Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm just pitching in to say that Leo is officially and objectively the Best Character and Miyuki is the Worst Character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Namtab posted:

I'm just pitching in to say that Leo is officially and objectively the Best Character and Miyuki is the Worst Character.

What's wrong with Miyuki? She talks too much about her brother and is too dependent on him but otherwise she's not so bad. Outside of Tatsuya I'd say Miyumi and Erika are, for the "You are a dick, if only all men were like that" thing.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Namtab posted:

This is a trap, the story is terrible and thus none of the characters are worth anything. If you absolutely had to rank them, you need to remember to qualify them as "Best of a shitheap" and "Shittiest of the shitheap" instead of characters.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

WickedHate posted:

I'm actually despairing over this show being so liked and accepted in Japan right now(going by more polls). Is it too much to hope for that possibly most viewers haven't read the LN and don't know how amoral Tatsuya is?

I find it hard to believe that one excerpt of your LORD AND SAVIOUR TATSUYA-NII-SAMA being a not-nice person is the straw the broke the camel's back. It's not like this was a good show before being tarnished by a few moments of amorality, it's garbage through and through and this is just one more thing.

WickedHate posted:

What's wrong with Miyuki? She talks too much about her brother and is too dependent on him but otherwise she's not so bad. Outside of Tatsuya I'd say Miyumi and Erika are, for the "You are a dick, if only all men were like that" thing.

You know those character's who only exist in a show as someone's parents or something? Like they're one-dimensional, minor, often don't even have names, whatever, and they only exist because they have some form of relationship with a main character? Miyuki is that. She's what happens when you take a character with only one dimension, who only exists as "part" of another character, and make her a main character. Now make creepy incestuous love for her brother her one and only defining characteristic.

She's barely a character in the first place and what is there is abhorrent. Not that any of the other characters are good, but when you've got one dimensional characters and you make their one dimension into incest fetish material you get something even worse.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

WickedHate posted:

What's wrong with Miyuki?

- Completely amoral in matters concerning her brother. Unlike Tatsuya she has actual human emotions though which makes it worse.
- Stupidly overpowered in an entirely different way than tatsuya
- Is in love with her brother
- Everytime she shows up the book spends a paragraph talking about how beautiful she is in comparison to everyone else and how all the boys and girls stare at her. Every time.

Tatsuya is bad, but Miyuki is insidious

quote:

She talks too much about her brother and is too dependent on him but otherwise she's not so bad.
Do you have like no concept of subtext so you like hear her say "I am not in love with my brother" and are like "yeah that seems legit".

jwang posted:

This is a trap, the story is terrible and thus none of the characters are worth anything. If you absolutely had to rank them, you need to remember to qualify them as "Best of a shitheap" and "Shittiest of the shitheap" instead of characters.

With a better writer Leo would be a decent protagonist. He's the only one here who is genuinely a decent person.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Namtab posted:

- Completely amoral in matters concerning her brother. Unlike Tatsuya she has actual human emotions though which makes it worse.
- Everytime she shows up the book spends a paragraph talking about how beautiful she is in comparison to everyone else and how all the boys and girls stare at her. Every time.
Well, I haven't been reading the books.

Namtab posted:

Do you have like no concept of subtext so you like hear her say "I am not in love with my brother" and are like "yeah that seems legit".

No, I get it's a denial/lying thing(which is kinda funny in how obvious it is).

Desuwa posted:

I find it hard to believe that one excerpt of your LORD AND SAVIOUR TATSUYA-NII-SAMA being a not-nice person is the straw the broke the camel's back. It's not like this was a good show before being tarnished by a few moments of amorality, it's garbage through and through and this is just one more thing.

Like I said, I have a thing about heroes and justice. Amoral protagonists are fine, I like Breaking Bad and 8-Bit Theater is one of my favorite things ever, but for heroes who are treated as right and good people, it immediately falls apart for me if they wouldn't care about random people dying.

Desuwa posted:

You know those character's who only exist in a show as someone's parents or something? Like they're one-dimensional, minor, often don't even have names, whatever, and they only exist because they have some form of relationship with a main character? Miyuki is that.
That's a good point. A main character needs to be fleshed out more.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

jwang posted:

Heck, if you rank the characters you're basically ranking cardboard cutouts. They're anime archetypes, not actual characters.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

WickedHate posted:

Well, I haven't been reading the books.

Your loss :smuggo:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

WickedHate posted:

Like I said, I have a thing about heroes and justice. Amoral protagonists are fine, I like Breaking Bad and 8-Bit Theater is one of my favorite things ever, but for heroes who are treated as right and good people, it immediately falls apart for me if they wouldn't care about random people dying.

Reading this is kind of bizarre. It's like seeing the feelings/beliefs of a child or very right-wing adult written in the words of someone who is neither a child nor extremely right-wing. Not sure how else to describe it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

Reading this is kind of bizarre. It's like seeing the feelings/beliefs of a child or very right-wing adult written in the words of someone who is neither a child nor extremely right-wing. Not sure how else to describe it.

How so, exactly? It seems normal to me.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I like it when the goodies are good and the baddies are bad please dont give me a goodie who is bad i cannot handle the disconnect.

E: What the h*ck is an "anti-hero"

Namtab fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 16, 2014

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

CVE posted:

Where does the conception come from that Tatsuya killed hundreds of thousand innocent chinese? All the ones he killed tend to be terrorists or participants outright acts of war even (spoiler for a later occassion) when he drops his nuke magic on a harbor city and utterly annihilates it including the fleet and china's own nuke mage with it, it 's still called a solemly military structure and there were no civillians)

Now it's horrible writing to show all chinese as evil/responsible for everything bad happening in the entire series so far (especially the cartoonish kind it is here) and not all military personal deserves the death they get but it's usually written as a reaction on an hostile act against Japan so it's "justified" defense I guess. Well the spoilered one is kind of preemtive and thus can be much more scrutinized because of it.

It's not like I try to defend the writing since I know fully well how bad it is but some criticism seems to be blown way out of proportion while there is plenty else to be picked upon.

Tell me more about this Chinese nuke mage. Were they as powerful as Tatsuya? Did the author admitt that yes, one lone Chinese person was perfectly capable of killing thousands of Glorious Japanese Warriors?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Namtab posted:

I like it when the goodies are good and the baddies are bad please dont give me a goodie who is bad i cannot handle the disconnect.

But as has been stated, Tatsuya's traits are not presented as bad. I really like Hellsing, for example, or Hiei from YuYu Hakusho. That Tatsuya is presented as a paragon idol to be admired is what makes it bothersome.

JimmyT64
Oct 27, 2007
I'm Special!

The_White_Crane posted:

"Galloping gigawatts, Matter Disintegration Lad just reduced the entire battlebot army to their constituent atoms!"
"That's nothing! Remember, I can instantaneously reconstruct things exactly as they were!" [See issue #48 - ED]
"But what good will that do? We don't want the battlebots back again!"
"Ah, but if I stop part-way through, like... this!" *KAPOW*
"Trumpeting teravolts! You reconstructed them without weapons or programming!?"
"That's right! Just think, an entire army of robot servants that could be programmed to help the elderly or infirm, or to do jobs too dangerous for humans!"
"You're so brilliant, Matter Disintegration Lad!"
"I know!" :smuggo:

I'm a bit late, but I just want to say this is beautiful, and you are beautiful.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It occurs to me now that for unregistered viewers this thread title is incredibly creepy.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Mods please change the thread's title to WickedHate is dumb void of any context tyia

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Monocled Falcon posted:

Tell me more about this Chinese nuke mage. Were they as powerful as Tatsuya? Did the author admitt that yes, one lone Chinese person was perfectly capable of killing thousands of Glorious Japanese Warriors?

Nope not a single word. It's basically just used as a justification as in they were going to deploy him to bring harm to glorious Nippon, so our preemtive attack on random harbor city is totally justified. They are implied to cause harm on the level of a nuke but as for china dude nothing is ever mentioned as to what his kind of magic was. Most of the strategic class mages also have severe disadvantages due to their powerful magic like being basically a cripple for the known Japanese one except for Tatsuya who also seemingly is more apt at causing global carnage wihtout any form of drawback.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
They have to maintain the duality of china being a cunning advanced threat while still being easily beatable weaklings. That sort of thing is hardly unique to this setting, and it is likely common in right-wing japanese rhetoric. It is kind of like nazi propaganda, where jews were portrayed as both wealthy manipulators and impoverished filthy subhumans, sometimes in consecutive sentences. This was frequently accompanied by the idea that jews were easily recognizable as racist caricatures but those who looked 'normal' were somehow in disguise. I know, I know, :godwin:, but propaganda interests me and nazi propaganda provides the best examples.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

WickedHate posted:

You are a literal child.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Phobophilia posted:

You are a literal child.

I'm okay with anti-heroes, but Tatsuya is not portrayed as one.

Serious Frolicking posted:

They have to maintain the duality of china being a cunning advanced threat while still being easily beatable weaklings. That sort of thing is hardly unique to this setting, and it is likely common in right-wing japanese rhetoric. It is kind of like nazi propaganda, where jews were portrayed as both wealthy manipulators and impoverished filthy subhumans, sometimes in consecutive sentences. This was frequently accompanied by the idea that jews were easily recognizable as racist caricatures but those who looked 'normal' were somehow in disguise. I know, I know, :godwin:, but propaganda interests me and nazi propaganda provides the best examples.

So since some of the audience is siding with the terrorists, this is sort of like an anime Leise und Miese?

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
So Tatsuya is not alone the most powerful strategic class mage, he's also the only one not majorly flawed on some level?

Heh, Tatusya not ruling the entire world already is the only thing necessary to refute the author's beliefs. Here you have a character who can destroy all of society at will and it treats him like crap.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

WickedHate posted:

I'm okay with anti-heroes, but Tatsuya is not portrayed as one.

So since some of the audience is siding with the terrorists, this is sort of like an anime Leise und Miese?

It isn't like the terrorists are especially sympathetic, but seeing a bunch of people effortlessly brutalized which was later described as heroic doesn't really make you feel for the 'good guys'. A better comparison is if, once the chinese mastermind is finally shown, he immediately garnered a huge fan base far larger than Woody and Crazy Lady combined. That such an event would also be incredibly funny wouldn't hurt, either.

Edit: There have only been three nuke-mages shown thus far. Tatsuya, who can do no wrong and is the most perfect human ever to live, another japanese woman, who is very sickly, and an american who is probably in third place behind the shitbag siblings. The american isn't particularly frail and can even use her nuke on a smaller scale with special equipment, but she isn't Tatsuya. Oh, and she is half japanese.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 17, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Oh, and she is half japanese.

That's the case for a lot of anime/manga characters who are meant to be foreign but not exotic. If a character is American they have blonde hair and names like "Armstrong", or they are Japanese/half-Japanese.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

WickedHate posted:

But as has been stated, Tatsuya's traits are not presented as bad. I really like Hellsing, for example, or Hiei from YuYu Hakusho. That Tatsuya is presented as a paragon idol to be admired is what makes it bothersome.

This is like the one sensible thing WickedHate has said in this thread.

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
The saddest thing about this series is that they made magic olypics look boring and meaningless. Magic olympics! It should be amazing and cool to look at and yet it's just tedious nonsense with half the animation time spent focusing on female characters' crotches and legs.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
What is with this guy's fixation on transparent cube sports, anyway?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's the Future. Transparent cubes look very futurey.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sindai posted:

It's the Future. Transparent cubes look very futurey.

But for the world's girliest jai alai game, there were a bunch of dudes inside the cube which was outdoors. How on earth would they prevent it from fogging up completely?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

How on earth would they prevent it from fogging up completely?

Magic.

Weaboostomper58
May 22, 2014

Did somebody just say "Weaboo?" 'Cause I think I just heard someone say "Weaboo."
So my understanding of this thing is that the sister wants to gently caress the brother and they're still in school and likely underage and it made 27 pages without a gas?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Weaboostomper58 posted:

So my understanding of this thing is that the sister wants to gently caress the brother and they're still in school and likely underage and it made 27 pages without a gas?

It made 27 pages due to WickedHate's wickedlove of the series until about page 25-26 where the LN spoilers made him realise just how horrible and badly-written the source material really is.
For the most part, MC was lobotomised to have only one emotion; platonic love for his sister. He is also a ninja, a world-reknowned inventor and part of a spec ops group, all at the tender age of 17. Yep, he's 17 years of age and is the smartest, strongest and most talented person in the entire setting.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It's like standing at the place where two trains, one full of cinnamon-coated gingerbread war veterans and the other full of orphans made of Maltesers, collided into each other. Sure, it's horrible, but by God you can't help but gobble that horrible poo poo up.

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011

Weaboostomper58 posted:

Because there is never any chance whatsoever that there will be sex or anything even approaching it because the author is some sort of weird Japanese nationalist prude who is also probably a misogynist and has a female character spout such weird phrases like:

"I believe in a patriarchal ideology, so I believe that men are supposed to work harder than women. Thus, men must learn to discipline themselves and take responsibility for their own actions."

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SorcerousHam posted:

Because there is never any chance whatsoever that there will be sex or anything even approaching it because the author is some sort of weird Japanese nationalist prude who is also probably a misogynist and has a female character spout such weird phrases like:

"I believe in a patriarchal ideology, so I believe that men are supposed to work harder than women. Thus, men must learn to discipline themselves and take responsibility for their own actions."

He's also probably closeted but deeply in denial.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

SorcerousHam posted:

FYI guys I can confirm that this is a direct novel quote.

So I just got to book 7 and things get really dumb really fast. The whole book is godawfully stupid so far because China stops loving around and just straight up invades Japan.

So Tatsuya and Miyuki get held up by a chinese dude with a gun and this happens.

quote:

The siblings who were just standing in the path were particularly conspicuous.
"Hey, you two as well."
One of the invaders pointed his gun their way and walked cautiously forward.
The words were undoubtedly aimed at Tatsuya. Strictly speaking, there was no room for misinterpretation.
(So that's it......)
There were a total of six. Three for primary assault and three in support. Tatsuya didn't point his CAD at the invaders who could possibly be terrorists or mobile forces. After all, he couldn't use "Mist Dispersal" in front of so many people, but the situation might not allow him otherwise.
(Need to try and use other magic to cover this.)
Just as Tatsuya ruminated on this with a blank expression on his face, the invader repeated his angry howl.
"Faster!"
The angry howl was more frantic, but Tatsuya didn't move a whisker. The sort of thinking that abandoned all resistance to preserve personal safety didn't jibe with his education and training.
Tatsuya wordlessly watched the approaching man.
No, his gaze would be more appropriately described as "observed".
There was no trace of fear or unease in his eyes.
He was only observing the man's entire body, the weapon in his hand, and the flashing muzzle.
Probably growing more and more anxious by the cold eyes watching him or subconsciously feeling the tendrils of a nameless dread, the man approaching Tatsuya increased the pressure on the trigger finger.
"Hey, wait!"
He likely failed to discern his comrade's voice.
A volley of gunfire sounded amid the cries.
The bullets filled with discernible killing intent were fired from within 3 meters, causing people to envision an unavoidable tragedy, which only deepened the shock people felt.
A right hand held something before his chest.
That was the sole change in Tatsuya's posture.
Not a single drop of blood flowed down his body.
The bullets that were fired left no traces on the walls, ceiling, or roof.
Spasms broke out over the man's face, as he fired a second, third time.
Each time, Tatsuya's right hand flashed towards another position.
The hand motion was so fast that no bystander could see what he was doing.
By the time anyone could react, they could only see the change in the hand's position as it remained holding something.
"He...... couldn't be catching the bullets, could he?"
Someone woodenly murmured.
"How, is he doing this......?"
Another nameless individual replied blankly.
"Monster!"

The man threw aside his gun because he was stricken by panic.
Setting aside using magic to block bullets, seeing the outrageous sight of someone catching the bullets would naturally create the misconception that guns had lost their use.
However, his fighting spirit was not broken as he pulled out a combat blade and swung it towards Tatsuya. Plainly, the man was a highly trained soldier.
But, the next act shocked everyone even further.
Tatsuya didn't look like he had any time to avoid the incoming attack, so he opened his hand to form a karate chop and slashed towards the man's wrist that was holding the blade.

Tatsuya's karate chop sheared through the man's wrist with no resistance whatsoever.

"Ah!"
A scream started to issue from the man's mouth — but that was all he could manage
Before the sound could fully turn into a scream, Tatsuya's left fist impacted the man's chest.

The blood spewing from the shredded right wrist stained Tatsuya's clothes.
That was all the resistance (?) the man could muster.
Without sparing a glance at the fallen man, Tatsuya leaped backwards and returned to Miyuki's side to protect her.
This unexpected, even unimaginable turnout caused the audience and the invaders to freeze in their tracks.
Not only was all physical activity suspended, even their minds ground to a halt.
Except for one person.
"Onii-sama, I need to clean up the blood stains, please wait a second."
Miyuki's soft words traveled to every corner of the previously silent conference hall.
Her voice did not waver in the slightest.
As if saying that she would "dust off the lint", there was no trace of unease or incompatibility.
That voice also served as a signal for the halted time to move forward.
"On them!"
Security personnel from both sides of the stage unleashed their magic. Although the invaders sought evasive action, but under the well-trained magic attacks from the students selected for the Nine Schools Competition, they were taken out without exception.

Miyuki activated her magic and cleansed the blood stains on Tatsuya's hand and clothes. (Accurately speaking, the moisture was evaporated from the clothes and skin before dispelling the solids.)
Although this was a matter of life and death, Tatsuya never batted an eyelid.
No, "not batting an eyelid" would be incorrect. While it was true that there was no trace of wavering or excitement on his face, he did furrow his brows when he looked at the man collapsed in the pool of his own blood.
Seeing that minute change in expression, Miyuki immediately activated another magic.
The eviscerated right hand and wrist were frozen and the blood pool on the ground dehydrated to a dark red dust.
Tatsuya turned around to find Miyuki smiling gently at him.
Subconsciously, Tatsuya could only smile at his hyper competent little sister.
Seeing her brother smile, Miyuki's eyes glazed over for some reason (from Tatsuya's perspective).
However, this wasn't the time to contemplate something like that as Tatsuya walked towards the entrance.
Immediately, Miyuki was right on his heels.
The siblings completely ignored the man with the severed wrist as they stepped over him.
(He's not catching bullets he's using his magic to disintegrate them with his right hand).

They realise there's like hundreds of chinese dudes loving poo poo up everywhere, so Tatsuya winds up revealing his disintegration powers and heads out to murder the chinese. But he can't do it while holding back.

quote:

"Onii-sama, please hold."
However, his sister Miyuki called out to him, a myriad of emotions warring across her face.
Reading the inquisitive look from Tatsuya, Kazama nodded and left first.
Miyuki stood before Tatsuya and stretched her hands out towards his face.
Her aim was not to detain him.
Miyuki knew about his standing and duties just as well as Tatsuya himself.
What Miyuki feared most was to get in Tatsuya's way.
Currently, there was an objective that Miyuki sought to accomplish.
She did not possess the authority to do so.
Yet Miyuki opted to bear the full responsibility on her own discretion. She already made up her mind to remove her brother's shackles.
Tatsuya read that determination from his sister's eyes.
Greeting his sister's upraised gaze, Tatsuya's expression was bewildered, understanding and grateful as he nodded before falling to one knee before Miyuki. —Just as a knight bows before his princess.
Miyuki held that face in both hands and lifted her brother's face, whose eyes were closed, towards herself.

Miyuki bent at the waist.

And bestowed upon her brother's forehead,

A deep kiss.

After his sister's lips departed, the hands pressed against his face fell away and Tatsuya bowed his head once more.

Transformation descended immediately.

A violent array of photons, enough to sear the eyes, burst from Tatsuya's body.
These were no photons, but psions wrapped in physical light.
Tatsuya opened his eyes and rose to his feet.
Staggeringly active psions coursed around him.
The conqueror has come, armored by the storms and commanding lightning.
Although that violent array of light retracted, the voluminous psions still swirled calmly around him.
Anyone would have lurched one or two steps away from Tatsuya, but Miyuki only smiled benignly, lifted her dress and dropped into a deep curtsey.
"May you conquer all before you."
"I'm off."

With his sister's emotional eyes watching him, Tatsuya stepped onto the Yokohama streets that had been transformed into a battlefield and went off to war.
Yes, it's time for Tatsuya's real power.

I can see why people read this, there's a curious sense of wanting to stare into the abyss to see how poo poo this can really get.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
See, now, "May you conquer all before you" sounds nationalist as gently caress.

Namtab posted:

The whole book is godawfully stupid so far because China stops loving around and just straight up invades Japan.

Japanese Homefront.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Remember kids, war crimes are fun!

If the whole book was self-aware at how much of a villain Tatsuya is, with people actually reacting to his poo poo, I would probably enjoy the material.

Miyuki is awful and I wish she was removed from the story.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

How does one deeply kiss someone's forehead???

Actually, please don't answer that.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Pootybutt posted:

Actually, please don't answer that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8AzlF4murw&t=126s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Pootybutt posted:

Okay, you know those facehuggers from Alien? It's sorta like that.

Alternatively, it might be just a quick peck because in this author's world, holding hands is the equivalent of hardcore BDSM. Satou would probably love the society in Analogue.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 18, 2014

• Locked thread