Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

You guys were in the deep end a decade ago, you're drilling into the Marianas Trench now.

This should be fun:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...2a52_story.html

Taking bets now on how this is actually a bad thing, immediately disqualifying "too little too late" and "what convenient timing" as too easy.

They caught him to shut him up before the REAL BENGHAZI investigation uncovered everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Taking bets now on how this is actually a bad thing, immediately disqualifying "too little too late" and "what convenient timing" as too easy.

Choose one or all of the following!

A. Obama is trying to deflect blame for Benghazi
B. How dare he try to take credit for this when are troops/are FBI are fixing his gently caress ups.
C. Where were these troops when our ambassador was being killed by godless heathens Obummer!

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

happyhippy posted:

Are you American?
But where are you really from?

Cythereal posted:

The Republicans' anti-Muslim stance is one of the things that really amuses me. If the Republicans dropped their Islamophobia, traditional Muslims would be an ideal Republican voting bloc.
some of us just happen to have a wide stance It's crazy that 9/11 was the trigger for open Islamophobia becoming mainstream among Republicans. Like bumfuck Arkansas is ever at risk for a terrorist attack. Show me one republican presidential candidate who's an outspoken fan of NYC (not Rudy aside from Wall Street's effect on the economy). None of them care for big inclusive metro areas, they're pandering to a non-existent white rural majority to whatever extent they're acting populist at all.

Even just yesterday, waiting in line at an NC-ABC store, this old white guy in front of me said "I was thinkin bout doin a anniversry trip to France, but you know how things ha'gone overseas these last few weeks" like Paris is some kind of war zone because of Obama or Hollande. Everywhere outside of the continental US is now the danger zone, FYI.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Raskolnikov38 posted:

A. Obama is trying to deflect blame for Benghazi

Nah, it's just a distraction for the trade of 5 Talibans for 1 Deserter.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

sweart gliwere posted:

some of us just happen to have a wide stance It's crazy that 9/11 was the trigger for open Islamophobia becoming mainstream among Republicans. Like bumfuck Arkansas is ever at risk for a terrorist attack. Show me one republican presidential candidate who's an outspoken fan of NYC (not Rudy aside from Wall Street's effect on the economy). None of them care for big inclusive metro areas, they're pandering to a non-existent white rural majority to whatever extent they're acting populist at all.

Even just yesterday, waiting in line at an NC-ABC store, this old white guy in front of me said "I was thinkin bout doin a anniversry trip to France, but you know how things ha'gone overseas these last few weeks" like Paris is some kind of war zone because of Obama or Hollande. Everywhere outside of the continental US is now the danger zone, FYI.

True up to a point. Inside the continental US the danger zone comes from ultraright-wing "revolutionaries" and mentally ill people with ready access to guns.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Nah, it's just a distraction for the trade of 5 Talibans for 1 Deserter.

I had someone tell me that those 5 were behind 9/11.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

“So America is the child molester in this scenario?” Kelly asked as she started to laugh. “I’m just trying to follow, Dinesh. I think we may have jumped off the deep end.”
I love it. This is what the conservative movement has to offer voters in the year 2014: a felon on his way to prison declaring that Obama was molested as a child by America or something. This is their leadership, this is the message they are communicating to potential voters - along with anger that Obama isn't restarting the Iraq War and yelling about Benghazi. That's it, that's all they have. Why would anyone under age 30 who wasn't either Alex P. Keaton reincarnated or homeschooled at Jesus Camp have anything to do with this party?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Don't forget all the promises to revoke our healthcare, get us back into Iraq, and trash Hillary for being married to the most beloved president in the last 25 years.

And a guy in a squirrel suit.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
:lol: Fox went ahead with the OH NICE TIMING angle. Such sour grapes.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
They're going to do very well in 2014 for purely structural and timing-realted reasons, and from this they will conclude that they don't need to change anything but rather just need to stick to their conservative principles in 2016, and oh ho ho I can't wait to see that.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
http://mediamatters.org/blog/2014/06/17/video-heritage-foundations-benghazi-panelists-m/199750

Media Matters posted a video of the Heritage panel on Benghazi that people were discussing a couple pages back. It doesn't match Milbank's description of events very well. In particular Gabrielle's question "Are you American" comes off as genuine rather than spiteful finger pointing.

You can still sense the hatred for Muslims simmering beneath the surface, but the exchange isn't as bad as Milbank made it out to be.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

sweart gliwere posted:

To be fair France is currently embroiled in a crippling rail strike so right now is probably not the best time to visit.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Or he could've been making GBS threads his pants over ISIS rattling their terror saber.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Typical Pubbie posted:

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2014/06/17/video-heritage-foundations-benghazi-panelists-m/199750

Media Matters posted a video of the Heritage panel on Benghazi that people were discussing a couple pages back. It doesn't match Milbank's description of events very well. In particular Gabrielle's question "Are you American" comes off as genuine rather than spiteful finger pointing.

You can still sense the hatred for Muslims simmering beneath the surface, but the exchange isn't as bad as Milbank made it out to be.

Yeah, uh, it was the question coming off as genuine which made it seem awful to begin with. You realize that bit, right?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

quote:

OBAMA: (godlike echo) When President Kennedy set us on a course for the moon, there were a number of people who made a serious case that it wouldn't be worth it. It was gonna be too expensive, it was gonna be too hard, it would take too long. But nobody ignored the science. I don't remember anybody saying that the moon wasn't there or that it was made of cheese.

AUDIENCE: (one person laughs)

RUSH: In fact, if you go back and if you listen carefully to the tapes of Armstrong getting off the lunar module, there was a school of thought -- even during the mission and leading up to it -- that the moon surface was like quick stand, that it would be impossible to land on it, that it would simply swallow up anything that hit the surface. This was science. This was accepted science. It was a possibility.

It was not obviously etched in stone. You go back and listen to Armstrong describe the surface getting off, they were really, really worried about this because it was accepted in the day that the surface of the moon was like quick stand. That's not the term that was used. I forget what it was, but it was the equivalent. There were people who thought it was "cheese." But this is the kind of thing here he does.

So Rush is saying that's it's wrong for Obama to compare AGW deniers to people who claimed the moon was made of cheese because even though Rush himself is not saying anyone believed the moon was made of cheese, there was a theory about it being made of quicksand so therefore the same thing?

And the fact that those people were proved to be wrong doesn't seem to bother him either?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Islamophobia is a great two-for-one bundle for regressives and fear-mongers. Not only can they stoke Red Scare fears of the enemy within, these enemies are usually people who are visibly ethnic.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

FMguru posted:

This is mostly my privilege talking (because its unlikely that if such talk gets out of hand that it'll be my head that gets cracked open), but I'm kind of delighted by all this crazy talk. Every year, another several million Millennials reach voting age - a cohort that's increasingly non-white and non-Christian - and they look around and see one of the two main political parties proudly pulling poo poo like this. Every year that goes by where Republicans cater to the rapidly dwindling electoral sector of scared old white conservatives at the direct expense of appealing to, well, anyone else is another load of bricks with which to build their mausoleum. They just keep digging that hole. They're so trapped in the sealed Fox/Limbaugh information cocoon that they can't even recognize basic facts of demographics - to them, there will always be a nigh-unlimited number of conservative white voters Out There who just need to be energized to go the to polls and then all will be well, for ever and ever, amen.

I've never seen anything like it. From the deepest pit of hell, Lee Atwater is screaming at them to change course, but no one is listening to him (except the demon on duty who tells him to shut up and pours another cauldron of flaming oily poo poo over his flayed skin).

Don't worry, in 20 years they won't need millenial votes. By that point they'll have disenfranchise anybody that doesn't vote Republican so hard they'll just do whatever they want. The GOP isn't stupid. They see the writing on the wall. They're trying to court Hispanic votes while doing their damnedest to not only gerrymander everything mercilessly but prevent people they don't like from having a vote at all. Incarceration rates are climbing, poverty rates are climbing, and they're working on making it more inconvenient to vote.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Don't worry, in 20 years they won't need millenial votes.
In 20 years Pat Buchanan will be considered a pinko liberal.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Yep NASA had no idea what the surface of the moon was like, I mean it's not like we landed two dozen or so probes on the loving thing before Apollo 11 was even being built. :rolleyes:

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

doing their damnedest to not only gerrymander everything mercilessly

Only works to a point and once a gerrymander breaks it breaks hard.

quote:

Incarceration rates are climbing

Declining since 2008.

quote:

poverty rates are climbing

Declining since 2009.

quote:

and they're working on making it more inconvenient to vote.

They already passed voter ID and it had minimal effect.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Beamed posted:

Yeah, uh, it was the question coming off as genuine which made it seem awful to begin with. You realize that bit, right?

Come on, don't make me defend a bigot. The way Gabrielle framed the question was different from the way Milbank portrayed it in his write-up. There's no need to exaggerate the vitriol of these people; let it speak for itself.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I watched it and I would've been offended as gently caress, like what do you think I'm doing? Taking a vacation in America so I can come get heckled at a Heritage Foundation islamophobia fest?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfrhiaPEq2s

"Good news there...I guess" :lol: It's loving Bergdahl all over again. GIVE US CANDY GIVE US CANDY GIVE US CANDY GIVE US CANDY WHOA HEY gently caress YOU TRYING TO RUIN MY TEETH WITH CANDY! THIS MAN IS ATTACKING ME AND TRYING TO MAKE ME UNHEALTHY!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

So Rush is saying that's it's wrong for Obama to compare AGW deniers to people who claimed the moon was made of cheese because even though Rush himself is not saying anyone believed the moon was made of cheese, there was a theory about it being made of quicksand so therefore the same thing?

And the fact that those people were proved to be wrong doesn't seem to bother him either?

Probes had already been sent to the Moon by the time of the Apollo mission and we'd established early on that the surface was suitable to land on. The crew of Apollo 11 was more concerned with landing on large boulders or at a weird angle than they were with sinking into the soil.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Don't worry, in 20 years they won't need millenial votes. By that point they'll have disenfranchise anybody that doesn't vote Republican so hard they'll just do whatever they want. The GOP isn't stupid. They see the writing on the wall. They're trying to court Hispanic votes while doing their damnedest to not only gerrymander everything mercilessly but prevent people they don't like from having a vote at all. Incarceration rates are climbing, poverty rates are climbing, and they're working on making it more inconvenient to vote.
I, too, remember how Diebold stole the 2008 election for John McCain.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/harry-reid-gop-reaction-benghazi-suspect-capture

quote:

"It doesn't matter what your ideology is, you should feel good about this. There’s no conspiracy here, this is actual news. But the reaction of some of the Republicans, I’ve been told, is to downplay and insult the brave men and women of our special forces and the FBI. They’re trying to say, oh, it’s no big deal. I wonder if the men and women who captured the terrorist agree. But the Republicans said it's no big deal. Even in these days of polarization, created by the obstruction, the delay, and diversion of the Republicans, even in these days of polarization, their reaction is shocking and disgusting. They’re so obsessed with criticism, criticizing anything President Obama does. They’ll go so far as to sit here and insult the men and women in uniform and in law enforcement. They should stop and think, just for a little bit, about what it’s like to put your life on the line and to do something for our country -- that’s what they did. They’re insulting these good men and women who did some courageous things, heroic things, in order to criticize President Obama. I think they’ve lost touch with reality; it’s really pathetic, there’s no other word for it."

I hope Reid never leaves office, dude is hilarious.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sir Tonk posted:

I hope Reid never leaves office, dude is hilarious.
About three years ago he finally gave up on comity and decorousness and restraint and is now just straight trolling the R's every chance he gets, it's awesome. He did some masterful work against Romney (who he really seemed to hate on a deeply personal level, probably from Church politics).

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
His move on Romney where he said an anonymous source told him his taxes were crooked as gently caress was hilariously evil. It would never have worked if Mitt wasn't already setting himself up for a fall by thinking his tax returns mattered more to him than his campaign but it was still a sweet move.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Because there's just no way that any company could be interested in marketing to an until recently ignored demographic while getting some positive social media attention at the same time.

No, airing a graham cracker commercial featuring a gay couple is obviously all about attacking conservatives. Everything that isn't explicitly conservative is about attacking conservatives, after all.

When you get to the point where a commercial featuring a happy couple eating graham crackers is a "taunt", you've really got some serious thinking and reflecting to do.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/glenn-beck-has-explanation-any-outcome-iraq

I like that beck isnt even pretending anymore, no matter how it ends, obama is satan and glenn beck is the prophet of god.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Rhesus Pieces posted:

No, airing a graham cracker commercial featuring a gay couple is obviously all about attacking conservatives. Everything that isn't explicitly conservative is about attacking conservatives, after all.
Everything is always and forever about them. Everything. Always.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Because there's just no way that any company could be interested in marketing to an until recently ignored demographic while getting some positive social media attention at the same time.

When you get to the point where a commercial featuring a happy couple eating graham crackers is a "taunt", you've really got some serious thinking and reflecting to do.

These are the same people that claim Christians in the US are persecuted for their beliefs. Don't look too far into it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mr Interweb posted:

Extra dumb because one of the objectives of the unmanned landing probes before Apollo 11 was to rule out this possibility.

Science: I don't understand it, does anyone really understand it???

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Science: I don't understand it, does anyone really understand it???
But what is water? It's a difficult question, because water is impossible to describe. One might ask the same about birds. What are birds? We just don't know.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Is there any good article about who exactly the five Taliban guys we traded are? The claims people on the right are making about them are getting more and more wild. Oliver North today on Medved claimed they were responsible for the deaths of over 250,000 people.

cunny mcalister
Mar 21, 2004
Somehow less than meets the eye.

Republicans posted:

Is there any good article about who exactly the five Taliban guys we traded are? The claims people on the right are making about them are getting more and more wild. Oliver North today on Medved claimed they were responsible for the deaths of over 250,000 people.

I didn't know North was the jealous type.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

So apparently it's a thing that Hillary had to defend a child rapist as a public defender at the beginning of her career and did her job. link

quote:

Newly discovered audio recordings of Hillary Clinton from the early 1980s include the former first lady’s frank and detailed assessment of the most significant criminal case of her legal career: defending a man accused of raping a 12-year-old girl.

In 1975, the same year she married Bill, Hillary Clinton agreed to serve as the court-appointed attorney for Thomas Alfred Taylor, a 41-year-old accused of raping the child after luring her into a car.

The recordings, which date from 1983-1987 and have never before been reported, include Clinton’s suggestion that she knew Taylor was guilty at the time. She says she used a legal technicality to plead her client, who faced 30 years to life in prison, down to a lesser charge. The recording and transcript, along with court documents pertaining to the case, are embedded below.

The full story of the Taylor defense calls into question Clinton’s narrative of her early years as a devoted women and children’s advocate in Arkansas—a narrative the 2016 presidential frontrunner continues to promote on her current book tour.

Her comments on the rape trial are part of more than five hours of unpublished interviews conducted by Arkansas reporter Roy Reed with then-Arkansas Gov. Bill Clinton and his wife in the mid-1980s.

Click for more from The Washington Free Beacon

quote:

Comments are currently
closed for this article
:iamafag:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I was wondering what people were talking about on Facebook. It's even dumber than I thought.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

loving CONSTITUTION IS UN-AMERICAN :argh:

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

paranoid randroid posted:

I'm reasonably sure I've worked with that Saba Ahmed and she is the nicest woman on the planet.

Oh, and she's a Republican. Good job reaching out to conservatives of faith, Heritage Foundation.

Do you think she still is after today? If not, realistically what is the breaking point for someone like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Rip Testes posted:

You know the above sounds like a joke, but I actually went to SAS training in DC taught by some former Columbia professor who's now and a consultant and also public health worker for the UN that appeared to doubt the evidence for climate change and cited the lack of a control earth as a legitimate issue.

It's also the exact same argument they used for why the Bush tax cuts raised revenue. Even though revenue fell, it fell by LESS than it would have had they not passed the tax cuts.

At least they've started to drop the Laffer curve nonsense and just come out and say that they are actively opposed to raising revenue.