Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Third World Reggin posted:

From what I read, it will be f2p.

There are non pvp zones which are towns and schools, open pvp everywhere else.

There are two types of guilds, or guild actions. I won't know until level 35. But there are bandits and mercenary groups.

The help file is really good, and there are differences between the two groups. If you are a bandit, you kidnap someone, torture them, get a confession, then can spend up to 3 confessions a day to hijack carts.

You've sold me. Gonna check it out.

EDIT: Or I would check it out if it wasn't in closed loving beta.

DOUBLE EDIT: Nevermind, got a key.

Haroshia fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 16, 2014

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Drink and I are in the camping the stairs mumble in the bottom channels. Also it looks like there may be a huge cash shop wall.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I see that world chat is already filled with vietnamese.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS

Drink and I are in the camping the stairs mumble in the bottom channels. Also it looks like there may be a huge cash shop wall.

I seem to recall a friend mentioning at some point it became impossible to level in Perfect World unless you dropped cash on some sort of weird potions or something. Is it something similar?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Going to have to say this. This thing is linear as hell for a story so far. But please take your time and read the stories.

You get drunk, fight what you think is sun wukong, then go hit on a woman who laughs at you, who was probably a dude.

EDIT: The cash shop wall seems like guilds, graffiti and everything else requires it. Not so much leveling up so far. To marry or to divorce requires a cash shop item. We have no idea if you can get these in any other way.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

Going to have to say this. This thing is linear as hell for a story so far. But please take your time and read the stories.

You get drunk, fight what you think is sun wukong, then go hit on a woman who laughs at you, who was probably a dude.

EDIT: The cash shop wall seems like guilds, graffiti and everything else requires it. Not so much leveling up so far. To marry or to divorce requires a cash shop item. We have no idea if you can get these in any other way.

That's not too bad -- atleast you don't hit a leveling wall or anything along those lines.

Are there dungeons are anything of the sort?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Nothing incredibly egregious in the store either. Basically clothing, mounts, umbrellas, some tour tickets (god knows what they do). Nothing really that expensive other than the wedding gear, the high end tour tickets and mounts.

Just got done with the boat story quest and it was anime/jianghu as all hell. I had huge grin through out it. Looks like acrobatics are used like in B&S to move around certain areas in a cool fashion. Actual movement options are sort of limited right now to double jumping but the game has keybinds for sprinting and other things so Im assuming it'll open up eventually. Also you can air recover when you get knocked up/down and it looks great.

Pretty much everything so far is very extensive tutorial all the way to level thirty, I'm surprisingly ok with this given the speed that you level so far. The game seems to have a lot of meat hidden down there with how custom styles and lost skills could work. Also how you upgrade your characters attacks and stats.

e-Mind, you dont need to use the cash shop for guild things. The item itself tells you that it can be acquired in game and the games helpful compendium tells you the process.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

randombattle posted:

I agree Swordsman seems way better than Wushu at this point. No idea if it's as good later but I'm really liking the start so far.

If the character existence goes deeper than "pick a class for the next 50 levels, now go kill mobs" and you can learn other skills along the way i would be very tempted. Just got my Beta key and downloading now.

But for all the missed opportunity, cash grabbing and scummy management our puppy with diarrhea of chinagame still has a heap of content. Think of the 40+ inners, factions, dozens of skill sets (not all usefull, i agree), the crafting, the cultural skills, the war and the assassin invites, the tournaments, Mt Hua, spy mission, meridians, etc...

So much wasted potential..

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 17, 2014

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Check the skill list and look under utility.

We get a few different jump moves from quests.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Yeah you can do wushu style air dashes and ground dashes along with a speed up mode and walk on water. Doesn't look like you can run up walls though.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Level 17 you get a secondary quest and become full wushu. Air dash and triple jump.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

https://na.alienwarearena.com/giveaways/swordsman-closed-beta-key-giveaway has beta keys in case anyone is interested and didn't get a key earlier.

e: How's the netcode look so far?

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The game seems to have a lot of meat hidden down there with how custom styles and lost skills could work. Also how you upgrade your characters attacks and stats.

This is the poo poo I care about. I initially dismissed it cause it looked like a class based game, where I'm more of a guy who's into EVE-like character progression. Elaborate on the custom styles and lost skills.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Non-terrible chinagame? Time to sword some mans.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

IGNORE ME.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

Please don't talk poo poo about my waifu.

kznlol
Feb 9, 2013
i will never hold hands with that

ever

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I've gotten to tang/tongs second style. The mana issues start happening then. Meditation and dodging takes stamina. Otherwise you can only use potions or skills to get back health, and maybe just potions for mana.

Grandma tong is in a wheel chair.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Ok, at level 30 arenas open up. Also so does betting on arenas.

I'm going to be a gambling man.

edit:

the pangs

EDIT2: I got my first pokemon

I am taking a chinese child into battle with me.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 17, 2014

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

What control scheme are you guys using? I went with the Swordsman one because it seemed AoW-like, but if the others are more helpful later on I'll get used to it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What's Swordsman? Completely seperate from Snail/Wushu?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Swordsman online is done by perfect world bejing and is separate. It is bad and good.

I am doing the right option which was action mode.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 17, 2014

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Something back on the Wushu topic. So I got Iron Headbutt (Yang Hard) and I'm using an Ice Chi (Yin Soft). When I use wine to change it's properties, I can only change one at a time. So if I change it to Yang Soft, will I get my %20 bonus damage from my inner or do I have to spend both wines to turn it into Yin Soft?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Guild info for swordsman online.

It looks like we buy our way in or we get 4 level 35+ guys with 150 relation with the leader, then challenge the 10 schools, then claim an area to be in.

deathrat
May 25, 2010

Swordsman confirmed GOTY every year

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

deathrat posted:

Swordsman confirmed GOTY every year

My god is that legal

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
War tomorrow that I don't give 2 shits about. Nick didn't tell me what he was doing and he went full retard and bid on the Huatah base for whatever loving reason (he's retarded). Juntao also proceeded to bid low so Notrabbu's base got declared on by TDH so it's yet another split war night.

Basically that.

Natalie_Luna
Jun 18, 2013

Haquer posted:

War tomorrow that I don't give 2 shits about. Nick didn't tell me what he was doing and he went full retard and bid on the Huatah base for whatever loving reason (he's retarded). Juntao also proceeded to bid low so Notrabbu's base got declared on by TDH so it's yet another split war night.

Basically that.

Tell huatah and tdh we are all playing swordman?

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

In other news, Sword mans keeps giving me server wide popups that "Soandso killed whatshisface and stole an item off his still warm corpse". So you can apparently murder and rob people.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I found a brush

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 17, 2014

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

SynthOrange posted:

What's Swordsman? Completely seperate from Snail/Wushu?

Yes. I'm 15 level in as a big burly Shaolin and its as if the two design team copied each other notes all the way trough. Both games have roughly the same stats and they do the same things. The graphics are nice if more cartoony and the characters slider allow for completely mutant toon with tiny legs and head but barrel wide chest, ape long popeye arms and hands the size of fat hams.

But sadly all i did in 15 levels where fetch quests and "go kill these 5 dudes 10 ft behind me and comeback" type of quests. The only exception being very easy instanced solo boss fight

The first time you are allowed off the tutorial rails you are presented with a green field covered in mobs and asked to farm 10 of them. The storyline is fun and the localization is much more legible than AOW but aside from the specific school(class?) part all characters seem to have the same story.

Hopefully things will improve when i unlock PVP.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Level 30 it starts to open up a bit more but it is still on rails.

At least I've enjoyed it as they find new and interesting ways to make you fight monkeys or get carried / travel some where.

PassiveSentence
Jun 2, 2013
Neutral bloc took sides with us, tokens were dropped. One of the NBlocs had a confession to make.

The people of Jianghu were having none of this :catbert:

Hole Wolf
Apr 28, 2011

SweetBro posted:

Something back on the Wushu topic. So I got Iron Headbutt (Yang Hard) and I'm using an Ice Chi (Yin Soft). When I use wine to change it's properties, I can only change one at a time. So if I change it to Yang Soft, will I get my %20 bonus damage from my inner or do I have to spend both wines to turn it into Yin Soft?

There's only three alignments, Yang/Hard, Taichi, and Yin/Soft. One wine will change it from Yang/Hard to Yin/Soft.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler
When one uses a wine though the guy gives the option of changing to Yin or Soft, so it can look like you could burn multiple wines to achieve total match. But, it is only one.

Re swords game: are NA and EU combined or not? Are there scheduled events? I got a code, in german of course, so will give the short CBT a whirl.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

funakupo posted:

When one uses a wine though the guy gives the option of changing to Yin or Soft, so it can look like you could burn multiple wines to achieve total match. But, it is only one.

Re swords game: are NA and EU combined or not? Are there scheduled events? I got a code, in german of course, so will give the short CBT a whirl.

Only one server so far (Clossed Beta)and i have yet to see any events as in AoW. I would guess that if your wiling to poopsock you can get to the endgame in a 40h week. Third world Reggin can probably give a better estimate since he is further along the theme park rail than me.

I did not see any voice option during character creation, so my big burly Shaolin that you would expect to have a voice somewhat like Cao Cao or Guan Yu from 3kindom instead sound like a teen idol during cut scene. Thankfully your a mostly silent protagonist.

randomcommoner
Sep 6, 2006
it's a-me
Do beta characters carry into the final game when it comes out like it did with wushu?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

So my child slave I got at level 25 runs around like a spastic kid. You can set him to pick up trash for you off of the ground and I have him set up to pick up crafting ingredients from a white list.

Crafting is started at 30, iirc, and you can learn every craft. Not sure how to raise it so far but you have to go to louyang or some other town to use their tools and create items.

Potions are short instant gains in combat, food is long gains out of combat (not sure if you can do it in), and meditate are free short gains out of combat that uses stamina.

Crafting profession are tailoring, smithing, jeweler, herbalism, and cooking. You can learn them all.

You can pay bound coin to raise your skill, not sure if you can do it for free or from crafting. Going to try that soon.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

I couldn't get into the Goon mumble because I am bad. Grithok we should probably play a bit more, gather more info, and start a thread. This game has potential.