Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I pay cash too, for four accounts. I'm not enough of a spacejew to effortlessly make 3bn isk each month and I'd rather spend an hour doing real work than several evenings shooting red pluses to pay for my internet spaceships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wootonius
Feb 27, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

I pay cash too, for four accounts. I'm not enough of a spacejew to effortlessly make 3bn isk each month and I'd rather spend an hour doing real work than several evenings shooting red pluses to pay for my internet spaceships.

Wormholes can help reduce that time by a huge margin.

vulvamancer
Oct 2, 2006

Yes! It all makes sense! We may be freaks, but we're freaks with teeth, and claws, and magic wands! And together, we can stand up to Farquaad!

ChickenWing posted:

I pay cash for my accounts, period. I can't be arsed to rat up a plex and I'm not spacerich or market savvy enough to make money from my existing money - but I'll be goddamned if I'm going to stop training skills.

(3/4 the way to min/cal/gal subsystem 5's :toot:)

I pay for my account even though I sometimes get plex from the alliance. Work pays for my accounts and papa has to pay for comedy faction fit machariel lossmails somehow.

Cloudy McPouty
Jun 12, 2013

I've been sadly playing SWTOR, but just for the galactic starfighter, which I enjoy. I also picked up Titanfall finally because of the Origin sale. It keeps me mostly not as bored.

Now if my supercarrier sitters would just sell, I could start playing again. Pubbies are slowly buying them up, but at a slower rate than expected.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Bedshaped posted:

Do you guys switch to paying cash for your accounts when you burn out? I'm getting really bored and I think I might be there soon.

I bought a Baltec for the :siren:BIG OP IN DELVE:siren:, logged off half-way through when I realized it was going to be "orbit a pos for an hour" and now my character is sitting in Delve and I'm too :effort: to bring them back and rat.

If making space-money is something you need to put effort into, it will burn you out pretty quick. I honestly think a lot of Eve's new-player retention issues come from people hearing you can play for free, and then burning out on what a soul-destroying grind that is for a newer player. If 10-bux a month (or whatever your local flavour is) is an amount of money you will notice leaving your account monthly, then you should probably avoid an MMO altogether and work on a real career.

IsaoHung
Jun 9, 2013

Everything they said is true

Artificer posted:

I don't hear many MMO players in other games calling their characters "toons," at all.

You must not have actually interacted with anyone in those "other" mmos then.
Either way it doesn't matter, I won't offend your delicate sensibilities with the "T" word again.

IsaoHung
Jun 9, 2013

Duzzy Funlop posted:

You got more advice than you had any right to be given and I had such high hopes for you.

Alas, t'was for naught.

Oh papa snuggies don't be so melodramatic. They are growing pains.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

IsaoHung posted:

You must not have actually interacted with anyone in those "other" mmos then.
Either way it doesn't matter, I won't offend your delicate sensibilities with the "T" word again.

Yes, people say toon unironically in other MMOS.

No, that doesn't give you the perogative to be all uppity because goon culture disdains such pubbie shenanigans.

Stop being a pubbie.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ChickenWing posted:

No, that doesn't give you the perogative to be all uppity because goon culture disdains such pubbie shenanigans.

Stop being a pubbie.

It's probably not going to happen at this rate.

IsaoHung
Jun 9, 2013

ChickenWing posted:

Stop being a pubbie.

You're right. I'll straighten out. It was a slip up that won't happen again. Now lets all peacefully return to trying to reach to the 100k ship spins. I'm at 137.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I too wish to play social videogames with people that I do not understand.

IsaoHung
Jun 9, 2013

Glory of Arioch posted:

I too wish to play social videogames with people that I do not understand.

That's why there is a forum requirement to be met so that people like me (new to SA, don't let the account age fool you) can get to understand the people. I chose the wrong battle and lost, nothing more.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

IsaoHung posted:

That's why there is a forum requirement to be met so that people like me (new to SA, don't let the account age fool you) can get to understand the people. I chose the wrong battle and lost, nothing more.

You are kind of insufferable. What is your favorite subreddit?

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Everyone who has joined SA over the years has probably taken some time to learn the culture, but why highlight it like this? You said a pubbie word, just move on from it and enjoy the forums. Don't get all defensive about it

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

IsaoHung posted:

Oh no you're not getting out of it that easy.

Come one everyone, dump on the pubbie. We've still got a good chunk of the page to go :v:

Txxt
Dec 11, 2004

IsaoHung posted:

Believe it or not nobody but the most shobon '14s would think you aren't new to SA.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
So, back to spaceships, how do I assertively combat bad comms discipline without sounding like a total dickhead? I want people to listen to me when I give orders but I don't want to be that guy, but I want to shut this stuff down quickly before we do some serious elite pvp in the next couple of weeks.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
In honor of the new YA0 station name, usage violators of the word "toon" (and/or "t00n" and/or "toonie," etc) should all be hellcamped as punishment into the YA0 station and in Simpsonian-fashion be forced to write:

"I shall not use the word toon amongst goons."

...at least 100 times in local chat.

:getin:

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

vyst posted:

I picked up FFXIV again and I'm dinkin around in it.

I've been playing FFXIV Catgirls Online while waiting for another war to break out and it's great. Peace time in New Eden is too boring for my liking.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Hey, I resemble that remark :frogdowns:

IsaoHung
Jun 9, 2013

smg77 posted:

Guess the jig is up. It's feminine hygiene.

boodah
Dec 22, 2004
boodah the hutt
After I got in corp last night I threw together a ship I didn't care about and set out to get my hands bloody (which is something I don't think I've ever done before). My first clue that something was off was neutrals docked at the station; I chose to try to engage and kill a neutral before reporting it which is when I was notified that said character was actually blue and that I need to log off and back on to reset standings.

It's a good thing I'm terrible at this or there could have been an incident.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

So, back to spaceships, how do I assertively combat bad comms discipline without sounding like a total dickhead? I want people to listen to me when I give orders but I don't want to be that guy, but I want to shut this stuff down quickly before we do some serious elite pvp in the next couple of weeks.

Be a dickhead. Tell people you want clear comms. If you're going to allow a bit of chatter, have some 'important information incoming' word that people know means they need to shut the gently caress up (Topgoon uses "check"). Worse comes to worst, find out who the main troublemakers are and get an admin to mute them.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Siets posted:

In honor of the new YA0 station name, usage violators of the word "toon" (and/or "t00n" and/or "toonie," etc) should all be hellcamped as punishment into the YA0 station and in Simpsonian-fashion be forced to write:

"I shall not use the word toon amongst goons."

...at least 100 times in local chat.

:getin:

And then have them write it another 10000 times - 100 times for each time they just wrote "toon" in local :unsmigghh:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

ChickenWing posted:

Be a dickhead. Tell people you want clear comms. If you're going to allow a bit of chatter, have some 'important information incoming' word that people know means they need to shut the gently caress up (Topgoon uses "check"). Worse comes to worst, find out who the main troublemakers are and get an admin to mute them.

This is good advice. Smart people won't need to be told to shut up when the FC starts talking (especially when that FC is Suas) and even regular idiots can generally clam up when they here "CHECK, CHECK" or whatever your phrase is.

If someone is being a dumb and making GBS threads up comms to the point where it's interfering with fleet operation, though, don't be afraid to yell at them and call them idiots or just kick them out of the fleet if they don't stop.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Screaming "Shut the gently caress up, you fat nerd" is always a crowdpleaser.

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!

boodah posted:

After I got in corp last night I threw together a ship I didn't care about and set out to get my hands bloody (which is something I don't think I've ever done before). My first clue that something was off was neutrals docked at the station; I chose to try to engage and kill a neutral before reporting it which is when I was notified that said character was actually blue and that I need to log off and back on to reset standings.

It's a good thing I'm terrible at this or there could have been an incident.

First you kill them, then you report it. It's easier to defend yourself if there are no witnesses left to testify against you. Oh, and don't shoot them in the back because that means they were running away and then it's second degree murder.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

HappyKitty posted:

And then have them write it another 10000 times - 100 times for each time they just wrote "toon" in local :unsmigghh:

Which would be the the penalty for writing o7m8? 56 * number of times?

elanciano
Apr 2, 2013

I'm sure it's only a glitch. A temporary setback.

smg77 posted:

Beat me to the question.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Screaming "Shut the gently caress up, you fat nerd" is always a crowdpleaser.

This has been an issue for me lately. I'm trying to scout and relay what I'm seeing to fleet and these loving FA neck beards are discussing bullshit and making really cringe worthy jokes. Such a headache.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

elanciano posted:

Beat me to the question.

This has been an issue for me lately. I'm trying to scout and relay what I'm seeing to fleet and these loving FA neck beards are discussing bullshit and making really cringe worthy jokes. Such a headache.

Could always just call them "loving FA neck beards."

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Hey guys check out the Goon Meets forum. Someone is seeking advice on how to join the elite spaceship guild GoonWaffe.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3643187

I really think someone should sponsor him.

elanciano
Apr 2, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Could always just call them "loving FA neck beards."

As enticing as that idea sounds to me, I prefer to not do things that make me look bigger than the FC, or that I'm trying to be bigger than FC. It's their responsibility to keep comms clear of bullshit anyway.

boodah
Dec 22, 2004
boodah the hutt

Fix Lag posted:

First you kill them, then you report it. It's easier to defend yourself if there are no witnesses left to testify against you. Oh, and don't shoot them in the back because that means they were running away and then it's second degree murder.

This is exactly what I tried (and failed) to do. Almost shot another friendly with a bounty due to overview settings a few minutes ago as well. So very not good at this space combat thing.

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

Voyager I posted:

This is good advice. Smart people won't need to be told to shut up when the FC starts talking (especially when that FC is Suas) and even regular idiots can generally clam up when they here "CHECK, CHECK" or whatever your phrase is.

If someone is being a dumb and making GBS threads up comms to the point where it's interfering with fleet operation, though, don't be afraid to yell at them and call them idiots or just kick them out of the fleet if they don't stop.

I loving love it when an FC locks that poo poo down, preferably in an aggressively over the top manner. Most fleets probably contain a silent majority who wish these fuckers would shut the hell up with their lovely memes and whining about how theres always one guy who wasnt aligned in time for the fleet warp.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That's why I usually sit on no chatter.

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!

boodah posted:

Almost shot another friendly with a bounty due to overview settings a few minutes ago as well. So very not good at this space combat thing.

I don't know why CCP even has the bounty option as a thing for the overview settings. I have never once considered shooting someone specifically on the merits of getting a bounty payout in all my years of playing this game, nor have I heard of any of these magical unicorn-cousins, the "bounty hunters" that keep getting mentioned in CCP materials. They should probably take it out at some point.

Oh, by the way, the fact that you can find people on the overview and are actually shooting at them is A Good Thing. Keep doing it.

Griz
May 21, 2001

elanciano posted:

As enticing as that idea sounds to me, I prefer to not do things that make me look bigger than the FC, or that I'm trying to be bigger than FC. It's their responsibility to keep comms clear of bullshit anyway.

If your FC gets pissy over a scout saying "hey guys shut up for a minute, we're talking on command" they're probably not a very good FC.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

elanciano posted:

If you have important information and the FC is not currently giving out more important information then you should be the one talking. It's a judgement call, but you'll eventually learn what's important and what's not. If the FC doesn't let you interrupt his bullshit for important information he's a bad FC and you should find a different one.

Also if any FC gets mad that you "look bigger", he's powertripping and you should leave his fleet.

elanciano
Apr 2, 2013

Griz posted:

If your FC gets pissy over a scout saying "hey guys shut up for a minute, we're talking on command" they're probably not a very good FC.

Which is why more and more I've been gathering small fleets to harass npc residents rather than go on the ambling roams, short on intel and long on horse poo poo. If I wanted to go 15 jumps with an rear end in a top hat for company I'd just go on a solo roam.

Edit: I should clarify I don't think even most FA FC's are poo poo, I'm just a bit starved for competent ones in my play time I think.

elanciano fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
So after trying (and failing) to find ~honourable 1v1s~ in Lowsec I realized that my main guy still has Recons V, and that my Exploration alt is turning out to be a pretty impressive combat character. So in 20 days I will have a very capable Falcon pilot, but what other Recons are useful in a "solo" or microgang environment?

• Locked thread