Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Pakled posted:

2008 was still after lcd tvs became cheap

i had a crt until 2011 :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool biRd pics
Aug 28, 2009

you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d6/Wikipedia_vandalism.PNG

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

this is a v. good video

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

This is a good pic and not worthless at all

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

duTrieux. posted:

this is a v. good video

yeah i love that dude. his wrecking ball video is similarly amazing

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Pakled posted:

2008 was still after lcd tvs became cheap

yeah if theres one thing that defines shithole dive bars, it's "keeping pace with home entertainment technology"

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Trig Discipline posted:

yeah i love that dude. his wrecking ball video is similarly amazing

i think i saw amanda palmer tweeting it and saying it was the first time the song made sense to her

fe: no it was ron jeremy's version of wrecking ball

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
this is not a tamale

they need to get a picture of the tamales that street vendors sell that are about the same size and weight as a lead pipe

in my head, the word "tamale" always sounds like it's being said by marco rodrigo diaz de vivar gabriel garcia marquez

prefect fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 17, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

this is not a tamale

they need to get a picture of the tamales that street vendors sell that are about the same size and weight as a lead pipe

in my head, the word "tamale" always sounds like it's being said by marco rodrigo diaz de vivar gabriel garcia marquez

Ceci n'est pas une tamale

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Suspicious Dish posted:

Ceci n'est pas une tamale

i love magritte to death, but i worry that he's going to become the new escher; beloved by horrible nerds, and seen as a mark of shame by normals :ohdear:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

prefect posted:

I have the strength of a bear that has the strength of two bears

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

proof that dudes that look like... that... can clean up pretty well in some occasions

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

prefect posted:

i love magritte to death, but i worry that he's going to become the new escher; beloved by horrible nerds, and seen as a mark of shame by normals :ohdear:

I guarantee nerds only know the treachery of images and the son of man, maybe golconda or not to be reproduced, but almost certainly not by name, more like that apple one or that pipe one

the exhibition at moma a couple months ago was p rad

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_in_Star_Trek

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

prefect posted:

Nerds have been into magritte for decades bro

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Additional Notes [edit]

In the film, Wild Bill Hickok often wears dark glasses. There is a factual basis to this characterization. In 1876, Hickok was diagnosed by a doctor in Kansas City, Missouri, with glaucoma and 'ophthalmia'. Actually, he was probably afflicted with trachoma, a common vision disorder of the time.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Nintendo Kid posted:

Nerds have been into magritte for decades bro

yeah I'm sorry prefect but you're a nerd

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
:420: ouais mais tse, c'est quoi une pipe anyway :420:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
lol @ someone in yospos saying "i love this thing but i hope NERDS don't get into it"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Trig Discipline posted:

lol @ someone in yospos saying "i love this thing but i hope NERDS don't get into it"

prefect posted:

it's the last part there that i'm worried about -- i've seen people see escher and say "that person is a shameful nerd", and i'd rather not advertise if i can avoid it

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson_University

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

A jocular use of a form of the rhyme by a Southwest Airlines flight attendant, encouraging passengers to sit down so the plane could take off, led to a 2003 lawsuit charging the airline with intentional infliction of emotional distress and negligent infliction of emotional distress. Two versions of the rhyme were attested in court; both "Eeny meeny miny mo, Please sit down it's time to go" and "Pick a seat, it's time to go". The passengers in question were African American and stated that they were humiliated due to what they called the "racist history" of the rhyme. A jury returned a verdict in favor of Southwest and the plaintiffs' appeal was denied.[14]

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

FCKGW posted:

A jocular use of a form of the rhyme by a Southwest Airlines flight attendant, encouraging passengers to sit down so the plane could take off, led to a 2003 lawsuit charging the airline with intentional infliction of emotional distress and negligent infliction of emotional distress. Two versions of the rhyme were attested in court; both "Eeny meeny miny mo, Please sit down it's time to go" and "Pick a seat, it's time to go". The passengers in question were African American and stated that they were humiliated due to what they called the "racist history" of the rhyme. A jury returned a verdict in favor of Southwest and the plaintiffs' appeal was denied.[14]

i understand why they were offended, but it is super possible to not know the crazy racist background of that rhyme

whatever racist subtly changed it to "catch a tiger by the toe" was pretty clever

y'know, for a racist

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
same reason i sued my high school for holding a "class picnic." post racial america my rear end

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

theflyingorc posted:

i understand why they were offended, but it is super possible to not know the crazy racist background of that rhyme

whatever racist subtly changed it to "catch a tiger by the toe" was pretty clever

y'know, for a racist

i honestly didnt know it used to be a racist rhyme until that jeremy clarkson controversy a while back

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

A Pinball Wizard posted:

same reason i sued my high school for holding a "class picnic." post racial america my rear end

good news! this is apparently a false etymology!

lol the people spreading that urban legend thing that people would make a day of lynchings, like take the kids down and hang a black guy while they'd just have a bunch of sandwiches and complain about ants

http://www.snopes.com/language/offense/picnic.asp

edit: super lol:

quote:

But Zaheer Mustafa, the equity officer, nevertheless decreed that "picnic" not be used because "the point is — the word offends." So the university decided to call it an "outing." Then, homosexual students took objection to that, and SUNY decided to publicize the event without using any noun to describe it.
Read more at http://www.snopes.com/language/offense/picnic.asp#OiVm572RftS6mH4S.99

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

just call it a gathering

my god ICP was right all along

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
no call it a picnic because that's all a load of idiot bullshit

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

good news! this is apparently a false etymology!

lol the people spreading that urban legend thing that people would make a day of lynchings, like take the kids down and hang a black guy while they'd just have a bunch of sandwiches and complain about ants

http://www.snopes.com/language/offense/picnic.asp

edit: super lol:

The guy above was really invested in saying that Zimmerman was right, and now he's really invested in saying that some urban legend of Afro-PC gone wrong is wrong! It's like he only comes out and makes statements of personal belief when black people are involved! Crazy!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Citizen Tayne posted:

The guy above was really invested in saying that Zimmerman was right, and now he's really invested in saying that some urban legend of Afro-PC gone wrong is wrong! It's like he only comes out and makes statements of personal belief when black people are involved! Crazy!

You are super weird in regards to me.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

theflyingorc posted:

You are super weird in regards to me.

Not just you

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol at the gay kids being offended by the word "outing", not everything is about you, chill the gently caress out

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol at the gay kids being offended by the word "outing", not everything is about you, chill the gently caress out

i don't get people who protest things that they could do a basic google on and find out they aren't true

cool mom chat: my mom is a very conservative christian, and my brother wanted to play DnD. she said "dont play that now i heard it was like satanic or whatever", but then she actually went to the internet and read that most of that stuff was urban legend and said "oh, none of that is true, go ahead and play"

why cant more outraged people be like my cool mom

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

my watch list is completely empty and no one has edited my articles in ages. it's kind of nice but also boring.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

i don't get people who protest things that they could do a basic google on and find out they aren't true

it's easier to be outraged than right

like the #cancelcolbert deal

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Citizen Tayne posted:

Afro-PC gone wrong

mods, please stop working on the database and plz

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

theflyingexecutive posted:

Being "outed" is a real thing while picnic is just idiot bullshit that never happened hth

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Being "outed" is a real thing while picnic is just idiot bullshit that never happened hth

it still doesn't mean that "an outing" is an offensive term

it means "to go do stuff"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

theflyingorc posted:

it still doesn't mean that "an outing" is an offensive term

it means "to go do stuff"

actually in our modern culture the word has multiple definitions, including revealing something that someone is keeping secret

either way to be offended by the word is to be foolish