Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Speaking of fleets, if I set a fleet to patrol a system, they don't seem to be smart enough to go and refuel periodically if they need to. Will they do that if I turn on Automation maybe?

I think I'm leaning towards what ProfessorGroove suggested though, just making sure every ship has at least one passive collector to minimize having to micro my defense fleets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is there any way to make troop transports with preloaded troops or make them load troops quicker than a loving year?

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Elos posted:

Pre-warp start is good if you turn pirates to few and very weak or something.

I've found that if you want to neuter the pirates you're actually better off setting them to Many/Very Many. The more pirate factions there are the less territory there is to go around, and they spend far more time fighting each other than other empires. With fewer pirates one of them is more likely to gobble up everything of strategic value and become Space Blackbeard.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is it a good idea to put medical centers on troop transports or are they a waste of space?

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

double nine posted:

Is it a good idea to put medical centers on troop transports or are they a waste of space?

Yes. Medical Centers improve troop Readiness recovery.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MagnumOpus posted:

I've found that if you want to neuter the pirates you're actually better off setting them to Many/Very Many. The more pirate factions there are the less territory there is to go around, and they spend far more time fighting each other than other empires. With fewer pirates one of them is more likely to gobble up everything of strategic value and become Space Blackbeard.

I can confirm this. If you're not going to turn them off entirely it's better to have tons of them, they fight among themselves and are good targets for espionage.

WYA posted:

Is there any way to make troop transports with preloaded troops or make them load troops quicker than a loving year?

No, and I don't think so.

Griz
May 21, 2001

WYA posted:

I haven't noticed any issues with troop loading speed. I click the planet, the ship flies to the center, and the troops load/unload as soon as it comes to a full stop.

If your ships get stuck following the planet/moon around its orbit, add more engines.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Always add more engines.

Game needs a ramming option.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Blinks77 posted:

Always add more engines.

Game needs a ramming option.

While they're not the same, loading up one class of your ships with assault shuttles is always fun and a huge research booster.

Not ship ramming, sure, but the next best thing.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

nutranurse posted:

While they're not the same, loading up one class of your ships with assault shuttles is always fun and a huge research booster.

Not ship ramming, sure, but the next best thing.

It's like ship DVDADHO. Which is better, really.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

1.9.5.3 is out today:

quote:

Distant Worlds: Universe is now updated to 1.9.5.3. This patch fixes some high priority issues, as well as a number of minor issues to help create a more stable Distant Worlds experience. Distant worlds is improved even further with some new interface tweaks, making the game better than ever!

This update will automatically install when you restart Steam.

The change list is below:

This build has the following changes from 1.9.5.2:

CRASH FIXES
- fixed crash when drawing long range scanners in galaxy view
- fixed crash when drawing planet in hover panel
- fixed crash when auto-saving game
- fixed crash when loading game with custom theme from main menu
- fixed crash when drawing Empire Navigation Tool
- fixed crash with advisor message when invading independent colonies
- fixed crash when investigating ruins
- fixed crash when calculating troop strength
- fixed crash when editing ship design
- fixed crash when edit very large stars in game editor
- fixed crash when AI assigns new mining mission

BUG FIXES
- altered Windows API used for checking mouse location to fix screen scrolling to top-left (thus avoiding bug in Windows Vista 64-bit)
- fixed bases detaching from their parent planet/moon/asteroid when initiate retrofit before they are finished their previous retrofit
- sound volume now properly remembered when load games
- Unload Troops missions are now cancelled when target colony changes ownership (thus avoid unloading troops at enemy colony)
- fixed misleading message when your special forces troops destroy hidden pirate base facility at one of your own colonies
- main view now properly regains focus for mouse scroll-wheel when close Build Order screen
- fixed rare bug with pirate colonies over-ordering construction resources
- fixed display problems with main menu screen in Windows XP

USER INTERFACE
- enabled scaling of Empire Navigation Tool at screen left - use new size button next to close button in each panel to cycle 3 sizes: normal, large, extra large

OTHER
- improved how Action buttons (under Selection Panel) determine which mining station design to show (gas vs mineral) when building mining stations at planets/moons/asteroids (better support for custom themes with unusual resource distributions)

Talky
Mar 26, 2010
I had been eyeballing this game for a while, but never picked it up because of the price / it not being on Steam. I got it a couple days ago, and have been really enjoying it!

I've got a question that I can't seem to find an answer to through googling, or maybe I'm missing it. But does the quality of a race's troops effect the strength of their assault pod boarders? I know Boskara ground troops for example are stronger then Teekan ground troops. But I don't know if that also means pods from a Boskara ship will be stronger then pods from a Teenak one, or if that's all just based on weapons tree research.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So I've finally got enough of a handle on the game that I'm starting to expand. But I don't think I'm doing particularly well, because my private sector is crashing left and right. I noticed that my first colony was short on fuel, but my private sector was out of money, so I couldn't build a gas miner in the sector. I have a mercenary supply mission running, but it doesn't seem to be working very well. But my private sector was definitely trying to deliver to it, but then they'd want to refuel, but the only place to do that was a neutral world that had about 50 pirate vessels just hanging out above it all the time for no discernible reason.

Since I managed to salvage some capital ships from out in the void, I gathered them all up and sent them to clear this place out so at least my private sector wouldn't continuously suicide themselves there. I've got control of the planet's orbit now, but there is a non-stop wave of new pirate ships warping in, and getting continuously massacred by my fleet. It's hilarious, but I don't understand why they're doing it. My best guess is because there's an unfinished Hidden Pirate Base down on the surface? Whatever it is, I'm watching the military power of those involved drop like a stone. :v:

I colonized it just because, and I guess I'll have to wipe the base out to make them stop?

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

PittTheElder posted:

So I've finally got enough of a handle on the game that I'm starting to expand. But I don't think I'm doing particularly well, because my private sector is crashing left and right. I noticed that my first colony was short on fuel, but my private sector was out of money, so I couldn't build a gas miner in the sector. I have a mercenary supply mission running, but it doesn't seem to be working very well. But my private sector was definitely trying to deliver to it, but then they'd want to refuel, but the only place to do that was a neutral world that had about 50 pirate vessels just hanging out above it all the time for no discernible reason.

I'm really confused by players that get private sector crashes. Typically in my games the private sector balance just grows and grows... You're not running a corporate nationalist government are you?

Check the net income and balance on the empire screen. If your private sector has a negative or close to negative balance then you really should fix that by lowering taxes. Unless it's the lategame it's likely only your homeworld generates any money by the way, so leave taxes at 0% elsewhere in order to encourage growth. You'll get the money back anyway since the private sector pays your state account to buy new ships.

If you can't afford to lower taxes then you probably have serious maintenance issues due to overdeveloping your military or due to supply shortages. Either way those issues need to be addressed.

Anyway if it's really a problem with the private sector accounts, try going to the design screen, find your gas mining station design. Copy it, change the type to a starbase and rename it to something like "State Subsidized Gas Mining Station". Now you should be able to build the gas mining station space station with state funds. You can do the same thing with regular mining stations if you want.

PittTheElder posted:

Since I managed to salvage some capital ships from out in the void, I gathered them all up and sent them to clear this place out so at least my private sector wouldn't continuously suicide themselves there. I've got control of the planet's orbit now, but there is a non-stop wave of new pirate ships warping in, and getting continuously massacred by my fleet. It's hilarious, but I don't understand why they're doing it. My best guess is because there's an unfinished Hidden Pirate Base down on the surface? Whatever it is, I'm watching the military power of those involved drop like a stone. :v:

I colonized it just because, and I guess I'll have to wipe the base out to make them stop?

You should always colonize independent worlds if possible, they're much better than colonizing an entirely new world and there's no downside.

Having played the pirates myself, world control can easily be the biggest part of their income, and they get it by parking military ships in orbit.
So the reason they keep trying to get you gone is simply because you're costing them all the money they could be making at that colony.

By all means wipe their base out, as long as it exists and is complete they can't go below 50% control. They aren't going to stop trying to control the colony though until they run out of ships, and they can keep making more ships at their hidden bases. So in addition to killing whatever ships come in and fight you at the colony, also look around for their pirate starports, mining bases, and gas mining stations.

The nice thing about pirates is typically they have only one construction ship, so any base you take from them will cost them a lot. You probably won't be able to completely destroy the pirates since in order to do that you have to kill their last starport, resupply ship, and construction ship. The last ones are pretty good at not being seen and running away. But if you just kill all their starports and military ships then they won't be building any more for a long, long time.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Lowen posted:

You should always colonize independent worlds if possible, they're much better than colonizing an entirely new world and there's no downside.

Alternatively, if you have no colony ships that can reach an independent colony due to range issues, send in a starfleet to secure the system first and then an invasion fleet to take the independent colony by force. This works for all independents, IIRC, so have fun sending you mandudes to fight robots living on a lava world.

You get a hit to your reputation if you do this and if you do it consistently enough you'll be known as that one mean dude who invades everyone.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Talky posted:

But does the quality of a race's troops effect the strength of their assault pod boarders?

I've only ever seen debate about it on the Matrix forums, but the leading opinion seems to be that it does. My boarders seem more effective when I'm a strong combat race but that might just be confirmation bias.

PittTheElder posted:

The pirates are there for the same reason as your civvies: the fuel. They must not have any other convenient fueling locations in the area. Congratulations you've got a wonderful pirate honeypot there. Assign your Ship Captains and Fleet Admirals to the defense fleet there, then rename the colony Fleet Training Zone.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

I can never seem to get my defense fleet to actually, y'know, defend. I have to manually tell them to attack whatever enemy ship it is every time.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Lowen posted:

I'm really confused by players that get private sector crashes. Typically in my games the private sector balance just grows and grows... You're not running a corporate nationalist government are you?

Check the net income and balance on the empire screen. If your private sector has a negative or close to negative balance then you really should fix that by lowering taxes. Unless it's the lategame it's likely only your homeworld generates any money by the way, so leave taxes at 0% elsewhere in order to encourage growth. You'll get the money back anyway since the private sector pays your state account to buy new ships.

If you can't afford to lower taxes then you probably have serious maintenance issues due to overdeveloping your military or due to supply shortages. Either way those issues need to be addressed.

Well I do think I've desperately over-extended militarily, so I've been forced to run like 25% taxes on my homeworld. Which I'm pretty sure is hurting me badly in the long term, but whatever, I'll just gently caress something else up later anyway. Of course I'm not sure how I would throttle down either way. I've only got one pirate protection pact going, because I settled a world they have a base on, and they absolutely savage anything that goes near it. So until I can pull the capital ships off the Pirate Thunderdome, I don't know that I can stop paying them.

quote:

Anyway if it's really a problem with the private sector accounts, try going to the design screen, find your gas mining station design. Copy it, change the type to a starbase and rename it to something like "State Subsidized Gas Mining Station". Now you should be able to build the gas mining station space station with state funds. You can do the same thing with regular mining stations if you want.

This is genius, I will do that.

quote:

So the reason they keep trying to get you gone is simply because you're costing them all the money they could be making at that colony.

By all means wipe their base out, as long as it exists and is complete they can't go below 50% control. They aren't going to stop trying to control the colony though until they run out of ships, and they can keep making more ships at their hidden bases. So in addition to killing whatever ships come in and fight you at the colony, also look around for their pirate starports, mining bases, and gas mining stations.

The nice thing about pirates is typically they have only one construction ship, so any base you take from them will cost them a lot. You probably won't be able to completely destroy the pirates since in order to do that you have to kill their last starport, resupply ship, and construction ship. The last ones are pretty good at not being seen and running away. But if you just kill all their starports and military ships then they won't be building any more for a long, long time.

Well, the thing is, of the pirate groups that are constantly attacking that world, none of them are the ones with the base on the planet. So I have no damned idea what they want.

Blinks77 posted:

I can never seem to get my defense fleet to actually, y'know, defend. I have to manually tell them to attack whatever enemy ship it is every time.

I think there was a decent guide to fleets on page 26 or 27 of the thread. It taught me how to set Fleet Defense priorities, which has been really useful given the constant pirate assaults on me.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Well, the thing is, of the pirate groups that are constantly attacking that world, none of them are the ones with the base on the planet. So I have no damned idea what they want.

So the way that pirates work is they are always trying to fight over "Control" of colonies, a mechanical value that is hidden from Empire players. The rough details:

- Control is generated by having pirate vessels in orbit of the planet
- Only one pirate faction can have a positive Control percentage at a time; if another faction pulls up into orbit, they will first reduce the current rating for the controlling faction to 0% and then begin building their own.
- At 50% Control, the pirate faction can drop $30k to build a Hidden Pirate Base at the colony. This locks Control to their faction and let's them start building the next tiers of pirate facilities.
- Hidden Pirate Bases can only be removed by ground combat on the planet. Either initiated by the colony owner or by other pirates when they raid the planet.

So the reason you are seeing all those pirates from other factions show up is because they desperately want to drop raiders on the planet so that they can destroy the Hidden Pirate Base and unlock the colony Control.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Right, it has been my experience that after I destroyed a pirate base on a world, the other pirates stopped coming.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Lowen posted:

It's really easy to crash the Civilian economy through two different methods that I imagine most experienced players skipped past dealing with long ago:

1) Rapid expansion across large areas of space. Lots of Civilian ships get built but your colony income is small and what little income they do make is eaten up by maintenance costs quicker than the freighters can the colonies can go and over time the increasing maintenance costs from long trips without a lot of benefit cause a death spiral.

2) Building lots of military ships (even if just cheap escorts) without enough construction space to let your Civilians pump out ships in between so the colony income stagnates while you go into a hole and death spiral. Especially if you're working with the original construction ship or two and are resource strapped.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

In my current epic game I've just moved some long-range sensor scouts into the south-east corner of the map, a sort of rough no-mans land that the rest of civilized space has ignored while the "great powers" waged war. This place is a real poo poo-hole. Seven single-system states fight losing defensive wars against a Gizurean empire, following the Way of Darkness, that dominates the major cluster. The Tairoshans were at one time the gatekeepers and police of the area but they're now beset by Yor on one side and Ortain on the other, losing ground every year. Basically the grease-trap of the galaxy. The only reason I'd even sent recon ships down there was to track down the legendary pirates that made the region their home (of course). Found their starbase finally just as a battlegroup of Ancient Guardian ships dropped out of hyperspace around it and opened fire.

They lost. The pirates captured five of their ships. I see another, smaller, Ancient Guardian strike-force on it's way to the system.

This could get ugly.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
...For the record, do you have an idea what the tech level of the galaxy? I find it unbelievable that the Ancient Guardians, who are by default max-tech, could be dropped by anything who isn't at least close to max tech themselves.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Bloodly posted:

...For the record, do you have an idea what the tech level of the galaxy? I find it unbelievable that the Ancient Guardians, who are by default max-tech, could be dropped by anything who isn't at least close to max tech themselves.

Well these are "Legendary Pirates" so they have multiple capitals and their lair is a starbase with 2 beefy defense bases. And the Ancients went right at it like at least they got chicken.

Tech level peak is probably around 4-5 for the leading empires as this is a 480k research speed game.

EDIT: Now the Ortain have sent a colony ship from 2.5 sectors away to colonize a planet in the system. So that'll be under pirate control instantly and the Ortain will probably start sending regular strikeforces to the system for the pirates to snack on between Ancient Meals.

MagnumOpus fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 15, 2014

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

nutranurse posted:

Alternatively, if you have no colony ships that can reach an independent colony due to range issues, send in a starfleet to secure the system first and then an invasion fleet to take the independent colony by force. This works for all independents, IIRC, so have fun sending you mandudes to fight robots living on a lava world.

You get a hit to your reputation if you do this and if you do it consistently enough you'll be known as that one mean dude who invades everyone.

What's awesome is to do this in someone else's territory, especially if it's the territory of a new colony, because it'll basically let you steal a bunch of their territory. If it's territory claimed by a new colony they independent planet's population will be so much better that their new colony basically gets completely cut off.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I'm really enjoying my current game.

The first races I met were the Sol Empire and the Kiadians, and at this point in the game, we've been in a triple defensive pact for more than a century. The Sol Alliance and me (The Asari) account for over 50% of the galaxy's population combined, and we're neck in neck for the victory, with me at 76% (of 80) and them at 72%. But i've been catching up and overtaking them lately, since stopped assisting in all their wars of aggression, and started focusing on improving my economy and expanding my colonies.

E; I'm a democracy, so I've needed very little excuse to invade half the galaxy, especially since I've been surrounded by despots and military dictatorships- or worse, hiveminds. You can see the remnants of the boskar hive to the south. They used to be very big, and my main antagonist. They owned most of my current southwestern territories some decades ago, but after they destroyed three of my colonies to kick off a war, I destroyed their homeworld with its 20000m bugs, and crippled their entire empire in retaliation, enough for the Ackdarians to start moving in :angel:

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jun 15, 2014

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Bah, I can't get my fleets to retrofit. I can manually select ships, choose retrofit and they'll go to the nearest port and come out with the right design. When I retrofit a fleet though either through the right-click menu or the fleets screen they move to a space port, hang out for a minute, and then the retrofit order is complete without any of the ships being changed. Am I doing something wrong?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Less Fat Luke posted:

Bah, I can't get my fleets to retrofit. I can manually select ships, choose retrofit and they'll go to the nearest port and come out with the right design. When I retrofit a fleet though either through the right-click menu or the fleets screen they move to a space port, hang out for a minute, and then the retrofit order is complete without any of the ships being changed. Am I doing something wrong?
Ah no I'm dumb. The names of the ships don't actually change when the retrofit happened - the Frigates were all still Frigate Mk1-015, Mk1-016 and so on but when I manually check them they have the newer design. That's... annoying :)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

How do you defeat the Shaktur empire? They only have their home planet left and I'm blockading it, but it's impossible to invade since they have about 8000K troops there. I don't know where they're getting the money from.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

How do you defeat the Shaktur empire? They only have their home planet left and I'm blockading it, but it's impossible to invade since they have about 8000K troops there. I don't know where they're getting the money from.

If only there were a way to destroy those 8000K troops without landing on the planet.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Build a fleet armed with large numbers of nuclear devastators and nuke them until the planet is an irradiated husk.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Alright, so new game, new questions. I somewhat stupidly just ordered the retrofit of a bunch of stuff, including my one homeworld spaceport, adding the addition of weapons, but it turns out I have no supply of Osalia, so production on all those things has stalled. I can't go get a supply of Osalia myself because my construction ships are queue'd for the retrofit that will add hyperdrives, and there's none in-system, or even in the adjacent systems. I offered a mercenary smuggling mission for it, but none has showed up, which might be because I set pirates to Few and Weak, and none have showed up yet.

So I think I need to cancel the retrofit of my station so that my construction ships can get upgraded (those do not require Osalia). But the only button that does this is 'scrap ship', and I really, really don't want it to actually scrap my spaceport, just cancel the retrofit. Can some kind soul confirm that that's what will happen?

e: The ability to halt progress on the station retrofit and start work on the Construction Ships would also work, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that. I see that I can re-prioritize what's in the queue, but not effect what's currently happening. Is there a way to give my planet a second construction yard?

e2: I'm an idiot, I can just save and then try it. Too much EU4 ironman.

e3: Holy poo poo it really does destroy the station. Now I don't know what the gently caress to do.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 16, 2014

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Does anyone know how I might go about combining the Mass Effect 2.1 mod with the Extended Universe mod so I can use both sets of races in one game?

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

I have some newbie questions regarding ship sizes, roles, and upgrading:

1. Is the game balanced around the idea of escorts, frigates, destroyers, etc. all staying roughly the same size and/or firepower throughout the game? Like is a frigate at the beginning of the tech tree similar in size and firepower to one late in the tech tree, but can simply maneuver better, go further faster, survive longer, etc?

2. Am I doing something wrong or does it seem like fewer, more powerful ships are way cheaper to maintain than many smaller, less powerful ships? Like a ship that has double the firepower and survivability of another doesn't cost double to build and maintain.

3. If 1 and 2 are correct, then why even bother building escorts if it will cost too much to build enough to overcome their crappy damage?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
1. No, in that you can make an 'escort' that's as big as a capital ship if you so choose. There are no size limitations other than hard maximums that can be raised via research, and what you intend for the ship to do. If you have a 300 ship size cap, your Escort, Frigate, Destroyer, and Capital Ship can all be up to that 300. There's nothing like 'Escorts must be 150, Destroyers must be 200' enforced by the game. The improved or different parts allow for more variety, more firepower, or so on. It's pretty much up to you how you do things. Almost anything you add will improve things as compared to the AI, which uses stock designs.

2. You may also need to consider the resources you need to build it and how long it'll take to build or retrofit the fleet.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

I feel like the ship types might have some effect on ship behavior when automated. Escorts seem to focus on escort civilian ships, Frigates seem to spend most of their time patrolling planets and mining systems, Cruisers seem to wander around performing attack missions on Kaltor swarms and the like.

All of this is anecdotal of course and I have not seen much discussion of it on the Matrix forums.

EDIT: I didn't notice these behaviors until a recent game where I repaired something like 100 ships from debris fields. I usually put all of my ships into fleets with explicit defense orders, but when you are repairing derelicts you can't actually give them orders yet (no buttons) at the time that they "come online", so when their final repairs are done they jump right to automation. Had so many that I was just leaving them on auto until I needed to augment the existing fleets, and that's when I started seeing this difference in behavior.

MagnumOpus fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 16, 2014

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Does increased size directly effect maximum speed? I would expect the benefit of smaller ships to be that they are more maneuverable and faster, but I can't really tell if that's the case.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Does increased size directly effect maximum speed? I would expect the benefit of smaller ships to be that they are more maneuverable and faster, but I can't really tell if that's the case.

Size affects speed indirectly as engines generate Thrust (either direct or vectored), and Speed is derived from Thrust versus Size. As you add more components the Size of the ship increases and the movement/turn speeds reduce. You can offset this with more engines/vectors but then you are getting even bigger so you'll end up seeing diminishing returns as you need more Hab Modules and Life Support, more fuel storage for all those engines, etc... Eventually you'll find yourself hitting a plateau as all the stuff you need to add per engine gets excessive, and the solution to that is to research up your thruster/vector techs.

Pro-tip edit: Turn radius is just as important as speed. Especially true for non-military ships because they need to rotate to their new heading before engaging hyperspace drives, like every time they leave a spaceport/mine or when aligning for warp to escape ships and monsters.

MagnumOpus fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 16, 2014

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Bloodly posted:

1. No, in that you can make an 'escort' that's as big as a capital ship if you so choose. There are no size limitations other than hard maximums that can be raised via research, and what you intend for the ship to do. If you have a 300 ship size cap, your Escort, Frigate, Destroyer, and Capital Ship can all be up to that 300. There's nothing like 'Escorts must be 150, Destroyers must be 200' enforced by the game. The improved or different parts allow for more variety, more firepower, or so on. It's pretty much up to you how you do things. Almost anything you add will improve things as compared to the AI, which uses stock designs.

2. You may also need to consider the resources you need to build it and how long it'll take to build or retrofit the fleet.
I get that there's no size limit (technology permitting) for each ship type, I just thought that there was some design intent for the relative sizes of each ship type based on the default designs (and naval history and video games in general). Like if my design for a speedy, maneuverable, 2-gun "escort" ends up nearly as big and expensive as my more capable frigates, maybe that's the game telling me that what I want isn't possible without sacrificing something in the design or researching improved versions of engines or weapons or whatever. Basically so I don't go and design the spaceship equivalent of the Bradley fighting vehicle or F-35.

MagnumOpus posted:

Pro-tip edit: Turn radius is just as important as speed. Especially true for non-military ships because they need to rotate to their new heading before engaging hyperspace drives, like every time they leave a spaceport/mine or when aligning for warp to escape ships and monsters.
After a few false starts with pre-warp researching I noticed that better thruster tech has a huge bang for the buck, especially for smaller ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
While larger ships are pretty much going to be better and more efficient than smaller ones, there's almost no way to make them fast in tactical situations.

• Locked thread