Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

I've got a growler of Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA and a backup 6 pack of lovely beer. My body is ready for Ghana/USA. U-S-A! U-S-A!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

ephex posted:

I just had some good beers that I bought at the store and then put in the fridge and drank them when I felt like they were cold enough.

The taste was very beery and I decided not to be an enormous fag about beer so I just drank it.

imo people who talk about "banana notes" and "mouthfeel" and fruity citrus notes and all the notes, are full of poo poo liars.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

vaginal culture posted:

imo people who talk about "banana notes" and "mouthfeel" and fruity citrus notes and all the notes, are full of poo poo liars.
Lol do you not notice when your beer tastes like Citrus?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

This is the best beer, you can buy it at Albertsons. loving good beer. Has west coast notes, with a glacier fresh mouth feel. Great while out fishing, hiking, skiing, or PC gaming.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

vaginal culture posted:

I get what you're saying a lot of the time, but you're crazy if you can't taste the difference between a hefeweizen that tastes of banana or one that tastes of clove

As for summer beers, I'm way into radlers, russns, and Summer Solstice cream ale from Anderson Valley

i am Not a Real Man

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

ALFbrot posted:

I get what you're saying a lot of the time, but you're crazy if you can't taste the difference between a hefeweizen that tastes of banana or one that tastes of clove

As for summer beers, I'm way into radlers, russns, and Summer Solstice cream ale from Anderson Valley

i am Not a Real Man

Must not have bananas and citrus fruits up there in canadaland.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

vaginal culture posted:

Mouthfeel is how it feels in your mouth, does it feel like you're drinking water or a milkshake?

Also banana notes are from yeasts that give of esters, British tends to be fruity or cherry pie, German's Hefeweizen gives banana or clove. Brett yeast can give smokey, barn house, pineapple and other aromas and flavours.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

vaginal culture posted:

Those people also enjoy hot salty cum notes on their tongues imo

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Fluo posted:

Also banana notes are from yeasts that give of esters, British tends to be fruity or cherry pie, German's Hefeweizen gives banana or clove. Brett yeast can give smokey, barn house, pineapple and other aromas and flavours.

Nah I don't believe it is real. Its just made up poo poo. People all gaslighting each other. Barn house lmao.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I drink beer to get drunk and sometimes I buy the nicer beer so I can enjoy a good taste before I get down to business.

That said I like this thread and Im learning about all these new beers, thanks for making it beer-man. I will try to find a bottle of Cool Beer 69 at some point.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ABen posted:

Weihenstephaner is the best beer in the world, so that's fine. But I lived in Seattle for the past 3 or 4 years, and I definitely got very sick of the "all of the hops, all of the time" mindset. And I really liked the stuff (IPAs) - to a degree. Also, not a big fan of double/Imperial IPAs. A bit too hoppy. Give me a Helles any day and I'll be happy, though.

IPA has its place, but it's not the end all/be all of beer.

Imperial IPAs and the like go really well with something spicy as poo poo, drinking them alone is rough. Since you lived in Seattle you probably are familiar with the 7stars szechuan place, something like Snoqualmie Falls IPA goes great with the peppercorns from that place.

I tend to just drink regular ales like Manny's though, because when I'm out I want to drink a gallon of beer, not 3 pints.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Do people in Seattle still drink vitamin R

Fluo
May 25, 2007

vaginal culture posted:

Nah I don't believe it is real. Its just made up poo poo. People all gaslighting each other. Barn house lmao.

If you listened at school in your science class you'd know all about Esters & Phenols. :argh:

Esters
Esters provide a huge portion of yeast-derived beer flavor. They tend to come off as fruity in flavor, but each ester tastes a little different. There's Isoamyl acetate, which tastes like banana Runts. There's ethyl acetate, which tastes like nail polish remover. There's ethyl caprylate and caproate, which taste like apples, pears, or anise.
Generally speaking, ester production is directly related to fermentation, and warmer fermentation temps increase their presence. There's many other factors at play here, especially the strain of yeast being used, but the lower fermentation temperature is why you don't encounter esters as overtly in lagers as you do in ales.

Phenols
Phenols, which also occur in every beer, are produced not just from yeast, but also from other beer ingredients or chemicals like chlorine found in brewing water. (For example, tannins are a type of phenol present in both hops and malt). But we're talking about yeast here, and there are a couple well-known and easily-identifiable yeast-derived phenols that you'll encounter in your pint.
If you've ever had a real hefeweizen, you've tasted 4-vinyl guaiacol. Most commonly compared to a clove-like spiciness, it is produced by yeast's interaction with ferulic acid, which is found in barley.
You may have also tasted 4-ethyl phenol—produced by the wild yeast Brettanomyces. This is the phenol people are talking about when they refer to "horse blanket" or "barnyard" character in a beer.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Iran 0 Nigeria 0. Neither is going through, what a poo poo match.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Fluo posted:

Iran 0 Nigeria 0. Neither is going through, what a poo poo match.

Just like this thread and your posting.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

ephex posted:

Just like this thread and your posting.
stop trolling the beer thread ephex its more than my feeble heart can take

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Fluo posted:

If you listened at school in your science class you'd know all about Esters & Phenols. :argh:

Esters
Esters provide a huge portion of yeast-derived beer flavor. They tend to come off as fruity in flavor, but each ester tastes a little different. There's Isoamyl acetate, which tastes like banana Runts. There's ethyl acetate, which tastes like nail polish remover. There's ethyl caprylate and caproate, which taste like apples, pears, or anise.
Generally speaking, ester production is directly related to fermentation, and warmer fermentation temps increase their presence. There's many other factors at play here, especially the strain of yeast being used, but the lower fermentation temperature is why you don't encounter esters as overtly in lagers as you do in ales.

Phenols
Phenols, which also occur in every beer, are produced not just from yeast, but also from other beer ingredients or chemicals like chlorine found in brewing water. (For example, tannins are a type of phenol present in both hops and malt). But we're talking about yeast here, and there are a couple well-known and easily-identifiable yeast-derived phenols that you'll encounter in your pint.
If you've ever had a real hefeweizen, you've tasted 4-vinyl guaiacol. Most commonly compared to a clove-like spiciness, it is produced by yeast's interaction with ferulic acid, which is found in barley.
You may have also tasted 4-ethyl phenol—produced by the wild yeast Brettanomyces. This is the phenol people are talking about when they refer to "horse blanket" or "barnyard" character in a beer.

Do they have the same chemistry as the actual flavor things or do people just think they taste like them, it all seems very snake oil to me.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

vaginal culture posted:

Do they have the same chemistry as the actual flavor things or do people just think they taste like them, it all seems very snake oil to me.

They have aromas very much like those, our tongue can't really taste that much apart from the primary bitter, sweet, sour, salty and umami. Our nose however picks up pretty much all the other smells and aromas. It's not snake oil stop trolling my thread vaginal culture! :(

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I'm GOING TOI DIG OUT AN APA

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Belgium vs Algeria

Belgium
Don't worry there will be a sour but for the first game I recommend

Rochefort Trappistes 10 (Brewed by Brasserie Rochefort) 11.3%.

COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION
The top product from the Rochefort Trappist brewery. Dark color, full and very impressive taste. Strong plum, raisin, and black currant palate, with ascending notes of vinousness and other complexities.

For all its complexity, and the alcohol strength, it’s an extraordinarily pleasurable beer to drink. It looks great, with the head persisting on top of the mahogany body right to the end of the glass. The aroma leads you into an amazing range of perfectly balanced flavours - malt loaf, delicately spiced toffee pudding, plums, brown sugar, cream, sherry, molasses. A full creamy body with tongue-tingling carbonation. I give it 10/10. :)

Algeria
Algeria: Contrary to widely held belief, they do brew beer in Algeria. And it's called Tango. So there's comedy value too. If you can't find it, then just drink some of the orange fizzy stuff, and pretend it's Bud. There's little difference.

Tango

Straw yellow colour blah blah blah blah it's a lager, can't find it just drink whatever pale lager you have.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 17, 2014

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

vaginal culture posted:

Esthers are what is used in artificial flavours. So it might taste like your typical "Banana" or "Strawberry" flavoured food item. So about as real as banana flavoured milk.

SandersPacheco
Jul 15, 2004

Faster than light

Fluo posted:

Costa Rica

For the first beer to try and avoid the obvious Imperial beer for the first game, I decided it should be Costa Rica’s Segua Red Ale (Costa Rica’s Craft Brewing Co.) 5%.

Clear amber, small head. Bready nose with roses and grapefruit. Mid dry with light-medium body and clean, rounded mouthfeel. Crystal malt and toast, slight citrus hops. Mid bittet finish. Nicely balanced and very drinkable.

Bit late for this, but this was the right choice. Libertas is p good as well.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Belgium 2 - 1 Algeria, Rochefort Trappistes 10 goes through!

Now Brazil vs Mexico

Brazil

Baden Baden Red Ale Especial (brewed by Cervejaria Baden Baden) one of the first microbreweries in Brazil :eng101:! 9.2%.

Appearance: Amber dark red with a creamy head with low retention, making a lacing in the end. Smell: Caramel and herbal citric hops making a good remarkable bouquet. Taste: Follows the nose with a surprise bitterness in the begginning, that become more alcoholic and sweet after some time. Mouthfeel: Warmth alcoholic with low carbonation and very sweet aftertaste.

Mexico

Dos Equis Amber Lager (Brewed by Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V)

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear medium to dark amber in color with light amounts of active visible carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass and some copper highlights. The beer has a finger tall fizzy foamy off-white head that reduces to a large patch of thin film covering almost the entire surface of the beer and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed. Smell: Moderate aromas of toasted malts and caramel with lighter aromas of corn adjuncts. Taste: Upfront there are moderate flavors of toasted and caramel malts with just a hint of corn adjuncts and a light amount of sweetness. Minimal amounts of bitterness in the finish which does not linger for long. Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Relatively smooth.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

vaginal culture posted:

Do people in Seattle still drink vitamin R
Yes. It's always the cheapest beer in stores/bars.

cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

Finally got the ales in. Tucking into some crap M&S range but theyre not totally piss. IPA, Stout and a pale ale ftw.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Negra Modelo is the best mexican beer, and hell, one of the best of all

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Brazil 0 - 0 Mexico, no beer going through.

Tzen posted:

Yes. It's always the cheapest beer in stores/bars.

Is it a decent pale lager cheap and easy drink?

Russia vs South Korea

Russia

As you know Imperial Russian Stouts were never brewed in Russia but Britain and exported to the Russian Elite at that time. So what about Russian beer? Baltika is owned by Calsberg but apparently brewed in St Petersburg however it tastes like any of the other lagers you can get with that slight difference each of them have, it's on sale in Tescos though if someone wants an easy to get Russian beer for the future Russian matches. However won't be doing it today but giving a heads up, I have no idea however how easy it's to get in North America. Is Mccarthyism still going on up there? Not a winner beer though. Na Zdorovye! If any of you are homebrewers you could try and brew a Kvass 2.5% beer. I'll post the recipe in a bit of the one I use, drink young etc. Anyway so the beer I've gone for today is

Klinskoye Svetloe 4.5%

Klinskoye is a pale beer with clear taste and soft hop bitterness. It is a flagship brand of the SUN Interbrew Group of companies in Russia and holds a leading position in the Russian beer market. Skillful brewers have developed several varieties: Klinskoye Svetloye (4.5% ABV); Klinskoye Zolotoye (4.5% ABV); Klinskoye Lux (5% ABV); Klinskoye Redkoye (5.8% ABV); Klinskoye Arriva (4.5% ABV) and

Available in multiple varieties with Klinskoye Svetloe being the most popular, this brand labels itself a crisp and hoppy beer that is specially brewed with rice to remove the beer's natural bitter taste. This process not only weirds out beer lovers, but also adds to the beer's ability to quickly quench thirst... while being a beer and simultaneously contributing to unquenchable thirst!

To finish up, it was only a couple of years ago when beer became alcohol in Russia, prior to it beer was a "soft drink".

quote:

Many Russians consider beer a soft drink – a light refresher that can be guzzled on the way to work or sucked down in great quantities before a picnic and a swim in the river.
Hard drinkers sniff at its weakness, as the saying goes: "Beer without vodka is like throwing money to the wind."
But a hung-over nation will wake up to a new and troubling reality on New Year's Day when beer in Russia becomes classified as an alcoholic drink for the very first time.
Until now the brew has been considered a foodstuff along with all other drinks under 10 per cent in strength. An array of international and local brands from Amstel to Efes and Baltika to Zhiguli could be bought from street kiosks or at railway stations, as well as from countless 24-hour corner shops, just like fruit juice or mineral water.
Morning or evening, people supping from cans or bottles are a common sight in parks, squares and on Moscow's Metro.
Beer's new status as alcohol, however, will prevent retail sales from street outlets such as kiosks, railway stations, bus stops and petrol stations – which account for up to 30 per cent of sales – as well as preventing sales between 11pm and 8am, and introducing a ban on television advertising of beer.
The new restrictions were signed off by then President Dmitry Medvedev in 2011 as part of an attempt to counter alcohol abuse, which he earlier called a "national calamity". [...]

South Korea

In South Korea only two of the most popular beers are made from 100% barley malt. The rest are brewed from rice. Although South Korean beers are not commonly imported to other countries, they are popular with the nationals as imported beer is much more expensive. Microbreweries however stick to 100% barley malt or other malts without thinning out their beer with rice. I'll go with the most easy to get one here and save the craft for next time.

Hite 4.5%

You get the idea, it's South Korea's Budweiser.

The top-selling beer in South Korea. Hite lager is sweet and golden, with thin body and minimal head. It is styled upon American rice lagers such as Budweiser. It is brewed from barley malt and rice. Along with OB and Cass, Hite is often found on draft in South Korean bars and pubs. Most drinkers consider the draft versions of Hite, Oriental Brewery and Cass to be more or less interchangeable in price and taste, as most South Korean beers are brewed from rice.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 17, 2014

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Tzen posted:

I've got a growler of Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA and a backup 6 pack of lovely beer. My body is ready for Ghana/USA. U-S-A! U-S-A!

I had no idea BevMo do growlers.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Russia 1 - 1 Korea, neither going through.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Fluo posted:

Nigeria
b]Guinness Foreign Extra Stout[/b] (Brewed by Guinness Nigeria) 7.5%.
Style: Foreign Stout

Phwoar I need to get me some of this.

Sierra Nevada is the best choice for a US beer, btw. It's available almost everywhere and tasty as heck.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Australia vs Netherlands

Australia

Coopers Best Extra Stout (Brewed by Coopers Brewery Limited) 6.3%.
Can't have a World Beer Cup without Aussies having Coopers. The 3rd one will most likely be a beer like Little Creatures Pale Ale but this time around it's Coopers Best Extra Stout.

Pours out a dark, beautiful black, slight touch of brown with a tight looking 1.5 inch head, and great, lacing streaking down the glass.
Smells potent, some cocoa powder, smoke, and roasted malt. Smells even more concentrated straight from the neck of the bottle.
Tastes dark, dark, dark. Probably the best export stout I've ever had. Some espresso bitterness, a bit of baker's chocolate, some tea-like hop bitterness, and some light dark fruit flavors. A lot of roasted malt flavor, but it's not overpowering at all. Some black bready pumpernickel flavors as well. Bit of licorice.
Medium bodied, quite thick for a stout of its ABV. Just really full and lovely. Medium carbonation, supremely drinkable. Creamy, smooth, mouthfeel, almost nitro-like, but not so flattened out.

COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION
Now here’s a beer with punch. Coopers Stout is a beacon for lovers of a hearty brew. With its robust flavour comprising a blend of fruit, chocolate and hop bitter notes it’s everything a stout should be. Brewed naturally using a top fermentation method, Coopers Stout’s unique rich, dark texture comes from specially roasted black malt.

I've had better stouts but this is a good stout.

Netherlands
So I'll use a cheap and easy card for this one. The choice was between Heineken, Amstel or Grolsch. So I will put it to you. Just say which out Heineken, Amstel or Grolsch you'd rather have.

Amstel or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFCSZSqSskk

Heineken or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-51adxDx83I

Grolsch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwTVl4iaXoU

Edit: Grolsch wins.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 19, 2014

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

i guess amstel but i hate all of those beers

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Fluo posted:

Netherlands
So I'll use a cheap and easy card for this one. The choice was between Heineken, Amstel or Grolsch. So I will put it to you. Just say which out Heineken, Amstel or Grolsch you'd rather have.

Amstel or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFCSZSqSskk

Heineken or
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-51adxDx83I

Grolsch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwTVl4iaXoU

Have to go with the only non-Heineken owned beer - have a Grolsch.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
I think for all three of the Dutch beers you should take one bottle of each, turn dem sumbitches sideways, and stick em straight up your roody-poo candy-rear end.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

I think for all three of the Dutch beers you should take one bottle of each, turn dem sumbitches sideways, and stick em straight up your roody-poo candy-rear end.
Hmm. :(

Fluo posted:

During the group stages each country will have 1 beer which is mass produced and easy to get for most people around the world (Tecate isn't easy to get over here), 1 will be something special like a craft brew and the 3rd is a wild card. And it won't be in any order. :)

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Akbar posted:

I had no idea BevMo do growlers.
They've got an amazing rotation of kegs at my local one. They'll also do requests and it's awesome as hell.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Hereford FIFA Fan Fest has an exclusivity agreement with Bavaria. We are serving only Hollandia and Bavaria Premium Pils.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Fluo posted:

Is it a decent pale lager cheap and easy drink?
It's decent and very easy to drink. Beer Advocate puts it at 63 rated, which is being fair I suppose.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Tzen posted:

They've got an amazing rotation of kegs at my local one. They'll also do requests and it's awesome as hell.

Wow I am very jealous. I checked online and they only do draft beer in Washington and Arizona. That's a shame :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Tzen posted:

It's decent and very easy to drink. Beer Advocate puts it at 63 rated, which is being fair I suppose.

Cool! :) Also I tend to ignore beeradvocate and ratebeer cause anything which isn't 10% gets like minus 10points and such. :(

But I'll keep an eye out next couple of days as weird State beers end up over here once in while. Like that Texcan lone star one. I bought it for the last episode of true detective, it was okish. :negative:

Growlers never really picked up in the UK, cause it has always and always will have the stigma label of being a train spotter member of CAMRA who collects stamps. :(
But a great selection of bottle shops here, even some of the pubs have a takeaway price on their bottles. :) By the time you got the cask beer home it'd be flat. :negative:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 18, 2014

• Locked thread