Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Chairs are made for sitting on.

Not SEXING ON.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Click on this. This is good.

Turns there IS a shitter on the bridge deck.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Yes, it has been noted!

Pikestaff posted:

Tiny pixel Data on a tiny pixel Enterprise :3: http://www.pixeltrek.com/

(I would play the hell out of an FTL-like game in this style)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Ah crap. With the forums being all wonky the last several days, I must've missed that.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

Like that's a bad thing.

I was definitely not implying that it was.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Otisburg posted:

An evolutionary step in the wrong direction .... I am not your manchild anymore

Otisburg went warp 10, putting him in every thread at the same time and now he's a lizard.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Gonz posted:

Click on this. This is good.

Turns there IS a shitter on the bridge deck.

Holy poo poo

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
So because I am a huge nerd, when I was trying to fall asleep last night, I couldn't help but wonder if pon farr means that all Vulcans are obligate heterosexuals.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

eriktown posted:

So because I am a huge nerd, when I was trying to fall asleep last night, I couldn't help but wonder if pon farr means that all Vulcans are obligate heterosexuals.

I suppose that depends on the ratio of the sexes. If there are more males than females, I imagine the remaining males all fight each other until they just start loving out of sheer hormonal energy, then they collapse in a pool of green blood and whatever Vulcan semen is like.

I don't recall if the females have a combat urge, so maybe they'd just get straight to the lesbianism.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I'm sure some sweaty nerd somewhere has typed reams upon reams of horrible erotic fanfiction about how those poor Vulcans manage to cope for the seven years in between pon farrs.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

eriktown posted:

Sex for pleasure instead of procreation is sinful illogical.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
edit: double post

Radium, from hell's heart, I stab at thee!

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 17, 2014

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
While on the subject of animated Star Trek, I just finished up my first watch of TAS. Its full of :catdrugs: and I loved every minute of it. It truly was season 4 of TOS and I wish there was more of it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

eriktown posted:

You know that's a good question. I would guess that it's either not always heterosexual and can be done by empathically bonding with a same-sex partner as well, or that if Pon Farr does induce purely heterosexual desires that LGBT Vulcans consider it apart from their actual relationships and it is not seen in the cultural sense as evidence of hetero/bisexuality.

Evek posted:

While on the subject of animated Star Trek, I just finished up my first watch of TAS. Its full of :catdrugs: and I loved every minute of it. It truly was season 4 of TOS and I wish there was more of it.

The best thing about TAS is they were able to just throw in crazy stuff like Lts. M'ress and Arex. Every Trek needs Arex.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mister Adequate posted:

Every Trek needs Arex.

Even PixelTrek! :3:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

The Dark One posted:

From the Aisha Tyler podcast episode posted a while back, it sounds like it was a nightmare of a costume to wear, too. The bust padding was some kind of flannel-y material that would get lumpy after a wash, and more than once they'd bring out portable heaters, thinking it was her nipples.

This is from waaaay back, but wher can I get this podcast? I love Aisha.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

podcast with Jeri Ryan. Ryan also shits on a big time non-Trek actor without naming names. Good times.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Jeri Ryan is a goddamn saint and Aisha Tyler needs to take over for Craig Ferguson.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I'd watch The Late Late Show with Aisha Tyler.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zesty Mordant posted:

Generations has going for it that it's TNG: The Movie with cameo Shatner.

Generations has the perhaps the dumbest loving plot of the entire film franchise, with the biggest plot holes in it.

If you're not counting Voyager it may have the biggest plot holes of anything in the entire franchise COUNTING TV.

ED: Well.. I take that back. I forgot Nemesis. But even then, I'd almost rather sit through that than Generations again. Plus they have the unforgivable crime of misusing Malcom McDowell, who could have been a drat classic with better writing. But I think Generations had worse directing and editing far and away. Seriously the "Klingon prisoner exchange" scene is like 6 minutes of pure 'what the gently caress.'

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 18, 2014

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Then you've got the fact they reuse the bird of prey explosion scene which was from the last Star Trek movie released before it. Yeah I'm sure nobody noticed that guys. Seriously, that's a very unique explosion ending with the "head" exploding all by itself. The explosion was cool don't get me wrong, but geez try to make it look a little different.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
I'm curious: do the novels ever really go into Jadzia prior to the joining thing? Or the psychotic host dealie?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So here's a nerd question: What does the Federation do if one of it's worlds suddenly no longer meets it's standards, kick them out? I only ask because they point out if the population knew the truth, there'd be riots on Trill trying to get symbiotes. So if they fell into civil war, would the Federation just punt their entire world out of the group, or are they supposed to get involved in support of the legitimate government?

Old Boot posted:

I'm curious: do the novels ever really go into Jadzia prior to the joining thing? Or the psychotic host dealie?

I thought it was hilarious when they tried to play him up as Hannibal Lecter, the brilliant cunning and refined criminal.

When before the dude's plan was "stab stab stab" and get caught in 5 minutes. He was like a serial killer that got caught so fast he never got to the serial part.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 18, 2014

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Yeah, that Ezri episode was weak. Watching him possess Sisko was fantastic though.

Edit: as for civil war, probably offer mediation. If that fails I suspect the planet would be reduced to probationary status until the matter is settled internally and the resulting government can be assessed.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Sisko only pretended he was possessed. :tinfoil:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

If that fails I suspect the planet would be reduced to probationary status a cinder.

This is how I would solve problems in the Federation.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Vulcan Reformation 3 parter was way too long and felt a little like a half-hearted apology for the Vulcans not being very Vulcan before that arc. I get that humans have to be the driving force behind everything we see because, well, we're humans, but do they really have to retroactively become the reason that the Vulcans are peaceful in TOS?

The one with Bill Cobbs was pretty good though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I expect that if a Federation world fell to internal conflict the Feds would go in and try to quieten things down with plans to oversee a full democratic re-election once they were done. If they're a Federation world they have to have a representative government. If their system is failed the Feds can Peacekeep as they reconstitute or they can leave the Federation.

Mediation is what you offer to external allies.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 18, 2014

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Naw, they just wipe the planet. Then send some colonists over and "Hey, guys check out this planet we just discovered for you! Don't mind the craters of radiation, that should clear up in a few decades."

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Blazing Ownager posted:

Generations has the perhaps the dumbest loving plot of the entire film franchise, with the biggest plot holes in it.

If you're not counting Voyager it may have the biggest plot holes of anything in the entire franchise COUNTING TV.

ED: Well.. I take that back. I forgot Nemesis. But even then, I'd almost rather sit through that than Generations again. Plus they have the unforgivable crime of misusing Malcom McDowell, who could have been a drat classic with better writing. But I think Generations had worse directing and editing far and away. Seriously the "Klingon prisoner exchange" scene is like 6 minutes of pure 'what the gently caress.'

Usually when I'm watching any Star Trek related things I'm not actively searching for plot holes, since basically nothing is consistent or makes sense ever, so I don't even know what you're referring to. The whole time-strand thing defying basic physics and etc. is horrendous, but really, is it worth it to even point out nonsensical science stuff like that in Star Trek related things? First Contact does the smartest thing about this and completely ignores any explanations whatsoever ("The borg ship went back in time! follow them!" and when they're done, they just zoom right back through the opposite way). Not trying to explain certain given situations is often the smarter move to take in the writing of this series.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
The two huge plot holes for me in Generations are:

1. Soren says he can't fly a ship into the Nexus because technobabble. Except. .. He got in the nexus the first time using a ship. 80 years later he couldn't use even more superior technology to polarize the secondary power coupling or whatever?

2. Picard is offered the opportunity to go back to any point in time. Why the gently caress would he choose 15 minutes ago over a few days? He already broke the Temporal Prime Directive. Why not go back to the day of the distress call and arrest Soren on the spot? poo poo, go back two days earlier than that and warn your stupid family about the fire. If you're feeling nasty.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Tyson Tomko posted:

Then you've got the fact they reuse the bird of prey explosion scene which was from the last Star Trek movie released before it. Yeah I'm sure nobody noticed that guys. Seriously, that's a very unique explosion ending with the "head" exploding all by itself. The explosion was cool don't get me wrong, but geez try to make it look a little different.

Last time we talked about Generations, someone tried to justify this along the lines of "well theres no point spending all that money if youve got a perfectly good shot already!" as if that justified it at all.

Zesty Mordant posted:

Usually when I'm watching any Star Trek related things I'm not actively searching for plot holes, since basically nothing is consistent or makes sense ever, so I don't even know what you're referring to. The whole time-strand thing defying basic physics and etc. is horrendous, but really, is it worth it to even point out nonsensical science stuff like that in Star Trek related things? First Contact does the smartest thing about this and completely ignores any explanations whatsoever ("The borg ship went back in time! follow them!" and when they're done, they just zoom right back through the opposite way). Not trying to explain certain given situations is often the smarter move to take in the writing of this series.

The entire premise is that Sauron needs to blow up whole stars, including ones that sustain intelligent life, for the Nexus (which moves slow as poo poo yet covers lightyears) because you cant fly a ship into it... despite Kirk getting in by flying a ship into it. He could literally have sat infront of it in a spacesuit and bam.. inside you go.

Also blowing up stars doesnt change their gravity :v:

Yes First Contact still has plot holes (time travel always will) but it makes up for it in other ways. Generations does not.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Plus there is zero tension because he haven't even seen the planet or people that star is going to blow up. In a movie, the audience isn't going to care about someone they've never even seen.

Generations has some cool moments here and there, but it's really just a bad script.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Nutsngum posted:

The entire premise is that Sauron needs to blow up whole stars, including ones that sustain intelligent life, for the Nexus (which moves slow as poo poo yet covers lightyears) because you cant fly a ship into it... despite Kirk getting in by flying a ship into it. He could literally have sat infront of it in a spacesuit and bam.. inside you go.

It's prolly fan-wank, but internally I figured that while the Nexus Ribbon is the route to the Nexus, it's still a dangerous space anomaly. His plan was to tweak its path so that he can increase the odds of having a Getting Into The Nexus endgame and not a Get Ripped Apart Via :techno: endgame.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

A Fancy Bloke posted:

2. Picard is offered the opportunity to go back to any point in time. Why the gently caress would he choose 15 minutes ago over a few days? He already broke the Temporal Prime Directive. Why not go back to the day of the distress call and arrest Soren on the spot? poo poo, go back two days earlier than that and warn your stupid family about the fire. If you're feeling nasty.

I love this bit, not only does he just go back to the launch site, he asks loving Guinan to help him punch Soren in the face. And when she turns him down he's like... "okay, got any octogenarians around here with pluck?"

Burning_Monk fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 18, 2014

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Tyson Tomko posted:

I remember on one of the commentaries (director's?) the guy talking about going down and watching the SFX team blow up the "Klingon ship" so either he somehow mixed up the Enterprise, was on drugs, or they left the lens cap on and needed a backup solution. That commentary was pretty bad.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Cat Hatter posted:

I remember on one of the commentaries (director's?) the guy talking about going down and watching the SFX team blow up the "Klingon ship" so either he somehow mixed up the Enterprise, was on drugs, or they left the lens cap on and needed a backup solution. That commentary was pretty bad.

Well The Undiscovered Country only came out like, 3 years earlier, it's entirely possible that the guy giving the commentary was involved in the production of that film and therefor saw the SFX team blow up the klingon ship for the movie it originally appeared in...

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

MisterBibs posted:

It's prolly fan-wank, but internally I figured that while the Nexus Ribbon is the route to the Nexus, it's still a dangerous space anomaly. His plan was to tweak its path so that he can increase the odds of having a Getting Into The Nexus endgame and not a Get Ripped Apart Via :techno: endgame.

He is meant to be a brilliant scientist. Seems much more plausible he could find some way of making a ship that will guarantee him getting in. The other choice was murdering a lot of people, including Romulans who now would want to kill him, allying with traitor Klingons who would probably screw him over at any point or incur the wrath of the Empire or attract the attantion of Starfleet who will probably shut him down hard.

Its really just a piss poor villian motivation thats not thought through properly.

Actually if you look at the other movies, the overall quality comes down a lot to the motivation of the bag guys.

Motion Picture: Finding its creator... kind of meh.
WoK: REVENGE= awesome
Spock: Bad guy was kind of secondary but still worked for the most part due to the motivation of the characters to get Spock
Voyage Home: Again, poo poo enemy but the characters kind of pull it off and its at least a clear and concise adversity.
Frontier: Hahaha
TUC: Bad guy wants to maintain political status quo, will do anything to do so. = Great and memorable villian and movie
Generations : Faaart
First Contact: Borg want to destroy earth and starfleet, basic but works because Picard has a Captn Ahab thing going on.
Insurrection: Stupid villians doing stupid poo poo that doesnt make sense and a bunch of idiots who are selfish pricks.
Nemesis: Stupid clone wants to be evil because reasons. Wastes time despite dying
Trek09: Blames spock for reasons that dont make much sense considering. Not bad, but the worst part of the film
Into Darkness: Khan wants his dudes back. Meh

I mean, its not perfect but you can see how it helps a movie.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

howe_sam posted:

podcast with Jeri Ryan. Ryan also shits on a big time non-Trek actor without naming names. Good times.

Well drat I didn't know she has a podcast.

Blazing Ownager posted:

But I think Generations had worse directing and editing far and away. Seriously the "Klingon prisoner exchange" scene is like 6 minutes of pure 'what the gently caress.'

What the gently caress indeed. I don't even remember there being any Klingons in Generations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Snak posted:

Well The Undiscovered Country only came out like, 3 years earlier, it's entirely possible that the guy giving the commentary was involved in the production of that film and therefor saw the SFX team blow up the klingon ship for the movie it originally appeared in...

I just checked and it was David Carson who is apparently very hit or miss as a director. The Bermanga commentary is much better since the whole thing is them explaining how/why the script was so bad and ripping on Picard's Nexus family.

• Locked thread