Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
manpurse
Mar 19, 2007

Pegnose Pete posted:

This was apparently going on about 10 days ago.
I just called my Target and they said it was an error that got fixed within 2 days (...) and when I asked him how much it was scanning up at he said it was 299.99.

Haven't physically gone to check and try and ring it through though.

When I get home from work I'll post what I used to get it from Walmart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Oh yeah, i take it when registering the Mario Kart 8 Pin code to get the free game i'll be emailed a code or something to tell me i can download one of the free games?

I've just popped the pin into club nintendo and answered the survey but all i got were coins or stars or whatever :/

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kin posted:

Oh yeah, i take it when registering the Mario Kart 8 Pin code to get the free game i'll be emailed a code or something to tell me i can download one of the free games?

I've just popped the pin into club nintendo and answered the survey but all i got were coins or stars or whatever :/

If I recall correctly you will see Club Nintendo update in a few hours with "Claim Free Game".

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

manpurse posted:

When I get home from work I'll post what I used to get it from Walmart

I imagine a picture of a receipt on your phone and then they price matched it?

Sounds like it might take a bit of fighting the Manager.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

thehacker0 posted:

I'll look into that, although it's not that old. Its a slim model, but not the newest version I don't think.

Oh okay, I think they stopped with the PS2 backwards compatibility before redesigning the console.

workingdogv1
Jul 10, 2001

:catdrugs:

seiferguy posted:

Not yet. I've just been looking at online store stock. I haven't had a chance yet to go into a store. My preference is Best Buy since I get gift cards for them through work, but so far nothing yet.

I had a similar problem to you last weekend, nothing in this area whatsoever (DC area), so I went on a bit of a road trip, hit up a few different Targets in rural areas and found a store with one bundle left. What I'm saying is it might be worth doing the legwork and hitting some out-of-the-way places, if the time and gas involved don't push the cost of the bundle past what you're willing to pay.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:
At Target between 6/22-6/28 they're going to have a buy 2 get 1 free deal on all Wii U games

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

deafmute posted:

At Target between 6/22-6/28 they're going to have a buy 2 get 1 free deal on all Wii U games

Target America? Reeeeaaally tempted to do it even though I shouldn't.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

deafmute posted:

Potentially buy 2 get 2 free if you don't have MK8 or the 4 free games yet. Buy MK8 and Pikmin 3, get Zelda AND NSMBU free.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Damnit! I just bought Mario Kart 8 today and redeemed it.

ARGH. Perhaps I'll see if there's any other good games out already...

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007

Pegnose Pete posted:

I imagine a picture of a receipt on your phone and then they price matched it?

Sounds like it might take a bit of fighting the Manager.

Just a picture of an in store thing.
I got 2 controllers for half price last night as well. Told the kid working there I wanted to price match 2 controllers. All he asked was if they were at Amazon. I said no. He said okay, asked how much they were and punched it in. Didn't show a picture or anything.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

ChaosArgate posted:

Target America? Reeeeaaally tempted to do it even though I shouldn't.
Yeah the American stores, doesn't look like it applies to :canada:

Louisgod posted:

Potentially buy 2 get 2 free if you don't have MK8 or the 4 free games yet. Buy MK8 and Pikmin 3, get Zelda AND NSMBU free.
It's even better for people that took advantage of their goofy trade in thing awhile ago. You could've traded in games for more you originally paid for them then turn around next week using the credit to get them back plus an extra free game(or 2 if you buy MK8 like you said) :mario:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm looking at Wii U bundles and was just about sold on the MK8 bundle for $330 until I saw Gamestop has a MK8 + New Super Mario Bros U + New Luigi Bros U bundle for $360. I'm leaning towards that. I have two wii motes, 1 nunchuck, and one classic controller already. That ought to be sufficient for three people to play those games together without motion controls, right?

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm looking at Wii U bundles and was just about sold on the MK8 bundle for $330 until I saw Gamestop has a MK8 + New Super Mario Bros U + New Luigi Bros U bundle for $360. I'm leaning towards that. I have two wii motes, 1 nunchuck, and one classic controller already. That ought to be sufficient for three people to play those games together without motion controls, right?

Considering you can get NSMBU when you register your MK8 bundle, you're basically paying an extra $30 to get Luigi and lose out on an extra wiimote. Bad deal.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Mobius posted:

Considering you can get NSMBU when you register your MK8 bundle, you're basically paying an extra $30 to get Luigi and lose out on an extra wiimote. Bad deal.

And keep in mind that the DLC version of New Super Luigi U is only 20 bucks, so you're basically paying 10 dollars extra to lose out of the $100 value of MK8 + a Wiimote Plus.

Edit: Oh wait, that bundle includes MK8 already. Disregard this.

Truxton fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 17, 2014

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mobius posted:

But he could just get another game instead, and $15 each for NSMBU and NSLU is a pretty good deal?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What's the consensus on Pikmin 3? I was leaning towards that since I liked the first two. But if it's the weakest entry in Pikmin I'll get Mario.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Wildtortilla posted:

What's the consensus on Pikmin 3? I was leaning towards that since I liked the first two. But if it's the weakest entry in Pikmin I'll get Mario.

If you liked the first two, you should like 3 too. It's a gorgeous game but it's a bit short if you don't plan on playing the challenge stages and multiplayer.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

It is definitely not the weakest entry in Pikmin. I'd personally probably rank them 2>3>1. In terms of length - it's definitely longer than 1 in every respect. It's considerably shorter than 2 because 2 added so much gameplay time with the cave mechanic. Purely comparing the outdoor areas however, 3 has much much bigger ones than either of the previous two games with a whole lot more stuff to do and collect. It also has absolutely stunning boss fights. I put it under 2 because I really liked what the caves added to the game, and also because 3 lacks a lot of the flavor text of 2 - there's no Piklopedia and the items you collect are fruit which only get brief descriptions.

Anyway it's fantastic and if you liked the first two you'll like this one too.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm a big Pikmin fan, and Pikmin 3 is my favorite in the series and probably my favorite Wii U game. It's a bit more like the first one than the second one, meaning the areas are carefully plotted and densely packed instead of those sprawling, never ending, randomly generated caves that made up the majority of 2. It does mean that the main campaign is technically shorter than 2's (but still longer than 1's), but I'd argue it's a much more fun experience. I also got hours out of the extra Mission Mode, even without the DLC.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Wildtortilla posted:

best game in the series best game in the series best game in the series best game in the series best game in the series

I mean, it depends on what you valued in the first two. I'd argue it's probably not quite as quirky as either of the first two games, it's definitely considerably shorter than 2 with less fun "details" strewn about, but the game's considerably less repetitive than 2, and the light emphasis on puzzle and three-captain setup gives the game an excellent amount of depth for replayability (especially the challenge levels, which are insanely replayable).

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Ultigonio posted:

best game in the series best game in the series best game in the series best game in the series best game in the series

I mean, it depends on what you valued in the first two. I'd argue it's probably not quite as quirky as either of the first two games, it's definitely considerably shorter than 2 with less fun "details" strewn about, but the game's considerably less repetitive than 2, and the light emphasis on puzzle and three-captain setup gives the game an excellent amount of depth for replayability (especially the challenge levels, which are insanely replayable).

Is there multiplayer? I enjoyed that in Pikmin 2.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Wildtortilla posted:

Yes, and it is great. There are also way more maps in 3 than in 2, and, in my opinion, they're better-designed. I really like the strategy dynamic behind bingo battle, although it unfortunately lacks the cool boss encounters that 2 has in its multiplayer stages. It's a little lame that it lacks online, since the mode is best played with someone else who knows what they're doing, but it's a blast to play whenever I get the chance.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 18, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

The multiplayer is incredible. I got my brother, who doesn't have any interest in playing the main games, to play it with me and he got really addicted to it.

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007
Here you go canada goons go hog wild

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I don't have a TV, but I have a computer monitor that supports HDMI. I'm pretty sure the Wii U comes with an HDMI cable by default, so I just wanted to ask-

Is there any way to get the console to output 100% of it's audio to the gamepad? My computer monitor obviously has no speakers and soundless games are no good. I know it'll do that when I play games solely on the gamepad (which is fine but not ideal) but is there a way to get it to do that even when playing on the main screen?

Alternately I'd just like to make sure Mario Kart 8 supports gamepad-only play because I could just do that instead and it's no big deal. It does, right?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

manpurse posted:

Anyone in Canada wanna pick me up a Pro Controller and ship it to me? I think cost+shipping on that would still be a drat sight cheaper than MSRP on it.

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007

jivjov posted:

Anyone in Canada wanna pick me up a Pro Controller and ship it to me? I think cost+shipping on that would still be a drat sight cheaper than MSRP on it.

Don't think so.

It's like $20 to ship anything across the border now.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

manpurse posted:

Don't think so.

It's like $20 to ship anything across the border now.

Seriously? drat, that's rough. Might be worth it if I got 2 though...right? $50+$20 shipping is still cheaper than $100...

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

jivjov posted:

Seriously? drat, that's rough. Might be worth it if I got 2 though...right? $50+$20 shipping is still cheaper than $100...

If you can stand to wait a couple weeks, Amazon has Japanese region Pro controllers for around $35 shipped. Controllers are region free so they should work fine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B009AP23NI/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=1402756205&sr=8-4

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
So, odd question maybe.

When I originally got my Wii U (near release) I transferred all of my data from my Wii. Since then I had an issue where the Wii U appeared to have attempted to update a game but somehow some data was corrupted in the process. As a result when I start certain games (about 3 of them) or attempt to access data management I get an error code. I did call Nintendo support about it and the conversation basically ended with "We can fix the console but if we do all of your data will be lost." Of course they'd transfer my digital licenses over but every Wii save I have would be gone. Since I apparently can't remove the save data (due to the odd corruption bug blocking data management) I can't copy it off.

Not wanting to lose my data and wanting to continue with new games I ended up getting a new Wii U. However Nintendo Id's can apparently only be tied to a single console and must be unregistered from the first console before you can add it to the new one.

So my question is this: If I unregister my NNID from the original Wii U will the Wii digital content on it still work? I hadn't bought any Wii U games on it (which I understand would no longer work) but have several Wii games sitting on that machine.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

manpurse posted:

Seeing that makes me wanna go for it.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Is there any way to get the console to output 100% of it's audio to the gamepad?

As far as I know the only way to make this work is to plug a pair of headphones into the Gamepad. I'd love to be corrected, though! I have my Wii U hooked up to a monitor as well, so I'm mostly in the same boat.

Also yes, Mario Kart 8 supports Gamepad only play, but you sacrifice having the map and some other (mostly useless) data on the Gamepad as you play. It's not a big deal, really.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Looks like McDonald's is going to have some Mario Kart 8 toys in their Happy Meals.
Not right yet, as the How to Train your Dragon toys are still out, but sometime in the next few weeks.

Looks like I'm going to be having Happy Meals as lunch for a few weeks.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

deafmute posted:

On top of this, they'll be selling the NSMBU/Luigi U hardware bundle for $275.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Sarchasm posted:

As far as I know the only way to make this work is to plug a pair of headphones into the Gamepad. I'd love to be corrected, though! I have my Wii U hooked up to a monitor as well, so I'm mostly in the same boat.

Also yes, Mario Kart 8 supports Gamepad only play, but you sacrifice having the map and some other (mostly useless) data on the Gamepad as you play. It's not a big deal, really.

Wait, if I plug headphones into the gamepad it plays all the audio that would be on the TV through the headphones instead? Or am I misunderstanding you? Because that would be fine, I could just plug speakers into that.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kelp Plankton posted:

Wait, if I plug headphones into the gamepad it plays all the audio that would be on the TV through the headphones instead? Or am I misunderstanding you? Because that would be fine, I could just plug speakers into that.
Depends on the game. Some games have an option to send main audio to the gamepad, some games only let you do that in off-screen mode, some don't let you offload anything to the gamepad.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

manpurse posted:

Another question about that deal; is it specific to a certain province or store? I have a Canadian buddy who'd be willing to hook me up, but he can't find the deal on target.ca.

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007

jivjov posted:

Another question about that deal; is it specific to a certain province or store? I have a Canadian buddy who'd be willing to hook me up, but he can't find the deal on target.ca.

It's Canada wide as far as I can tell.

I just walked into my local walmart and got them to price match it.

All I had to do was show them the picture.

Went to get controllers, kid working the till didn't give a gently caress, just sold me the controllers for half price without any evidence, just asked if the sale was at Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
For anyone wanting a cheap Wii U Pro Controller, there are some foreign made knock offs that work really well and cost about $30 American. Doing some Google Searching should turn them up. They look just like the real thing except they don't say "Wii U" on the front.

I went to a store to buy a Wii U Pro Controller and when I saw it was the same price as a full game I went "no..."

I could understand $30, but $50 for a controller that doesn't even have gyroscope/accelerometers/screen/speaker in it? It can't cost that much to produce such a thing!

• Locked thread