Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Speaking of work, I'm actually looking for some. If you guys and girls know any contacts for work that might be suitable for someone with a Masters in Teaching, throw me a PM. I'm going through Seek and the other channels, too, but it doesn't hurt to get more hooks out there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

What state and where? From what Fruity was saying all that childen in care has prospects.

We've already had teaching in Australia is poo poo and on fire yo.

http://www.edb.gov.hk/en/curriculum-development/resource-support/net/index.html
http://www.teachaway.com/teaching-in-singapore

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...
Poll time, huge jump for June 7-8 2PP...seems like it was accounted for and An Idiot Abroad may have actually helped the LNP

#Morgan Poll (14-15 June) 2 Party Preferred: L/NP 44.5 (+5) ALP 55.5 (-5) #auspol

#Morgan Poll (14-15 June) Primary Votes: L/NP 36.5 (+3.5) ALP 38 (-4) GRN 12 (0) PUP 5.5 (+1) #auspol

#Morgan Poll (7-8 June) 2 Party Preferred: L/NP 39.5 (-4) ALP 60.5 (+4) #auspol

#Morgan Poll (7-8 June) Primary Votes: L/NP 33 (-2) ALP 42 (+4) GRN 12 (+1) PUP 4.5 (-3) #auspol

Ler fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jun 16, 2014

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Haha, I'm looking for part-time work in Adelaide to tide me over for the next 6 months or so.

I wonder what the stats in this thread are for employment vs. unemployment

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

BCR posted:

Anidav, find another company.

Bevchain at Hendra, need picker/packers and pay award and you've already got the right union for the job. They have early morning and afternoon shifts.

And hit up these mobs for admin work in the cbd.
http://www.laboursolutions.com.au/
http://www.kellyservices.com.au/au/auHome/
http://www.actionworkforce.com.au/
http://www.administration.com.au/Jobseeker/Jobs/Data-Entry/

I might have to apply since I'm off uni for a semester. This place is a 20 min walk from my house and there is a confectionery warehouse on the way.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
BCR would any of those be suitable for a month or so of working until uni starts again?

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Sparticle posted:

I might have to apply since I'm off uni for a semester. This place is a 20 min walk from my house and there is a confectionery warehouse on the way.

The only thing you'll need is a hi vis vest, steel toe cap boots. Pays about $21hr casual.

And of course you want to be a union member http://www.nuw.org.au/

Beyond that you're literally loading and unloading shipping containers.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

BCR would any of those be suitable for a month or so of working until uni starts again?

Temping agencies? I wouldn't tell them your plans. Go along, get the data admin job or whatever and give a weeks notice before you quit. Since you're a casual its legal, and you're giving notice rather than just dropping them in it. Theres not much they can do about it. Know what your award is, and double check everything with the ACTU

http://www.actu.org.au/HelpDesk/default.aspx

Bevchain would take you for that long. They always need people to unload / load containers and they'e not going to cry or care if you're only there for 6 weeks. Again don't tell them and give a weeks notice then carry on with your life. Since your students you're going to have a year gap at least before you work again and its not going to matter a big deal beyond being able to say i worked in the summer.

Action workforce have a lot of the logistics work and they're not that fussed about how long you stay.

Queensland

Underwood
Email adminqld@actionworkforce.com.au
Phone (07) 3489 0100
Fax (07) 3209 4444
Mail PO Box 344,
Underwood QLD 4119
Office 1/1 Parramatta Road,
Underwood QLD 4119

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
So caucus are going to be debating whether to drop support for offshore processing tomorrow. Can Labor find a soul?

of course they can't you idiots

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

IronicBeetCriminal posted:

Yeah he did, but he bailed from auspol earlier than that after people dumped pictures of harlequin babies after he told us that he and his wife were expecting.

Wasn't this because he refused to accept abortion being legal under any circumstances, including horrible fatal birth defects?

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

quote:

I've lost my heart to Greg Hunt

You know him, he's the Liberals' runt

I mean that in the nicest way

He's the little one (no, not him; he's gay)

Hang on, I thought the press gallery had a don't ask / don't tell approach to Pyne?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

GoldStandardConure posted:

Wasn't this because he refused to accept abortion being legal under any circumstances, including horrible fatal birth defects?

Yep. Then he got all upset at people posting examples of the kind of detectable conditions that mothers should be forced to carry babies to term with.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Things to watch for in the next financial year from the government as it prepares for the next Budget:

IR legislation changes (Minimum wage stops people getting jorbs!)
Selling off the HECS/HELP debt, privitising the system and any legislative changes that would be needed to pave the way for such
Extending the six month waiting period for Newstart to over 30 year olds (you're old enough to have saved money, blah blah blah)
Special economic zones for the far north regions of Australia (Gotta get Gina her slave labour force)

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

quote:

"Since you choose to poo poo all over something I considered to be well worth watching, I can't be bothered posting it. You evidently are an orc. I will also block you. I have noticed previously that you frequently write unpleasant things which I despised. You cease to exist for me, and a number of people who probably would have liked my post and got a lot out of seeing the film, won't see it. Congrats, hope you're pleased. "

I have a way of making friends on facebook. This was from some kiwi lady after I offered to wrap her head in tinfoil to keep out the jew-beams after she posted an alex jones video.

Oh well. She was pretty too.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Speaking of industrial relations, today at work when I asked why I was getting paid >$2 per hour less than a guy with less experience and qualifications as me for the exact same job I was told it was unreasonable for me to expect equal pay for equal work. Oh and that my lower pay rate had nothing to do with my gender and it's all just a massive coincidence the guys get paid more for the same job.

Sounds like I need to find a new job! gently caress I hate IT.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

duck monster posted:

I have a way of making friends on facebook. This was from some kiwi lady after I offered to wrap her head in tinfoil to keep out the jew-beams after she posted an alex jones video.

Oh well. She was pretty too.

There's hope, I used to be a fundamentalist christian (like Creation Seventh Day Adventist) and thought Alex Jones was speaking truth, I'm better now but.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I was sent a fun video, its kind of a before and after thing, apparently the work of Anonymous.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

froglet posted:

Speaking of industrial relations, today at work when I asked why I was getting paid >$2 per hour less than a guy with less experience and qualifications as me for the exact same job I was told it was unreasonable for me to expect equal pay for equal work. Oh and that my lower pay rate had nothing to do with my gender and it's all just a massive coincidence the guys get paid more for the same job.

Have you joined a union?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

quote:

SIEV 221 tragedy: Asylum seekers' families to sue Government over 2010 Christmas Island accident

Families of asylum seekers killed and injured when their boat, known as SIEV 221, sank off Christmas Island are suing the Government.

Fifty Iranian and Iraqi asylum seekers died when huge seas drove their boat into Christmas Island's cliffs in December 2010.

Lawyer George Newhouse will today launch legal action in the New South Wales Supreme Court on behalf of eight families, arguing Australia was responsible and the Commonwealth breached its duty of care.

Mr Newhouse represented survivors at the 2012 inquest, saying at the time that government policies were putting lives at risk.

Mr Newhouse will argue the Commonwealth knew or should have known that there were vulnerable men and women on the high seas that night.

Aboard the boat known as SIEV 221 (Suspected Irregular Entry Vessel 221) on December 15, 2010, were 89 Iranian and Iraqi asylum seekers and three crew. In the monsoon weather, the vessel escaped detection and it was residents on the island watching the tragedy unfold who raised the alarm.

While some people on the boat were rescued, 50 people died. Mr Newhouse says the dangerous rescue mission could have been avoided if intelligence was acted upon sooner.

"What we're saying is those brave people would not have had to put their lives at risk had the government had an operating rescue system on the island," he said.

"They didn't have proper systems in place or operating lifesaving vessels to actually rescue them."

Government says border protection has 'full confidence'

Immigration Minister Scott Morrison says Australia's border-protection services have his full confidence.

He strongly defended customs and border protection officials and Navy personnel involved in responding to the incident.

"[They] have our absolute respect and our absolute confidence, and they have been rightly praised for their heroism and their bravery," he said.

After the initial eight-month hearing into the disaster, coroner Alastair Hope laid the blame firmly on the people smugglers.

But he criticised Commonwealth authorities for the lack of adequate rescue vessels on the island. He also urged that measures be taken to increase surveillance of waters around Christmas Island for incoming asylum seeker vessels.

A convicted people smuggler who organised asylum seeker boats, including the SIEV 221, is currently serving 14 years in jail after pleading guilty to organising four boats to travel from Indonesia in 2010 and 2011.

Mr Morrison told parliament last night that he had only just been alerted of the planned legal action.

He said Australia was a free country and people had the right to bring legal action when they see fit.

Mr Newhouse, a Labor candidate at the 2007 election and head of the social justice practice at Shine Lawyers, has conducted a succession of asylum seeker cases.

He is participating in the current constitutional challenge to the legality of Australia's asylum seeker processing centre on Nauru in the Nauru Supreme Court.

I wonder what else Scott has to say about this?

quote:

Latika Bourke ‏@latikambourke 11m
Immigration Minister Scott Morrison 'I think this is a shameful and offensive claim to be making' re suing over sunken asylum boat. @abcnews

Latika Bourke ‏@latikambourke 10m
Immigration Minister Scott Morrison says for asylum seeker families to be suing over their sunken boat is like suing a firefighter/ambos.

Latika Bourke ‏@latikambourke 10m
Rebels Bikie gang leader has had his visa cancelled while he was overseas, under character provisions of Migration Act, says Morrison.

Latika Bourke ‏@latikambourke 9m
Immigration minister Scott Morrison says Labor is once again questioning offshore processing for asylum seekers - their heart not in it.

Latika Bourke ‏@latikambourke 8m
Immigration Minister Scott Morrison 'shocked and stunned' most Australians would be 'appalled' with asylum seeker lawsuit over sunken boat.

:smithicide:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's a tragedy and all that but I do wonder if they have a case for that particular incident. Is there any evidence the government ignored the boat until it was too late or did anything else that would constitute a breach of their duty of care?

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

BCR posted:

Anidav, find another company.

Bevchain at Hendra, need picker/packers and pay award and you've already got the right union for the job. They have early morning and afternoon shifts.

And hit up these mobs for admin work in the cbd.
http://www.laboursolutions.com.au/
http://www.kellyservices.com.au/au/auHome/
http://www.actionworkforce.com.au/
http://www.administration.com.au/Jobseeker/Jobs/Data-Entry/

Can confirm, Kelly Services are quite good, that's how I landed my current job. Andiav I might be able to put you in contact with someone if they are still there. Message me if you're interested.

Edit: Avoid Chandler-MacLeod.

Ol Sweepy fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 17, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Is Scott Morrison saying the Australian Government has no control through its policies over whether or not people choose to make the journey to Australia to flee persecution?

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Kelly's have people who specialize in temp work placements. You might be able to pick up lots of odd admin shifts throughout a month, be on call and take everything they give you. I was living on that for 3 months.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQyLVJeFpTA

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

open24hours posted:

It's a tragedy and all that but I do wonder if they have a case for that particular incident. Is there any evidence the government ignored the boat until it was too late or did anything else that would constitute a breach of their duty of care?
IANAL

The case is based on a number of specific issues.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/government-being-sued-over-asylum-boat-crash/5528434

The audio can flesh this out some more.

Firstly:

They will contend that even if the Australian SARS team had no knowledge of the boat, they should have.

This is probably the weak part of the case and without establishing this the rest goes out the window. The 'should have known' is however a very broad criteria and would need to be stomped on pretty hard by the other party. There's probably a decent amount of mileage in alleging that some other arm of government knew but failed to pass it on. The establishment of a duty of care is partly predicated on the confiscation and assertion of mastery over vessels entering our twelve mile zone. It technically makes those vessels our vessels and then places their seaworthiness in our hands. The chain of reason goes that if we are going to immediately assert a right to navigate and dispose of the vessels upon sighting them then we are de facto owners by our own actions.

Secondly:

They will contend that the SAR capabilities at Christmas Island at the time were substandard.

They have a very strong case here. If they can establish the first contention they can use the dismal condition of the SAR assets at Christmas Island at the time to make a claim of breach of duty of care.

Although it seems, at first gloss to belittle the actions of the people on the ground on the day, I think it highlights the key and central issue of the whole asylum seeker issue. That issue is the dehumanising of the asylum seekers. The case is highlighting that, although it was a known and current circumstance, little was done to improve the detection capabilities at Christmas Island and despite it being well known that navigation in the area around the island is treacherous in all weathers nothing was done to ensure an adequate response was available. It is hard not to conclude that the deaths of these people was an expected, or even welcome, outcome.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

froglet posted:

1) If you're a permanent, take a copy of your contract and pay slips, grab a male coworkers contract and payslip (hopefully some are normal and friendly) and approach fairwork Australia. Document who you saw at what time to discuss your pay, and get it witnessed by a Jp. Then let fairwork australia investigate.

2) if you're a casual, contract anything else, ring up the actu helpline and find out what union is best for you. Join the union, and wait for full services to kick in. Present your documentation to the union. Union lawyers will fight against this sexual discrimination for you and you're protected in the work place.

You are going to need a male coworkers documents to make it all go quicker.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

July's going to be ridiculous.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Captain Pissweak posted:

July's going to be ridiculous.

Have to keep pinching myself. Is the lynch-pin of every debated piece of legislation really going to be held by Glen Lazarus, Jaqui Lambie and Ricky Muir?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

KennyTheFish posted:

Have you joined a union?

I am a member of a professionals group, I don't think what I do really matches up to any of the main unions.

My meeting with the manager of my department yesterday indicated that yes, they know of the discrepancy but they assure me it has nothing to do with my gender and is a mixture of my male coworker being hired on some form of new contract and my department and another department being merged.

I will be contacting HR today to see what they have to say, although I believe my manager has already called them to poison the well.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Zenithe posted:

Have to keep pinching myself. Is the lynch-pin of every debated piece of legislation really going to be held by Glen Lazarus, Jaqui Lambie and Ricky Muir?

I've been looking over this stuff a lot recently for the thread and the answer is "kind of".

I'm working on the assumption that Labor, Greens and hopefully Xenophon will block things together putting them at thirty six and the Coalition, Jesus, and John Galt will work together putting them at thirty five. Madigan will probably side with Coalition for social issues, while siding with the opposition for economic ones.

In Palmer's camp, you've got a guaranteed always going to be there minimum two senators in Wang and Lazarus because they have nothing to gain from going rogue. Muir will depend on whether AMEP try to unburn the bridge, and Lambie is just totally insane and will probably do whatever she wants once Palmer tells her to vote for something she doesn't want to. Of the two, Lambie is the one I expect to go rogue the most. What's important to note though is that if Palmer loses both of them he no longer inherently holds a balance of power, since at the point where he has four senators, Xenophon and Madigan become irrelevant since he can push it to thirty nine. Lose Lambie and he needs one of those two to go with the option he actually wants. Lose Muir too and the balance of power is essentially shifted to the four lone senators.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Anidav posted:

Should I go to the interview to simply ask the aware or base wage?

Don't bother, it's just a variant of an MLM scam

From their website:

quote:

Trew Marketing's ultimate goal is to provide our people the opportunity for complete financial freedom and financial independence to enable them to enjoy the best quality of life possible. This is delivered through a committed and ongoing training and support network which enables successful applicants to develop essential skills, self confidence and the ability to train others at their own pace.

That's all classic MLM-speak. "financial independence" means you're not really employed with them and that they won't actually pay you. "support network" and "train others" means you're expected to bring in other suckers to the scam.

If you do go along, they're won't really interview you, they offer everyone who appears young and easy to manipulate a position as an "independent contractor" which coincidentally means that you aren't technically employed by them and don't get paid a minimum wage. It's even better if they tell you that you can "start your own franchise" which is the same as above except it also means that you need to pay them for the pleasure of working there. They'll give you a bunch of bullshit about how great it is to "be your own boss" and how exciting it is to deal with all these glamourous sports teams (there'll even be a bunch of photos of the boss with broncos players scattered around the office to try to impress you) and if they get the slightest hint that you're not taking the bait they'll kick you out and bring in the next sucker.

e: or you could just read this which explains an even worse possibility: http://jobsearch.about.com/od/entryleveljobs/a/entrylevelscam.htm

Contra Duck fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 17, 2014

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I was offered a job like this when I was getting out of college, selling kitchenware. I was going to be basically expected to shill to my friends and family.

A. This wouldn't work if the gear was poo poo, my mother and grandmother were caterers for decades, they know good kitchenware and have all they need. B. It's an incredibly, UNBELIEVABLY sleazy way to operate.

Don't take a job like this, dude. Do not. Get a freakin' coffee shop job or something, anything else. You want a steady wage. You should DEMAND it.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Help me, Auspi-wan Ken-goon-bi, you're my only hope.

Can any of you find the Liberal Party's 2004 election platform. If you google, for example, greens party 2013 election platform you get the right thing, first result. If you do the same for the Libs in 2004, bupkis. I came up with this, which has no date on it. http://share.liberal.org.au/info/docs/federalplatform.pdf

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/22107/20041008-0000/www.liberal.org.au/defaultcc00.html?action=2004_policy

You could try that.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The site seems to be a bit broken through archive.org, but you could try digging around anyway: https://web.archive.org/web/20040901013515/http://www.liberal.org.au/

For the ultimate 90's rush, check out their 1996 homepage: https://web.archive.org/web/19961109121927/http://www.liberal.org.au/

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Thanks BCR, I'll give that a look in a week or so when exams finish.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

BCR posted:

I'd laugh but it seems that way. But c'mon Anidav, try a little better ay?

I'm doing nothing wrong, these types of buinesses are all over seek and I just shotgun resumes because why the gently caress not.

I will try your websites (I live in Kedron now, moved out of The Gap)

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Marles and Dastyari have defeated the Parkes and Burke motion to remove support for offshore processing. The vote was carried on voices so no one had to go on record with their vote :allears:

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
hello, i'm fruity gordo and i have huge hairy balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Anidav posted:

I'm doing nothing wrong, these types of buinesses are all over seek and I just shotgun resumes because why the gently caress not.

I will try your websites (I live in Kedron now, moved out of The Gap)

Yeah, if that's your method I really can't blame you.

We're all pulling for you, dude. We have to help each other out when we're down. Keep trying and good luck!

• Locked thread