Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Blackberry. Just say Blackberry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jot
Jul 5, 2003

Some parts of history were never meant to be uncovered.

FrozenVent posted:

Blackberry. Just say Blackberry.

Well, there's CGI, Opentext, and probably some smaller firms I'm missing too. But yeah, mostly Blackberry.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Is Istarion PT6A's even-more-offensively-neoliberal alt account? :magical:

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Kalenn Istarion posted:

The sale of businesses during boom times and purchasing them for cheap during downturns has made governments heaps of money. See US gov't profit on TARP funds from 2008: http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/BL-WB-42000

This doesn't include the profits that the fed other central banks have made through QE and other related programs. http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2012/11/monetary-policy-4

Significant institutions not developed by the government which are best in class globally:

http://vcn.bc.ca/pmmuseum/Programs/Building%20the%20Trans%20Canada%20Railroad.pdf

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banking_in_Canada

See also the oil sands

the agricultural industry

mining

steelmaking

Shipping

The Canadian tech industry

Examples of things the government sold before the industry devolved into a complete shitpile thus avoiding significant liabilities:
Air Canada

Other stuff they've sold:
CN Rail (solid money maker but declining industry with escalating capital investment); has done well as a public company in spite of stiff competition / substitution
Petro-Canada (created as a policy tool by Trudeau, left to its own devices and subsequently spun out at great profit by subsequent governments, particularly at times when those governments were paying off debts)

As I mentioned earlier, they're currently considering spinning out CMHC due in part to the significant moral hazard it represents as noted by some people in this thread.

lol the transcanada railway was "not developed by government"? Shipping industry? Banking? oil sands? mining? agricultural? Are you loving seriously claiming these industries developed privately? Do you have any loving clue how resource development and infrastructure gets built?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lol CGI. count on canada to produce a worse pile of poo poo than accenture or ibm

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Rime posted:

Is Istarion PT6A's even-more-offensively-neoliberal alt account? :magical:
Okay, for the love of Pierre, can we not do this?

There are reasons to disagree over policy, but narrative failures are not cause for demonizing.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

RBC posted:

lol the transcanada railway was "not developed by government"? Shipping industry? Banking? oil sands? mining? agricultural? Are you loving seriously claiming these industries developed privately? Do you have any loving clue how resource development and infrastructure gets built?

Well, depending on how flexibile your definition of developed is...

... but listing steelmaking as a world-class industry in Canada is a head-scratcher. Have we all forgotten about Stelco? Like, it's right there in Hamilton. Or not.

Not to mention that ignoring the Canada Wheat Board and the now-defunct Cereal Research Centre (thanks CPC!) is a biiit of a stretch.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Significant institutions not developed by the government which are best in class globally:

http://vcn.bc.ca/pmmuseum/Programs/Building%20the%20Trans%20Canada%20Railroad.pdf

This is literally a Canadian Pacific Railway history for children, look at the sources. The CPR as an "institution" was almost entirely conceived and developed by the government. Sir John A. resigned over a scandal involving kickbacks for awarding the contract to build it. You can't get the government much more involved than that, short of them actually building it themselves.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cultural Imperial posted:

lol CGI. count on canada to produce a worse pile of poo poo than accenture or ibm

the best ownage since canadians helped burn down the whitehouse

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I am scratching my head a bit about that list of best in show industry unbespotted by government finger prints.

Steel: Wasn't that mill in Obtario bribed to open by the government, then took the money and ran?

Shipping: Isn't the largest shipping company owned by a former PM?

Oil Sands: I know this is true because a government ad just told me so. Also, Norway seems to be doing this better. (Oil at least, maybe not the sands part.)

Tech: Hahahahaha. I think >30% of my wages are SRED. And it's only best in class if you forget about the US.

Now, that said I think I missed why we want to nationalize the banks? I think it was mingled into all that tolerance chat from a couple pages back. Is it because we think that if the banks were under the steady stewardship if Joe Oliver that they wouldn't have let the housing bubble get so big? Since the housing bubble is government policy I am not sure how reasonable that assumption is.

ocrumsprug fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 17, 2014

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

etalian posted:

the best ownage since canadians helped burn down the whitehouse

wait until you have to work with their employees. ugh

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

ocrumsprug posted:

Shipping: Isn't the largest shipping company owned by a former PM?

No. It isn't the largest shipping company in Canada, it's no longer owned by that guy, and owned by the PM as a private citizen =/= government managed. That's not to say the government doesn't support shipping (it does, basically every first world country does), but you went for the most superficial of relationship.

And yeah, Stelco Hamilton isn't a great example of a government run industry. Isn't the plant shut down? Mind you the steel market in the region took a bath in poo poo creek around '09 so that's sort of understandable.

How did we get into this tangent anyway?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...T.cg_n=TWT_COR2

quote:

This is a watershed year for Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC).

We are a 67-year-old company with a proud history but also a new, more focused mission, one that recognizes our role during the financial crisis and seeks to build an even stronger housing system for Canadians.

Our core mission is to “help Canadians meet their housing needs.”

Each of these words matters. Firstly, we exist to help all Canadians. As a Crown corporation, we are a bridge for Canadians hoping to access quality, affordable housing. Our role is to help qualified borrowers meet their housing “needs,” rather than their “wants.” Helping Canadians acquire the housing they aspire to is more appropriately the role of the private sector. We believe a vibrant, competitive insurance market will offer more choices for Canadians.

Measured against this yardstick, we have recently discontinued some mortgage loan insurance programs and re-priced others. On June 6, we announced the discontinuation of mortgage loan insurance for new condominium construction and limited our “low ratio” (greater than 20 per cent down-payment) product. Earlier in the year, we announced the discontinuation of our second home and self-employed without independent income validation products. These changes are the result of a review of our mortgage insurance business.

Ultimately, we are not looking to be larger. Instead, we want to be a safeguard for Canadian housing markets. Our focused mission acknowledges the value of private sector competition, underpinned by the safety net that a resilient CMHC provides. We firmly believe CMHC’s strong market presence is a source of confidence in Canadian housing finance markets. The recent financial crisis showed that a resilient CMHC provides a stronger foundation in both good times and bad than did our U.S. cousins, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

We have restored CMHC to our core raison d’être: Helping Canadians meet their housing needs. Importantly, our decision to offer fewer products does not reflect a view that Canada’s housing market is overheated. Our most recent analysis and research tells us that the Canadian housing market is experiencing a soft landing. Some indicators suggest modest over-valuation, but not a housing bubble. That said, we don’t want to play a part in unintentionally contributing to higher house prices. After all, stoking demand increases prices, preventing some Canadians from buying homes.

My 1,900 colleagues across the country have embraced our more focused mission with enthusiasm. I work with Canada’s best collection of housing experts and expertise – truly Canada’s housing authority. CMHC has a deep reservoir of knowledge that can help people make wise housing decisions. We will be intensifying our market analysis and research in the months ahead. A more open and transparent CMHC will serve Canadians better.

As I have already noted, CMHC has a proud history. The proof of our commitment lies in the difference we’ve made. Our help is evident in the role we played in the last financial crisis, helping to shelter Canada through a challenging period. It is also apparent to the nearly 600,000 Canadian that receive housing assistance. We feel the daily impact of helping our fellow Canadians find a home and have access to affordable housing finance, no matter where they live or the type of housing they need. As Canada’s housing authority, this is how we contribute to the stability of Canada’s housing market. Simply put, this is why we exist.

Like any business, we exist in a rapidly changing environment. We will continue to explore ways to further improve what we do. As a key player managing the federal government’s housing market risk, we must limit taxpayer exposure to the housing market.

Our eyes are on the future now: Preparing for the next challenge, not the last one. A more focused CMHC is a better asset for Canada, both today and when the next economic challenge arises.

Evan Siddall is President and CEO of Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation.

love the loving airquotes there evan

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

Importantly, our decision to offer fewer products does not reflect a view that Canada’s housing market is overheated. Our most recent analysis and research tells us that the Canadian housing market is experiencing a soft landing.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Cultural Imperial posted:

Earlier in the year, we announced the discontinuation of our... self-employed without independent income validation products

Wait, did it really take them until the year of our lord 2014 to figure out that NINJA loans are bad?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

LemonDrizzle posted:

Wait, did it really take them until the year of our lord 2014 to figure out that NINJA loans are bad?

Also letting the CMHC fund second home loans.

lolling how even the CMHC is talking about a soft landing narrative instead of prices going up up up

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Everything after 'see also' in my post wasn't intended to be in the best in class bucket but I can see how my hastily posted mess of words while running out the door didn't make that clear.

RBC posted:

Are we talking about the management of industries or government companies? The Canadian economy is managed so of course the government had a hand in almost every industry. Regulation is not operation, and providing the political support for independent growth is not the same as undertaking that growth on your own.

This whole line of discussion is stupid and came about as a result of a stupid suggestion that I couldn't believe someone had the lack of sense to suggest unironically. I've now gone way out on a limb to make a point but am tired of pissing into a windstorm. Let's go back to reading CI's totally unbiased reportage of the existence of a housing bubble.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Let's go back to reading CI's totally unbiased reportage of the existence of a housing bubble.

Wait, are you denying that there's a housing bubble at all?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I had heard a pretty interesting explanation recently that the Canadian banking system, together with many other aspects of the economy, was centralized very early on for the sole reason of keeping control in Anglo hands and to head off a French(who were the majority for many years) revolt. An early form of apartheid if you will.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://businessincanada.com/2014/06/16/its-time-to-start-worrying-about-montreals-condo-market/

quote:

The latest impressive figures on activity in the Canadian housing market, showing resales rising 4.8 percent year-over-year and quality-adjusted prices up 5 percent in May, masked the massive regional divide in Canada’s housing market.

Bank of Montreal senior economist Robert Kavcic nailed what has become a bit of a refrain for observers of trends in Canadian real estate – that it’s useless to speak of a “national” market:

[B]ecause of wide regional differences, the headline numbers do little to tell the housing market story in Canada. Most vividly, while Alberta and Ontario (namely Calgary and Toronto) have little more than 3 months’ worth of supply on the market, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and PEI each have more than a year of inventory to absorb—in most cases, those are decade highs that exceed even levels seen at the height of the Great Recession.

If you own a single-family home in Toronto or Vancouver – or anything in Calgary – you’re seeing the value of your property grow at a rate far higher than that of inflation or average wages. But that’s not true of the market at large.

Of the biggest metropolitan areas, Montreal is the city in which the oft-prophesied bear case is starting to take shape and gain strength. Prices of single-family homes rose just 0.4 percent year-over-year, far below the national average, with active listings creeping higher while sales fell. CIBC economist Benjamin Tal, who has defended the nation’s housing market against a legion of international naysayers, has said that properties in Montreal are very expensive relative to fundamentals – even more so than in Toronto.

Montreal Condo StatesWhile the cranes that dot the skyline put all the attention on Toronto’s condominium market, conditions in Montreal’s multi-family segment have been deteriorating while the high-rise market in Canada’s biggest city remains, relatively speaking, rather robust. In Montreal, months of condominium inventory on the market have risen from 6.8 in May 2012 to 9.9 last year, up to 11.5 in its latest reading.

It takes 115 days, on average, to sell one of these properties, and it’s not hard to see why. Active listings have been going up at a double-digit clip for more than two years (see right), while condominium sales linger below levels seen four years ago.

“It looks like what’s happening in Montreal is similar to what’s happening in Toronto,” TD economist Diana Petramala told us back in March. “The inventory of condos on the market is rising faster than demand, putting downward pressure on prices.”

This supply-demand imbalance gives buyers the upper hand. But unlike in Toronto, condominiums in Montreal are starting to respond to this dynamic, as the median selling price was down 1 percent from May 2013. To be sure, softness in prices is nothing new for Montreal condo owners. For the vast majority of the past year, the MLS Apartment Home Price Index has failed to keep pace with the rate of inflation:

Montreal Apartment HPI v InflationIn other words, it costs less in ‘real’ dollars to buy a condominium in Montreal than it did a year ago.

The fundamentals underpinning Montreal’s housing market – the labour market statistics – haven’t exactly been stellar over the past year either. Full-time employment has virtually flatlined, the adult population is growing at a slow rate, and the labour force is shrinking:

Montreal Labour MarketAll the warning signals here are flashing red. Without a rapid, marked improvement in the city’s labour market, it’s very difficult to see an impetus for condo prices to rise in the near future – especially if the long-predicted rising rate environment materializes sooner rather than later.

:stare:

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

shrike82 posted:

Wait, are you denying that there's a housing bubble at all?

No?

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009
I'm really thrilled by the situation of the market in Montreal. Considering i live in Trois-Rivieres, one of the already lower priced market in the province, which is having pretty much the same market pressure being applied to it (Shrinking labor force, old population moving into residence, dying manufacturing sector), i can only imagine how much lower prices could go following rising interest rates. Good, nice looking bungalows can already be had for under 150k. If rising rates can bring that down 10-15% i might actually buy one.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
On the subject of callable debt:
http://gailvazoxlade.com/blog/?p=6123

quote:

According to Leger Marketing, 24% of Canadians surveyed said they plan to carry debt into their retirement. Of those, 80% say they have no plans to pay it off.

So you work hard to get to retirement, and when you do you’ve got some credit card and maybe some line of credit debt still lingering. No problem. You’ll just keep making your minimum payments. In fact, if you have to, you’ll get access to a couple of new cards so you can pull your minimum payments from those. Hey, you did it while you were working, what’s to stop you now that you’re retired?

Maybe the spectre of leaving your debt to your children? Nah, that’s not a problem. After all, you can’t bequeath debt. The only way for them to be on the hook would have been to actually sign on and you love your kids too much to have done that to them. Nope, you’re clear in your own mind the only one that will get screwed is the bank. Hey, they made plenty of money in interest off you all your life, right?

But what if…

What if two years into retirement, your bank calls you up and says, “Hey there, remember us. It’s time to pay us back.”

You say, “I’m making my minimum payments, what’s up?”

The bank says, “Didn’t you think we’d noticed that you’re getting pretty close to popping off this mortal coil? We’ve got your birthday on record y’know.”

You say, “Okay, but I’ll need some time. I’ve got to juggle a few things,” as sweat starts to pour down the back of your neck and run to the middle of your back where it sits and gets very, very cold.

The bank says, “Okay, you have 10 days. Then it’s pay up or we’re taking legal action.”

They can’t do that, you think. I’m a good customer. I’ve been a good customer all my life.

Hey, they can, and they may. Credit card debt, line of credit debt, overdraft protection, it’s all “callable.” That means any time the bank wants it’s money back, it can demand and you must pay.

If you think you can carry on carrying on with the same minimum payment habit you established while you were a Working Joe, chances are you’re in for a shock. Would you be prepared to cash out your investments with 10 day’s notice? What if the markets are down? Could you cash in GICs and how much interest would you lose? Would you even have that kind of money ready to pull? If not, are you prepared to sell your home?

Carrying debt into retirement is dumb. Thinking that lenders are just going to let you sit on it until you die, that’s stupid. You do know those guys are into making a profit, right? Are they about to let a whole bunch of debt-beat retirees put their balance sheets at risk? I think not.

I am admittedly a big fan of Gail and Suzy Orman.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Coylter posted:

I'm really thrilled by the situation of the market in Montreal. Considering i live in Trois-Rivieres, one of the already lower priced market in the province, which is having pretty much the same market pressure being applied to it (Shrinking labor force, old population moving into residence, dying manufacturing sector), i can only imagine how much lower prices could go following rising interest rates. Good, nice looking bungalows can already be had for under 150k. If rising rates can bring that down 10-15% i might actually buy one.

I'm assuming you and your friends are quite young. What sort of jobs are people getting?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Coylter posted:

Why on earth would you want to buy a home in a city with bad prospects? If you're that keen on getting nice houses for a song, I hear Detroit's pretty cheap...

Coylter
Aug 3, 2009
The city is far from Detroit, i'm in IT myself and there is quite of bit of work in that field considering the utterly abysmal tech knowledge of the average joe in the region.

Beside, its a very nice place to live. Close to nature, all the advantages of a big city, none of the cons. It's in the middle of the province, so its close to either Quebec or Montreal. T-R is just a very nice city.

Coylter fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 17, 2014

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

LemonDrizzle posted:

Why on earth would you want to buy a home in a city with bad prospects? If you're that keen on getting nice houses for a song, I hear Detroit's pretty cheap...

You've never been to Montreal, have you?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

jet sanchEz posted:

SHUT UP MONTREAL SUCKS

:ninja:

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

jet sanchEz posted:

Nope, but "shrinking labor force, old population moving into residence, dying manufacturing sector" doesn't exactly make it sound appealing. Hence the question.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Trois-Rivieres isn't the most boring city in Quebec, because Drummondville exists.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

That's an awful lot of words to say: there's no housing bubble and we create no perverse incentives.

Lady doth protest?

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Lexicon posted:

That's an awful lot of words to say: there's no housing bubble and we create no perverse incentives.

Lady doth protest?

It's all a matter of perspective. It's very likely they sincerely believe that the banks have taken advantage of them, which they have. Of course that is only possible because the Fed allowed it. Are you getting the sense there's a circular finger pointing thing happening now that people are looking who to blame?

Great - welcome to the adult world of business, money and politics. Too bad this one's a doozy.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Saltin posted:

It's all a matter of perspective. It's very likely they sincerely believe that the banks have taken advantage of them, which they have. Of course that is only possible because the Fed allowed it. Are you getting the sense there's a circular finger pointing thing happening now that people are looking who to blame?

It sure seems that way. I'd cover my rear end this way also (remembering, of course, that the central purpose of any organization, however altruistic, is to perpetuate its own existence indefinitely).

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
File this one under 'not surprising but explains a lot:'

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2009/01/12/firms_funding_905_campaigns.html

quote:

Firms funding '905' campaigns
Election campaigns in Toronto's satellite municipalities are overwhelmingly bankrolled by corporate money, most of it from the same developers responsible for cascading sprawl in the region, new research suggests.

By: Iain Marlow STAFF REPORTER, Published on Mon Jan 12 2009
Election campaigns in Toronto's satellite municipalities are overwhelmingly bankrolled by corporate money, most of it from the same developers responsible for cascading sprawl in the region, new research suggests.

No one thinks city councillors can be bought by a developer's $750 campaign contribution, the maximum allowed per donor under the Municipal Elections Act.

But Robert MacDermid, an associate professor of political science at York University who is publishing a paper on the subject today, says the sheer amount of cash flowing from developers to incumbents – as opposed to coming from citizens who believe in a candidate's platform – erodes the concept of democratic representation.

In the 905 in 2006, election winners got 54.3 per cent of their funding from developers, losers 35 per cent. In Toronto, the numbers are 12 per cent and 4 per cent.

Since there are no rules restricting the number of candidates to whom corporations can donate, they often do so multiple times. MacDermid contends all that money, combined with shortcomings in the Ontario Municipal Elections Act, puts new candidates at a disadvantage, especially those who oppose developers' interests. "It reduces the choice that citizens actually have," he says. "The difficulty with (a candidate) opposing development is that it's hard to find enough money."
There are several factors involved.

One is that abysmal voter turnout, and minuscule citizen interest in municipal politics, means few people bother to donate to candidates.

Municipal election rules also allow incumbents, who can raise funds more easily than new challengers, to save any surplus campaign cash until the next election.

As one of the few political scientists in Canada studying municipal election financing (he knows of two), MacDermid has made it his mission to lobby for reforms in the Municipal Elections Act. He's published 10 papers on the subject.

According to the figures, Pickering and Vaughan city councils are the most beholden to corporate interests. Collectively, corporate gifts accounted for 76.7 per cent and 62.8 per cent, respectively, of recorded campaign donations to candidates in those cities (counting donations of $100 or more, for which donors' names must be disclosed).

The highest percentage of union donations was in Oshawa, a bastion of organized labour, but even that amounted to just 4 per cent.

Just over two-thirds of Vaughan councillor Alan Shefman's donations (67 per cent) came from developers in 2006, the highest percentage of any Vaughan councillor.

Still, he raised only $24,068, the lowest of any Vaughan candidate and, he says, the bare minimum needed. "To be really honest I'd rather not take any money whatsoever from any developer or any business if that was possible," he says. But putting signs on the street "is an expensive proposition."

Shefman says most municipal voters see little reason to contribute to local councillors' campaigns. "There's so little interest in a ward councillor election, that it's really tough to get donations," he says. "And we don't have a tax incentive."

Provincial and federal governments offer tax breaks for political contributions, but only three municipalities offer equivalent rebates: Markham, Ajax and Toronto.

The lack of such rebates, which typically reimburse up to 75 per cent of contributions, partially explains the lack of interest.

Both Ajax and Toronto have actively discouraged corporate and union donations. Last week, Toronto's executive committee voted 7-4 to ban them, though the decision must still go before city council.

Long-serving Ajax mayor Steve Parish says he does not take money from developers. He believes that accepting corporate donations instills an "inherent bias" in councils toward development, regardless of the community's best interest.
"In the municipal business, especially in growth municipalities like in the 905, what we do is we consider and approve rezoning and official plan amendments and change land from wild land into developed land," Parish says. "To me, it's ethically a conflict of interest."

Ajax has a low ratio of corporate to citizen donations – 22.4 to 28.1 per cent, the lowest outside Toronto. It also has the highest percentage of candidates using their own money, which MacDermid says gives unfair advantage to the rich.

MacDermid says it's unlikely the province will ban corporate and union donations at the municipal level. "They don't want to reform their own system. The provincial parties allow corporate and trade union contributions and they don't want to give them up," he says.

"So if they did change the Municipal Act, they'd look awfully stupid, wouldn't they?"

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
This loving country is so hosed up. We now build domiciles for the sole purpose of trading them with other people which increases the velocity of money to such a degree that our economy would shrink significantly if we stopped. Forget natural resources being the bane that wrought the dutch disease. It's the loving real estate industry.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really wish we'd stop looking at housing as an "investment" and high/growing housing prices as a good thing. Housing is simply a need, like food and water, or transport, or electricity. No one cheers when food prices go up, unless they've somehow invested heavily in a farm. But that's the problem, it's as if everyone in the country has invested their savings and gone into massive debt to gamble on food prices, and even though that loaf of bread is $10 it's ok because tomorrow it will be $15 and we'll eat the difference.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Sounds legit.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

THC posted:

Sounds legit.

Those have been around in Victoria for at least the last 5 years. I don't understand who takes them up on it. It's even a bigger rip off than "cash 4 gold" places. Who the heck calls up a random number they say on a telephone pole to sell their house at a massive reduction for CA$H?? Is this actually a viable business for the people putting up the signs? I understand they'd only need to scam a person or two a year to make it totally worth their while but I'd love to know if they're ever successful and if so how often and in what situations.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Baronjutter posted:

Those have been around in Victoria for at least the last 5 years. I don't understand who takes them up on it. It's even a bigger rip off than "cash 4 gold" places. Who the heck calls up a random number they say on a telephone pole to sell their house at a massive reduction for CA$H?? Is this actually a viable business for the people putting up the signs? I understand they'd only need to scam a person or two a year to make it totally worth their while but I'd love to know if they're ever successful and if so how often and in what situations.

In the US, these guys are typically lawyers. They mostly buy up liens against houses and then initiate foreclosure proceedings as soon as possible. Many times they get lucky and the owner of the house doesn't pay attention or doesn't fight it in court and then the lawyers get a nice cash payout or the title to the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I really wish we'd stop looking at housing as an "investment" and high/growing housing prices as a good thing. Housing is simply a need, like food and water, or transport, or electricity. No one cheers when food prices go up, unless they've somehow invested heavily in a farm. But that's the problem, it's as if everyone in the country has invested their savings and gone into massive debt to gamble on food prices, and even though that loaf of bread is $10 it's ok because tomorrow it will be $15 and we'll eat the difference.

Yeah if anything you want slight deflation over time like in the German real estate housing since it leads to lower costs of living for everyone.