Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

So ran across this : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1343942869/steaklocker-the-first-in-home-dry-age-steak-fridge

I'm not sure what to think. On the one hand the only alternatives I know of are DryBags, wine fridges, and hacking together an old fridge for meat aging/drying. It would be nice to have a fridge purpose built for meat aging.

But on the other hand, it's expensive ($555 early bird) and there are the much cheaper alternatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

.Z. posted:

So ran across this : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1343942869/steaklocker-the-first-in-home-dry-age-steak-fridge

I'm not sure what to think. On the one hand the only alternatives I know of are DryBags, wine fridges, and hacking together an old fridge for meat aging/drying. It would be nice to have a fridge purpose built for meat aging.

But on the other hand, it's expensive ($555 early bird) and there are the much cheaper alternatives.

That's expensive as poo poo and extremely niche. Even if I had the scratch for it, I'd probably pass.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I posted this in the product thread as well:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-dry-aging-beef-at-home.html

Anyone tried aging steaks at home with a minifridge with this method?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

That's expensive as poo poo and extremely niche. Even if I had the scratch for it, I'd probably pass.

Seems like it should be marketed for general charcuterie instead of something as specific as steak aging.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

.Z. posted:

Couldn't this have been cheaper if they realized it doesn't really need an app interface and wifi? this seems like a set it and forget it kind of thing

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

BraveUlysses posted:

Couldn't this have been cheaper if they realized it doesn't really need an app interface and wifi? this seems like a set it and forget it kind of thing

Yeah. I went for it (I eat enough steak it'll probably pay for itself within a year... Yes, I could ghetto-rig a decent solution for a quarter that price but presumably this should be much more reliable) but I'd certainly have been happier if they scrapped the useless connectivity poo poo and lowered the price instead.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Seems like it should be marketed for general charcuterie instead of something as specific as steak aging.
Speaking of which, anyone got any recommendations for a small charcuterie fridge? Apart from the standard recommendation to use a larger fridge.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

SubG posted:

Speaking of which, anyone got any recommendations for a small charcuterie fridge? Apart from the standard recommendation to use a larger fridge.

Besides the SteakFridge above? :p

Some people have had success using wine fridges: http://seattlefoodgeek.com/2011/05/diy-prosciutto-in-a-wine-refrigerator/

You may also have better luck pinging the charcuterie thread on this one.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Just get a

SubG posted:

Just get a decent wine fridge. Set it to 50F, age meat. Mine has a fan that runs constantly, so I also use it as a cold smoker with the PolySci smoke gun. Drilled a 1/2in hole in the side of it, ran the rubber tube in and clamped it off. It stays at 52-54F, and can hold smoke in for 30-45min before it settles.

Fun fact, you can put a pan of ice in there, the smoke will adhere to the ice, then when it melts you have a very mild tasting liquid smoke.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Choadmaster posted:

I don't really miss being able to seal bags full of liquid - I only do it rarely anyway, and when I do need to I can use the ziplock method as mindphlux described.

And, of course, if there's a lot of liquid then the Archimedes method world really well, because there aren't air gaps... Duh.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Just get a decent wine fridge.
Who makes a decent wine fridge?

That's the main reason I asked in here instead of the charcuterie thread; I know what kind of thing I'm likely to get, but it looks like small fridges are one of those things where every model has some `best fridge evar' and some `it killed my pet and asked my girlfriend out' reviews. And I haven't owned one this century so I don't have any personal brand prejudices.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

.Z. posted:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

.Z. posted:

LIFESTYLES ARE BECOMING INCREASINGLY FASTER :D

that said, I bought a $100 cheapo wine fridge for my gal, pretty much just for storing cheese / charcuterie projects. I tried over and over with different methods to try and regulate the humidity in that motherfucker, and nothing worked. It eventually died and I didn't bother replacing it.

I think the dry-aging steak premise is dumb, but if this actually has a hygrometer and some sort of regulating mechanism - it's at least a niche that's hitting its mark with me. Still, I would maybe only pay 1/5th their asking price.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
If I had the money or space for this, I would just buy dry aged steaks :psyduck: (and then this)

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Now that I've had a chance to look a lot closer at it, a few things that stood out to me.

-They're pricing it for retail at $1000 :aaa:
-LOL at those non-SteakFridge tiers rewards. Especially the cutting board, their description in the sidebar and the image they include is literally this Ikea cutting board: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30087148/
-Surprised that they didn't make a nicer video, specially given the founder's marketing background. The again, the business proposal feel of it also fits her background.
-Also surprised, not one person involved thought to also push the charcuterie angle. The thing should function in that regard as well.

MissAnthropic
Jul 28, 2002
Wasn't sure if this is better for the bread thread or here, but! Last year (in February or so) we bought a Kitchenaid 5 Plus from Canadian Tire. While we were excited at the time about attachments, this turned out to be primarily a dough kneader. We make one or two batches a week, usually 5-6 cups, of whole wheat, semolina, or whatever else yeast dough we like.

Couple weeks ago the motor dies, Kitchenaid pretty much said to buy another one, and we're pretty disappointed given the money we turned out for it. Turns out we're not alone regarding problems with these machines, so we're in the market for another option.

Can someone recommend/confirm a good mixer specifically for bread dough? It will primarily be kneading probably 8-10 cup batches (if it can handle it) of various yeast doughs. I'm ready to plunk down 400-600 on this, I just want not to have to replace the bloody thing in a year. A cursory google suggested the Bosch Universal (I'd be looking at the MUM6 Plus.)

VVV Kitchenaid didn't think so. I'll check it out. But I'm almost ready to just hand any replacement over to a friend and get a more hardy product for myself

MissAnthropic fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 19, 2014

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
If you bought it on a credit card, you might have an extended warranty.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

MissAnthropic posted:

Wasn't sure if this is better for the bread thread or here, but! Last year (in February or so) we bought a Kitchenaid 5 Plus from Canadian Tire. While we were excited at the time about attachments, this turned out to be primarily a dough kneader. We make one or two batches a week, usually 5-6 cups, of whole wheat, semolina, or whatever else yeast dough we like.

Couple weeks ago the motor dies, Kitchenaid pretty much said to buy another one, and we're pretty disappointed given the money we turned out for it. Turns out we're not alone regarding problems with these machines, so we're in the market for another option.

Can someone recommend/confirm a good mixer specifically for bread dough? It will primarily be kneading probably 8-10 cup batches (if it can handle it) of various yeast doughs. I'm ready to plunk down 400-600 on this, I just want not to have to replace the bloody thing in a year. A cursory google suggested the Bosch Universal (I'd be looking at the MUM6 Plus.)

VVV Kitchenaid didn't think so. I'll check it out. But I'm almost ready to just hand any replacement over to a friend and get a more hardy product for myself

According to our forums bread god:

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

As far as stand mixers, a Bosch is the most hard core option. Spiral rather than planetary mixing, and it'll do an obscene amount of dough at once. Bonus, the attachments are generally higher quality than the KA equivalent.
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-MUM6N10...sch+stand+mixer

Kreez posted:

If you're planning on using your mixer mostly for doughs, that Bosch is a tank. Keep in mind it's not very good at small batches. There's a ton of 3rd party attachments and DIY things you can try to improve the small batch performance, but I found you ended up needing different "hacks" depending on the moisture content, and I couldn't be bothered since I'm always trying different breads. 500g-800g of flour usually worked decently, and anything more I never had any issues. I ended up selling mine and buying a Bosch compact mixer (which is fantastic so far, and dirt cheap) because I have a tiny apartment freezer and the 2 of us couldn't eat enough bread to keep up with the minimum batch size. Sold it on craigslist to someone who had one for 27 years before the gearbox died. There's a bit of a cult-like worship of Bosch mixers, and I think I'm hooked. Would definitely recommend either the Compact or the Universal Plus depending on your batch size. I just wish the stainless bowls weren't so expensive, it's the only part of the KA I'm jealous of.

edit: The compact is only $200, and sometimes lower on sale, but before they re-released the model, they were going for twice that on eBay for used models, people liked them so much. People who come over dismiss it because it looks cheap, and was cheap, wondering when I'm going to "upgrade" to a high end mixer like a KA since they know I dump tons of money of kitchen stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-MUM4405-Compact-Mixer-mum4405/dp/B0006DORPU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1403157479&sr=8-2&keywords=bosch+stand+mixer

I think the argument they made was that simple spiral motion made it much sturdier than planetary motion.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 19, 2014

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

MissAnthropic posted:

Couple weeks ago the motor dies,
Does the motor power up when you turn the switch on, or does it make noise but not spin the paddle/hook?

It sounds like you'd be better off with something heavier duty anyway, I'm just curious.

Niel
Mar 5, 2013
Any recommendations for pressure cookers?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I have the Fagor 6 quart with steel body and I really like it, but if I could choose again I would go with the 8 quart.

Others have gotten the Presto 8 quart steel and seemed to like it as well.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Niel posted:

Any recommendations for pressure cookers?

How many people are you cooking for, how often would you use it, and what would you normally be cooking in it?

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

MissAnthropic posted:

Extended warranty would be through your CC, not Kitchenaid. Many CCs come with this feature.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Any recommendations for a chest freezer? I would like to buy a half pig :) or freeze jam and tomato sauce.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Does anyone else suck off the big black tamper of their vitamix when making smoothies?

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

kraftwerk singles posted:

Does anyone else suck off the big black tamper of their vitamix when making smoothies?

I use it to tamp the thick smoothy down my esophagus.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

jomiel posted:

Any recommendations for a chest freezer? I would like to buy a half pig :) or freeze jam and tomato sauce.

I got this : https://www.google.com/shopping/product/13120542436924333845 at a Sears scratch and dent for like $270, and turned it into a beer fridge via a ranco ETC. it works great, and hasn't died after about 3 years of use. also a great size - not too big, not too small. and black.

I also got out my drill and mounted casters on it so I can roll it around, which was some pro level foresight on my part, if I can toot my own horn. I can wheel like 300lbs of kegerator poo poo outside onto my patio for parties with almost no effort. I'd highly recommend this even just for freezer usage though, it's just nice to have and takes maybe 15 minutes to rig up.

edit : old photo because I love this thing <3 - minifridge converted into fermentation fridge on the left.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 20, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

jomiel posted:

My mom had some massive one that was like 4 feet tall and 6 feet long, she downsized to a stand-up model (smaller than a regular fridge) and loves it. It's much easier to get food in and out of (the old one opened at the top) and it's way more efficient and it shows on the electric bill. It was just some plain jane Kenmore from Sears.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
As far as I can tell all of the Thermoworks thermometers are really accurate and the price difference is mainly for speed, is that correct?

I need a thermometer but I simply cannot justify another 80 or 100 dollar purchase.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You'll be fine with one of those $20-30 ones from Thermoworks

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Steve Yun posted:

You'll be fine with one of those $20-30 ones from Thermoworks

There's a really good one that CdC once linked for $15 or so.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
The Thermopop and RTC-600 are nearly identical, but for the sake of form factor I'd choose the Thermopop. They're about the same price, too, and both have the thin probe like the Thermapen.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Foodahn posted:

As far as I can tell all of the Thermoworks thermometers are really accurate and the price difference is mainly for speed, is that correct?

I need a thermometer but I simply cannot justify another 80 or 100 dollar purchase.

There's no middle ground, it's either slow low end or fast high end models. All accurate though.

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-6492-Or...ood+thermometer

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I use a Taylor 9848EFDA for work. Reads in 5sec, accurate to .1 degree F, and it's only like 15bux at AceMart.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I use a Taylor 9848EFDA for work. Reads in 5sec, accurate to .1 degree F, and it's only like 15bux at AceMart.

It's really not an issue in cooking, but it's not accurate to .1 degree F, it has a .1 degree resolution. It's probably more like +/- .8 F accuracy. You spend lots of money to get to +/- .1 F accuracy.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Spatule posted:

There's no middle ground, it's either slow low end or fast high end models.

That's fine by me, accuracy is all I give a poo poo about, I just want my be sure my drunken purchase (anova) is accurate. I ordered the Thermopop.

Also I'm really happy with the Fagor 8qt. pressure cooker.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Live in an apartment, would like to grill, super said ok if nobody complains. Anyone have any info on electric grills? Weber would be my choice if I went charcoal but I'm thinking electric might be a simpler choice.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
What about gas?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 22, 2014

kernel panic
Jul 31, 2006

so we came here to burgle your turts!
I have $100 at Bed Bath and Beyond to spend on something that does pressure cooking. Should I get this 6 qt multicooker, this 8 qt traditional pressure cooker, or something else? I don't have a rice cooker and my slow cooker is larger, so I'd be able to use the other functions of the multicooker as well. But if doing 3 things means it doesn't do any of them very well, then it'd probably be better to get the separate appliances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/888070

quote:

Cooks Illustrated looked at electric pressure cookers this month and their basic feeling was that you are better off with a stovetop model.

Their basic complaints were that electric models are overly large, while only having 6qt capacity vs. the typical 8 of a stovetop model, they all seem to have non-stick interiors which are not durable, they're difficult to pour off any excess liquid because the interior liners are hot and have no handles, they mostly all use a 'warming' mode when cooking is complete, which for many recipes that require an immediate release of pressure means that you still have to watch them carefully, and lastly that they can't perform double-duty as a regular pot like a stovetop model can.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 22, 2014

• Locked thread