Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The homedir thing is easy, we're all actually in the same AD domain (we use QAS to auth against AD) and access the same storage, it's just an admistrative problem. Mainly, module files for department A not existing when you log into Department B, causing terminal errors.

Software is a lot of engineering and math and statistics software. Matlab, Mathematica, ProE, Octave, etc etc. A lot of these clock in at 5-10GB a piece, which is why it's prohibitive to just install them all locally on the machine. I was thinking of just putting symlinks in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin to the binary and calling it a day.

Part of the problem is that some people just absolutely hate change, so the way we've always done is the way we should continue to do it going forward. Also, because we've done it this specific way for so long (each piece of software has its own automount map, each module adds that specific automounted directory to your path) a lot of people aren't able to separate the technologies in their head (if we add something to the path it has to be an automounted directory, if we automount a directory we have to add it to the path).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

evol262 posted:

You probably uninstalled your kernel, and the grub triggers removed it. Pretty soon, you'll also be able to do this on Fedora (kernel is currently handled specially in yum, though RPM will happily do it). Progress! Boot into it with a rescue CD and reinstall it. Grab packages and do it manually with dpkg -i if you have to.

By "reinstall it" do you mean the kernel? How do I use dpkg to install into another system? Once I boot in with my recovery USB I assume if I do dpkg it will only install in the temporary USB system. And won't there still be that circular dependency issue?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

SurgicalOntologist posted:

By "reinstall it" do you mean the kernel? How do I use dpkg to install into another system? Once I boot in with my recovery USB I assume if I do dpkg it will only install in the temporary USB system. And won't there still be that circular dependency issue?

You'll want to use chroot, here's a post describing the process. Step 1 though should be "if your hard drive install isn't mounted, create a mount point if necessary and mount it". EDIT: found a better guide which is tailored to your exact situation (the second, longer answer is particularly detailed): http://askubuntu.com/questions/28099/how-to-restore-a-system-after-accidentally-removing-all-kernels Once you're in the chroot you can run apt / dpkg / grub whatever you need to fix the system installed on your hard drive. (Though if you're getting circular dependency problems it may be easier to give up and flatten / reinstall.)

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 13, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Somebody (I forget who, sorry!) asked for an effortpost on Wayland, so I went ahead and made one. It might be a bit too in depth, but hopefully it's enjoyable to read! I have some earlier effortposts if you want to read them as well, just go back a bit in the blog history.

http://blog.mecheye.net/2014/06/xdg-shell/

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

spoon0042 posted:

You'll want to use chroot, here's a post describing the process. Step 1 though should be "if your hard drive install isn't mounted, create a mount point if necessary and mount it". EDIT: found a better guide which is tailored to your exact situation (the second, longer answer is particularly detailed): http://askubuntu.com/questions/28099/how-to-restore-a-system-after-accidentally-removing-all-kernels Once you're in the chroot you can run apt / dpkg / grub whatever you need to fix the system installed on your hard drive. (Though if you're getting circular dependency problems it may be easier to give up and flatten / reinstall.)

Thanks, should be interesting to play around with, even if ultimately I end up flattening.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

the posted:

I'm trying to verify my provider account on espn3 to stream the world cup.

I've tried on both Chromium and Firefox, and the following happens:

1. I click the match
2. A window pops up asking me to verify my provider
3. I select my provider and it goes to my provider's page
4. I login
5. It takes me back to the espn3 page
6. I click the game and a window again pops up asking me to verify my provider
7. I select my provider and click ok
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for infinity

What the hell could be going on?

edit: This even occurs when I am logged into the ATT U-verse account page on an adjacent tab.

Apparently it depends on HAL for the DRM. See this post for details. In short, add the ppa:mjblenner/ppa-hal repository and install the hal package. Although this still hasn't fixed it for me. I can now get a pop-up of the event window, but I'm told that "WatchESPN cannot be accessed outside the US." And I am very much in the US. So, I don't know, maybe it'll work for you.

e: vbcode is hard

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
I'm trying to do something dumb with gnome. I have this DP>2xHDMI adapter for my laptop, which basically enumerates my two screens as a siingle 3840x1080 display. This causes issues such as windows maximizing across both screens. This is pretty annoying, but I've found that I can use CompizConfigSettingsManager and manually set the display geometry to 1920x1080+0+0 and 1920x1080+1920+0.

The only problem is that this means I have to turn off display autodetect and manually fix them when I want to go to just using my laptop screen or anything else.

What I would like to do is make some kind of script that detects display events, checks what displays are connected, and then modifies this field accordingly. There's really only three states--monitors attached and lid closed, monitors attached and lid open, and monitors detached and lid opened. Although, failing back to autodetect when it's not in one of those states would be awesome too. And getting it to work in lightdm would be really cool too, although probably less important.

The problem is I can't find where this setting is actually stored. It's adjustable in CompizConfigSettingsManager, but it's not anywhere in gconftool, gconftool2 or gconf-editor. grepping ~/* for "3840" or "1920" doesn't seem to show anything either.

I'd also like to know where I can put in hooks for the script. It's clear that when things change about the display configuration (i.e I open the lid or pull a cable) something gets run, so I'd like to just tweak this functionality.

And no, fakeXinerama doesn't work.

edit: this is ubuntu 14.04, using unity or whateverthefuck.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
So I hosed up pretty badly. I installed Windows 7, made a partition for Mint and followed a guide to install it. I started up my computer and Mint and Windows wouldn't start. I took out the HD, formatted the Linux partitions thinking I could get rid of grub but no luck That was pretty stupid, I know. Now I'm stuck in grub rescue command prompt with no idea how to log back into Windows. Any suggestions for a complete beginner? I copied stuff from my external HD back to my computer after installing Windows and I need those files.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Suspicious Dish posted:

Somebody (I forget who, sorry!) asked for an effortpost on Wayland, so I went ahead and made one. It might be a bit too in depth, but hopefully it's enjoyable to read! I have some earlier effortposts if you want to read them as well, just go back a bit in the blog history.

This is pretty cool if a bit over my Head!

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Suspicious Dish posted:

5 star post

astral
Apr 26, 2004

astral fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 3, 2016

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

huhu posted:

So I hosed up pretty badly. I installed Windows 7, made a partition for Mint and followed a guide to install it. I started up my computer and Mint and Windows wouldn't start. I took out the HD, formatted the Linux partitions thinking I could get rid of grub but no luck That was pretty stupid, I know. Now I'm stuck in grub rescue command prompt with no idea how to log back into Windows. Any suggestions for a complete beginner? I copied stuff from my external HD back to my computer after installing Windows and I need those files.

If you still have your means of installing Mint just use the Live session to reinstall Grub or Mint.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

Great post!

1 little nitpick I noticed: why is it xdg-shell with a dash while xdg_surface and all the rest is with an underscore?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

spankmeister posted:

Great post!

1 little nitpick I noticed: why is it xdg-shell with a dash while xdg_surface and all the rest is with an underscore?

At a guess, xdg-shell is the name of the protocol, so it can be called anything, while xdg_surface is a C type and thus can't use hyphens in its name.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

At a guess, xdg-shell is the name of the protocol, so it can be called anything, while xdg_surface is a C type and thus can't use hyphens in its name.

Oh yeah that makes sense. :downs:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

It's actually both. It's "xdg_shell" in the code, but the file is called "xdg-shell.xml". Either is correct, but xdg-shell looks better than xdg_shell to my eyes, so I use xdg-shell. I don't really care which you use.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/tree/protocol/xdg-shell.xml#n2

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

fourwood posted:

Apparently it depends on HAL for the DRM. See this post for details. In short, add the ppa:mjblenner/ppa-hal repository and install the hal package. Although this still hasn't fixed it for me. I can now get a pop-up of the event window, but I'm told that "WatchESPN cannot be accessed outside the US." And I am very much in the US. So, I don't know, maybe it'll work for you.

e: vbcode is hard

This fixed it, thanks so much!

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

Software is a lot of engineering and math and statistics software. Matlab, Mathematica, ProE, Octave, etc etc. A lot of these clock in at 5-10GB a piece, which is why it's prohibitive to just install them all locally on the machine. I was thinking of just putting symlinks in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin to the binary and calling it a day.

I am trying to remember how this was handled at my university many years ago. I think it was a case of having each group getting an nfs share mounted under /usr/local/<group name> on each relevant machine. For instance Mathematica and Matlab would be installed under /usr/local/math with symlinks pointing there for files which really needed to be seen elsewhere. You of course then would need to ensure the computers were configured with the correct NFS mounts and licensing requirements.

Seemed to work fine from a users point of view, I don't know how many headaches it caused for the people taking care of the backend however.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Any idea why xfce4-terminal would be starting every time I log in on Debian? I checked Session and Startup in settings and couldn't find anything in there, and save session on log off is disabled.

EDIT: Turns out session caches are a thing, and hitting the "clear saved sessions" button in the session tab of session and startup did the trick.

I'm now working with a tricky OpenGL issue that I posted in the OpenGL thread if anyone knowledgable is able to help! Link

Jehde fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 17, 2014

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
BITCH!

Suspicious Dish posted:

How far are away are we from a usable/practical a gnome/wayland desktop?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Any idea what that transparent box in the middle of the screen is and how I can get rid of it? It just showed up today and hovers on top of any application.
click

I've looked in System Monitor but honestly I don't really know enough about Linux to say what should or shouldn't be in there.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

looks like a broken tooltip, I see those in windows occasionally too.

Usually need to just restart the session.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

RFC2324 posted:

looks like a broken tooltip, I see those in windows occasionally too.

Usually need to just restart the session.

That fixed it, thanks.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

peepsalot posted:

How far are away are we from a usable/practical a gnome/wayland desktop?

You can launch one today. Build a development copy of GNOME and try it out. Your help and testing will make it a success.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

evensevenone posted:

I'm trying to do something dumb with gnome. I have this DP>2xHDMI adapter for my laptop, which basically enumerates my two screens as a single 3840x1080 display. This causes issues such as windows maximizing across both screens. This is pretty annoying, but I've found that I can use CompizConfigSettingsManager and manually set the display geometry to 1920x1080+0+0 and 1920x1080+1920+0.

The only problem is that this means I have to turn off display autodetect and manually fix them when I want to go to just using my laptop screen or anything else.

What I would like to do is make some kind of script that detects display events, checks what displays are connected, and then modifies this field accordingly. There's really only three states--monitors attached and lid closed, monitors attached and lid open, and monitors detached and lid opened. Although, failing back to autodetect when it's not in one of those states would be awesome too. And getting it to work in lightdm would be really cool too, although probably less important.

The problem is I can't find where this setting is actually stored. It's adjustable in CompizConfigSettingsManager, but it's not anywhere in gconftool, gconftool2 or gconf-editor. grepping ~/* for "3840" or "1920" doesn't seem to show anything either.

I'd also like to know where I can put in hooks for the script. It's clear that when things change about the display configuration (i.e I open the lid or pull a cable) something gets run, so I'd like to just tweak this functionality.

And no, fakeXinerama doesn't work.

edit: this is ubuntu 14.04, using unity.

Anyone have any ideas for this? I feel like it's doable if I could just find where the pieces live.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I tried looking for you in the Compiz source and got stuck in a maze of twisty plugins, all alike. Sorry.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I'm working on a new architecture for an environment and one thing I'm focusing on is security. We have an web application that can allow you to access the local filesystem, the first thing I'm doing is making sure it has a service account for it to run under. The other thing I'd like to do is set it up to run in a jail.

The web application runs on tomcat and it installs as a completely standalone product so java/tomcat/libraries are all bundled together and can run that way, the only dependency is R. I've done a little reading on setting up a jail and one thing that's really stressed is copying libraries into the jail, do I need to also move R into the jail? Does anyone have experience setting this up?

I've looked at this Oreilly guide and it doesn't look like it will be too tricky, I just need to automate the process. I'd be running three instances of this web application on a server.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jun 18, 2014

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
I need some Apache help, it's not going well. I'm trying to unfuck my Apache setup, I was doing DNS redirects to a couple test wordpress installs. I've set them up as Apache Vhost files and they don't work. The first one, eleganttailoring, works on IE (well, it pulls index.php which isn't working, but I'll deal with that later), but in Chrome it just pulls /var/www/index.html. The second one grabs index.html no matter what the browser. I've a2ensite them both, no errors. What the hell am I doing wrong?

Apache2.conf
Vhosts

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I found that running 'httpd -S' can sometimes reveal how things are ordered or domains are being loaded. It might not help, but worth a try.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Pudgygiant posted:

I need some Apache help, it's not going well. I'm trying to unfuck my Apache setup, I was doing DNS redirects to a couple test wordpress installs. I've set them up as Apache Vhost files and they don't work. The first one, eleganttailoring, works on IE (well, it pulls index.php which isn't working, but I'll deal with that later), but in Chrome it just pulls /var/www/index.html. The second one grabs index.html no matter what the browser. I've a2ensite them both, no errors. What the hell am I doing wrong?

Apache2.conf
Vhosts

Do you have the namevirtualhost directive anywhere ? I can't see it in your files ?

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Yeah, it's in conf.d/virtual.conf, sorry. NameVirtualHost *:80 is the full contents of that file. Right now the only enabled vhost is optionsrealty. Somehow it's loading /var/www/index.html even when I directly type index.php into the browser. Might be some hosed up caching issue, this should work.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Pudgygiant posted:

even when I directly type index.php into the browser. Might be some hosed up caching issue.

Always test this kind of thing with wget/curl/netcat.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Pudgygiant posted:

Yeah, it's in conf.d/virtual.conf, sorry. NameVirtualHost *:80 is the full contents of that file. Right now the only enabled vhost is optionsrealty. Somehow it's loading /var/www/index.html even when I directly type index.php into the browser. Might be some hosed up caching issue, this should work.

Seems to work for me, I'm getting an unstyled wordpress site

quote:

Options Realty

Search
Primary Menu

Skip to content
Sample Page
Search for:
Hello world!

February 25, 2014 admin 1 Comment
Welcome to WordPress. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start blogging!

Have you checked the wordpress mod-rewrite rules are correct ? If you generated the .htaccess file then changed the vhost config at all, the rewrite base could be wrong or something similar.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

It totally is a caching thing, must be this lovely Afghanistan internet doing local caching. Thanks for all the help though

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I had a bash script today w/ a variable containing "-E".

I wanted to echo this variable using the echo command.

I couldn't do it without using some other tool because no matter what I did echo ate the -E as an argument.

Is echo broken?

code:
a="-E"

echo "$a"

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Wow that's pretty strange!

code:
fletch@fletch-linuxmint16 ~ $ echo '-A'
-A
fletch@fletch-linuxmint16 ~ $ echo '-B'
-B
fletch@fletch-linuxmint16 ~ $ echo '-C'
-C
fletch@fletch-linuxmint16 ~ $ echo '-D'
-D
fletch@fletch-linuxmint16 ~ $ echo '-E'

fletch@fletch-linuxmint16 ~ $ echo '-F'
-F
fletch@fletch-linuxmint16 ~ $ echo -e '-\u0045'
-E

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
If the variable contains nothing but "-E" then yeah, you're literally passing -E as an argument to echo.

Here's a lazy fix: add a space in the variable, or in the quotes when you're calling echo. ie:
code:
a="-E "
echo "$a"
or
code:
a="-E"
echo "$a "

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dren posted:

I couldn't do it without using some other tool because no matter what I did echo ate the -E as an argument.

Is echo broken?

code:
a="-E"

echo "$a"

echo -e "\x2DE"

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

fletcher posted:

Wow that's pretty strange!

code:
fletch@fletch-linuxmint16 ~ $ echo '-A'
-A
fletch@fletch-linuxmint16 ~ $ echo '-B'
-B
fletch@fletch-linuxmint16 ~ $ echo '-C'
-C
fletch@fletch-linuxmint16 ~ $ echo '-D'
-D
fletch@fletch-linuxmint16 ~ $ echo '-E'

fletch@fletch-linuxmint16 ~ $ echo '-F'
-F
fletch@fletch-linuxmint16 ~ $ echo -e '-\u0045'
-E

Everything but -E works here because nothing but -E is a valid argument to echo. -E is a valid argument, so you have to do stupid things with unicode (like you did) or hexcode (like I did)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Dren posted:

Is echo broken?

code:
a="-E"

echo "$a"

http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?echo

It'll do the same for strings with "-n" and "-e" because they are command flags for echo.

edit: well beaten :smith: