Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

The Taint Reaper posted:

So I have a disc stuck in the drive and it won't come out. Tried the forced eject thing and the disc is still stuck n there. The Blu-Ray drive has yet to even detect the disc.

*edit*

It's making horrible grinding noises now after I turned it off and back on.

The grinding noise may be fixed by literally hitting the side of your console hard. I'm not joking, look it up on Youtube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Shouldn't new Games with Gold go up today? Or is the bone just getting 2 games at the beginning of the month?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Soonmot posted:

Shouldn't new Games with Gold go up today? Or is the bone just getting 2 games at the beginning of the month?

I think the bone's only getting 1 per month for now. They'll probably ramp it up as the 360 fades out and the bone gets more of a back catalog to give away.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Soonmot posted:

Xbone just getting 2 games at the beginning of the month.

EDIT:

Looks like they are in the process of offering a deal on Dead Rising 3 as a "deals with gold" thing, it shows up on the dash in that section, but the price hasn't changed yet.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 16, 2014

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Maneki Neko posted:

Xbone just getting 2 games at the beginning of the month.

EDIT:

Looks like they are in the process of offering a deal on Dead Rising 3 as a "deals with gold" thing, it shows up on the dash in that section, but the price hasn't changed yet.

Is the vanilla game worth $40? I've been eyeing it up, but I only played part two and I sort of lost interest in it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

mysterious frankie posted:

Is the vanilla game worth $40? I've been eyeing it up, but I only played part two and I sort of lost interest in it.

I thought DR3 was fun at $60. Remember it having a good amount of content. Certainly the most fun launch exclusive on either new console.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

If you get it, get the new DLC too. Not the season pass stuff, the Super Ultra whatever pack. It's great.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

OH HAY, looks like the xbox.com team is finally doing some poo poo, you can now actually see achievements and things for all your games (360, xbone, etc) on the site now:

https://account.xbox.com/en-US/Achievements/

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

http://kotaku.com/what-xbox-one-games-gain-and-lose-with-the-new-kinect-f-1591644475

quote:

If a developer uses the Kinect-free option, their game is flagged as a non-gesture game. Not only will the game not be able to support gestures, but system gestures—such as reaching out with both hands and bringing them together to minimize a game and return to the dashboard—will not work. Visual recognition features won't work, either, so, as Spencer told me, "If I sat down next to you, Kinect isn't going to realize I'm now there until I quit the game."

On the other hand, voice commands will still work. You can still say "Xbox, record that" and grab clips even in non-gesture games, Spencer said, noting that the system's verbal user interface will keep running. Since those voice commands are going through the Kinect, then the Kinect is doing something, just not anything visually intensive.

I'm ok with this. At least kinect-free doesn't nerf game/clip recording, though I think the PS4 still has better sharing options overall.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

I thought it was pretty solid but depends how you like GTA-style sandbox games. I hadn't played 1 or 2, but played through 3 twice (first playthrough took maybe 12 hours, second playthrough on NG+ maybe 4).

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Saladman posted:

I thought it was pretty solid but depends how you like GTA-style sandbox games. I hadn't played 1 or 2, but played through 3 twice (first playthrough took maybe 12 hours, second playthrough on NG+ maybe 4).

I'll have to grab it if it's still on sale. I didn't see it on the Gold deals list last night, but it might still be there.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

MrBond posted:

http://kotaku.com/what-xbox-one-games-gain-and-lose-with-the-new-kinect-f-1591644475

I'm ok with this. At least kinect-free doesn't nerf game/clip recording, though I think the PS4 still has better sharing options overall.

This wont confuse consumers at all

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Don Lapre posted:

This wont confuse consumers at all

The voice commands are cool and a welcome keep, but I don't know anyone that will be sad or confused that they can't make odd gestures at the screen to do something that was previously very easy to do with a button on the controller they were already holding

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

TheChirurgeon posted:

The voice commands are cool and a welcome keep, but I don't know anyone that will be sad or confused that they can't make odd gestures at the screen to do something that was previously very easy to do with a button on the controller they were already holding

If someone is used to it recognizing them, or using some hand gestures that are a system function and they just seem to stop working when using this game its going to confuse people.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Don Lapre posted:

If someone is used to it recognizing them, or using some hand gestures that are a system function and they just seem to stop working when using this game its going to confuse people.
I don't think anyone actually uses the gestures. They're pretty horrible.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Don Lapre posted:

Yeah and I'm saying that's a non-issue because the hand gestures are dumb as hell and no one uses them, which is one of several reasons why they are just going to remove that functionality

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah and I'm saying that's a non-issue because the hand gestures are dumb as hell and no one uses them, which is one of several reasons why they are just going to remove that functionality

Yeah, I am not saying that no one in the history of the world uses them or anything but I bought a bone at launch, use it every day, love it to pieces, use voice commands constantly, and had no idea that I could wave my arms around to minimize a game. I have never once use a gesture for anything.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Don't know if any of you have heard, but the Xbox One sucks. Just found out myself.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004
I have a game I bought off of live stuck download fully and then get stuck at 77% install. I don't really even know what to try but turning the system off and on again doesn't seem to change anything. Should I try deleting it and re-downloading to see if the install works right a second time?

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

Meatsicle posted:

I don't think anyone actually uses the gestures. They're pretty horrible.

Except for the goatse gesture. That one is the best.

I do think losing the Kinect auto-sensing controller thing might be the most confusing thing about it, but I'm not sure most consumers ever understood that was a feature anyway.

For whatever reason, my bone has refused to log into Netflix with my account. Literally no other device is having this problem - 360, desktop browsers, Apple TV, etc.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Robot_Rumpus posted:

I have a game I bought off of live stuck download fully and then get stuck at 77% install. I don't really even know what to try but turning the system off and on again doesn't seem to change anything. Should I try deleting it and re-downloading to see if the install works right a second time?

If by shutdown, you mean a full shutdown (holding the power button for 10 seconds), then yes I would try deleting it and re-downloading it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Yeah, I am not saying that no one in the history of the world uses them or anything but I bought a bone at launch, use it every day, love it to pieces, use voice commands constantly, and had no idea that I could wave my arms around to minimize a game. I have never once use a gesture for anything.

Same. Love voice commands but the only time I use gestures it's by accident and it pisses me off.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Microsoft needs to implement "Xbox Snap Friends" and I'll be happy.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

This can be solved with a toast message saying "gesture suspended while in this game/application"

NyetscapeNavigator fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 17, 2014

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Guess I missed the deal on Dead Rising 3. I'd swear it only popped in my store for a day and then disappeared again.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Guess I missed the deal on Dead Rising 3. I'd swear it only popped in my store for a day and then disappeared again.

I think it was an error, as the actual deals are the Tomb Raider remake and Strider.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Buckwild Dorf posted:

Don't know if any of you have heard, but the Xbox One sucks. Just found out myself.

Did it give you the cancer?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

This can be solved with a toast message saying "gesture suspended while in this game/application"

That would require it to be watching for the gesture. Unless you mean at launch it says gestures disabled.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Maneki Neko posted:

I think it was an error, as the actual deals are the Tomb Raider remake and Strider.

Laaaaaaaaame. I already played that. I wanted to play the otheeeeer onnnnnne.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Don Lapre posted:

That would require it to be watching for the gesture. Unless you mean at launch it says gestures disabled.

I'd assume it would happen at launch. On the 360, games with Kinect features (even when they aren't Kinect games, like rocksmith) have a standard "this game has Kinect features" splash screen at the start. It wouldn't be too difficult to have a set screen saying "Kinect gestures enabled/disabled" before titles upon launching a game for the small number that use gestures as opposed to buttons or voice in-game.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Got my kinect back from repair and it still doesnt work.

Tested with my brothers kinect and that works.

good to see nothing has changed at Redmond HQ!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I like leaving gestures on, just for the experience the xbox interpreting hand motions as commands. Like, last week, my wife and I were eating Thai food while watching TV, and the xbox thought the action of bringing a cluster of noodles up from the bowl, away from her body, then bringing them to her lips was a command to pause the movie we were watching. On the other hand, the voice commands work. On the other other hand, it also thought the Aaron Paul "xbox on" commercial was telling it to go to the Home screen.

I legitimately love my weird, jankity, consolentertainment hyper-v server center thing.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

you can disable gestures during video playback.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Laserface posted:

Did you see me complaining? I said I love the drat thing.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Laserface posted:

Did you see me complaining? I said I love the drat thing.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
w00t! Prime shipping too. Should get here on Friday!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Epic Hamcat posted:

w00t! Prime shipping too. Should get here on Friday!

grats, brother. welcome to the all in one family.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Got Outlast.. why did I play before bed.. oh god! :(

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/microso...adset&cp=1&lp=1

Xbone headset is on sale this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

stevey666 posted:

Got Outlast.. why did I play before bed.. oh god! :(

Woah! Had no idea this was out. Or even scheduled to come out. Thanks fir the heads up.

• Locked thread