Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
good morning everyone, i am very handsome

it's too late to respond to corridor's incredulity but come on as if you've never kissed a dog on the nose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindmillSlayer
Oct 16, 2013

I am eating a chocolate frosty it is enjoyable

The straw went flat tho

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Avshalom posted:

it's too late to respond to corridor's incredulity but come on as if you've never kissed a dog on the nose

AVVVVVVVY

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

My sister used to share her ice cream cones with Morris the mostly-lab mutt we had when we were small. He wasn't very kissable, but he was a good dog.
Eddie the spaniel got kisses on his handsome Spanish ears and did not enjoy them. He was also a good dog. I miss them both.

Shortbus gets kisses on the head and she tolerates them because she is a good cat and super chill. If Vanya was a cat he'd be a shortbus for sure.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
:dong:

where have you been?! i've missed you!

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
You guys I think i may be dying for real. I think this is going to be the migraine that kills me. I can't like turn my head or move my eyes or my neck and it's really bright everywhere forever and there's so much work to do but i can't

WindmillSlayer
Oct 16, 2013

Huntersoninski posted:

You guys I think i may be dying for real. I think this is going to be the migraine that kills me. I can't like turn my head or move my eyes or my neck and it's really bright everywhere forever and there's so much work to do but i can't

Do shrooms!

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

Huntersoninski posted:

Time for a lie-down with a cold damp cloth/napkin wad.

Don't die!

But do stop looking at the computer. I hope you feel better soon.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Avshalom posted:

Hey sexy!

Maybe corridor was expressing concern that vanya might be some kind of androphile? Nah thats silly. Hes just a dog! King dog :3:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Troposphere posted:

yeah that sounds really dumb for a graphic design company. graphic design is an art, just like any other. the best graphic designers are passionate about what they do as an artform.

He admitted to giving terrible looking products to clients because they wanted it to look terrible. Of course they don't put that work on display, but they do what the client wants them to do. He said he's had problems with employees who try to argue with a client about what looks better.

The company is a printer, so I get the impression that they just do whatever the client tells them to as quickly as possible. He's said that he asks people "Artist or "Tradesman" and if they pick artist, he tells them they shouldn't work there.

It's seriously making me want to cancel my interview.

quote:

oh also i got this coverall dress which has actual pockets which blew my mind

i'm so excited, for clothes

That's a cute dress. I love dresses with pockets!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Avshalom posted:

i let piper kiss me on the lips, but that does not make me morally inept

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Avshalom posted:

:dong:

where have you been?! i've missed you!

:toot: :dong: stupid summer homework + regular work + volunteering to table for NARAL. Last weekend someone told me and the other girls not to talk to his daughter (she waved so we said hi) because "you people sicken me". :toot:!

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Huntersoninski posted:

Do not attempt to work while having a really bad migraine! Get better m'love :)

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Meis posted:

Hey sexy!

Maybe corridor was expressing concern that vanya might be some kind of androphile? Nah thats silly. Hes just a dog! King dog :3:
*does her sexy dance, which is the same as her angry dance*

vanya is very courteous; if someone kisses you, it's good manners to kiss them straight back imo

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Meis posted:

Hey sexy!

i am the dog king

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Avshalom posted:

would you even say "Reubenesque" ?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Crow Jane posted:

Of course graphic design can be an art, and oftentimes I prefer it to "fine art". But if it's a print shop just making signs and banners and the like, it kind of is more important that you can get things done quickly, cleanly and to spec

Oh yeah, I totally get that and I know that's why he asked some math questions. It's important to accurately estimate cost and how much paper will be used.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Nessa posted:

He admitted to giving terrible looking products to clients because they wanted it to look terrible. Of course they don't put that work on display, but they do what the client wants them to do. He said he's had problems with employees who try to argue with a client about what looks better.

The company is a printer, so I get the impression that they just do whatever the client tells them to as quickly as possible. He's said that he asks people "Artist or "Tradesman" and if they pick artist, he tells them they shouldn't work there.

It's seriously making me want to cancel my interview.

That's a cute dress. I love dresses with pockets!

it sounds like one of my friend's jobs which is a tshirt printing place but she often has to steal other artist's work and do things against her personal morals and posts about how much she hates it on facebook all the time (which seems like a pretty bad idea to openly post about it all the time)

so if you're seeing red flags i'd say look elsewhere, you don't want to make yourself miserable :(

and yeah i love it it was on sale and super comfy and soft- everything i love

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

detectivemonkey posted:

:toot: :dong: stupid summer homework + regular work + volunteering to table for NARAL. Last weekend someone told me and the other girls not to talk to his daughter (she waved so we said hi) because "you people sicken me". :toot:!

Whats NARAL? I dont get the context of this post but that guy sounds like a butt

WindmillSlayer
Oct 16, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

would you even say "Reubenesque" ?

I like this word a lot. It's fun to say.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

detectivemonkey posted:

Be sure to tell corridor if anyone gives you a fetus doll.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

detectivemonkey posted:

...i'm so proud of you :unsmith:

this monkey isn't a detective but he wants to be one when he grows up

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I have a job where there is a way to do it right and a way to do it fast. I want to do it right because I'm good at it and enjoy doing it. I often butt heads with people who want to do it fast. It sucks, but it pays the bills and there's always time you can work on your own stuff or get a project that you can make your own.

But if he is already showing you that little respect, I'd be pretty cautious in the interview. Don't be afraid to ask questions, you don't want to get trapped somewhere lovely.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Troposphere posted:

it sounds like one of my friend's jobs which is a tshirt printing place but she often has to steal other artist's work and do things against her personal morals and posts about how much she hates it on facebook all the time (which seems like a pretty bad idea to openly post about it all the time)

so if you're seeing red flags i'd say look elsewhere, you don't want to make yourself miserable :(

I would like to second this advice, nessa. And also second the dress appreciation :buddy:

Loud Mouse
Dec 19, 2008

MY WILL IS THE CHEESE CLUB
NOTHING IS BETTER THAN CHEESE

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

why does spotify never loving work arghhghg

No clue, but a guy stopped talking to me on Tinder when I told him I don't use spotify. I have spent years cultivating my Pandora account, I don't need any of this newfangled poo poo.

Crow Jane posted:

Of course graphic design can be an art, and oftentimes I prefer it to "fine art". But if it's a print shop just making signs and banners and the like, it kind of is more important that you can get things done quickly, cleanly and to spec

I have learned this the hard way.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
NARAL is a pro-choice org in the states. I like doing stuff for them because my state is pretty awful and also older ladies come up and thank you because they know what life was like before Roe v. Wade.

A state senator here gives out fetuses, but I have yet to get one :(

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

So here's a thing.

I have a good friend who I love to bits, who is a massive social justice warrior. She's mixed race and her family is from South Africa and she cares very deeply about social justice and anti-oppression things. She's doing a set at this comedy night this week, which she did last year too. Last summer when we did comedy nights, she got really upset when one of the other acts did racist jokes and Jew jokes and hella called him out on her radio show the next day.
She just posted on Facebook that this year she's bringing signs that say "RACIST" and "DEROGATORY" to hold up when people make jokes that offend her.

I dunno how I feel about that, except that I'm real glad I said no to performing at this one.

E: I try to steer clear of offensive humour but I do have a habit of jamming my foot in my mouth when under pressure

Shithouse Dave fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 17, 2014

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Troposphere posted:

Well, it looks like I'll be going to the interview anyway, just for the experience, as I've never had an interview for anything other than retail jobs.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Loud Mouse posted:

I have spent years cultivating my Pandora account, I don't need any of this newfangled poo poo.

lets be friends

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Loud Mouse posted:

No clue, but a guy stopped talking to me on Tinder when I told him I don't use spotify. I have spent years cultivating my Pandora account, I don't need any of this newfangled poo poo.

Lol, dating has gotten even more ridiculous.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I think it's a good idea to take the interview as practice. It also wouldn't hurt to think about what lines you won't cross. Stealing other artists' work is obviously one, and find ways to ask about those things. Ask if there has been a situation where they said no to a client and see what their lines are.

I have to use comic sans sometimes. Does it hurt my heart? You bet. Will I fight to change it once I have enough clout here? Absolutely. But the rest of the job is good so I'll take the hit.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

I had pandora for a bit in NZ, when it first came out before they restricted it to the US. I miss it, it was great.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Nessa posted:

Well, it looks like I'll be going to the interview anyway, just for the experience, as I've never had an interview for anything other than retail jobs.

I second Tropo's advice- don't get locked into a job you hate. Good luck though, maybe it'll turn out to be good!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My advice is to get a job.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Pick posted:

done :cool:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Pick posted:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Shithouse Dave posted:

So here's a thing.

I have a good friend who I love to bits, who is a massive social justice warrior. She's mixed race and her family is from South Africa and she cares very deeply about social justice and anti-oppression things. She's doing a set at this comedy night this week, which she did last year too. Last summer when we did comedy nights, she got really upset when one of the other acts did racist jokes and Jew jokes and hella called him out on her radio show the next day.
She just posted on Facebook that this year she's bringing signs that say "RACIST" and "DEROGATORY" to hold up when people make jokes that offend her.

I dunno how I feel about that, except that I'm real glad I said no to performing at this one.

E: I try to steer clear of offensive humour but I do have a habit of jamming my foot in my mouth when under pressure

LOL that is terrible

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
speaking of my job at the mall today we walked by teavana and a lady basically attacked me trying to get me to try tea

i'm so glad i'm not gonna work in a mall teavana apparently their sales tactics are way different and there's a lot more pressure

Loud Mouse
Dec 19, 2008

MY WILL IS THE CHEESE CLUB
NOTHING IS BETTER THAN CHEESE

Shithouse Dave posted:

So here's a thing.

Seriously, why even go at that point? Does she even like comedy?

I mean, ok, yeah, some poo poo is racist and derogatory, but most comedians only use that material for laughs and are purposly being assholes in the moment.

VanSandman posted:

lets be friends

cool. I like friends

Schmeichy posted:

Lol, dating has gotten even more ridiculous.

I don't even know what happened. I was out of it for 2 years, and now that I am back, I just don't get it or want to do it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Even my absurd lifestyle is grounded by producing enough to warrant the resources I need to eat.

• Locked thread