Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Smashlampjaw posted:

Why is the soccer field so big?

It isn't as big as you think it is. Ahem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

the posted:

Keep watching the USA. They have a good chance of making it out of the group stage. Despite being in the "Group of Death," today's match between Germany and Portugal was very fortuitous for USA. On top of looking terrible, Portugal had one or two key players get injured, and another red carded which puts him out of the group stage entirely. If the USA can beat Ghana today, that will put them in a good position to get out of the group. They have to beat Portugal (which seems all the more likely now) and simply survive Germany without losing too badly (or even playing defensively to a 0-0 tie).

I thought a red card only gets you a one-game suspension (which is fine for us).

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

I thought a red card only gets you a one-game suspension (which is fine for us).

Two for a straight red for violent conduct, I think.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/50/02/75/discoinhalte.pdf

quote:

at least two matches for assaulting (elbowing, punching, kicking etc.)
an opponent or a person other than a match offi cial;

Assume it'd fall under that?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

the posted:

I think there is. On paper Ghana looked to be the weakest team for USA to face in this group. They had the most likely chance of winning (until Portugal's self-implosion).
Ghana are still better than the US at almost every position on the field and are the most cohesive of the African teams.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If not for Suarez's handball Ghana would have been in the semifinals of the last World Cup. They're a legit team and any American who thinks that's an easy game is in for a rude awakening imo.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Portugal's backups are better than almost all of USA's starters.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Raheem Sterling runs funny

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Essien and Kevin-Prince Boateng are out for Ghana today.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Henchman of Santa posted:

Essien and Kevin-Prince Boateng are out for Ghana today.

Milan lab strikes again!

That sucks though, I really wanted to yell BOA BOA BOA TENG TENG TENG when he scored.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

mynameisjohn posted:

Ghana are still better than the US at almost every position on the field and are the most cohesive of the African teams.

"The easiest team *for US to face in the group*" is what I said.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I think after the debacle of the USA game, FIFA should introduce an option to automatically re-start the match if a team clearly weren't ready and get scored against.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Two for a straight red for violent conduct, I think.

I thought the kick in Dempsey's face was a straight red because it was.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

mynameisjohn posted:

vyelkin posted:

If not for Suarez's handball Ghana would have been in the semifinals of the last World Cup. They're a legit team and any American who thinks that's an easy game is in for a rude awakening imo.

Now everyone is saying they're poo poo because they never found their stride and got taken down, and that's why you play the game. Who are the noobs gonna believe?

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
posters just judged the individuals on the team and not the team as a whole. USA had very good organization and hard working atlehtic players which ultimatly matters a lot more than individual technical ability. Not to say that the usa were poo poo technically

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

vyelkin posted:

If not for Suarez's handball Gyan shanking the penalty, Ghana would have been in the semifinals of the last World Cup. They're a legit team and any American who thinks that's an easy game is in for a rude awakening imo.

Aside from Freedom & Liberty's 3 points.

Here's the deal. Luis Suarez committed a foul resulting in a red card and a penalty kick. Sadly for Ghana, they were not able to convert the penalty to a victory and ended up losing the match, putting Uruguay through the to the semifinals. None of this has any real bearing on the current World Cup Finals tournament.

Aside from Ghana losing to Freedom & Liberty.

highme fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 17, 2014

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I should probably put this straight into the Bad Post thread but I am sincere, and I'd just like to get people's opinions. I have a problem with the low scoreline, but not for reasons of entertainment. Maybe because I'm also a fan of cricket I don't overly care about the result - I love the sport for its games-within-a-game, its technical excellence, the way it's always on a knife edge. And just like cricket I think a draw is the correct result for two evenly-matched teams. I have no time for arguments that more goals are required for entertainment reasons.

My problem is that the low scoreline makes ref decisions in the box too important. And even then, it doesn't bother me in leagues because every team gets good and bad decisions over the course of a season so it balances out. But it makes any knockout comp suspect in my mind. I don't care that the low scoreline means that a lesser team can get a lucky goal in play and have an upset win (in fact, I think that's a strength), but I do care if it's the result of a bad call by the ref.

Anyway, my question: is this just something that nobody cares about because they grew up with it, or is it just that any solutions would be worse than the status quo?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

gabensraum posted:

Anyway, my question: is this just something that nobody cares about because they grew up with it, or is it just that any solutions would be worse than the status quo?

Yes.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
It all evens out in the end

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

gabensraum posted:

I should probably put this straight into the Bad Post thread but I am sincere, and I'd just like to get people's opinions. I have a problem with the low scoreline, but not for reasons of entertainment. Maybe because I'm also a fan of cricket I don't overly care about the result - I love the sport for its games-within-a-game, its technical excellence, the way it's always on a knife edge. And just like cricket I think a draw is the correct result for two evenly-matched teams. I have no time for arguments that more goals are required for entertainment reasons.

My problem is that the low scoreline makes ref decisions in the box too important. And even then, it doesn't bother me in leagues because every team gets good and bad decisions over the course of a season so it balances out. But it makes any knockout comp suspect in my mind. I don't care that the low scoreline means that a lesser team can get a lucky goal in play and have an upset win (in fact, I think that's a strength), but I do care if it's the result of a bad call by the ref.

If you don't want decisions in the box to go against you, don't let em into your box.

Life lessons itt.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

sassassin posted:

If you don't want decisions in the box to go against you, don't let em into your box.

Life lessons itt.

Is this some sort of MRA rape metaphor

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Despite what they might say, everyone loves a dodgy decision.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
A soccer match is no democracy and the king is the ref. That's an important premise you have to make in order to appreciate soccer.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

gabensraum posted:

Honestly, the low score line makes it more exciting. A fluke goal can win a game and cause an upset. The Ref having the final say also makes it good. Think of it this way- if a call goes your way, you wouldnt be upset. Vice versa is true. It also helps the continuity of play which is imperative to the sport. Since play doesnt stop and reset every few seconds, it works. Imagine having to do a free kick every time a call was made to review it. Itd be boring.

Give it time, it will grow on you and make more sense as time goes on

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

gabensraum posted:

It's generally that the solutions would be worse, and it's also important to keep in mind that a lot of penalties happen because an attacking player has gotten the better of a defender and was about to be in a position to score.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

The Mash posted:

It all evens out in the end

this is all that needs to be said

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I've watched the sport for years, and love it. I've just always been frustrated with this one thing, and only in knockout comps.

blue footed boobie posted:

It's generally that the solutions would be worse, and it's also important to keep in mind that a lot of penalties happen because an attacking player has gotten the better of a defender and was about to be in a position to score.

This makes a lot of sense, thanks. In Australian football we say "take the umpires out of the equation", meaning that if you score enough it won't matter if the decisions go against you. It had seemed to me that in World football it's tough to do, but you've made me see it differently - you take them out of the equation by not letting them into the box. I can live with that.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
This video has been posted to death, but it's a good idea IMO for sockah newbies with questions about diving and penalties to watch this for some background: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hXMehv29jZw&feature=kp

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I want to see an indirect free kick in the box this world cup

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Jose posted:

I want to see an indirect free kick in the box this world cup

This thread will utterly explode

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm glad that our American cousins got to experience the thrill of a last gasp match winning goal in a competitive tournament.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
We also had one four years ago in an even shittier game against a shittier team that won us the group.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I just realized that this could likely be two world cups in a row where the US goes further than England.

:smug:

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Lemon posted:

Despite what they might say, everyone loves a dodgy decision.

I just realized we may never get another ridiclous bullshit goal/disallowed goal ever again, at least as far as the world cup is concerned. (And that I did love it.)

gently caress.

Spiller
Apr 28, 2010

the posted:

I just realized that this could likely be two world cups in a row where the US goes further than England.

:smug:

England and the US were both knocked out in the round of 16 in the last world cup though

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Spiller posted:

England and the US were both knocked out in the round of 16 in the last world cup though

usa wins 1-1

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kaislioc posted:

I just realized we may never get another ridiclous bullshit goal/disallowed goal ever again, at least as far as the world cup is concerned. (And that I did love it.)

gently caress.

The goal line tech wouldn't have stopped the hand of god. Or Henry's sinking of the Irish economy.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
What's that generic chant when keeper prepares and then shoots a long ball? Sounds like Wheeeeeeeeee .... Pu-to!

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Doctor Malaver posted:

What's that generic chant when keeper prepares and then shoots a long ball? Sounds like Wheeeeeeeeee .... Pu-to!

That's exactly what it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Lamont Cranston posted:

That's exactly what it is

Or the english version:
YOOOOOOOUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEE poo poo-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

• Locked thread