Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tiramisu posted:

I'm honestly surprised at how many of the students are grossed out by this. The guests I can understand, but breaking down a carcass is something taught in the first year at most culinary schools. It's really common when dealing with seafood too. When I buy a live fish at the supermarket, they club its head right behind the counter, and when you buy a lobster you generally kill it yourself. If you want to be humane, you plunge a knife into its head.

Fish and Shellfish are a little less visceral than reptiles, birds or mammals (or amphibians) so there's a bit of a difference in reaction when slaughtering one over the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

People also generally like turtles (because they are rad :3:), so seeing one have its head chopped off it a bit ehhh.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Oh Snapple! posted:

People also generally like turtles (because they are rad :3:), so seeing one have its head chopped off it a bit ehhh.

Someone's never met a snapping turtle, they're viscous little bastards and they'll rip your fingers and toes right off if given the chance.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shokugeki-no-Soma/Ch-074--Sensitive-Monster?id=199751

New chapter!

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I love how everyone is just calling her Hishoko. Not gonna lie, I would try that turtle burger out of curiosity. Design wise, it kinda looks like a bigger version of the pork belly buns from a place called Momofuku in New York...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So its primary appeal is a very gummy/sticky meat patty? I'm not sure why having food stick to the roof of your mouth is supposed to be pleasant.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Compendium posted:

I love how everyone is just calling her Hishoko. Not gonna lie, I would try that turtle burger out of curiosity. Design wise, it kinda looks like a bigger version of the pork belly buns from a place called Momofuku in New York...

The shape of those buns are the same everywhere in East Asia if your implication is that David Chang came up with it in the first place because trust me, he definitely didn't.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Man it's a burger contest. I'd be amazed if the spice guy didn't win, so I was expecting secretary girl to pull out something really gimmicky. I wasn't disappointed.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Serious Frolicking posted:

So its primary appeal is a very gummy/sticky meat patty? I'm not sure why having food stick to the roof of your mouth is supposed to be pleasant.

The patty had a lot of gelatinous broth mixed in, the heat would melt that back into a rich broth distributed throughout the meat. Because the broth would melt she needed something to give the patty structure so it wouldn't fall apart in the pan, hence the use of crepine. The result would be an extremely juicy and rich flavor and texture, it would only be sticky when raw.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Furious Lobster posted:

The shape of those buns are the same everywhere in East Asia if your implication is that David Chang came up with it in the first place because trust me, he definitely didn't.

Oh no, I'm definitely not implying that! I know he didn't invent folded steamed buns, but I guess my statement sounded dumb enough to make it seem that. In terms of fine dining and chefs which this manga is all about, the turtle patty in a steamed bun made me think of him first since he's a chef whose cooking has a variety of influences due to his upbringing.

So, tangential connection on my part. :downs:

Compendium fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 17, 2014

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Compendium posted:

Oh no, I'm definitely not implying that! I know he didn't invent folded steamed buns, but I guess my statement sounded dumb enough to make it seem that. In terms of fine dining and chefs which this manga is all about, the turtle patty in a steamed bun made me think of him first since he's a chef whose cooking has a variety of influences due to his upbringing.

So, tangential connection on my part. :downs:

I don't know much about his upbringing per se but I think that while he does incorporate aspects of Korean cooking into his restaurants, his style is more Japanese because of the time spent in Japan learning how to ramen, etc. Also he lived on Japanese fast food from convenience stores for a while and they sell a lot of steamed meat buns, which are pretty good..

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
New chapter came out during the downtime.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Hamburgers don't need to have pickles. :colbert:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

They do if they want to be any good. :v:

A pickle spear on the side is acceptable though.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

BlitzBlast posted:

That was the worst chapter. He made a gyro. You shouldn't be able to win a hamburger contest with a gyro. They just had a chapter saying that Alice failed because she didn't understand bentos.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Glad I found this thread, read through the manga last week and I like it a lot. The art is excellent and Megumi is freakin' adorable. Also one of my favorite things in it for some reason is the way the artist draws Alice's eyes as just ovals sometimes, it looks really neat to me.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

Also one of my favorite things in it for some reason is the way the artist draws Alice's eyes as just ovals sometimes, it looks really neat to me.

I do too. It has to do with Alice's normal character design, her face is very sleek, angular, and kind of sinister looking. By making her eyes little ovals, it takes that edge away and allows an easy transition into comedy. It fits with Alice's whole schtick of looking like a typical mysterious shounen rival character at first glance but nope she's actually a fairly chill person.

That contrast is why Alice is my favorite character.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Neo_Crimson posted:

I do too. It has to do with Alice's normal character design, her face is very sleek, angular, and kind of sinister looking. By making her eyes little ovals, it takes that edge away and allows an easy transition into comedy. It fits with Alice's whole schtick of looking like a typical mysterious shounen rival character at first glance but nope she's actually a fairly chill person.

That contrast is why Alice is my favorite character.

Subversion of tropes is the main thing I like about this manga. It's most evident when the Italian guy tries to do something dramatically shonen and Souma ruins the atmosphere, but we're also getting it with this new big guy who just looks big and strong but is actually a scheme-y, data-driven, manipulator type.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Soylentbits posted:

That was the worst chapter. He made a gyro. You shouldn't be able to win a hamburger contest with a gyro. They just had a chapter saying that Alice failed because she didn't understand bentos.

I'm mainly disappointed that there wasn't any cheese, but I guess that would have made it "cheeseburger" instead of plain ol' "hamburger," but hey, semantics.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Soylentbits posted:

Perhaps the artist failed this test because as a Japanese, he didn't understand hamburgers. :aaaaa:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Compendium posted:

I'm mainly disappointed that there wasn't any cheese, but I guess that would have made it "cheeseburger" instead of plain ol' "hamburger," but hey, semantics.

What is the purpose of cheese in a burger?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

To be delicious.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Zenzirouj posted:

Subversion of tropes is the main thing I like about this manga. It's most evident when the Italian guy tries to do something dramatically shonen and Souma ruins the atmosphere, but we're also getting it with this new big guy who just looks big and strong but is actually a scheme-y, data-driven, manipulator type.

Who wears an apron and takes like twenty minutes to lock up his bike.

You know a weird thing I noticed? His introduction had him crashing the tournament the exact same way Megumi did, ie they both were the last to go, both came after a climatic showdown that would have closed the block on a high note, and both took 4th place against all expectations. I think they had the same score, too.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Is a hamburger a sandwich :v: ?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

All hamburgers are sandwiches but not all snadwiches are hamburgers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ethiser posted:

Unless the hamburger is a gyro, in which case it is not a sandwich (or a hamburger).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

To be delicious.

But how? A proper sauce could emulate some of the savory qualities of cheese without getting any of the fattiness that might be acquired from it.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ethiser posted:

How about a protein burger?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Xelkelvos posted:

But how? A proper sauce could emulate some of the savory qualities of cheese without getting any of the fattiness that might be acquired from it.

It's not like a hamburger is healthy to begin with. Also, some people like both sauce and cheese.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I prefer my burgers without vegetables, cheese, or buns.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

I think you might be taking cooking a little too seriously.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I guess this latest contest is just a demonstration of a simple rule you should always follow. Never go to an american food restaurant while you are overseas. They will get it subtly, disturbingly wrong. Well, obviously not to the extent of calling minced turtle in steamed bread or a gyro hamburgers, but it usually isn't particularly edible either.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Man if you think that's bad, look at american chinese food. It's literally it's own entity now.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised if some people thought Taco Bell was Mexican food.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Captain McStabbin posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if some people thought Taco Bell was Mexican food.

I've actually had to explain to someone that, no, a crunchwrap supreme isn't mexican food.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Are you people trying to tell me that Doritos Locos Tacos aren't a Mexican import?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

I think you might be taking cooking a little too seriously.

I'm probably thinking about it as hard as the writer.

Also, you can never think too hard about cooking when the goal is deconstruction or innovation.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm probably thinking about it as hard as the writer.

Also, you can never think too hard about cooking when the goal is deconstruction or innovation.

True, but that's not really the goal here, it's more to make cooking an entertaining spectacle. Flimsy definitions of "hamburgers" not withstanding, are you not entertained?

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Xelkelvos posted:

Yes you can. When you start bashing delicious cheese, you went too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

SatansBestBuddy posted:

True, but that's not really the goal here, it's more to make cooking an entertaining spectacle. Flimsy definitions of "hamburgers" not withstanding, are you not entertained?

The only spectacle here is watching supposed world class foodies flipping out about steamed buns and gyros in a hamburger contest.