn't exist any more. Are these permanently bricked?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

For what it's worth, I just upped a 3G smartphone on unlimited data to an unsubsidized 4G and the Verizon website didn't give me any crap over keeping unlimited data. We will see what actually happens when I pick the thing up tomorrow afternoon.

vv Yes, and a data point that it still works! :cheers:

Midjack fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 15, 2014

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
That's the standard way to keep unlimited.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Midjack posted:

For what it's worth, I just upped a 3G smartphone on unlimited data to an unsubsidized 4G and the Verizon website didn't give me any crap over keeping unlimited data. We will see what actually happens when I pick the thing up tomorrow afternoon.

vv Yes, and a data point that it still works! :cheers:

You activated CPE and everything stayed the same as it should. I'm not sure what exactly you expected. A Verizon branded tactical squad to kick down your door and them to "take" "your" unlimited from your cold, dead fingers??

What exactly did you envision happening?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SeaborneClink posted:

You activated CPE and everything stayed the same as it should. I'm not sure what exactly you expected. A Verizon branded tactical squad to kick down your door and them to "take" "your" unlimited from your cold, dead fingers??

What exactly did you envision happening?

Yes I was up all night clutching my Mossberg waiting for the blue red and white helmets to come crashing through my door.

I was telling the thread that it still works as you'd expect. Have you never experienced a glitch in a website and/or a company changing its policies on you with no notice?

Have a pleasant Father's Day!

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Deep Winter posted:

Something generic or the Verizon Sponsored Samsung Network Extender? Because that requires high speed Internet and jack.
I mean an actual repeater with indoor and outdoor antenna units that retransmit signal between your phone and the tower, not a femtocell

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Midjack posted:

I was telling the thread that it still works as you'd expect. Have you never experienced a glitch in a website and/or a company changing its policies on you with no notice?

I clicked Reply, and thankfully I was taken to newreply.php and not newthread.php Whew! I thought I might have been tricked there for a minute!

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

GWBBQ posted:

I mean an actual repeater with indoor and outdoor antenna units that retransmit signal between your phone and the tower, not a femtocell

And you can get a decent Wilson antenna kit for about the same price as the pile of crap network extender anyway.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
So my contract is up as of yesterday! Too bad Verizon's LTE is too delicious to leave it be. Just need a 5.5" Motorola/iPhone to come out w volte+xlte so I can spend thousands of dollars on an unsubsidized phone!! Can we fast forward to September ?

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

cuedotcom posted:

So my contract is up as of yesterday! Too bad Verizon's LTE is too delicious to leave it be. Just need a 5.5" Motorola/iPhone to come out w volte+xlte so I can spend thousands of dollars on an unsubsidized phone!! Can we fast forward to September ?
If you're on a More Everything plan you can get a $10 or $25 (10 GB+) discount for being out of contract. The discount is not automatically added to all lines so call in to customer service if you don't have it.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Any of you who are "in the know" happen to know what sort of specials or promos are going to be going on around August 1st ? That's my contract renew date. I went by a local corp retail store to look around, and they had the Motorola Droid MAXX 16GB (the model phone I want) free with 2 year re-up :smithicide:. I have a 2 line More Everything plan (1 smart phone, 1 basic phone) with 3GB of data, and I saw no reason to get involved with Early EDGE(?) just to get the phone for free. Also, how involved is it to get a phone via Amazon.com ? Verizon seems to only offer the 16GB MAXX, and Amazon apparently offers the 32GB for $50 with contract.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

MREBoy posted:

Any of you who are "in the know" happen to know what sort of specials or promos are going to be going on around August 1st ? That's my contract renew date. I went by a local corp retail store to look around, and they had the Motorola Droid MAXX 16GB (the model phone I want) free with 2 year re-up :smithicide:. I have a 2 line More Everything plan (1 smart phone, 1 basic phone) with 3GB of data, and I saw no reason to get involved with Early EDGE(?) just to get the phone for free. Also, how involved is it to get a phone via Amazon.com ? Verizon seems to only offer the 16GB MAXX, and Amazon apparently offers the 32GB for $50 with contract.

August sucks for big sales, you may get better mileage by waiting for Labor Day (not really a big cell sale holiday) prices generally change week-to-week. Early edge doesn't make sense on your account, neither does Edge. Amazon.com is the same as getting from store with the caveat that if you reduce services or device swap the phone out to another line you may* incur a 3rd party termination fee payable to Amazon.

*I don't work for Amazon, and I don't intimately know their policies, so they may or may not apply to More Everything plans.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
How does edge work with family plans. Of you get two phones through it do you get the discount twice?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

SeaborneClink posted:

August sucks for big sales, you may get better mileage by waiting for Labor Day (not really a big cell sale holiday) prices generally change week-to-week. Early edge doesn't make sense on your account, neither does Edge. Amazon.com is the same as getting from store with the caveat that if you reduce services or device swap the phone out to another line you may* incur a 3rd party termination fee payable to Amazon.

*I don't work for Amazon, and I don't intimately know their policies, so they may or may not apply to More Everything plans.

Just throwing it out there, but I added a line, got a Moto X, then downgraded the line to a feature phone and activated the X on my line (with unlimited data) without any issue within the last 4 months.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm having a bit of a weird issue, on a completely stock Note 2. As in, not even rooted or anything.

It won't get 4G after a few days of being on. It must be rebooted completely to acquire a 4G signal again. I'm in a spot with 5 out of 5 bars right now so there's no reason I should ever not get 4G.

Anyone run into this issue on the same/similar phone before? I'm out of my one year manufacturer warranty so I can't go get it warranty repaired if it's broken.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

XIII posted:

Just throwing it out there, but I added a line, got a Moto X, then downgraded the line to a feature phone and activated the X on my line (with unlimited data) without any issue within the last 4 months.

There was talk in this thread earlier that starting sometime in May they began auditing phone swaps and swapping a "bought on contract" phone onto a line with unlimited would drop it to tiered. FordPrefectLL said it happened to someone whose unlimited they saved and the good days of subsidized unlimited saves are over.

But on the other hand it seems the internet would run red with seething anger if this were going on in a widespread manner so I wonder what's up. Maybe they were singling out certain indirect sellers who somehow made themselves known for doing lots of alt-upgrade maneuvers to save unlimited?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, I did it just slightly before Ford started warning people of the new rules, but, not to say I don't believe him, I think the Android blogs would have at least mentioned if a new company wide policy had gone around that threatened people's unlimited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

oxbrain posted:

How does edge work with family plans. Of you get two phones through it do you get the discount twice?

It's per line, so If you have four phones on edge, you have four discounts and four phone payment plans

• Locked thread