Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
UniFi v3 has gone stable: http://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Updates-Blog/UniFi-3-2-1-is-released/ba-p/872360

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What was that, 9 months after the AC access points launched?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anyone using Aerohive? Did their webinar thing today, doesn't look quite as impressive as Meraki but doesn't look terrible. Should be getting a demo unit soon.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone using Aerohive? Did their webinar thing today, doesn't look quite as impressive as Meraki but doesn't look terrible. Should be getting a demo unit soon.

I've used both quite a bit and I prefer the Aerohives. An often glossed over thing with them is that you can host the Hive Manager yourself as a virtual appliance, and then the annual licensing costs for the APs go away, you just pay a small amount up front to add a device, and support if you want it. The analytics are also a lot better on the Aerohive than the Meraki, they look at the contents of packets instead of guessing which is what the Meraki does (e.g. not all HTTP traffic to YouTube will be video, and the Aerohives know this).

The UI isn't as polished as the Meraki one but it's a lot more powerful if you want to dive into it. Plus in my experience the support is better.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Caged posted:

I've used both quite a bit and I prefer the Aerohives. An often glossed over thing with them is that you can host the Hive Manager yourself as a virtual appliance, and then the annual licensing costs for the APs go away, you just pay a small amount up front to add a device, and support if you want it. The analytics are also a lot better on the Aerohive than the Meraki, they look at the contents of packets instead of guessing which is what the Meraki does (e.g. not all HTTP traffic to YouTube will be video, and the Aerohives know this).

The UI isn't as polished as the Meraki one but it's a lot more powerful if you want to dive into it. Plus in my experience the support is better.

You can host your own hive manager but the model is really based around their cloud-based manager. I'm not particularly impressed with their analytics either, but they are improving all the time. Support and community are pretty good as well. The 300 series APS seem pretty disappointing as well.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The AP230 is the new hotness and roughly the same price as the 300s.

Sym
Feb 22, 2006
Where am I?

Bob Morales posted:

The school district I work for is rolling out some new wireless deployments using Aerohive with a local HiveManager on ESXi. I believe we will have about 300 AP230s rolled out by end of summer.

I'm currently in the middle of the instructor led class, so far I've been impressed with HiveManager, I like it more that Meraki personally. I'm also impressed with how capable the APs are, they don't fully rely on the HiveManager to function and can be managed quite easily when it is inaccessible.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

We have several branches that have internet in the main office but have warehouses they would also like internet in. Typically in the past we've just used LAN Extenders over existing phone lines and all has worked well. However, we're starting to have some phone lines getting bad from the Canadian winters and rather than re-burying new cable, I've been looking into a wireless solution. Would you guys just recommend setting up some Ubiquity Nanostations? Is Ubiquity's outdoor equipment (Nanostation M) reliable in the cold winters? What is the difference between Nanostation, Nanobridge, Powerstation, etc? Which model should I be using for PTP wireless over small distances like 100 meters?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

NanoStation Loco M5 was absolutely perfect for a similar situation - ~60m link between two industrial units bordering a residential area. Turned the Tx power all the way down, still get a great SnR and they hit the quoted throughput figures easily. There's no need for anything with more power.

Also they were something stupid like £45 each.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

kiwid posted:

We have several branches that have internet in the main office but have warehouses they would also like internet in. Typically in the past we've just used LAN Extenders over existing phone lines and all has worked well. However, we're starting to have some phone lines getting bad from the Canadian winters and rather than re-burying new cable, I've been looking into a wireless solution. Would you guys just recommend setting up some Ubiquity Nanostations? Is Ubiquity's outdoor equipment (Nanostation M) reliable in the cold winters? What is the difference between Nanostation, Nanobridge, Powerstation, etc? Which model should I be using for PTP wireless over small distances like 100 meters?

For that short of distance you should look at Nanostation Loco M5 units. At that short of a distance though even with the NL5's you are going to have a very hot signal. So you will need to turn down the output power on both ends. You want to end up with around -50 to -55dB signal on both sides.

They will do around 90Mbps real throughput all day long. They are basically set and forget. We have several pairs carrying IP CCTV camera traffic from numerous outbuildings. Haven't had to touch them except to do a firmware update every now and then.

Edit: Beaten to the punch...

stevewm fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 13, 2014

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Is the only difference between the NM5 and NL5 the power output? They are only $20 difference?

Pardon my ignorance but what is the problem or downsides to a "hot signal" and leaving the power at the defaults?

edit: another question. If a branch has 3 warehouses, do I need 3 Nanostations at the office location or can 1 Nanostation work with 3 PTP connections to the warehouses?

kiwid fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 13, 2014

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

kiwid posted:

Pardon my ignorance but what is the problem or downsides to a "hot signal" and leaving the power at the defaults?

Ever turn the volume up so loud on your stereo that the sound comes out distorted? It's like that.

Typically you want to use the lowest transmit power possible to get a good RSSI on the other end, because using more power than is necessary amplifies the noise as well as the signal.

kiwid posted:

edit: another question. If a branch has 3 warehouses, do I need 3 Nanostations at the office location or can 1 Nanostation work with 3 PTP connections to the warehouses?

Depends on the angle. Nanostations are directional, and the datasheet will tell you how wide the beam is for a particular model.

If all three warehouses are situated such that one NS can "see" them all, then PTMP should be possible. You'll probably get better overall throughput with three separate PTP links on different non-overlapping frequencies though.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 13, 2014

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Awesome, thanks for the help. I'm going to order a couple units today to test, can't wait.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

kiwid posted:

Is the only difference between the NM5 and NL5 the power output? They are only $20 difference?

The NM5s have a bigger and slightly more directional antenna with higher gain than the NL5s.

These are the same devices that many WISPs use to serve customers and as such are designed for long distance links. The NL5s are actually good for a several mile long link, while the NM5s will go a bit further still. Since you are using them for a short run, you want to stick with the smaller NL5s and turn the transmit power down.

PTMP is fine, as these things are designed to do just that, however the 100Mbit bandwidth will be divided up among the 3 links. I do just that at one of our locations; the main building has a single NL5 and serves 2 outbuildings (that also have NL5s).

Also, one warning.. While these devices are Power Over Ethernet, it is NOT standard PoE! Ubiquiti uses their own 24v passive PoE system on the majority of their products. The Nanostation devices come with the required 24v power injector.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

nvm

kiwid fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 13, 2014

stevewm
May 10, 2005

kiwid posted:

Should I still go with a Loco for a 900m - 1km link?

I would probably go with a regular NM5 for that distance...

Ubiquiti has a link calculator website (http://www.ubnt.com/airlink/). You put the exact location of your stations and which products you are using and it will estimate your signal strength.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Caged posted:

The AP230 is the new hotness and roughly the same price as the 300s.

Been using mine for a month and it's pretty cool. The default radio profiles performed pretty poorly in my environment full of AP320s, but someone from AeroHive took a look at it for me and optimized it for our POE+ switching and now it's flying. 260 mb/s g/n on the 2.4ghz band and 1170mb/s a/n/ac on the 5ghz :black101:

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Roargasm posted:

Been using mine for a month and it's pretty cool. The default radio profiles performed pretty poorly in my environment full of AP320s, but someone from AeroHive took a look at it for me and optimized it for our POE+ switching and now it's flying. 260 mb/s g/n on the 2.4ghz band and 1170mb/s a/n/ac on the 5ghz :black101:

Wait, what? Are you using 40MHz wide channels on 2.4GHz? You monster.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Frabba posted:

Wait, what? Are you using 40MHz wide channels on 2.4GHz? You monster.

There's an option on the AP230s for Very High Throughput on the 2.4GHz, I have channel width set to 20MHz. Apparently the 320s support 40Mhz channels on 2.4GHz in n/g mode though, and it should throttle back if there's interference maybe? I'm tempted to try it out in a few places :o:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I have to agree that the default aerohive wireless profiles are a hot mess and that the 230s seem quite nice

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

So just for fun, if any of you got to greenfield a design for a 50k sqft office, one floor, all new build, 350 employees, 500+ devices, what you do? Reasonable budget and the main concern is that the wifi is perfect.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Aquila posted:

So just for fun, if any of you got to greenfield a design for a 50k sqft office, one floor, all new build, 350 employees, 500+ devices, what you do? Reasonable budget and the main concern is that the wifi is perfect.

Gonna need more info on that budget. What sort of devices? Offices or cubes? Any wired workstations or 100% wireless?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Aquila posted:

Who will be managing it afterwards? If you have they money I'd slap Merakis everywhere.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

Gonna need more info on that budget. What sort of devices? Offices or cubes? Any wired workstations or 100% wireless?

Let's say effectively unlimited budget. A macbook pro or air for every employee, plus most employees have smartphones, plus a few guests. Mostly cubes, 30-40 office/conference rooms. Wired network and switching infrastructure is separate and I think I have a good handle on that.

less than three posted:

Who will be managing it afterwards? If you have they money I'd slap Merakis everywhere.

Me and my networking consultant.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Aquila posted:

I'd hard wire the whole thing. F*** smartphones. No real work get's done on a smartphone.

less than three posted:

If you have they money I'd slap Merakis everywhere.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Do the needful and hardwire where possible because wifi is never perfect

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

less than three posted:

Seconding this. Boringly simple to implement and work with.

If you want to futz with it more, look into Ubiquiti.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

quote:

meraki

go3 posted:

Do the needful and hardwire where possible because wifi is never perfect

quote:

also meraki

I guess I'll give them a call. In our current office we're all aruba with 12 aps for about 12k sqft between two floors (9k/3k sqft split) and about 100 people. All wireless works pretty well for the most part.

Note everyone who needs a phone gets a hardwired voip phone, digium switchvox system, works surprisingly well. My linux desktop is the only computer with a hard ethernet connection.

Surprisingly Ubiquiti has a small office in our current building, but I don't think I'll go with them for this. I do use a Unifi AP at home though and love it for that.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
This is probably only tangentially related, but I'll give it a shot. We just moved our office to another location in the same city. We basically moved the network overnight, so the wifi SSID's and AP's and stuff didn't change, they just moved. A bunch of phones (that are connected to the BYOD wifi network) in the office show our former location when apps with location services are turned on. I'm guessing it's happening because our new building has complete poo poo cell service and GPS probably isn't super reliable inside the building either, so the cells are probably using the wifi network location thing. Will that eventually update to show our new location, or should I do something silly like see about changing the AP's mac addresses?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The MAC of the AP should have nothing to do with it. If its location based on your IP, it followed you when your ISP moved service. I don't know how that works with geo IP data. If it is internal, like Cisco mse or something, then you have to update the system config. GPS shouldn't come into play.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Partycat posted:

The MAC of the AP should have nothing to do with it. If its location based on your IP, it followed you when your ISP moved service. I don't know how that works with geo IP data. If it is internal, like Cisco mse or something, then you have to update the system config. GPS shouldn't come into play.

Unless they have changed something recently, both Apple and Google both do wifi based location services based on crowdsourced SSID/MAC, although that's usually done in conjunction with other services, GPS, cell towers, etc.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

News to me. It may eventually change then I would imagine. I see my AP on sensorly, since I'm the only FON AP in this county, same idea it eventually moved after I did.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Hey, I need a quick recommendation on a 24 (at least) port gigabit switch. I know these are relatively cheap/simple now but don't wanna misstep. Any recommendations?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Gozinbulx posted:

Hey, I need a quick recommendation on a 24 (at least) port gigabit switch. I know these are relatively cheap/simple now but don't wanna misstep. Any recommendations?

Bigger than 24 ports is a big price jump. Assuming you need no features beyond layer 2 switching I've been happy with TP-Link.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Gozinbulx posted:

Juniper ex4200-48T can be had for ~$12-1500 used, also has 8 PoE+ ports for wireless gear. amazing switch.
HP 1910 can be had for ~$500, managed with console and ssh access, no poe though
Netgear makes a 48 port all poe with 8 poe+ for like $650, web management only.

Cavepimp
Nov 10, 2006

Aquila posted:

Juniper ex4200-48T can be had for ~$12-1500 used, also has 8 PoE+ ports for wireless gear. amazing switch.
HP 1910 can be had for ~$500, managed with console and ssh access, no poe though
Netgear makes a 48 port all poe with 8 poe+ for like $650, web management only.

Big fan of those Juniper switches too. I prefer the HP Procurve 2910 over the 1910 (3com) though, and they're about $650 used usually.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cavepimp posted:

Big fan of those Juniper switches too. I prefer the HP Procurve 2910 over the 1910 (3com) though, and they're about $650 used usually.

Why wouldn't you do the 2530 over the 2910/2920? They're cheaper, and he didn't say anything about routing.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

If you had to do an outdoor bridge but at the other end, provide WiFi with an omni antenna, would you go NS --- NS - Unifi or would you do something like NS --- PicoStation?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

kiwid posted:

If you had to do an outdoor bridge but at the other end, provide WiFi with an omni antenna, would you go NS --- NS - Unifi or would you do something like NS --- PicoStation?

NS <-> NS for the point-to-point link, UniFi on a different frequency for client endpoints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

NS to NS for the point-to-point bit, something that isn't an Ubiquiti product for the access point part of the job.

But either way, keep the PtP and the AP parts separate.

• Locked thread