Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
I checked for refurbs this morning but they were still sold out. As of 30 minutes ago (1130 eastern) it was back in stock!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

thehacker0 posted:

I'm thinking of trading in my old ps3 and 3DS which i never play at gamestop and picking up a wii u for another ~150. I have a PS4, but I rarely play it since there are so few good games. Interested in the wii u for the casual and fun games like mario/kart/party, smash bros etc and the cable integration (can you watch tv shows on the remote itself? say at my computer desk?).

Theres a truly incredible amount of well reviewed games that look amazing - which would be the 2-3 that you guys would suggest? The new mario kart will probably have to be one of them, and 3d mario world looks great. Wind waker HD worth picking up?

Trying to avoid buying a million games since so many look great, might just resub to gamefly. From the OP it seems that the basic version is better value for money, is that the consensus?

Sell your 3DS and PS3 in SA-Mart, you'll probably get a better price online than you would via trade-in. Then buy the refurb for $200 if it's still available.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

thehacker0 posted:

I'm thinking of trading in my old ps3 and 3DS which i never play at gamestop and picking up a wii u for another ~150. I have a PS4, but I rarely play it since there are so few good games. Interested in the wii u for the casual and fun games like mario/kart/party, smash bros etc and the cable integration (can you watch tv shows on the remote itself? say at my computer desk?).

Theres a truly incredible amount of well reviewed games that look amazing - which would be the 2-3 that you guys would suggest? The new mario kart will probably have to be one of them, and 3d mario world looks great. Wind waker HD worth picking up?

Trying to avoid buying a million games since so many look great, might just resub to gamefly. From the OP it seems that the basic version is better value for money, is that the consensus?

Skip Gamestop and sell on the SA Mart using Square Cash to get money in your card instantly and in full.

You can't watch TV, but you can control it. You can watch Netflix and Hulu (and use Plex if you wanna) on the gamepad though.

Your three are good. Those are the games im currently playing. There are leagues of others, but they're not hidden. Anyone game you think will be good probably is when it comes to the Wii U.

Basic is pretty much dead. I haven't seen a standalone Wii U in forever and 3 out of 4 bundles available are deluxe (black). Spring for a refurb on Nintendo's site for $200 and get a free Nintendoland.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

thehacker0 posted:

I'd hold onto your 3DS, unless you are interested in literally NONE of the games currently out or coming out for it. It has a lot of really great stuff and I think it makes a nice companion to the Wii U. But hey, it's your money/game system.

For three must-have games, definitely Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario 3D World. For the third depends on what you like. If you just love your platformers, get Rayman Legends or DK Tropical Freeze. If you like Zelda games, get Wind Waker HD. It's great. Other suggestions: Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, and Lego City Undercover. The latter is sort of like Grand Theft Auto, but with Lego people. It's campy as hell and has a lot of jokes from things I remember from my childhood.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Silver Falcon posted:

Lego City Undercover. The latter is sort of like Grand Theft Auto, but with Lego people. It's campy as hell and has a lot of jokes from things I remember from my childhood.

Whelp. I literally had no interest in Lego City Undercover until I saw this description, and now I clearly need to look into buying it.

I'm starting to wonder if I can just set up direct deposit to Nintendo, because my bank is really just serving as an unnecessary middle man anymore.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Bear in mind that you get a free game with Mario Kart 8.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

Disargeria posted:

I checked for refurbs this morning but they were still sold out. As of 30 minutes ago (1130 eastern) it was back in stock!

Confirmed. Just ordered mine. First Nintendo console I've owned since NES!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Niemat posted:

Whelp. I literally had no interest in Lego City Undercover until I saw this description, and now I clearly need to look into buying it.

I'm starting to wonder if I can just set up direct deposit to Nintendo, because my bank is really just serving as an unnecessary middle man anymore.

Oh yeah. The game looks like it'd be really stupid, and uh... ok it is, but it's stupid in the best way possible. It's also really fun and it has poo poo tons of content.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh yeah. The game looks like it'd be really stupid, and uh... ok it is, but it's stupid in the best way possible. It's also really fun and it has poo poo tons of content.

Seriously. I think if you beat just the story you end up with about 20% of the game unlocked

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

thehacker0 posted:

I'm thinking of trading in my old ps3 and 3DS which i never play at gamestop and picking up a wii u for another ~150.

How old is your PS3? You should check if it has either hardware or software PS2 support. I hear those are worth extra, since Sony cut that out years ago. I don't know just how much extra it would fetch now that the system is 7 or 8 years old, though.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Silver Falcon posted:

I've always heard the Lego games are clever and really well done, but I've just never sat down and played one (despite owning Lego Batman for a few years now...). I always just assumed they were clever if you were into the subject (which is why I purchased the Batman one specifically), but it's good to know they're just all around well made games!

I'll just beat Tropical Freeze first... And then I can have another new game... Which is a very similar thing I said to myself before purchasing Tropical Freeze about NSMBU/NSLU... :doh:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
For the person asking about must have Wii games to stock up on, no one mentioned Mario Kart Wii.

It doesn't look as nice as MK8, but it holds up extremely well.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Waltzing Along posted:

For the person asking about must have Wii games to stock up on, no one mentioned Mario Kart Wii.

It doesn't look as nice as MK8, but it holds up extremely well.

That's just like, your opinion, man. Really though if you're going to get Mario Kart 8 why would you want a non-HD version that doesn't support the Gamepad?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Misandu posted:

That's just like, your opinion, man. Really though if you're going to get Mario Kart 8 why would you want a non-HD version that doesn't support the Gamepad?

Maybe you want to play a game with terrible item balance? But other than that there are different stages and such in Wii.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Maybe you want to play a game with terrible item balance? But other than that there are different stages and such in Wii.

Eh, the Wii version's item balance isn't that bad.

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007
If you live in Canada go get a Wii U now. Target is selling them for 150, and controllers and a poo poo ton of games are also half price.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

irlZaphod posted:

Bear in mind that you get a free game with Mario Kart 8.

I just got my WiiU today (black version with Mario Kart 8). Which free game is the best free game to get?

edit: the Deluxe version in the OP mentions that it also comes with Nintendo Land, is that the same with the Mario Kart 8 Bundles? I don't see any mention of it on the box.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Eh, the Wii version's item balance isn't that bad.

The frantic mode on MK8 feels more balanced than the Wii's default.

There is no reason to get MKWii or any other MK or racer ever when MK8 exists and trumps them all soundly.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Kin posted:

I just got my WiiU today (black version with Mario Kart 8). Which free game is the best free game to get?

edit: the Deluxe version in the OP mentions that it also comes with Nintendo Land, is that the same with the Mario Kart 8 Bundles? I don't see any mention of it on the box.

Depends on what you like, but I recommend Pikmin 3.

Nah, that's just the original bundle. Every other bundle that's come since includes a different game than Nintendoland, in this case it's MK8. You can get Nintendoland for around 30 bucks.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
So, stupid question: My girlfriend opened the Mariokart/wiiu bundle (i'm away on business) and she can't find wherever the code for a free game download is supposed to be? anyone got an idea?

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

The refurbished wii u from the nintendo store is an incredible deal, but they are on backorder according to the site. Estimated time of restocking/shipping is next Monday. Worth the wait considering the deal I think.

enojy posted:

How old is your PS3? You should check if it has either hardware or software PS2 support. I hear those are worth extra, since Sony cut that out years ago. I don't know just how much extra it would fetch now that the system is 7 or 8 years old, though.

I'll look into that, although it's not that old. Its a slim model, but not the newest version I don't think.

I'm planning to go with mario kart 8 and 3d mario world to start. I could spend hundreds on games incredibly easily - I think it warrants a resub to gamefly. There are just too many promising wii u games to buy them all

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Kin posted:

All the free games are good. It depends on what you like. NSMBU is a side scrolling Mario platformer with the added benefit of co-op multiplayer. With more than 2 people it becomes "who can dick everyone else over the fastest?" scream-fest that will ruin friendships. It also has the hard mode DLC in the form of Super Luigi U, and is all-around well designed, colorful, and fun.

Wind Waker is the game to get if you like Zeldas, or adventure games in general. Even if you played it on the Gamecube, it's worth picking up just for the improvements to the sailing and the Triforce quests. Plus it looks gorgeous.

Pikmin 3 is always a solid choice. I haven't played it yet myself but I've played a bit of the first two games. If you liked either of those, or even if you didn't, it's definitely worth considering. Pikmin is fun and cute.

Wii Party U is uh... basically Mario Party without Mario. Look into it if you have a bunch of people to play with, I guess. But even then I'd probably take Mario over it.

Nuclear War posted:

So, stupid question: My girlfriend opened the Mariokart/wiiu bundle (i'm away on business) and she can't find wherever the code for a free game download is supposed to be? anyone got an idea?

The download code isn't in the box. You register the game/system on Club Nintendo and it'll prompt you to pick a free game. Then it e-mails you the code.

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.

manpurse posted:

If you live in Canada go get a Wii U now. Target is selling them for 150, and controllers and a poo poo ton of games are also half price.

How long is this deal on for, and is it one of the deluxes or a bundle? I've been looking into picking on up and if I can, I'll probably grab this one.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nuclear War posted:

When you register your Console and sign up with a NintendoLand ID it automatically detects the combo and adds your points. I just did it last week.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Nuclear War posted:

You don't get a club nintendo voucher. Your free game is tied to your console. Register that on club nintendo and you'll be allowed to pick your free game there. Nintendo doesn't let you "double dip" on coins from bundled games for some reason.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

ChaosArgate posted:

You don't get a club nintendo voucher. Your free game is tied to your console. Register that on club nintendo and you'll be allowed to pick your free game there. Nintendo doesn't let you "double dip" on coins from bundled games for some reason.

You do get to do a survey for that game though for additional coins so stop back into Club Nintendo every once and a while to check it out.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

manpurse posted:

drat. I wonder if there's some way to get their American counterpart to price match.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Carrasco posted:

drat. I wonder if there's some way to get their American counterpart to price match.

Print the Canadian listing and take it to Best Buy or something. Maybe you'll get a cashier that doesn't give a poo poo.

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007

JetGrind posted:

How long is this deal on for, and is it one of the deluxes or a bundle? I've been looking into picking on up and if I can, I'll probably grab this one.

I went to Wal-Mart and got a price match, and I got the Mario brothers deluxe bundle. I don't think they really give a poo poo which bundle they sell, they're retail workers.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Depends on what you like, but I recommend Pikmin 3.

Nah, that's just the original bundle. Every other bundle that's come since includes a different game than Nintendoland, in this case it's MK8. You can get Nintendoland for around 30 bucks.

Ah, gotcha.

I'm kinda torn though. Super Mario Bros U will probably be as good as the other 2D supermario games, Pikmin 3 looks awesome (i never really got into the first Pikmin though), The Wonderful 101 looks all kinds of badass but the gameranking reviews gave it only about 78% and Monster Hunter 3 is MH3. I kinda got put off MH on the PSP due to the controls and how hard as balls it is, but the apparent sheer volume of content and flashy giant monsters (and hopefully better controls) make it tempting too.

Of all the games Pikmin 3 has the highest gameranking score, so i might go with that!

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Maybe it's just me but I tried the MH3 demo yesterdays and it was clunky as gently caress. The controls don't make any sense to me. I kept on putting away my weapon and drinking a potion since instinctively I press Y when I want to attack.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Kin posted:

Ah, gotcha.

I'm kinda torn though. Super Mario Bros U will probably be as good as the other 2D supermario games, Pikmin 3 looks awesome (i never really got into the first Pikmin though), The Wonderful 101 looks all kinds of badass but the gameranking reviews gave it only about 78% and Monster Hunter 3 is MH3. I kinda got put off MH on the PSP due to the controls and how hard as balls it is, but the apparent sheer volume of content and flashy giant monsters (and hopefully better controls) make it tempting too.

Of all the games Pikmin 3 has the highest gameranking score, so i might go with that!

Ahh you're in Europe. In that case you should probably still get either NSMBU, Pikmin 3, or Wind Waker as those are going to be the most expensive games for awhile. They're all good and while Wonderful 101 is my favorite WiiU game and even my game of all last year (which is insane in a year that had both Revengeance and Mario 3D World in it) it is usually on sale for 20-30 bucks and you can pick it up cheap. Same with Monster Hunter which has a ton of content but you can find that for cheaper than either of the 3 top nintendo games they're offering.

Commissar Ken fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 17, 2014

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

m.hache posted:

Maybe it's just me but I tried the MH3 demo yesterdays and it was clunky as gently caress. The controls don't make any sense to me. I kept on putting away my weapon and drinking a potion since instinctively I press Y when I want to attack.

The Monster Hunter demo isn't terribly good. It drops you right into a quest against a monster with a short timer and no sense of how to use your weapon unless you check the manual. The actual game eases you into the different weapon types much more smoothly and lets you practice against weak wildlife. That said, the game is pretty much about fighting increasingly larger and nastier monsters to get crafting materials to make better armor and weapons to kill more monsters.

It's not for everyone. :v:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I was looking at purchasing a Wii U MK8 bundle, seems like they're hard as heck to come by. Every single Best Buy in my state doesn't have it. Neither does Gamestop. Amazon is price gouging them, so is Newegg. Target doesn't have it either. Any other options? That bundle seems like the best value which is probably why it's so drat hard to find.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

seiferguy posted:

I was looking at purchasing a Wii U MK8 bundle, seems like they're hard as heck to come by. Every single Best Buy in my state doesn't have it. Neither does Gamestop. Amazon is price gouging them, so is Newegg. Target doesn't have it either. Any other options? That bundle seems like the best value which is probably why it's so drat hard to find.

Did you ask Best Buy/Gamestop if they're going to be restocking them at some point? When I got mine (the day MK came out) they were almost sold out already so I would think the second round would be coming pretty soon.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

PantsBandit posted:

Did you ask Best Buy/Gamestop if they're going to be restocking them at some point? When I got mine (the day MK came out) they were almost sold out already so I would think the second round would be coming pretty soon.

Not yet. I've just been looking at online store stock. I haven't had a chance yet to go into a store. My preference is Best Buy since I get gift cards for them through work, but so far nothing yet.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

manpurse posted:

This was apparently going on about 10 days ago.
I just called my Target and they said it was an error that got fixed within 2 days (...) and when I asked him how much it was scanning up at he said it was 299.99.

Haven't physically gone to check and try and ring it through though.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Ok, i'm gonna go for Pikmin 3 then.

I'm setting up the Wii U now and i'm at the point where it's asking to either put in the details for an existing account or create a new one.

I've put in the details for the one i created for my 3DS (tried both the friend code xxxx-xxxx-xxxx and the name in the network id setting screen "Remkinn"), but neither seem to do anything.

It lets me put the details in asks if they're ok and then looks like it checks something. Then it pops up with "an update must be applied to the system" message before taking me back to "add existing or add new user" screen.

What am i doing wrong?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Kin posted:

Ok, i'm gonna go for Pikmin 3 then.

I'm setting up the Wii U now and i'm at the point where it's asking to either put in the details for an existing account or create a new one.

I've put in the details for the one i created for my 3DS (tried both the friend code xxxx-xxxx-xxxx and the name in the network id setting screen "Remkinn"), but neither seem to do anything.

It lets me put the details in asks if they're ok and then looks like it checks something. Then it pops up with "an update must be applied to the system" message before taking me back to "add existing or add new user" screen.

What am i doing wrong?

What firmware version is your console running? You'll probably have to go into Settings and update it from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Mercury Crusader posted:

What firmware version is your console running? You'll probably have to go into Settings and update it from there.

Just switched it on, so whatever the stock is

If i just add a new user to get access to the system and let it update, i'll then be able to add my Nintendo ID and delete the temporary one i created to access the system?

• Locked thread