Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

gently caress off human being the cg thread stopped being cool when the only other coastie w/ a sense of humor decided to swing from the rafters over some goonette. that leaves a fat airsoft nerd, a long-legged pissed off puerto rican, some old gay, a mustang rear end in a top hat idiot bitch, and some guys that like never, ever post. also me, and I pretty much hate everyone

Love you too, but you forgot the Airedale that posts every now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

krispykremessuck posted:

gently caress off human being the cg thread stopped being cool when the only other coastie w/ a sense of humor decided to swing from the rafters over some goonette. that leaves a fat airsoft nerd, a long-legged pissed off puerto rican, some old gay, a mustang rear end in a top hat idiot bitch, and some guys that like never, ever post. also me, and I pretty much hate everyone

So wait, "gently caress off because you summed up what happened in under a single pissy lil' paragraph!" ?

Fair enough, dude. Sorry about your thread, same poo poo happened to the Marine one after Schneider kicked it.

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010
So former submarine guy getting ready to go to OCS to be a SWO. Any advice on homeports/platforms/etc.?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

SpaceJustice posted:

So former submarine guy getting ready to go to OCS to be a SWO. Any advice on homeports/platforms/etc.?

I guess it's too late to say don't go SWO...

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

vulturesrow posted:

I guess it's too late to say don't go SWO...

haha, yeah. I'm 14 years from retiring, which looks like two sea tours from the generic career paths I've seen. Although I'm going to give the SWO life a chance and work hard at it, especially since I've never even been on a surface ship, I may look into a lateral transfer if any other communities look cool.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Haha holy gently caress I've never heard of someone with 6 years in talk about retirement. Unless you're planning on doing 28 or something and you're salty as gently caress.

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Haha holy gently caress I've never heard of someone with 6 years in talk about retirement. Unless you're planning on doing 28 or something and you're salty as gently caress.

Well I'm committed to a minimum of four years which will put me at my ten year point, at which point I'd be able to go to shore duty for (I think) three years. So after thirteen there's a pretty decent shot I'll just suck it up and do the twenty. Probably gonna be a quitter and not do more than the twenty though.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Hawaii.

If you like money and doing things you'll remember the rest of your life, go to Hawaii. The platforms take care of themselves (only CG/DDG there now).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I say Hawaii as well. There are plenty of things that will drive you nuts out there. There are daily frustrations that don't really exist elsewhere in the world.

However, not only do you live in paradise, you have pretty much the easiest access in the US of getting to see some of the most beautiful places on the planet. I got to go snorkeling in Jacque Cousteau'a favorite diving place on the planet in Palau.

I got to live two blocks from a sunny beach year round. Because I had a roommate, I pocketed about half of my BAH.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Not to mention the COLA whether you're on deployment or not.

I spent 4 years there and while I loved it, I don't think I truly appreciated it until I got back to the mainland. If you asked me where the best place I've ever been was (which covers a considerable part of the globe) I'd tell you straight up that it's Hawaii.

Here's the major catch though, if you're the kind of person that needs your family and long held friends you're going to be unhappy because it's often too expensive for them to visit you, and you're going to be hesitant to ever buy flights back to the mainland more than once a year.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Right now they're sending a bunch of CTNs to Hawaii and there's a good chance I might get sent there too. I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world, but it seems like the kind of place I'd get really sick of after the first year.

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010
Hawaii sounds awesome. Any comments on San Diego? Before hearing how awesome Hawaii was, that was my number one choice.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

SpaceJustice posted:

Hawaii sounds awesome. Any comments on San Diego? Before hearing how awesome Hawaii was, that was my number one choice.

I'd favor San Diego over Hawaii, but I've only been out to HI to/from my deployments, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Bonus in San Diego is that you've got much better range of platforms to choose from. I did both my first two tours as a SWO on amphibs out of San Diego and it's definitely the way I'd go again given the choice--relaxed lifestyle of the Best Coast combined with the lower stress amphib lifestyle is a good combination--especially if you want to get away from people taking the Navy way too seriously.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Octopode posted:

I'd favor San Diego over Hawaii, but I've only been out to HI to/from my deployments, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Bonus in San Diego is that you've got much better range of platforms to choose from. I did both my first two tours as a SWO on amphibs out of San Diego and it's definitely the way I'd go again given the choice--relaxed lifestyle of the Best Coast combined with the lower stress amphib lifestyle is a good combination--especially if you want to get away from people taking the Navy way too seriously.

On the flip side of this, you will constantly have your junior sailors being loving retards down in TJ.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SpaceJustice posted:

San Diego has as nice weather as Hawaii but costs a lot less especially when you fly home to visit your family for the holidays.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Stultus Maximus posted:

San Diego has as nice weather as Hawaii but costs a lot less especially when you fly home to visit your family for the holidays.

And if you have kids, the education system in San Diego is really loving good

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
San Diego would be my number two choice honestly.

I think it's incorrect to say that the weather is as nice, Hawaii will always be between 65 and 95, summer/winter/day/night doesn't matter. The water will always be between 80 and 85 and clear. Oahu itself has like 4 different climates between desert and forest depending where on the island you are but it's rarely humid because of the Kona winds.

That said, San Diego is in a time zone that is much more aligned with the rest of the country. The weather is also nice for most of the year, though the water is much colder. The nightlife is much more vibrant and you'll have the opportunity for normal things like road trips, sporting events, concerts/festivals, etc...

Hawaii doesn't have any major sports teams (except the U of Hawaii), major concerts rarely head out there and there aren't any great venues for smaller bands.

The questions you want to ask yourself if you're deciding between Hawaii and San Diego is:
- What ship class do you want
- Are you an outdoorsy person
- Will you miss family/old friends (I say old because you'll make new friends in the wardroom/waterfront)
- Do you have kids
- Do you attend a lot of concerts/festivals/sporting events and will you miss them
- Do you like road trips

Essentially, Hawaii is like living in a vacation for 2-4 years. San Diego is like living in a young, busy, and energetic part of the country.

Boon fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 17, 2014

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

ded posted:

On the flip side of this, you will constantly have your junior sailors being loving retards down in TJ.

By the time I left they banned everyone from tj

pick san diego tho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Mexico has always been off limits as far as I've known? But I've been in since like breakfast so

Lots of things bad about El Centro but being literally right next to Mexico and not allowed to go would suck.

Hawaii vs San Diego is a tough choice but I think the above posters covered all the comparisons

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I'll put in a token vote for Jacksonville FL, having visited there once. Not like that neck of Florida is wonderful, but it's certainly a lot cheaper than Hawaii or SD if you've got a full house, it's also going to be more or less only DDGs and your underways are going to be mostly fiddle-farting around the Caribbean. Point Loma would be one thing but I got the vibe SD got a lot of Big Navy bullshit, and I'm not sure Pearl isn't laden with it either, while Jax is pretty loving slack. I wouldn't want small kids in FL public schools, though.

If you can get one of the DDGs in/going to Roda that's the obvious choice of course

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'll put in a token vote for Jacksonville FL, having visited there once. Not like that neck of Florida is wonderful, but it's certainly a lot cheaper than Hawaii or SD if you've got a full house, it's also going to be more or less only DDGs and your underways are going to be mostly fiddle-farting around the Caribbean. Point Loma would be one thing but I got the vibe SD got a lot of Big Navy bullshit, and I'm not sure Pearl isn't laden with it either, while Jax is pretty loving slack. I wouldn't want small kids in FL public schools, though.

If you can get one of the DDGs in/going to Roda that's the obvious choice of course

I usually like your posts but you just told someone they should pick Jax over HI or San Diego. Your credibility is in tatters and you should probably go kill yourself.

Also, it's Rota, you moran. :colbert:

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 17, 2014

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Christoff posted:

Mexico has always been off limits as far as I've known? But I've been in since like breakfast so

Lots of things bad about El Centro but being literally right next to Mexico and not allowed to go would suck.

Hawaii vs San Diego is a tough choice but I think the above posters covered all the comparisons

naw we could go til like 2007 or so

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Like I said I'm basing that off spending a few weeks in SD in a sub and only visiting the big base once. Point Loma is chill as gently caress. I've never been a West Coast guy anyway, the home ports are nice but at least in a sub you're never home, it's expensive when you're there, civilian Californians are insufferable, and I prefer Italian and Greek girls and dealing with the excessive body hair over picking up some Thai or Pinay lady and finding a penis. I don't know how the experience differs on a skimmer. Also as enlisted the last thing you want to do is roll dice and end up with some horrible support ship or carrier, and San Diego puts you at risk of both; dunno if that's as much an issue for O-gang.

I've heard a lot of mixed things (again from sub guys) about Pearl, again with the caveat that sub dudes are only seeing a week or three here and there of home port, so most of that high BAH goes to pay for an expensive empty place.

Also I said it was a token vote, I expect it to get ignored. Seriously, though, go Rota. And yeah it is Rota, I even googled it and found hits both ways, woops

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

A bunch of kids were looking at Hawaii or San Diego since they had a couple orders for them, then the detailers dropped a shitload of FMTB with 1st and 2nd MARDIV along with their Med battalions, everyone's scrambling to avoid them. It's beautiful.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

genderstomper58 posted:

By the time I left they banned everyone from tj

pick san diego tho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christoff posted:

Ya sure it is. But does that really stop retards? At least it would mostly be a thing for his chief to worry about.

Personally I would say San Diego. Since I grew up in California and was stationed in Hawaii I would say overall SD is a better choice for the simple fact that if you get sick and tired of the area you are in you can drive for an hour and be somewhere that is NOT the island.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

ded posted:

Ya sure it is. But does that really stop retards? At least it would mostly be a thing for his chief to worry about.

Personally I would say San Diego. Since I grew up in California and was stationed in Hawaii I would say overall SD is a better choice for the simple fact that if you get sick and tired of the area you are in you can drive for an hour and be somewhere that is NOT the island.

They used to have MPs there who would basically force you to show them ID so yeah probably it stops most(junior enlisted are like the easiest people on the planet to spot, turns out)

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Hi, I'm from San Diego and have known lots of people stationed in Hawaii. You should pick San Diego.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Sir Lucius posted:

Right now they're sending a bunch of CTNs to Hawaii and there's a good chance I might get sent there too. I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world, but it seems like the kind of place I'd get really sick of after the first year.

If you're an N brancher Hawaii is the best tour before the Navy plants your rear end at Meade until you retire, that'll happen no matter what you try to do so you may as well get some sun while you can.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

DustyNuts posted:

Hi, I'm from San Diego and have known lots of people stationed in Hawaii. You should pick San Diego.

Also, Dog the Bounty Hunter ain't ever filmed a goddamed episode in San Diego.

Hawaii can't make that same claim

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

vulturesrow posted:

I usually like your posts but you just told someone they should pick Jax over HI or San Diego. Your credibility is in tatters and you should probably go kill yourself.

Also, it's Rota, you moran. :colbert:

Agreed. Jacksonville loving sucks unless boating or something.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Analogical posted:

If you're an N brancher Hawaii is the best tour before the Navy plants your rear end at Meade until you retire, that'll happen no matter what you try to do so you may as well get some sun while you can.

I'm already at meade though! I'm actually going to try to get a meade billet even.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

I love battleships. I think they are the best loving thing. Living in Norfolk I see the Whisky every day going to work. I like to think that if they recommissioned/brought back battleships I sometimes think I would unironically re-join the Navy (civilian now :toot:) just so I could be on one of those things.

sometimes...

Akula Raskolnikova
May 12, 2013
So, day four of Med Lab Tech C-school and I already hate it. Hopefully it gets better. gently caress.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Akula Raskolnikova posted:

So, day four of Med Lab Tech C-school and I already hate it. Hopefully it gets better. gently caress.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I mean no, it only gets worse.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Akula Raskolnikova posted:

At least you're not on the first floor getting psychology thrown at you and have prospects for outside employment. :unsmith:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

dialhforhero posted:

I love battleships. I think they are the best loving thing. Living in Norfolk I see the Whisky every day going to work. I like to think that if they recommissioned/brought back battleships I sometimes think I would unironically re-join the Navy (civilian now :toot:) just so I could be on one of those things.

Man, my CHENG on my second ship served on the MISSOURI as both a Fireman and an Ensign. I was jealous as gently caress.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Friends, I've lived a life trapped in shades of gray. Living, unknowingly, in the shadow of something so great, so delicious, so accessible and yet heretofore out of reach of the mind. Shame. Regret. Emotions that flood the senses in the face of what can only be described as decades of ignorance. A life bereft of the greatest of peanut butter based 'wedges,' but no more!

Today I have consumed a toasted peanut butter and banana sandwich; and it was good.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret
You're really living life in the danger zone.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Seqenenra posted:

You're really living life in the danger zone.

I hear those things killed Elvis. Better be careful, shipmate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

Calling out buttplug for being a buttplug is hardly a sign that leadership has no idea what they are doing.

As far as the conversation you are having goes, making the officer transition is a pretty good thing for a sailor to do in my opinion. Kudos to the guys who advance to the E7 level and are actually competent leaders though because we need them but most guys would be better off getting out and using their GI Bill. But if you want to stay in it makes sense to put in that officer package.

Believe it or not, I agree. People say stupid, obnoxious poo poo on the Internet - that's what the Internet is for. I highly doubt anybody that posts in this thread regularly says or does any of the poo poo they post here and if so, most of it is some pretty forehead-slapping-worthy poo poo.

Also, to the guy whose commander said he needed "more experience in his AOR before he was ready for Annapolis" - your CO sounds like an rear end in a top hat.

krispykremessuck posted:

Wait, who offed themselves?

buttplug fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 19, 2014

• Locked thread