Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Nothing scary in Dallas

Oh I know, I was making a really lame attempt at internet comedy.

I do need some ammunition to hit back with, though... you wouldn't believe the poo poo I get on phone calls about the Red Sox, and I hate baseball.

Doom Rooster posted:

Fake edit: If a server asks you if you want ranch while you are eating, say yes. Try it, but even if you don't actually like/want it, it is rude to refuse a people's most defining delicacy.

Oh loving gross. I hate ranch dressing; if that truly is your people's "most defining delicacy", then maybe I'll stick to Mexican. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Croatoan posted:

So I read a scientific study that if you don't think cilantro tastes like soap that means you're dumb. It was proven with science.

Actually due to a spreadsheet error it was scientifically proven that it's the other way around and if you don't love cilantro so much you could eat handfuls of it by itself, you're autistic.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

We're all autistic on the internet.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Croatoan posted:

So I read a scientific study that if you don't think cilantro tastes like soap that means you're dumb. It was proven with science.

Really? Because everyone always says I'm really smrt and I can't stand cilantro...

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

FishBulb posted:

Really? Because everyone always says I'm really smrt and I can't stand cilantro...

Yeah, same here. I'm probably the smartest person posting here. I've got three university degrees!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Cilantro doesn't taste like soap; soap tastes like cilantro. You guys should eat more soap.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Cilantro doesn't taste like soap; soap tastes like cilantro. You guys should eat more soap.

I want some cilantro soap. That would be awesome.

Sadly such a thing doesn't exist.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I want some cilantro soap. That would be awesome.

Sadly such a thing doesn't exist.

http://barsoapnatural.com/lime-coriander.html

There ya go Mexican flavored soap, or scented, or whatever.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

therattle posted:

Yeah, same here. I'm probably the smartest person posting here. I've got three university degrees!

I am an actual doctor of cleverness, and I think coriander is lovely stuff.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Scientastic posted:

I read a scientific study. You can't refute that kind of argument. Cilantro lovers are dumb.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Okay wait I totally misread that so I'm clearly dumb BUT I also hate cilantro. What does that mean?!?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

FishBulb posted:

Okay wait I totally misread that so I'm clearly dumb BUT I also hate cilantro. What does that mean?!?

You only think you're dumb. You hate cilantro so it's been proven that you're smart.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
Cilantro owns. You know what actually tastes/smells like soap though? Lemon balm.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Perhaps you missed the latest issue of Science?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
This thread just reminded me that I can totally infuse my dad's leftover vodka with a bunch of cilantro. Thanks, thread.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
i liek soap

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I just ate seared beef liver that was basically like beef liver tataki - totally raw in the middle. It was unbelievably tasty and tender. I was shocked how good it was.

It'd been frozen so I think it's safe? If it's safe I strongly recommend it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Well no poo poo. Liver is the best mostly raw. Just be careful for liver flukes: make sure you trust your supplier. Things are generally ok in North America but I wouldn't go bottom barrel.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Just had a quesarrito. No regerts

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

GrAviTy84 posted:

The Taco Bell one? I had one the other day and wasn't horrified at it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
thanks for the info on listeria, I admittedly had no idea. does sound like a tough line to walk for folks like the FDA.

still, I personally side with culture and freedom over nanny-state and overblown health concerns re: food. If people have been making cheese for thousands of years and we haven't died off as a species, we're probably gonna be fine eating some cheese. if a few people die, well, whatever. I mean just inform the public of the risks, and let stupid cunts like us eat our potentially life threatening cheese - don't tell the people who are making it they can't even make it.

by that logic you should ban cars and guns and raw meat and alcohol and pet snakes and babies and

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
mindphlux 2016 : I'll ban raw meat and babies, you know, for public health and safety. :)

every cow and baby must be microwaved in an ammonia bath upon birth to stop the spread of dangerous bacterias :ohdear:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

I'm outgunned. I will have to deal with the realisation, after all this time, that I'm a coriander-hating imbecile.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

quote:

quote:

thanks for the info on listeria

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

mindphlux posted:

thanks for the info on listeria, I admittedly had no idea. does sound like a tough line to walk for folks like the FDA.

still, I personally side with culture and freedom over nanny-state and overblown health concerns re: food. If people have been making cheese for thousands of years and we haven't died off as a species, we're probably gonna be fine eating some cheese. if a few people die, well, whatever. I mean just inform the public of the risks, and let stupid cunts like us eat our potentially life threatening cheese - don't tell the people who are making it they can't even make it.

by that logic you should ban cars and guns and raw meat and alcohol and pet snakes and babies and

93% of people with a listeria infection are hospitalized. And the other 19 to 25% of them die. The 50 to 25% of the hospitalized end up with lifelong debilitating problems.

It's a ubiquitous organism too.

It thrives in dark wet and somewhat saline environments.

Kinda like cheese aging places...

Edit. Siri sucks at translation unless you speak like a robot.

NosmoKing fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 18, 2014

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

NosmoKing posted:

93% of people with listeria infection if that's hospitalized. And the other study 19 to 25% of them died. The 50 to. 25% of the hospitalized end up with lifelong debilitating problems.

and goon lairs.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

contrapants posted:

and goon lairs.

And my underoos.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

therattle posted:

And my underoos.

...and other Fromunda Cheese aging places.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

NosmoKing posted:

93% of people with a listeria infection are hospitalized. And the other 19 to 25% of them die. The 50 to 25% of the hospitalized end up with lifelong debilitating problems.

Edit. Siri sucks at translation unless you speak like a robot.

Ok I'm confused about these numbers. Are you saying that of the 100% of people infected with listeria 19-25% die? Or of the 7% of people not hospitalized 19-25% die. Or of the 93% hospitalized, 19-25% die?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Eeyo posted:

Ok I'm confused about these numbers. Are you saying that of the 100% of people infected with listeria 19-25% die? Or of the 7% of people not hospitalized 19-25% die. Or of the 93% hospitalized, 19-25% die?

Nosmo can't math.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I am having a few work colleagues and my students round for dinner at some point soon, and I want to cook something French. From things that a few people have said in the lab, I have decided I have to make a pâté starter, and do crème brûlée for dessert, but I don't know what to do for a main course. I did coq-au-vin last time I did a French menu, but there are a couple of overlapping guests, and I don't want to look like a one trick pony.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Drink and Fight posted:

Nosmo can't math.

Try to y'all CDC statistics into my phone using Siri while my break from work doesn't work I'll like right.

I will leave that one on there because that supposed to say trying to yell statistics from the CDC website using Siri as a translator does not work all that well.

I'm not an epidemiologist. I don't know how they come up with the statistic of 93 percent of infected end up hospitalized.

The scary part is: in hospital for listeria infection-1 in 5 die.
A quarter to a third (maybe half depending on on the survey) end up really hosed up.

poo poo's dangerous.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Scientastic posted:

I am having a few work colleagues and my students round for dinner at some point soon, and I want to cook something French. From things that a few people have said in the lab, I have decided I have to make a pâté starter, and do crème brûlée for dessert, but I don't know what to do for a main course. I did coq-au-vin last time I did a French menu, but there are a couple of overlapping guests, and I don't want to look like a one trick pony.

Bouillabaisse? Cassoulet?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Boef Bourguignon, if we're being classical. I like the idea of cassoulet, too.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Pissaladiere.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I would consider serving socca with that pate. It's a French chickpea crepe, scented with rosemary. Very tasty, and it pairs with almost everything.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Pissaladiere.

For all that I love it and think that it's amazing, I always think of pissaladiere as a lunchtime food...

I think cassoulet and boeuf bourguignon are good options. Bouillabaisse is out because one of the guests is a retarded man child who doesn't like ANY seafood.

Edit:

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I would consider serving socca with that pate. It's a French chickpea crepe, scented with rosemary. Very tasty, and it pairs with almost everything.

I love GWS. What a great idea.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Scientastic posted:

I think cassoulet and boeuf bourguignon are good options. Bouillabaisse is out because one of the guests is a retarded man child who doesn't like ANY seafood.

gently caress him. Make him pieds packets (trotters and tripe packages) instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

gently caress him. Make him pieds packets (trotters and tripe packages) instead.

I am sorely tempted. But I'm pretty sure he knows I don't like him, and it would unprofessional to actually confirm it.